Nagy: No circumstance that Fields starts week 1

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

I can’t wait to see the kid, but I guess I get it.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

That is only half the quote...total clickbait. Nagy said: "No. I mean Andy is our starter. Again I can't predict anything. You know how it goes. There's so many things that can happen between today and Week 1. But Andy is our starter and Justin is our No. 2 and we're going to stick to this plan."

Dalton will start pre-season game 1 unless injured, even if Fields is clearly outplaying him in camp. Then things can change drastically in the next few weeks if Fields keeps lighting it up and Dalton keeps pooping on his leg.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'll say it again, Nagy does not get a free pass just because Fields is a rookie. If he chooses not to play the best player, and we lose games, that's on him.
Z Bear
MVP

See me previous post....just click bait. Twitter dude is trying to get his click count up by only posting half of Nagy's answer.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Gazing into my Crystal Football, I see Fields starting Week Six at home against Green Bay. That's the same week Dan Marino first started as a rookie. And what a surprise it would be to the Packers. But giving Nagy's penchant for gadgets, I also see him included a package for Fields in each game up until then.

Don't doubt the ghost of the Great Karmac!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 pm Image

Gazing into my Crystal Football, I see Fields starting Week Six at home against Green Bay. That's the same week Dan Marino first started as a rookie. And what a surprise it would be to the Packers. But giving Nagy's penchant for gadgets, I also see him included a package for Fields in each game up until then.

Don't doubt the ghost of the Great Karmac!

Envelope #1 oh Magnificent one….

Carnac holds the envelope to his head.

“Protected by the referees. Wouldn’t be a team if the league started today.”

Carnac opens the envelope.

“Who are the Green Bay Packers?”

@Z Bear

Great find. Nagy’s answer makes total logical sense.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Nagy did NOT say "there is no possible scenario that Justin Fields is the starting quarterback Week 1" ... those are simply not Nagy's words, but someone else's interpretation

I guess Daniel Greenberg is trying to get some hits and hopes people confuse him with the more competent, and unrelated, Mike Greenberg
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Good. I don't want him starting week 1.

Let the kid get his feet wet, see what a game week is like, watch how Dalton prepares, learn how to study tape properly, etc.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 pm
UOK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Nagy did NOT say "there is no possible scenario that Justin Fields is the starting quarterback Week 1" ... those are simply not Nagy's words, but someone else's interpretation

I guess Daniel Greenberg is trying to get some hits and hopes people confuse him with the more competent, and unrelated, Mike Greenberg
I'm not sure as I didn't see the Collingsworth interview, but I think that's what Nagy told Collingsworth today. He said something different in an earlier press conference.
G08
Hall of Famer

Barring injury, week 1 will be Dalton, Fields, Foles (assuming Foles isn't traded to the Jets or elsewhere).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

Dalton should start until Fields is ready AND can do more for the team than Dalton. IF that was clearly week 1 (e.g., if Fields demonstrated that in camp and preseason), then so be it. If he's looking good but needing time, by all means start Dalton as long as Dalton can do better.

The caveat here is if they don't think Fields is quite ready but Dalton isn't playing well for the first 3-4 games... time for the kid to learn while playing.

I personally think Dalton will play well and the Bears will surprise & start out 5-1 or 4-2. It's a good team with good weapons and an upgraded Oline. It is going to click. I might be the only one who thinks the Bears are going to go into LA and beat the Rams & send notice to the league.

Still want to see JF1 in packages from the start, though. Ease it in.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Every team is going to handle a rookie QB differently. The Chiefs sat Mahomes, Russell Wilson outcompeted a veteran QB and won the starting job. Nagy would do the team a disservice if he really closes the door on Fields being able to win the starting job.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 am Every team is going to handle a rookie QB differently. The Chiefs sat Mahomes, Russell Wilson outcompeted a veteran QB and won the starting job. Nagy would do the team a disservice if he really closes the door on Fields being able to win the starting job.
He's just trying to do an artful dance until he has more concrete understanding of how things are going. I expect him to make statements, be misquoted and end up offering clarifications for the next two months.

Twitter torqueing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 am Every team is going to handle a rookie QB differently. The Chiefs sat Mahomes, Russell Wilson outcompeted a veteran QB and won the starting job. Nagy would do the team a disservice if he really closes the door on Fields being able to win the starting job.
I watched the presser last night, he was pretty grossly misquoted in this tweet. Basically said as of right now Dalton is the starter, JF is #2, but we don't know what's going to happen between now and opening day.
UOK
Site Admin

Since this was a hackjob tweet, I'm locking this since it serves no further purpose.