Tarik Cohen 2021 expectations?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Who will have higher expectations in 2021? Tarik Cohen or Kahlil Herbert?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Cohen by a mile
Wounded Bear
MVP

Well Cohen is a somewhat of a known commodity, so we know what he can do.

I think the real question is whether Nagy's going to use him correctly. If he does, then Cohen is going to have a big rebound year.

But I would not be at all surprised if Khalil Herbert turns out to be a legit running back for us. He's got nice speed, nice size, and decent vision (at least at the NCAA level).
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yes, he's a known commodity. But he also starts the season less than a year from ACL surgery. Is it a given that he'll be 100% the same guy this year that he has been?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

dplank
Hall of Famer

Herbert is unlikely to see the field as RB4
wab
Mod

I really like Herbert. He and CJ Marable were two of my favorite backs in the draft, and the Bears got both.

Cohen can be cut or traded pretty easily after the season if he doesn't revert to form, but he'll be given every opportunity to do it.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think this year is going to be a very interesting test of what Nagy really wants to feature on offense, especially when Fields is playing (whenever that is). The Bears will have choices to make at every skill position group - Graham is FA, AR12 is FA, Cohen potential out on the contract (save $2.25m), and long-term needs at RT. Most likely, in my opinion, is spend on WRs goes up, and RT is a FA or extension for whoever excels in 2021. The easiest place to save is RB.

I think this year Cohen will get lots of action and what he does with it will decide what happens next year. The younger players will be auditioning for 2022 in practice and on special teams.
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:22 am I really like Herbert. He and CJ Marable were two of my favorite backs in the draft, and the Bears got both.

Cohen can be cut or traded pretty easily after the season if he doesn't revert to form, but he'll be given every opportunity to do it.
I also think Herbert is a very interesting guy. Perspective of course... He's a R6 pick. And he was barely used in the passing game. But he's built like a guy who can play NFL RB, unlike Cohen who really hasn't done much when you hand him the ball. In a zone blocking scheme--that actually does block--Herbert looks like a guy who could rip off some plays. His high yards after contact also speak well for him. If he can adapt to the passing game, it's conceivable that he could displace Cohen next year.

When I look at Cohen whose game relies on superior quickness and change of direction, I just wonder how he's going to do on a mending ACL.

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:24 pm Who will have higher expectations in 2021? Tarik Cohen or Kahlil Herbert?
Tarik Cohen. Guy got a decent contract and had a bad injury. He's gotta prove he belongs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cohen was fun to watch and had production ... I just hope he is fully recovered and returns to form
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin