Morgan Moses

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Sign me up
UOK
Site Admin

Would probably take $5-8M to sign him. The Bears can barely afford to squeeze their draft class below the cap. Unless somebody with a major cap hit is traded, this isn't happening. Nor any other big move.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:18 pm Would probably take $5-8M to sign him. The Bears can barely afford to squeeze their draft class below the cap. Unless somebody with a major cap hit is traded, this isn't happening. Nor any other big move.
Redo some contracts - you can probably get that from void years added to Daltons contract alone
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 pm
UOK wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:18 pm Would probably take $5-8M to sign him. The Bears can barely afford to squeeze their draft class below the cap. Unless somebody with a major cap hit is traded, this isn't happening. Nor any other big move.
Redo some contracts - you can probably get that from void years added to Daltons contract alone
How do you put void years on a one year contract?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Have him sign it? Thats it - you can redo it that easily if hes on board

Worst case give him an extra 100K
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Eh.

At 30, he's going to want a 1yr stopgap deal, then look for 1 last big contract.
If Ifedi weren't here, sure, you could give him 1 yr, then see. But I don't think he's more than a minor upgrade over him and much older.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

WE already got two RTs in Ifedi and Borom, don't need a third.

WFT should be set at LT with the former Bear connection Charles Leno and Corn Lucas, lol
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm Have him sign it? Thats it - you can redo it that easily if hes on board

Procedurally, I’m not sure one year contracts can have void years since it’s a one year deal. If you could I’m not sure why Pace wouldn’t have done that from the start.

As far as Moses, he’d be an upgrade over Ifedi. But the Bears already paid Ifedi and they spent a lot of draft capital on a tackle that there is a good chance ends up needing to move to Right Tackle.

If they sign another tackle it should be a left tackle, in my opinion.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootba ... eam-o-line

"Last season, he posted a career-best 80.6 by Pro Football Focus, grading out as the sixth-highest-graded right tackle in 2020."

This is the exact kind of player we need on the line. There are ways to clear cap room.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:59 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootba ... eam-o-line

"Last season, he posted a career-best 80.6 by Pro Football Focus, grading out as the sixth-highest-graded right tackle in 2020."

This is the exact kind of player we need on the line. There are ways to clear cap room.
My wife makes similar styles arguements when she is shopping.

Realistically it wont happen, but I get it.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm
RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm Have him sign it? Thats it - you can redo it that easily if hes on board

Procedurally, I’m not sure one year contracts can have void years since it’s a one year deal. If you could I’m not sure why Pace wouldn’t have done that from the start.

As far as Moses, he’d be an upgrade over Ifedi. But the Bears already paid Ifedi and they spent a lot of draft capital on a tackle that there is a good chance ends up needing to move to Right Tackle.

One year contracts can have void years. What I'm not sure about in this case is a void on an existing one year deal. But that said, as long as we're talking voids, and player you can sign now you could add those voids.

The other big contract out there that they can shuffle around dead cap is Quinn. But I don't see the need.
wab
Mod

How many right tackles do the Bears need?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 pm How many right tackles do the Bears need?
How about we get to one competent one and go from there?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:23 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm

One year contracts can have void years. What I'm not sure about in this case is a void on an existing one year deal. But that said, as long as we're talking voids, and player you can sign now you could add those voids.

The other big contract out there that they can shuffle around dead cap is Quinn. But I don't see the need.

I think it's just a new contract - technically (I think- could be wrong)) most of the "restructures" are "new" contracts

Its funny that I was reading that on the Rodgers contract - where he has an "automatic" restructure - but they can't do it unless he signs - So not sure why its called automatic
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:23 pm

I think it's just a new contract - technically (I think- could be wrong)) most of the "restructures" are "new" contracts

Its funny that I was reading that on the Rodgers contract - where he has an "automatic" restructure - but they can't do it unless he signs - So not sure why its called automatic
Browsed through the text on this one. It's either a "renegotiation" or "extension". But I don't see anything specifically that would disallow a restructure of a guy you just signed. There is a 12 month restriction from the prior renogotiation however. But it seems not from the initial contract.

I guess the only confusing part in this hypothetical is you are basically trying to concurrently restructure and extend. It's not clear, but maybe you can't do both concurrently? So the extension would kick off the 12 month rule before you could restructure or vice versa.

