Update: Morgan Moses appears to be headed to NY Jets

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Adam Schefter wrote:Former WFT OT Morgan Moses is scheduled to visit the Bears on Wednesday, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 1, 2021
Plays RT, could also be swing tackle. 15th Ranked OT by PFF in 2020.
UOK
Site Admin

Money will open up as of tomorrow since Leno's contract will come off the books.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

PFF’s Brad Spielberger says
After the Bears clear $9M in cap space tomorrow with Charles Leno's release, they'll have ~$8.4M (someone else replaces him on Top 51)

Rookie class should account for ~$3.84 million in 2021 cap space, so Bears still at just $4.5M (in-season wiggle room, not much more)
He also predicted Breeland would be 1/$2.5m and Moses would be more like 1/$5m so they would need to squeeze him in somehow. I always come back to a Mack extension or of course a deal with ARob. They could also waive Miller if they can’t move him and save a little bit of money
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

The entire Bears OL is going to be RTs and former centers.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:28 am The entire Bears OL is going to be RTs and former centers.
It could be worse. It could be way worse.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:32 am
wab wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:28 am The entire Bears OL is going to be RTs and former centers.
Agreed. And it has been. *shudder*
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm with you guys here, Moses appears too "overlappy" for me. I'd be all over getting Breeland though, a clear need.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:00 pm I'm with you guys here, Moses appears too "overlappy" for me. I'd be all over getting Breeland though, a clear need.
Wheres my build the lines guy!??!? (Playing)

I think Moses is better than Ifedi (but competition and depth - hurrah)

Breeland is more of a clear need - though I suspect we'd disagree on how much more

Three things:
1) If Moses is good that can potentially help your 1st Round QB
2) If Moses is good - that could mean he gets a monster FA contract- elsewhere which could mean a nice Comp pick (Tackles are undersupplied so tend to get overpaid on Day 1 of FA)
3). I just think Moses is a better football player than Breeland
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ifedi actually helped stabilize the line when he played RT last year. Now they have Borom and Wilkinson to provide competition at the position. Bringing in a LT, I can see that. Bringing in Breeland, that also. This is nothing but confusing.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 am Ifedi actually helped stabilize the line when he played RT last year. Now they have Borom and Wilkinson to provide competition at the position. Bringing in a LT, I can see that. Bringing in Breeland, that also. This is nothing but confusing.
I really think most of the "stabilization "was just no Coward - I didn't think the OL was ever Good
wulfy
MVP

I think I'm more worried about Mustifer than I am Ifedi. Very small sample size on him during the Bum Slayer tour ....
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moses had a career year, for him, last season pff grade 80 which was top 5 for RT. The three seasons prior he sat around 65.

Ifedi was around 65 last season, but historically has been mid to low 50’s.

So it all depends on if they believe ifedi is finally putting it together and will continue to improve or if they want someone with a probable floor of last season ifedi and recent production well over that along with increasing their proven depth.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeah, they could be former defensive ends.

Hoog
Player of the Month

Hoog approved signing here. This cat is the complete RT we need. You would then have the flexible Wilkinson, Ifedi, and Bars to cover the back up spots. All have played tackle/guard so if anyone goes down they fill in or if it's Mustipher you slide Daniels over. Win and Win. Pace is actually showing he knows something about football now.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The problem is the money. If it comes down to him or an upgrade at CB, give me the CB.
IE
Hall of Famer

I get the interest... if they hadn't already re-signed Ifedi. They're not moving Ifedi back to RG and his coach said he expects him to really step up this year and play at probowl level. So Moses is superfluous.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:32 pm

Yeah, they could be former defensive ends.

