Update: WR Dazz Newsome removed from PUP list

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

IE
Hall of Famer

IR or PUP or whatever, instead of practice squad - makes sense. There's really no room for him on the 53.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Yeah, feels like he's headed to PUP.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:41 pm IR or PUP or whatever, instead of practice squad - makes sense. There's really no room for him on the 53.
Agreed that it makes sense.

However, if it didn't happen and still assuming Miller goes, then I could easily see him landing the 6th slot as backup slot.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I sure hope Nagy wasn't on the sidelines eating Sunflower Seeds:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. How do you break a collarbone in OTAs?

PUP makes sense. Gives the Bears the option of bringing him back halfway into the season if we need to. But if he's better by training camp as projected, he'll probably be activated.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sucks but it clearly says he’ll be ready for camp, PUP seems an over reaction at the moment.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think Dazz was pretty much a BPA type pick because they really didn't need him, and they don't really have any intention of using him this year unless injuries.

Yeah he could slide into the 6th spot if Miller did move on. I doubt he will - I think the active trade talk was the clear message to Miller & now they're going to see if it worked. I think having a competent QB and better offense is going to bode well for the immature young man.

PUP for Dazz would be perfect to see how Miller plays out - and you're right that's probably the way Dazz would make it onto the 53 if he did (again which I doubt). If Miller is playing well in week 7-8 they could move Dazz from PUP to IR and dry-dock him until next year when they don't have the logjam of one year vets in front of him.

Even if Miller isn't playing great could see them demoting him but keeping him, in case of injury to others. Knowing he was on his way out, Miller would have incentive to play well and showcase himself if he ever got another chance.

The injury to Dazz is pretty darn convenient. Glad it isn't serious and looking forward to seeing him play... next year. lol
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

When watching what I think was his introductory presser on the Bears YouTube channel it didn't take long for me to realize that Newsome has nothing but air in between his ears.

It's unfortunate he broke his collarbone. Not sure how that happens in a pre-training camp environment.

But whatever....

spudbear
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:00 pm I think Dazz was pretty much a BPA type pick because they really didn't need him, and they don't really have any intention of using him this year unless injuries.

Yeah he could slide into the 6th spot if Miller did move on. I doubt he will - I think the active trade talk was the clear message to Miller & now they're going to see if it worked. I think having a competent QB and better offense is going to bode well for the immature young man.

PUP for Dazz would be perfect to see how Miller plays out - and you're right that's probably the way Dazz would make it onto the 53 if he did (again which I doubt). If Miller is playing well in week 7-8 they could move Dazz from PUP to IR and dry-dock him until next year when they don't have the logjam of one year vets in front of him.

Even if Miller isn't playing great could see them demoting him but keeping him, in case of injury to others. Knowing he was on his way out, Miller would have incentive to play well and showcase himself if he ever got another chance.

The injury to Dazz is pretty darn convenient. Glad it isn't serious and looking forward to seeing him play... next year. lol
I suppose if Dazz stretched out for a pass and landed hard on the ground then a broken collarbone could be possible.

Not to make this a Miller thread, but I agree with you IE. Also, it looked like Miller REALLY disliked Trubisky. It was apparent by his body language, giving up on plays and complaining during some of the games. Wouldn't be surprised if he blamed his lack of production on Mitch's inadequacy.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:35 pm Sucks but it clearly says he’ll be ready for camp, PUP seems an over reaction at the moment.
I tend to agree.

The thing about PUP too is that it's not some get out of jail free card either. He can't be on the practice field at all in that time. Then after 5 weeks when he can practice again, you have 3 weeks where he has to be active again. So you've a young rookie a 3 week practice period after a 2-3 month layoff. If he's legitimately hurt, sure, you make the best of it. But it's arguably needlessly harmful to development just to do it as a stash play.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:02 am
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:35 pm Sucks but it clearly says he’ll be ready for camp, PUP seems an over reaction at the moment.
I tend to agree.

The thing about PUP too is that it's not some get out of jail free card either. He can't be on the practice field at all in that time. Then after 5 weeks when he can practice again, you have 3 weeks where he has to be active again. So you've a young rookie a 3 week practice period after a 2-3 month layoff. If he's legitimately hurt, sure, you make the best of it. But it's arguably needlessly harmful to development just to do it as a stash play.
I understand what you guys are saying, but do believe that they have a challenge in wanting to keep him but not really having a space for him because of some pragmatic moves they made before drafting him. Is he really the replacement for Wims? I don't think so. They need another big body - and I don't think it is Ridley. So what are they going to do - dump Byrd or Goodwin? I don't think so. Let Miller go for nothing? People keep saying "yes" - but that's emotional and given the QB situation seems very un-wise.

Even though it isn't ideal from the kids' development standpoint, "hiding" Dazz for this year seems to make the most sense.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think the range of outcomes is still all here. He could come back in training camp and take the slot job or he could show he's a late round bust and get cut. Why assume he's good enough to be stashed but not good enough to play? Most of the WRs on the roster have not played in actual games.

It might be decided by how mad they are at Miller and Wims, and who can play gunner or KR.

Allen Robinson II
Darnell Mooney
Damiere Byrd
Anthony Miller
Javon Wims
Dazz Newsome vs Marquise Goodwin (KR)
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:05 pm When watching what I think was his introductory presser on the Bears YouTube channel it didn't take long for me to realize that Newsome has nothing but air in between his ears.

