Richard Sherman, anyone?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Wounded Bear
MVP

Breeland signed with the Vikings, so now it’s rumored that Richard Sherman is the next candidate to fill the right corner position.

Seems like a desperation move if there’s any truth to it.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Very stupid question.

Could he be converted to safety to play opposite EJax?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not quite the player he used to be but still has the mouth and ego which never stop. He got to become a devisive element on the Seahawks, fighting constantly with Russell Wilson. He's not worth it anymore.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d take him
Wounded Bear
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm Very stupid question.
It is the very reason for my existence.
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm Could he be converted to safety to play opposite EJax?
Yeah, of course he could. You just put him there at safety and he's converted to a safety.

Hell, we could play him at Fullback if you want.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'd love it tbh. he's the kind of cerebral, elder player that the entire secondary could learn from, and in a year of transition would be a great building block in that regard.
wab
Mod

Even at his age, I'd prefer him over Trufant or Burns.
IE
Hall of Famer

Nelson not available? I'd prefer him.

Sherman probably does have gas in the tank still. I wouldn't worry about his behavior - he's more of an energetic leader than anything. I'm guessing he'll be expensive and be the last piece a contender signs. Could that be the Bears? Maybe. Extend ARob and the money could be there... that would be quite a thing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think it would be worth the time to see if he has anything left to offer ... just have to lower expectations some as he won't be the Richard Sherman in his prime
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think Father Time and injuries caught him as he played very little and graded much lower than his average. 33 year old corner coming off a season he played only 5 games and gave up a 116 QB rating.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Nope: Locker Room Cancer.

Let's just check and see if Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson have anything left.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm Nope: Locker Room Cancer.

Let's just check and see if Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson have anything left.
Based on what? Sherman is a super-smart guy and a locker room leader. Being vocal doesn't equate to being a problem.

My only concern would be injury age and what's left in the tank. Well... and money.
wab
Mod

I don't think I've ever read that he's a locker room issue. I know he and Wilson weren't the best of pals, but I think that was more football politics than Sherman being a cancer.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yeah, absolutely. So many dudes have played with him and love him. Pete Carrol's a documented weirdo and his relationship/favoritism with Russ annoyed him, but other than that he's had no known issues.
wulfy
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:42 am Nelson not available? I'd prefer him.
Yes, he's still available and yes, I'd also prefer him.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If you have a problem with the QB of your team, by definition, you're a locker room cancer. Is this what you want our young QB to deal with:
In the final years of the Legion of Boom, there was a reported fracture between the offense and defense in Seattle. Many of the defensive veterans looked down on quarterback Russell Wilson, viewing him as a “company man” and a “Goody Two-Shoes,” according to Pro Football Talk.

Sherman was one of the main culprits, at one point telling Wilson “You f–king suck!” when intercepting him in a practice. The Seahawks let most of their defensive veterans (Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor) go in the years that followed, in large part due that fracturing relationship with Wilson.
Is this what you want? A fracture between our defense and our offense and most especially our rookie QB? I'm not a fan of Pete Carroll. I think he's a cheat. He was at USC. And then he ditched them with the consequences of his violations. But also by all accounts, he's very much player's coach. If he had to dump Sherman and other players from that defense, because of Sherman's attitude, I certainly don't want to expose our team to that, particularly for not near the benefit he once brought to the table. What happens if he comes to Chicago and doesn't even win a starting QB spot? He would unleash hell.

NOPE. Don't want him. We're trying to develop team chemistry, not me selfishness.
IotaNet
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:16 pm If you have a problem with the QB of your team, by definition, you're a locker room cancer. Is this what you want our young QB to deal with:
In the final years of the Legion of Boom, there was a reported fracture between the offense and defense in Seattle. Many of the defensive veterans looked down on quarterback Russell Wilson, viewing him as a “company man” and a “Goody Two-Shoes,” according to Pro Football Talk.

Sherman was one of the main culprits, at one point telling Wilson “You f–king suck!” when intercepting him in a practice. The Seahawks let most of their defensive veterans (Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor) go in the years that followed, in large part due that fracturing relationship with Wilson.
Is this what you want? A fracture between our defense and our offense and most especially our rookie QB? I'm not a fan of Pete Carroll. I think he's a cheat. He was at USC. And then he ditched them with the consequences of his violations. But also by all accounts, he's very much player's coach. If he had to dump Sherman and other players from that defense, because of Sherman's attitude, I certainly don't want to expose our team to that, particularly for not near the benefit he once brought to the table. What happens if he comes to Chicago and doesn't even win a starting QB spot? He would unleash hell.

NOPE. Don't want him. We're trying to develop team chemistry, not me selfishness.
I personally think that Wilson IS a fake, goody two-shoes. Look at him right now — trying to pretend that he had nothing to do with the “will he stay or will he go” drama surrounding his status. Wilson is the fan/media-friendly face that makes everyone comfy with his “Go Hawks” persona. Sherm called BS on him.

I’ve never seen him referred to as a cancer but he is smart. (Remember when people castigated him for negotiating his own contract? Worked out just fine for him.) He’s not going to fall for the okey-doke, and he not going to shave his locks to make folks comfortable.

Dude is a soldier and he has a huge football IQ. For the right contract, I’d take him in a minute.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Wounded Bear
MVP

And let’s face it, Michael Crabtree is a pussy.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If the franchise QB is having an argument with anyone, unless if that's with a Super Bowl winning HC, the franchise QB is going to win the argument right or wrong. Richard Sherman can be replaced for a reasonable cost. Good luck replacing Russell Wilson.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Sherman in his prime needed a S over him. He can be a smart short yardage, cover 2 CB, but I'm not sure we wan to limit our defense to that extent, or pay as much as he was making in SF for a limited scheme player.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Absolutely not. Stop wasting money on the D. If we sign anyone, it should be on O. The D has more than enough stars and playmakers already.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'd take him
cblaz11
MVP

I think we look hard at him if we think we can win it all this year. I don’t think we can with Dalton...and history would tell us we can’t with Fields.
WP.1
Player of the Month

“The spokesman said no one in the residence was injured.”

no bail - standard procedure
Xee
Site Admin

Wow, that's out of left-field. If true, I have to imagine he was drunk and/or had a mental health episode of some kind.
IE
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:43 am

“The spokesman said no one in the residence was injured.”

no bail - standard procedure
I'll guess at a translation: "Sherman went to retrieve something he considered his from an estranged acquaintance, and they called the cops".
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:57 pm
I'll guess at a translation: "Sherman went to retrieve something he considered his from an estranged acquaintance, and they called the cops".
Sounds very plausible
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

@Moriarty

Unfortunately it looks like there is more to it per this article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard-sh ... e-seattle/
Officers arrived and located the suspect outside the home and said he was uncooperative and fought with the officers, Perry said. A police K-9 dog was employed to gain control of the subject.
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm
Officers arrived and located the suspect outside the home and said he was uncooperative and fought with the officers, Perry said. A police K-9 dog was employed to gain control of the subject.
Yeesh...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

To me it just smells like ....

Sherman: "that's my effing house and I need to get something in there"

Cops: "you need to step away, sir"

Sherman' "fuck you man - it's my house"

Cops: "get the dog"