Akiem Hicks looks in shape

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am Contract years are great motivators. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next year.
Hicks will be 32 in November - he's seen his last big dollar, multi-year deal. Chances are he'll get some one-year, maybe two at the most, offers next off-season. Dollars might be "ok" but the guarantees will be very low.

The Mario Edwards re-signing was/is a hedge on Hicks. Edwards, surprisingly, is only 27 .... seems like he's been in the league for years.
Yea, totally agree. And I'd like him to stay with the Bears if that's the case. We can start winding down his minutes to keep him fresh, healthy, and effective as he continues to age/decline.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 am
wab wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
Same. Too many smoked meats and bourbons on random days of the week and not enough of my previous physical activities due to places being closed.
Sorry in advance for the brag, but I found Covid helpful. I used my new found time at home to learn how to cook and started up jogging and long beach walks with the wife. I also quit drinking other than occasional social (although I ramped up my weed intake in exchange lol). Net result, down fifty pounds and feeling amazing (maybe I feel amazing because I'm stoned all the time).
Not to veer too far off topic, but congratulations on the weight loss.

The mistake I made was that my physical activities were pretty specific in nature. I would do some light boxing twice a week and hit the gym twice a week, then I would travel to do specific types of training courses over the span of a weekend once a month. When all of that closed I kind of left myself holding the bag with nothing but a Peloton to fall back on. Then I broke my foot and yada yada yada several excuses and 30lbs later here I am.
docc
Head Coach

I lost 7 lbs during Covid..
Got my third circumcision..dam thing keeps growing back..
Xee
Site Admin

Gained weight here as well since my only exercise of walking to my car in the morning, and then walking from the parking garage to the office went away. I really should start to exercise . . .
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am Contract years are great motivators. But he'll probably be playing elsewhere next year.
That may be just fine.

The important thing is to get compensation (like a comp R3 for Hicks, hopefully) as often as possible when good players go - unlike with Massie, Leno, and Fuller. All starters, all on big contracts, still on moderate ones, got and getting absolutely zero in return for them. That's a double loss.
Excellent point

They need to have a plan though (ditto with Arob) - you can't let these guys go via FA then sign some 8 million dollar a year types just to mess with your compensatory picks
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 pm I lost 7 lbs during Covid..
Got my third circumcision..dam thing keeps growing back..

I know a way you can drop another 1-2 lbs and fix your 2nd problem...

:evilgrin:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.