I can't recall a guy ever restructuring and extending at the same moment...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:38 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:59 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootba ... eam-o-line

My wife makes similar styles arguements when she is shopping.

Realistically it wont happen, but I get it.
If she can pass block, then let's sign her up.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:04 pm
wab wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:31 pm How many right tackles do the Bears need?
How about we get to one competent one and go from there?
Right on. It's not about how many. We just need the one really good one.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

This is the exact kind of player we need on the line.
If you're going by that -
  • I believe Ifedi graded at something like 74-75 when he played RT last year.
  • 2020 was indeed Moses' best year. Look at a larger sample and he's extremely Massie-like. 75, 77, 67, 64, 65, 81 are his starting seasons.
Washington wouldn't be drafting Cosmi and signing Leno to dump him and his modest contract if they thought he was any more than a pedestrian starter.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If (big if) the Bears want to sign an OT, they need to sign one for the left side, season Jenkins for a year at RT, and then move him over in '22.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:50 am

This is the exact kind of player we need on the line.
If you're going by that -
  • I believe Ifedi graded at something like 74-75 when he played RT last year.
  • 2020 was indeed Moses' best year. Look at a larger sample and he's extremely Massie-like. 75, 77, 67, 64, 65, 81 are his starting seasons.
Washington wouldn't be drafting Cosmi and signing Leno to dump him and his modest contract if they thought he was any more than a pedestrian starter.
^^^ 100%
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:52 am If (big if) the Bears want to sign an OT, they need to sign one for the left side, season Jenkins for a year at RT, and then move him over in '22.
This would be ideal

Not sure any LT are left worth their salt
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:52 am If (big if) the Bears want to sign an OT, they need to sign one for the left side, season Jenkins for a year at RT, and then move him over in '22.
This would be ideal

Not sure any LT are left worth their salt
There's a few still out there but the cupboard is pretty bare. The available ones are on the older side, several are injury prone. Is it worth it at the right price?
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

It’s been mentioned often, but Schwartz is still out there and he knows the offense already. Would allow Jenkins to play his rookie year at RT, and Ifedi becomes great insurance for injury.
Xee
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:15 pm It’s been mentioned often, but Schwartz is still out there and he knows the offense already. Would allow Jenkins to play his rookie year at RT, and Ifedi becomes great insurance for injury.
I only did a little research but didn't Schwartz play right tackle for most of his career?

Even if he did play LT, I don't really see the Bears bringing in anyone else for the OL due to cap issues. As you mentioned in another thread though, we might have a pretty decent o-line already if the roll of the dice on Jenkins playing LT works out. I will be surprised if we see any more big moves.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:50 pm
dplank wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:15 pm It’s been mentioned often, but Schwartz is still out there and he knows the offense already. Would allow Jenkins to play his rookie year at RT, and Ifedi becomes great insurance for injury.
I only did a little research but didn't Schwartz play right tackle for most of his career?

Even if he did play LT, I don't really see the Bears bringing in anyone else for the OL due to cap issues. As you mentioned in another thread though, we might have a pretty decent o-line already if the roll of the dice on Jenkins playing LT works out. I will be surprised if we see any more big moves.
Yea, I'm not hard up on it or anything, but a guy like Schwartz might mitigate our two biggest risks: Jenkins moving to LT and Ifedi at RT. If we can sneak him in without cutting anyone I'd be for it, but I understand if we roll with what we have.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 pm
Xee wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Yea, I'm not hard up on it or anything, but a guy like Schwartz might mitigate our two biggest risks: Jenkins moving to LT and Ifedi at RT. If we can sneak him in without cutting anyone I'd be for it, but I understand if we roll with what we have.

Can Schwartz play LT though? If healthy he can help at RT for sure - but LT?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think we might be looking at a more appropriate candidate for LT with other teams' final cut downs.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:33 pm I think we might be looking at a more appropriate candidate for LT with other teams' final cut downs.
Maybe - viable NFL LT tend not to get cut that often though - especially at this time of year.

They aren't doing Tevin any favors (though at least they are making the switch as early as possible)

I am now over all the quotes from him - Gabe Carimi flashbacks - Prove it on the field

I keep getting this quote in my head every time he talks about being the biggest and the baddest

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons"

Who would have guessed LBJ was going to be my most current reference all week?