Akiem Hicks looks in shape

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Looks like he did 5 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

New contract year.
G08
Hall of Famer

Homey wants to get paaaaaaid
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:34 pm Homey wants to get paaaaaaid
If it gets him motivated more power to him.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 pm
Lol. I think it's called Capitalism.
Wounded Bear
MVP

He needed to come in lighter in weight if he had any hopes of extending his career. Good for him.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Save them knees a little bit. Hopes to get paid and then he can put the weight back on.
IE
Hall of Famer

Wow big time diff from when he came in in '19 looking like he was pushing 400. He was still carrying too much weight last year too, and hurt himself just trying to run.

He's secured his spot for this fall. Beyond that? Youth movement.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

He actually looks like he gives a shit again, that is nice to see. Let him ball out this year and then go elsewhere after the seasons over so he can get fat again on someone elses dime.
UOK
Site Admin

I've never thought Akiem Hicks never gave a shit. I wouldn't go that far. Guy got hurt and he's been playing subpar ever since.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:55 am I've never thought Akiem Hicks never gave a shit. I wouldn't go that far. Guy got hurt and he's been playing subpar ever since.
Coming to camp pushing 400 and cringy dumb-ass penalties that cost the team at important times is *sorta* like not giving a shit. Sometimes these guys let their emotions get the best of them. But getting that out of shape like he did in '19 is bad. His injuries seem to have been a function of his girth, which is a function of his commitment.
G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 pm
I'm good with it... kick ass this year, continue to be a great mentor for Bilal Nichols and help out the rookie, then get paid next year and get us a comp pick.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:58 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:55 am I've never thought Akiem Hicks never gave a shit. I wouldn't go that far. Guy got hurt and he's been playing subpar ever since.
Coming to camp pushing 400 and cringy dumb-ass penalties that cost the team at important times is *sorta* like not giving a shit. Sometimes these guys let their emotions get the best of them. But getting that out of shape like he did in '19 is bad. His injuries seem to have been a function of his girth, which is a function of his commitment.
Fair. Maybe I'm feeling pretty forgiving because I want him to succeed this year and don't want to dwell on past misgivings, and with that comes mild delusion.
wab
Mod

I often wonder if him getting so heavy wasn't a Pagano thing. Pagano always had that 350-400lb dude on the edge in every one of his defenses. Now that Hicks is back in a Fangio style defense, he seems to be back down to the 325-ish he's played at the bulk of his career.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 am

I often wonder if him getting so heavy wasn't a Pagano thing. Pagano always had that 350-400lb dude on the edge in every one of his defenses. Now that Hicks is back in a Fangio style defense, he seems to be back down to the 325-ish he's played at the bulk of his career.
If that's true all the better Pagano is gone. It doesn't explain the dumb ass penalties but does give me a little more hope for Hicks who I have been very down on. Hope your right on this one wab
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 am

Excellent point. If that's the case then damn... Pagano really fooked it up.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:20 am

Fair. Maybe I'm feeling pretty forgiving because I want him to succeed this year and don't want to dwell on past misgivings, and with that comes mild delusion.
Hehe... I'm totally delusional with off-season optimism... fully rationalized until we see differently. Seeing Hicks show up like this is piling it on for me. If he's back to being game-wrecker then imagine how Mack and Quinn and the rest are going to feast. Screw the summer - give me some fall.
dplank
Hall of Famer

This is great news IMO. I never understood those that wanted us to cut Hicks, the dude is one of our most important players. Assuming Goldman plays, our DL is set to be the best in the NFL IMO. Nichols/Goldman/Hicks is an absolute MONSTER. With Khalil friggin Mack on the edge? I mean, cmon that's gonna be impossible to run on when they are all on the field together. Hicks has suffered health issues, his availability to play is a big deal for us, and coming in fit is a big first step towards achieving that. I would love to extend him a few years and get a bit of cap relief in doing so.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am This is great news IMO. I never understood those that wanted us to cut Hicks, the dude is one of our most important players. Assuming Goldman plays, our DL is set to be the best in the NFL IMO. Nichols/Goldman/Hicks is an absolute MONSTER. With Khalil friggin Mack on the edge? I mean, cmon that's gonna be impossible to run on when they are all on the field together. Hicks has suffered health issues, his availability to play is a big deal for us, and coming in fit is a big first step towards achieving that. I would love to extend him a few years and get a bit of cap relief in doing so.
It is kind of a tale of two players. He HAS been the important guy you mentioned - but he's only successfully filled that important role for a tiny part of the past 2 years. Is that in dispute?

I've been willing to let him go this and last offseasons - for what I considered to be good reasons:
- showing up way to heavy to be effective, and getting injured because of that (multiple times... in '19 he hurt his arm falling trying to protect the leg that he hurt because he was too big, and then again last year he had an injury that was out of size and stupidity - ridiculously chasing Cousins as if he could catch him, and I remember shouting at the TV "what are you doing?" at the time)
- as many if not more detrimental plays/penalties at key times to hurt the team than even the hated Anthony Miller
- My core thinking is we cannot confuse 2018 Hicks with 2019 and 2020 Hicks, and there was evidence he wasn't coming back. When I squint I kind of see a Fridge Perry type career, where he was super good for a couple of years but then ate himself into worthlessness.

I think the assumption behind his value is that we CAN see 2018 Hicks again. If that is the case, that's great. AND seeing him in this shape is encouraging (but not a guarantee). But even if he shows up this year and is 2018 Hicks... what if he indeed does the exact same thing again - get's fat injured and happy for '22 and '23? I'm wondering if this is sort of a "fool me once; fool me twice" thing, and honestly dude I'll pass. I think a younger FA at similar cost or even better a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year to pair with Nicols is a better direction than trusting Hicks.

