If we can't trade Foles, what about a Dalton cut/trade

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So if can't trade Foles, it's pretty clear that with our cap situation we can't cut him as other guaranteed money will become due.

The same isn't true for Dalton we could trade him or cut him without impacting our cap (we might even cap relieve if cut him, not sure how his salary is set up).

So what if we get to week whatever and Fields has taken over the starters job and looks like he will hold onto it.

Could we look to trade Dalton??? Unless some team has an injury I think it would be hard.

But what if we flat out cut him? Why do this? Well, I was looking at our comp pick situations (https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/) and it looks like if we cut him we would get a 5th round pick. We got robbed of one when Kevin White couldn't make it in AZ and gained one when we sent Davis packing mid season.

Could we use that rule to net an extra pick next year???

Lets just hope Fields show enough that it becomes something the team needs to think about.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I recently read an article suggesting that we might cut Dalton after 6 weeks (I think it was 6) for compensatory pick reasons. Basically, use those 6 weeks to get Fields ready, then dump Dalton and let Foles back up Fields, and it would net us roughly a 4th round pick.
Z Bear
MVP

No...the Bears gave Dalton a $7.5M signing bonus. They are going to pay $2.5M of that this year and $5M next year whether or not Dalton is on the Bears. His new team would only have to pay his $2.5M base salary in a trade.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'd love to ditch him, let Foles be the bridge, and get that R5 comp he ruined back.

But, unfortunately, that would mean MORE cap hit this year than keeping him. And they are struggling too much to handle that, I think.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

Not quite true either, the Bears would save the $2.5 base if they trade him. It is past June 1st so the big part of the bonus will hit next year regardless of what happens with Dalton.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

stop it. he's not going anywhere next year.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm No...the Bears gave Dalton a $7.5M signing bonus. They are going to pay $2.5M of that this year and $5M next year whether or not Dalton is on the Bears. His new team would only have to pay his $2.5M base salary in a trade.
It looks like he has 2 void years https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... lton-7750/ so his signing bonus is a $2.5 million hit in 22 and 23. So I think if we cut or traded him half would hit this year and half next year. So basically the salary we shed would be close to a wash depending on when we traded/cut him.

Like I said I think barring a team having an injury, not many would want to trade for him after the start of the season. But a team that lost their QB due to injury might take him at that salary.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm stop it. he's not going anywhere next year.
Next year he WILL. :welcome: I mean it's likely to his house, but he is going.

If Fields can grab the starting job and show he isn't going to let it before whatever the date for comp picks being on the roster and if our cap situation can handle it, they might let him go if it would net them a 5th round pick. We are down a 1st and 4th next year so I think they would strongly consider that.

Heck, if it's week six like plank says (I think that's pretty close) and we are 1-5 and Dalton looks like crap in all those games they could let him go to get the pick. I don't think we get there, if he sucks out the gate, he will be gone by week 3 or 4 and Fields will be starting.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:04 pm Yeah, I'd love to ditch him, let Foles be the bridge, and get that R5 comp he ruined back.

But, unfortunately, that would mean MORE cap hit this year than keeping him. And they are struggling too much to handle that, I think.
Not sure I follow here.

They can play all sorts of Cap games to get the money this year if need be - ESPECIALLY since they have to pay it anyway

If you accelerate 5 million to this year and you are literally at the Cap (unlikely) - just push some salary from this year into next year.

It's supremely easy to do

Eddie Goldman has a 4.75 or so base salary - convert that to a Bonus and you will be a good chunk of the way there
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm
Z Bear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:53 pm No...the Bears gave Dalton a $7.5M signing bonus. They are going to pay $2.5M of that this year and $5M next year whether or not Dalton is on the Bears. His new team would only have to pay his $2.5M base salary in a trade.
It looks like he has 2 void years https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... lton-7750/ so his signing bonus is a $2.5 million hit in 22 and 23. So I think if we cut or traded him half would hit this year and half next year. So basically the salary we shed would be close to a wash depending on when we traded/cut him.

Like I said I think barring a team having an injury, not many would want to trade for him after the start of the season. But a team that lost their QB due to injury might take him at that salary.
Never mind, his salary this year is guaranteed. So cutting him adds $2.5 but a trade would be a wash. (I think).
Z Bear
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm It looks like he has 2 void years https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... lton-7750/ so his signing bonus is a $2.5 million hit in 22 and 23. So I think if we cut or traded him half would hit this year and half next year. So basically the salary we shed would be close to a wash depending on when we traded/cut him.

Nope...the void years just spread out the hit, but if you look at the small print in his contract notes is says the contract voids 2/22/22. So no matter what happens, the Bears are on the hook for $2.5M of his signing bonus in 2021 and $5M of his signing bonus is 2022. There is nothing that can change that at this point since it is past June 1st. The only money that you would save is his $2.M base salary if you trade him.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:33 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm It looks like he has 2 void years https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... lton-7750/ so his signing bonus is a $2.5 million hit in 22 and 23. So I think if we cut or traded him half would hit this year and half next year. So basically the salary we shed would be close to a wash depending on when we traded/cut him.

Nope...the void years just spread out the hit, but if you look at the small print in his contract notes is says the contract voids 2/22/22. So no matter what happens, the Bears are on the hook for $2.5M of his signing bonus in 2021 and $5M of his signing bonus is 2022. There is nothing that can change that at this point since it is past June 1st. The only money that you would save is his $2.M base salary if you trade him.
Okay. Now I understand. If they had one void year, the bonus would have been $3.75M in '21 and '22. But they give 2 void years to get three years at $2.5 and then gut the last to accelerate the '23 hit to '22. I was trying to figure out why not just due one void year. Learned some salary cap magic today. Thanks.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Hell let's get crazy this is the offseason

Let's say a team that doesn't need or want Foles - makes the Bears an offer (assume we are screwed under the cap - it's a bad assumption but sure).