It's unfortunate he broke his collarbone. Not sure how that happens in a pre-training camp environment.

But whatever....

I feel bad that I laughed at this
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I tend to agree.

They could do it to bring another body into camp. If they put him on the active/PUP he can start train camp that way and be activated any time once camp starts. So it might be wise to do it in case he isn't ready at the start of camp. But if he isn't ready to go at the start of the season he has to be moved to the reserve/PUP and then has to miss 6 weeks.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/4/21 ... man-roster
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm a little surprised that people in here think Dazz is JAG. I'm fully expecting him to (and assuming Nagy and Co are hoping that he) seriously compete for the starting slot role.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 pm I'm a little surprised that people in here think Dazz is JAG. I'm fully expecting him to (and assuming Nagy and Co are hoping that he) seriously compete for the starting slot role.
Sadly those things aren't mutually exclusive
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm
RustinFields wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 pm I'm a little surprised that people in here think Dazz is JAG. I'm fully expecting him to (and assuming Nagy and Co are hoping that he) seriously compete for the starting slot role.
Sadly those things aren't mutually exclusive
[video][/video]

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm

I tend to agree.

They could do it to bring another body into camp. If they put him on the active/PUP he can start train camp that way and be activated any time once camp starts. So it might be wise to do it in case he isn't ready at the start of camp. But if he isn't ready to go at the start of the season he has to be moved to the reserve/PUP and then has to miss 6 weeks.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/4/21 ... man-roster
Pup to start training camp if his recovery is slow? Absolutely. But that's clearly now what some are talking about.
IE
Hall of Famer

It's not that he's JAG. But he IS a slower less experienced Miller. And they had already brought in someone to take that slot in Byrd. And Cohen frequently lines up in the slot, which is going to take reps away from whoever is the top slot on the depth chart. There's a logjam of experienced competition including one-year FAs brought in for that purpose for the 6th rounder to get by.

It would be quite a thing to hit on two 3rd day starter WRs in two years. Nobody wouldn't like it. But it probably isn't wise to bank on it. No matter how pedestrian one might believe that logjam to be.
Wounded Bear
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:05 pm When watching what I think was his introductory presser on the Bears YouTube channel it didn't take long for me to realize that Newsome has nothing but air in between his ears.
I finally saw that presser. He needs to use the word “like” more. He puts San Fernando Valley girls to shame.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
IE
Hall of Famer

This is why Miller isn't going anywhere.

dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm This is why Miller isn't going anywhere.

Terrible throw lol
IE
Hall of Famer

I know lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:26 pm
I finally saw that presser. He needs to use the word “like” more. He puts San Fernando Valley girls to shame.
Correlation between Like in the Presser and Breaking Bones?!?!?!??!!? :)
UOK
Site Admin

IE
Hall of Famer

Well I certainly was wrong about that. I thought they were going to redshirt him because of a logjam of guys in front of him... then next year that solves itself with Byrd and Goodwin likely gone. With Miller gone now that does change the mix a little.

But maybe I've been thinking about this ALL wrong. There's been recent talk about using ARob more in the slot ... which makes sense to me, if you have much faster/quicker experienced vets who can play on the outside and really take the top off the D. Or command the attention of the D in Nagy's beloved presnap movement.

I'll guess that Nagy wants to have WRs to be a little more interchangeable than in the past. Most of these guys can all play anywhere. The ones that can't are Dazz and Wims.

Here's my new WR depth chart:
- Z types: Mooney, Goodwin, also Byrd
- Y /slot: ARob, Byrd, Dazz
- X types: Byrd, Wims (2022 Draft priority #1)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I, like, don't really like this.

They have 6 WRs ready to go. Redshirt him a year and go with what you've got.
Who's he going to upgrade?

IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 am I, like, don't really like this.

Mystery to me too. Most realistically I think it probably comes down to "they don't know exactly what they want to do yet". And it is entirely possible that it is as simple as it will come down to Dazz versus Ridley for the 6th spot.

I can't imagine them keeping 7. Dazz can KR and Ridley doesn't play ST, so....
dplank
Hall of Famer

They drafted him because they like him, I never thought he was going to be faux redshirted. I thought he was the Anthony Miller replacement, same kinda guy. JMO, but I've seen nothing from Wims or Riley that makes me want to keep both of them around and I think Dazz has a spot on this team. Plus, some succession planning here, as ARob is likely a goner next season and both Goodwin and Byrd signed one year deals.

WR Room: ARob, Mooney, Goodwin, Byrd, Dazz, Wims (I think he is the only guy that can step into ARob's role if he gets hurt)

Also, as stated in the other thread, I think everyone is going way over the top of Cohen. I read somewhere on the Twitters that the report that he was still "limping around the practice field" was bullshit. I think they are being smart and cautious with him, but he'll be back.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 am
Moriarty wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 am I, like, don't really like this.

Mystery to me too. Most realistically I think it probably comes down to "they don't know exactly what they want to do yet". And it is entirely possible that it is as simple as it will come down to Dazz versus Ridley for the 6th spot.

I can't imagine them keeping 7. Dazz can KR and Ridley doesn't play ST, so....
Lol, don't redshirt him, get him valuable playing time time this year for next year when we for real make a run.
What do you gain taking away a valuable year of experience from him so you can play a guy you know is gone next year?