Not many Big Cat Williams' making the change.
wulfy
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:04 am
Not many Big Cat Williams' making the change.
Don't forget Mark Bortz!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Players do it late in College too

It's kind of player specific - does not need to be a blanket rule like you can't pick a Tight End taller than 6'5 Or you can't draft a QB in the 6th Round if you only have 5 picks in the draft

Those rules are founded on real science!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Biggest knock I read on Jenkins was his arm length: 33.5". Supposedly 34" is the 'minimum' for a decent OT, with 33" being the floor. Thing is, there are numerous successful OTs in the NFL with the same arm length as TJ.
IE
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas famously had 32" arms and that was considered a show-stopper for many leading up to that draft.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I really don't get how a half in arm length is going to either make or break an offensive tackle. Never have understood that.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 am I really don't get how a half in arm length is going to either make or break an offensive tackle. Never have understood that.
It is definitely a bit of a disadvantage if some guys have arms 3 inches longer. And I supposed if you looked at a chart with that particular characteristic mapped over other data (e.g. sacks allowed, years in the league, probowls, and such) it would be skewed in the direction of longer-armed fellows having more success. Just like QB height has a median and if you're to the left of it significantly you have to bring a lot to the table to counter it (speed, smarts, athleticism, leadership). But like with QB height, an OT being less than ideal with that one characteristic can't be a showstopper. Joe Thomas might be a good comp for Jenkins... motor, really good athlete, fierce dude on the field, and sort of known for being great but also having his own style of blocking (which he almost certainly developed to be as effective as he could with the tools he had).
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I had to check it out, Joe Thomas was measured at 32-1/2" arm length. Jake Long was only a bit longer. I'm assuming Thomas, with his great technique, worked on his technique so it wasn't a hinderance in keeping guys out of the backfield. Obviously worked.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:18 pm I had to check it out, Joe Thomas was measured at 32-1/2" arm length. Jake Long was only a bit longer. I'm assuming Thomas, with his great technique, worked on his technique so it wasn't a hinderance in keeping guys out of the backfield. Obviously worked.
https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/4/2 ... short-arms
IE
Hall of Famer

Cool... I found actual charts with arm length plotted over other stats!

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Good article. Actually didn't find any correlation. Maybe even a negative one. There is a trade off it would seem. Longer arms would give you the ability to keep defenders off of you, but longer arms would actually be harder to develop strength in them. Guys with shorter arms certainly have a much higher bench press generally. Somebody like Muhammad Ali actually had a normal reach for somebody his height, but the way he turned his body allowed him to increase that reach and that stinging jab allowed him to keep guys away.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

There is also some noise in the data (ALOT of that for the NFL)

Take a guy like Joe Thomas - he was indeed awesome and with less than ideal arm length - but could very much play the position. So he goes there - and he is indeed great

A guy who is more "average" - if he was 35 inch arms - they probably give him a chance at tackle - 32 inch? He's Guard all the way -So the more average guys are off the position before they are exposed

Which means blanket rules are still dumb (Don't say you won't draft TE over 6'5 or you can never draft a QB in the 5th/6th Round if you only have 5 picks in a given year - It's bad.

It's a little bit of what pushes up Guard pay against LT (even though LT is still paid more) - But LT get signed early or Franchised - Usually don't get to real Day 1 FA (and if they do you see the premium paid for average like Nate Solder) - but Guards get there all the time and get the "extra" money

Longer Arms will help you at every Offense Line position - it's a net positive to have
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Bears and Jets have a mandatory minicamp June 15 so I think somebody either signs Moses before then, or nothing happens until training camp in late July/August.
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:40 pm Cool... I found actual charts with arm length plotted over other stats!

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
An interesting find.
I was really startled by the data at first.
But the more I think about it, I think it's using a biased pool and asking the wrong question.

Yes, the shorter armed Ts are performing as well as the longer armed Ts...because all the shorter armed Ts who couldn't/didn't perform well at T got moved inside.

I think maybe a better metric would be: what % of OLmen (first 3 rounds, all 7 rounds, some pool) with short/long (or S/M/L) arms become Career Starting Tackles (some cutoff of years/starts). Or maybe just have NFL careers of X/Y years/starts. (One issue of murkiness is that backups are often expected to play inside and outside).

My thinking is that, if, say
25% of Larms become career starting tackles, but only
10% of Sarms become career starting tackles (and everything we know says that ext is more valued than int - iow, if a guy might be able play outside, he almost always will get that chance)
then you should be able to conclude that L arms are significantly advantageous. (Which is already suggested by looking at the elite Ts, where they do definitely have longer arms)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.