Rumor: Bears interested in Breeland

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/05/26/ ... s-vikings/

Makes sense to me. He's an odd guy, he seems to play really well but is never valued as a FA - something's off but I don't know what it is.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Last year we had 57 TEs and this year we have 43 WRs, so what the heck lets get 23 CBs

Back to being serious about it, I think he would be a good addition to come in and fight for a roster spot. Assuming it's a cheap contract (which is all we can really offer anyone right now).
IE
Hall of Famer

More room for competition. Why not stack a few areas of need and see who bubbles up. Might be a surprise or two.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-app ... -training-
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We need the help at corner. Competition breeds excellence.

Why not?
Middleguard
MVP

People are saying CB is not a great need for the Bears. Huh? At the very least, it's a HUGE position of uncertainty. Diversification is a great hedge against uncertainty.

But it looks like the Bears will have to outbid the Vikings for Breeland, and all they have to bid with is whatever loose change their negotiator has in his pocket at the time. They will have to string him along until they determine which of Hicks or Graham is in worse shape and gets cut.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:24 am More room for competition. Why not stack a few areas of need and see who bubbles up. Might be a surprise or two.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-app ... -training-
Interesting that teams can now bring 90 to TC, 10 more than last year. I didn't hear any cap increases to go along with that. Thus, teams up against it can only bring in more league minimum types.

Back to the Breeland talk.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

There's still things they can do to free up dollars for a guy like Breeland if they want to. They don't have to necessarily cut someone.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly the Viqueens are interested. Signing him will be another finger in their eyes.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like the player ok but not the timing. They should be planning for the future so I don't super understand the idea making moves to clear space to sign a 29 year old to a one year deal.
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 pm I like the player ok but not the timing. They should be planning for the future so I don't super understand the idea making moves to clear space to sign a 29 year old to a one year deal.
They seem to be behaving like they're only weak in one or two areas and maybe some cornerback skill & depth away from really competing for a ring. Personally, I agree with them.

They're clearly not rebuilding - they're expecting to make a run. They shored up the WR position the same way... serviceable depth and experience. I hope they consider doing the same at ILB if there are cap casualties coming up. And also TE IF Horsted isn't ready to come in and contribute (I'm a big fan of his - but this is his year to show or go). There really are few weak spots on this team. They're going to be really tough in the trenches on both sides... it's beautiful (on paper, anyway).

The future is important, but we can't ignore that they actually have to play this year and have limited options to shore up those few areas.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:48 am
crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 pm I like the player ok but not the timing. They should be planning for the future so I don't super understand the idea making moves to clear space to sign a 29 year old to a one year deal.
They seem to be behaving like they're only weak in one or two areas and maybe some cornerback skill & depth away from really competing for a ring. Personally, I agree with them.

They're clearly not rebuilding - they're expecting to make a run. They shored up the WR position the same way... serviceable depth and experience. I hope they consider doing the same at ILB if there are cap casualties coming up. And also TE IF Horsted isn't ready to come in and contribute (I'm a big fan of his - but this is his year to show or go). There really are few weak spots on this team. They're going to be really tough in the trenches on both sides... it's beautiful (on paper, anyway).

The future is important, but we can't ignore that they actually have to play this year and have limited options to shore up those few areas.
Agree. I'm sure I'm setting myself up for a big fall here, but I couldn't disagree more with the national pundits and roughly half of this board who don't think we're going to have a good season. Now, I AM a homer and tend to think we'll be pretty decent most years. But I have a different feeling about this year, the closest thing I can point to is how I felt heading into the 2001 season. We weren't very good the year prior and every pundit had us sucking again the next year, but I remember feeling strongly they were wrong and we ended up going 13-3.
Here's some similarities:

We appeared to be "better QB play away" from being a decent team.

We were coming off an awful experience with a rookie QB bust (McNown) and had brought in a competent vet QB in Jim Miller.

We were soft up front on defense the year prior, sporting Jim Flanigan/Mike Wells inside. That offseason we signed both Ted Washington and Keith Traylor and I remember thinking that no one will be able to run on us and how that would make Urlacher and Mike Brown great weapons.

We brought in a new defense scheme because the old one sucked hard (Jauron).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i certainly get both sides. i want to throw all the young bucks into the fire so we truly know what we have going into 2022. But also there are enough question marks in the secondary that poor CB play could very well tank our season. And while I dont think management has any real delusions of grandeur regarding winning a super bowl next year, if we seemingly dont show real progress seats could get for real hot.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I was kinda hoping Pace would go get this guy.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

YES! I think we needed that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 pm YES! I think we needed that.
We needed Breeland to sign with the Vikings?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Fuck. I thought it was the Bears. Need to learn to read. I really wanted him.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was hoping that the Vikings were going to suck this year to help us out but instead they had a pretty good offseason
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m not gonna get too upset here, he didn’t seem to have a big market this year or last. There’s gotta be a reason, but he sure seemed decent to me.

It’s time for Shelley and Vildor to step up.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Dplank - I can share that optimism for next year

- And that is even if Andy Dalton gets a chunk of the playing time

Though our QBs last year - both bad - still put up nearly 4000 Yards too (Yards are obviously overrated but still)

Defense - I think the no Pagano thing helps (losing the DL Coach will Hurt - but should that be offset by Goldman being back?)

Some better pass rush "luck" for Quinn? Some continuity on the Safeties (and perhaps better use of Eddie?)

CB will hurt us - it's clearly worse

OL probably better (we weren't the worst OL in the league last year though clearly in the 20s somewhere) - even if you get that to say #15 - that's a nice improvement - I was never super down on Leno like some so Tevin needs to play solid to overcome that bar (unlike the Coward snaps where having a pulse might get you better performance)
wulfy
MVP

I actually like Steven Nelson better if he's an option.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am I actually like Steven Nelson better if he's an option.
Co-sign
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:30 pm I was hoping that the Vikings were going to suck this year to help us out but instead they had a pretty good offseason
Zim isn't going to have a bad defense for long. I expect him to re-tool pronto on D... and that offense isn't anything to fall asleep on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes are better than the Packers this year (even with Rodgers).

I really really hope Mond doesn't work out. I know they feel the exact same way about Fields.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am
crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:30 pm I was hoping that the Vikings were going to suck this year to help us out but instead they had a pretty good offseason
Zim isn't going to have a bad defense for long. I expect him to re-tool pronto on D... and that offense isn't anything to fall asleep on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes are better than the Packers this year (even with Rodgers).

I really really hope Mond doesn't work out. I know they feel the exact same way about Fields.
I'm probably the low man on Fields - but him v. Mond isn't even a comparison - Mond will go down as a wasted draft pick IMHO