I wonder if an NFC East team would eat some of the Cap and take like a 6th for their 7th to ensure Dallas doesn't get a 4th Round Comp pick for him

NFL GMs move slowly (the cutting of the HB in season to get a comp pick - that is relatively new ground) - but this is unchartered land outside the Brock Osweiler deal
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:40 pm Hell let's get crazy this is the offseason

Let's say a team that doesn't need or want Foles - makes the Bears an offer (assume we are screwed under the cap - it's a bad assumption but sure).

I wonder if an NFC East team would eat some of the Cap and take like a 6th for their 7th to ensure Dallas doesn't get a 4th Round Comp pick for him

NFL GMs move slowly (the cutting of the HB in season to get a comp pick - that is relatively new ground) - but this is unchartered land outside the Brock Osweiler deal
I’m not following what you’re saying
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm I recently read an article suggesting that we might cut Dalton after 6 weeks (I think it was 6) for compensatory pick reasons. Basically, use those 6 weeks to get Fields ready, then dump Dalton and let Foles back up Fields, and it would net us roughly a 4th round pick.
They changed that rule last year. There is no qualifying cut date or whatever anymore. As soon as the player signs, he counts towards the comp pick formula (assuming he meets all other criteria)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm I recently read an article suggesting that we might cut Dalton after 6 weeks (I think it was 6) for compensatory pick reasons. Basically, use those 6 weeks to get Fields ready, then dump Dalton and let Foles back up Fields, and it would net us roughly a 4th round pick.
They changed that rule last year. There is no qualifying cut date or whatever anymore. As soon as the player signs, he counts towards the comp pick formula (assuming he meets all other criteria)
Fantastic note (and a good change I think)

Do you have a link for it? I'd like to read more
wulfy
MVP

I can't see anyway this happens. It's one thing to cut Mike Davis mid-season, it's a whole different situation to cut "QB1"
spudbear
MVP

Can we keep in mind what is best for the Bears now rather than try to squeeze a few million for cap space? Several factors to consider:
- Ryan Pace has stated unequivocally that QB is the most important position in sports.
- He knew at the end of the season he would be launching Mitch and would need another "decent" QB on the roster.
- Dalton was available at a price the Bears could afford, so that they would not be forced to pick best QB available in the first round.

Considering the facts that the OL will be revamped again for both OT's and JF1 has yet to take a snap as a pro QB. It would be unwise to divest the QB assets that Pace has collected before the season started. If the coaching staff can play it right then JF1 should get plenty of "mentoring" from both Foles and Dalton. He'd be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity.

Just because the stars aligned and the Bears snagged JF1 does not mean they have excess QB's. Once the season starts and another team gets a little desperate for a QB then Pace will have a better idea of who he can trade and make the best deal.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:45 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm

It came up with Clinton Dix this past year
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... inton-dix/

And he was indeed among the qualifying losses when the NFL announced the 2021 picks.
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL ... Clubs.aspx
Wounded Bear
MVP

New York Jets media is clamoring for a Nick Foles trade:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... les-trade/

Evidently backup QBs James Morgan and Mike White are looking less than competent even as backups.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
IE
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 am New York Jets media is clamoring for a Nick Foles trade:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... les-trade/

Evidently backup QBs James Morgan and Mike White are looking less than competent even as backups.
Foles has connections with those guys too. IF it happens, it will be to the Jets. That would be great. Good for Nick too - because he might beat out Wilson.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wulfy
MVP

Apparently Foles turned down a trade to go back to Philly:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... gles-trade
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:09 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:45 am

It came up with Clinton Dix this past year
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... inton-dix/

And he was indeed among the qualifying losses when the NFL announced the 2021 picks.
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL ... Clubs.aspx
Thank you very very much - I try and stay on top of things like that - but absolutely had missed that

Thank you again
Wounded Bear
MVP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... 42035.html

Another article talking about Nick Foles being traded to NY Jets. Evidently Jets GM Joe Douglass was in Philly when Nick won the Super Bowl.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Xee
Site Admin

Unfortunately that looks like click bait and there's nothing concrete indicating a trade might happen, just some guy saying "there's a connection".
G08
Hall of Famer

I can't envision any (realistic) scenario in which Andy Dalton is not a Bear through this season.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Wounded Bear
MVP

Bears and Jets definitely have been talking about a trade for Foles:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/2 ... ch-wilson/
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Umbali
MVP

To me it seems the at the very least Dalton is better than the clowns we were running out there. His cap hit isnt substantial and he will be on the roster even with Fields starting just for solid depth and mentorship.

Foles on the other hand will be traded if the Jets get desperate and when havent then been desperate? lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
dplank
Hall of Famer

Maybe we were clearing Miller’s 1.7M so we could afford the hit by moving Foles? Get a couple late round picks for two guys we want gone anyways?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What's weird to me about this talk of dumping Foles is...
If the plan is to have Fields sit until he's ready, which may be up to a year based on the way the same plan with Mahomes played out, then the whole plan goes out the window if Dalton gets a dramatic injury in a preseason game. OTOH, Nagy has said all along that Fields was #2, which is clearly in conflict with "the plan" as he has stated it. So what is "the plan" really?

If we do execute a Foles trade as is being discussed here, I hope the press asks Nagy that kind of a direct question.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.