But we'll see how he does that year, and maybe my perspective will change. Like wab pointed out maybe it was Pagano wanting him to be Ted Washington, and now they want him to be 2018 Hicks again.... fingers crossed.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 am
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am This is great news IMO. I never understood those that wanted us to cut Hicks, the dude is one of our most important players. Assuming Goldman plays, our DL is set to be the best in the NFL IMO. Nichols/Goldman/Hicks is an absolute MONSTER. With Khalil friggin Mack on the edge? I mean, cmon that's gonna be impossible to run on when they are all on the field together. Hicks has suffered health issues, his availability to play is a big deal for us, and coming in fit is a big first step towards achieving that. I would love to extend him a few years and get a bit of cap relief in doing so.
It is kind of a tale of two players. He HAS been the important guy you mentioned - but he's only successfully filled that important role for a tiny part of the past 2 years. Is that in dispute?

I've been willing to let him go this and last offseasons - for what I considered to be good reasons:
- showing up way to heavy to be effective, and getting injured because of that (multiple times... in '19 he hurt his arm falling trying to protect the leg that he hurt because he was too big, and then again last year he had an injury that was out of size and stupidity - ridiculously chasing Cousins as if he could catch him, and I remember shouting at the TV "what are you doing?" at the time)
- as many if not more detrimental plays/penalties at key times to hurt the team than even the hated Anthony Miller
- My core thinking is we cannot confuse 2018 Hicks with 2019 and 2020 Hicks, and there was evidence he wasn't coming back. When I squint I kind of see a Fridge Perry type career, where he was super good for a couple of years but then ate himself into worthlessness.

I think the assumption behind his value is that we CAN see 2018 Hicks again. If that is the case, that's great. AND seeing him in this shape is encouraging (but not a guarantee). But even if he shows up this year and is 2018 Hicks... what if he indeed does the exact same thing again - get's fat injured and happy for '22 and '23? I'm wondering if this is sort of a "fool me once; fool me twice" thing, and honestly dude I'll pass. I think a younger FA at similar cost or even better a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year to pair with Nicols is a better direction than trusting Hicks.

But we'll see how he does that year, and maybe my perspective will change. Like wab pointed out maybe it was Pagano wanting him to be Ted Washington, and now they want him to be 2018 Hicks again.... fingers crossed.
Perfectly said IE, I agree with everything here.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:55 am

Perfectly said IE, I agree with everything here.
Yeah @IE nailed that one.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Simple to address--put a weight clause in his contract.
karhu
Head Coach

All I've got to say is that two years ago, my older son pointed excitedly at the tv when the camera panned to Hicks and yelled "Dad! That guy looks just like you!"

Now he's eight, and I'm 40 pounds heavier after the pandemic, and fucking Hicks looks like that, and I'm just going to eat a ton of Doritos until I collapse in a fucking coma.

Or maybe not.

But possibly.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
IE
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 am All I've got to say is that two years ago, my older son pointed excitedly at the tv when the camera panned to Hicks and yelled "Dad! That guy looks just like you!"

Now he's eight, and I'm 40 pounds heavier after the pandemic, and fucking Hicks looks like that, and I'm just going to eat a ton of Doritos until I collapse in a fucking coma.

Or maybe not.

But possibly.
I gained a ton of weight too. But hey I'm just happy I can still shank a golf ball into the woods.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Contract years are great motivators. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next year.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am
karhu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 am All I've got to say is that two years ago, my older son pointed excitedly at the tv when the camera panned to Hicks and yelled "Dad! That guy looks just like you!"

Or maybe not.

But possibly.
I gained a ton of weight too. But hey I'm just happy I can still shank a golf ball into the woods.
Same. Too many smoked meats and bourbons on random days of the week and not enough of my previous physical activities due to places being closed.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am Contract years are great motivators. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next year.
That may be just fine.

The important thing is to get compensation (like a comp R3 for Hicks, hopefully) as often as possible when good players go - unlike with Massie, Leno, and Fuller. All starters, all on big contracts, still on moderate ones, got and getting absolutely zero in return for them. That's a double loss.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
IE wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am

Same. Too many smoked meats and bourbons on random days of the week and not enough of my previous physical activities due to places being closed.
Sorry in advance for the brag, but I found Covid helpful. I used my new found time at home to learn how to cook and started up jogging and long beach walks with the wife. I also quit drinking other than occasional social (although I ramped up my weed intake in exchange lol). Net result, down fifty pounds and feeling amazing (maybe I feel amazing because I'm stoned all the time).

Back to Akiem...there's a discussion about the future of the player and there's a discussion about the 2021 season - two different things. I take issue with anyone who wanted to cut Hicks, we have a chance to field a special defense if he plays well. We have very little chance of fielding a special defense if he's not on the field. I don't think that's debatable, we've seen two years running what happens when he goes out of the lineup. I understand he's been injured, but most of his missed time was in 2019 with an elbow injury - that's not a chronic type problem. He started 15 games last year guys - 15! I think you're over exaggerating his injuries.

As for his future? Yea, I'd sign him to an extension - but I'd only do so if it drops his cap number and his future cap hits are such that it's mitigated against his inevitable decline as a player. I would certainly not backup a truck full of money for him, nor will anyone else. I think he has more value here in Chicago as a pillar/vocal leader of this defense than he would anywhere else.
wulfy
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am Contract years are great motivators. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next year.
Hicks will be 32 in November - he's seen his last big dollar, multi-year deal. Chances are he'll get some one-year, maybe two at the most, offers next off-season. Dollars might be "ok" but the guarantees will be very low.

The Mario Edwards re-signing was/is a hedge on Hicks. Edwards, surprisingly, is only 27 .... seems like he's been in the league for years.