Update: Eddie Goldman officially reports to training camp

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Umbali
MVP

wth? Damn he needs to be back with the team getting into football shape.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Maybe Eddie is done with football?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

OK so I put my foot in my mouth just a tad in another thread and learned that Goldman has asthma. Between that and his weight Covid could kill him. Whether or not he took the vax is between him and his doctor. The guy may just decide that it’s not worth it anymore. 100% his decision. Hopefully he’s managed his money well.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think he may have Pandemic Paranoia. Eddie, get the vaccine and get into camp. Don't worry about it.
WagonForce
MVP

The subtext here is unnerving, "We had a discussion" and "We're not sure if his absence has to do with the pandemic" doesn't compute for me. What did you discuss if not precisely why he's not at a mandatory team activity? Particularly where leadership confirms his absence is not excused?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 pm The subtext here is unnerving, "We had a discussion" and "We're not sure if his absence has to do with the pandemic" doesn't compute for me. What did you discuss if not precisely why he's not at a mandatory team activity? Particularly where leadership confirms his absence is not excused?
They're definitely using evasive answers and not telling anywhere near the whole truth.

I've said before - being 100% certain he returns is a mistake, until he actually does - or at least until you hear it from him, which hasn't happened either, to my recollection.

This may well explain why they shed Leno & Fuller, but not Hicks.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

This is disconcerting
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:34 pm This is disconcerting
Yeah I don't like this...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Has anyone even seen him since 2019? What kind of shape has he been in? Dude essentially dropped off the face of the earth.
wulfy
MVP

Don’t like this one bit.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Khyiris Tonga, your table is ready.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well at least they confirmed he'll attend training camp, but this isn't a good look
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 pm Well at least they confirmed he'll attend training camp, but this isn't a good look
They thought he'd be here for mandatory OTAs too... This could be bad.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

docc
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 pm Well at least they confirmed he'll attend training camp, but this isn't a good look
..WE WILL SEE..
Wounded Bear
MVP

I am very not concerned.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is what it is, move on, get the next guy ready. Gotta go with what you got at the moment.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If he doesnt show this year, do the Bears save any money?
IE
Hall of Famer

It is possible he opted out for more than just asthma. If he has some immune deficiency or sickle cell gene he may not be able to be vaccinated. If that is the case, he doesn't have irrational fear and could be legitimately at risk.

Let's give the guy a break he might just be wanting that extra time til camp. He's not a diva holding out for money, or a head case. He either has a health or personal issue and we want him to get through that as best possible & come to camp if he can.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 am If he doesnt show this year, do the Bears save any money?
I think they save his entire salary... 4-5MM
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am It is possible he opted out for more than just asthma. If he has some immune deficiency or sickle cell gene he may not be able to be vaccinated. If that is the case, he doesn't have irrational fear and could be legitimately at risk.

Let's give the guy a break he might just be wanting that extra time til camp. He's not a diva holding out for money, or a head case. He either has a health or personal issue and we want him to get through that as best possible & come to camp if he can.
I honestly do believe he's concerned about a legitimate risk.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm keeping an open mind. Until we know more there's no point in targeting Goldman with attacks about his work ethic or personal discipline.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am I'm keeping an open mind. Until we know more there's no point in targeting Goldman with attacks about his work ethic or personal discipline.
Agree 100%. I remember when Roquan missed a game under mysterious circumstances two years ago, there were board members (one who is now banned) who tagged him with "serious mental illness" and just ragged on him non stop about it.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:24 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am I'm keeping an open mind. Until we know more there's no point in targeting Goldman with attacks about his work ethic or personal discipline.
Agree 100%. I remember when Roquan missed a game under mysterious circumstances two years ago, there were board members (one who is now banned) who tagged him with "serious mental illness" and just ragged on him non stop about it.
Eh, in-season we're all keyed up as hell and when you don't get answers, theories run amok.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am It is possible he opted out for more than just asthma. If he has some immune deficiency or sickle cell gene he may not be able to be vaccinated. If that is the case, he doesn't have irrational fear and could be legitimately at risk.

We haven't heard anything about any other immune deficiency or sickle cell complications, but I was wondering about asthma. Could asthmatics have complications that prevent them from receiving the vaccine? I don't know. Just speculating here. I have read though that there have been some cases of Heart Inflammation possibly associated with receiving the vaccine, particularly in those under 30. Could it possibly be worse for those with Asthma?

I'm getting really concerned now. What if Goldman can't take the vaccine for one reason or other? It's possible we might not seem him this year either.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm

We haven't heard anything about any other immune deficiency or sickle cell complications, but I was wondering about asthma. Could asthmatics have complications that prevent them from receiving the vaccine? I don't know. Just speculating here. I have read though that there have been some cases of Heart Inflammation possibly associated with receiving the vaccine, particularly in those under 30. Could it possibly be worse for those with Asthma?

I'm getting really concerned now. What if Goldman can't take the vaccine for one reason or other? It's possible we might not seem him this year either.
I have had asthma my entire life, carry a rescue inhaler just in case or for use prior to working out. Also on singulair pill form and zyrtec(allergies).

I researched as much as there was available over the past year on COVID/asthma/vaccine prior to getting COVID and after for the vaccine. I had COVID(October) and also got the vaccine this spring. My dr encouraged it for me and my daughter that is also an asthmatic. We discussed all potential issues and again with the vaccine there isn’t any data suggesting a problem for asthmatics with taking the vaccine.

Even though the CDC initially put asthmatics in the higher risk groups for COVID complications as it was just thought to be common sense they would have more issues, over time it has been statistically proven, with the current strains, that asthmatics are no more at risk for complications and serious COVID than a non-asthmatic and there were a couple studies that actually showed asthmatics faired better, possibly because they knew and were use to lung treatments and had them at their disposal in many cases immediately.

Just my two cents and personal experience with it.
wulfy
MVP

I would think if it was asthma/COVID related .... it would be an "excused" absence.
dplank
Hall of Famer

My guess, pure 100%, zero fact based, pure speculation: He's fat and needs to get working on his weight and intends to work out on his own heading into camp.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:32 pm My guess, pure 100%, zero fact based, pure speculation: He's fat and needs to get working on his weight and intends to work out on his own heading into camp.
I would have the same speculation.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was thinking that he waited too long to get his first shot and didn't want to show up unvaxxed but now I sorta like the Fat Eddie theory, too
xyt in the discord chats