RB David Montgomery reinventing his running style

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/spor ... -as-runner

Montgomery sought to change that perception, so he went to work. Last June, he followed Bears teammate Thomas Ives to Chicago's western suburbs and began working with Chris Korfist, whom Montgomery called "probably the best speed trainer in the world." They used a reflexive performance reset as they aimed to refine Montgomery as a runner.

Korfist identified instability in Montgomery's pelvis while he ran with the football, which was part of his powerful style. Korfist compared it to a car driving with a loose axle, limiting its speed. Montgomery's ability to break away from defenders was limited.

"He’s actually teaching me how to run," Montgomery said. "Like, I’m 23 years old, getting ready to turn 24 here soon in a couple days. But I’ve not been able to run properly the entirety of my life. Me not really realizing how I didn’t know how to run, he’s definitely cleared that image up for me. He’s definitely helping me out a lot.

Since he started working with Korfist, Montgomery hasn't run a true timed 40-yard dash. But Korfist estimates that Montgomery is now at a 4.44 mark, a vast improvement from the 4.63 he clocked at the NFL Combine in 2019. Montgomery has added 1.5 miles per hour to his speed since he began with Korfist a year ago.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Interesting. But I don't know if, this far into doing something one way, you can truly make a permanent, fundamental change.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

First of all, good on Montgomery for being open to coaching. Obviously, any improvement in long speed would definitely help him. It sounds hard to change your gait when you're running unconsciously but maybe he could think about his form once he breaks into the open field?

Secondly, this reminded me that Ives has crazy athletic numbers. It's interesting that some of these guys just can't translate athleticism to performance.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020 ... -ives-ras/
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 am First of all, good on Montgomery for being open to coaching. Obviously, any improvement in long speed would definitely help him. It sounds hard to change your gait when you're running unconsciously but maybe he could think about his form once he breaks into the open field?

Secondly, this reminded me that Ives has crazy athletic numbers. It's interesting that some of these guys just can't translate athleticism to performance.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020 ... -ives-ras/
He's a big dude too.

Plus I would imagine that the jump from Colgate to the NFL was pretty significant.

As far as Montgomery goes, this is cool. I just hope he isn't sacrificing power for speed.
IE
Hall of Famer

This is a really good explanation for why I thought I saw something different from Monty last year from previous years or college tape. It was like "I really didn't realize he had breakaway speed in him". Like Monty himself said... who thinks a 23 year old is going to suddenly get faster?

But he did - he clearly did. And that is just so great
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I wonder if this is part of Korfirst's training:

Run David! Run! lol
Wounded Bear
MVP

I’m reinventing the way I get out of chairs.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:05 pm I wonder if this is part of Korfirst's training:

Run David! Run! lol
I love that movie. My wife rolls her eyes at me about it. (but she does that for a lot of things)>
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:24 am Plus I would imagine that the jump from Colgate to the NFL was pretty significant.
Yeah, I mean I thought my jump from Colgate to Sensodyne was pretty significant, but that's peanuts to the NFL. :-P
grendel2000
Journeyman

Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:11 pm I’m reinventing the way I get out of chairs.
I'm not... ;)
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 am https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/spor ... -as-runner

Since he started working with Korfist, Montgomery hasn't run a true timed 40-yard dash. But Korfist estimates that Montgomery is now at a 4.44 mark, a vast improvement from the 4.63 he clocked at the NFL Combine in 2019. Montgomery has added 1.5 miles per hour to his speed since he began with Korfist a year ago.
... what!?

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Not to put a negative spin on this, but I hope this doesn't detract from his power...

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:12 pm Not to put a negative spin on this, but I hope this doesn't detract from his power...
I thought the story was this started over a year ago, and I thought was an explanation for the breakaways that emerged from him last year. So I do think his short-distance stuff will be the same, and it is more about how he runs when he breaks free.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:22 am
G08 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:12 pm Not to put a negative spin on this, but I hope this doesn't detract from his power...
I thought the story was this started over a year ago, and I thought was an explanation for the breakaways that emerged from him last year. So I do think his short-distance stuff will be the same, and it is more about how he runs when he breaks free.
He sure looks like he has more speed here than he did in college. https://youtu.be/1WaO4F_4mCo If he's even faster now, watch out.
G08
Hall of Famer

I love the kid... if his 4.58 from his Pro Day is closer to a 4.48, that makes him even more of a threat.

Fuck, my football itch is starting to come back :evilgrin:

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

These speed coaches are great for track sports improvement. Generally not as much for football. As long as it doesn't change the running style to much it's a good thing.. The offensive line will have more to do with his YPC. I am glad he is working on his weaknesses.

That said if you watch a quick highlight comparison he does look a touch faster and his running style didnt suffer. However that could be a bias due to this article

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If you look at the eighty yard run, you'll notice that those defensive backs didn't catch, didn't even gain much on him. That wouldn't have happened in college. Also, looking at it, he's stride seems different to me when he breaks out. More like some of those track stars you see with the quick steps.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Here’s Monty working with his trainer:

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

In the trenches Monty will never break from his old style.
The difference is when he sees daylight. Monty never had that extra gear because he never learned to run correctly.

The way sport science has evolved is crazy. Between gait analysis from a camera evaluation, to a hands on medical check from a physical or athletic trainer, every movement aspect can be broken down and corrected if desired.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

I'm sure he could make significant gains if he can commit and change his muscle memory, which as a pro is definitely doable. Also agree with the comments about being able to keep a power style in the trenches and switching in the open field, definitely doable.

I'm actually going through similar myself, though obviously not at the same level! I've picked up so many bits of injuries, stiffness, tightnesses etc. over 20 years of rugby and a few nasty injuries. Converting into more of a 5k runner has seen me start to pick up some overuse injuries here and there. If my local physio can record gait and pick out where I have reduced mobility and tightness then prescribe stretches and drills to change then I'm sure NFL player money can get more!

It's honestly a nightmare though. Thinking about running rather than just doing it is incredibly weird. He'll have to get it totally instinctive before the season starts otherwise it'll go. That said tailored mobility adaptations, stretches etc. make a world of difference too.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:16 am Here’s Monty working with his trainer:

lol
You're absolutely correct. Here we see David practicing his Bureau of Funny Walks:
Wounded Bear
MVP

Nice!
Neil deGrasse Tyson