An Interesting Read

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

For those interested in Bears' history:

https://newarena.com/nfl/the-25-greates ... 021_inview
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Opens up a lot of discussions. I can't believe they left Harlon Hill off the list. One of my favorites, underrated as hell, Doug Buffone, possibly an argument for him to be on a list like that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I lost all interest with Briggs at 22.

If you're really using all 100 years of Bear existence, he's doubtful to land in the top 220.
Not even a consideration for top 22 of the last 20 years.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I was not a big Briggs fan either. Good player, but top 25?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wilbur Marshall absolutely deserves to be on that list. Certainly more than Lance Briggs. Nobody would have ever given up two first round draft picks for Briggs.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 pm Wilbur Marshall absolutely deserves to be on that list. Certainly more than Lance Briggs. Nobody would have ever given up two first round draft picks for Briggs.
This.

And I liked Briggs more than most. But he wasn't even the second-best player on his side of the ball in any of the years he played.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Wounded Bear
MVP

Looks like a list put together by a 23 year old.

Charles Tillman below Briggs? And the Wilbur Marshall omission is sacrilegious.

Let’s just be happy the Fridge wasn’t on the list.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 pm Wilbur Marshall absolutely deserves to be on that list. Certainly more than Lance Briggs. Nobody would have ever given up two first round draft picks for Briggs.
Yep.

Briggs was the beta wolf on Urlacher's kill.

Wilbur Marshall was more than capable of getting his own.

It is my understanding that Ferguson lived after this hit. If that happened today. Who knows. 15 yard penalty. Ejection. Social media movement to #SaveFerguson. Goodell gets up there and says how the league has to do better to protect QBs. Flags at half staff. Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Lol. When I think back on Lovie's defense, one of the defining characteristics was the Bears lining up in the mug look, dropping back into zone, and a quick slant being completed right in front of Brigg's face. He was extremely average in coverage and it sounds like we all agree that a million tackles in run support dont elevate him to top 25 Bears of all time.
karhu
Head Coach

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatever about Marshall. He was the best LB on the best Bears team any of us has ever seen, and it continues to blow my mind that the third-best LB on those teams got a HoF nod and a series of coaching jobs.

Briggs covered a bit of territory when Urlacher dropped deep. Except against receivers. For much of his career, he had a terrifically underrated DE in front of him (for LB-elevating purposes, at least) in Alex Brown, who himself commanded more territory on most plays than Briggs. He's glib, I guess. If 23-year-olds see something I don't, well, I was 17 through most of the '85 season. And SIngletary still didn't fool me.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

hell yeah shout out to alex brown, while not a top 25 bear, maybe in my top 25 favorite players that i've seen play. loved that dude.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wilbur Marshall definitely deserves consideration before Briggs. Harlon Hill was before my time but from all I've read, should be on a list such as this. I was a big fan of safety Mike Brown, he was heart and soul of the defense during his career. His season ending injury in 2006 really hurt the defense.
docc
Head Coach

..Good god..I remember that hit.. I really didn't know if Ferguson was alive laying there..and several others that got Marshalled..

Miss those days except our new QB would Never survive that hit..and we are back to Bears QB infamy...

Also notice the Fridge chasing poor Joe into Marshall land..
Umbali
MVP

Who is that Walter Payton guy?

I agree with all the Briggs and Marshall comments. I too could never figure out why noone mentions Marshall and I remember being pissed when we traded him to Washington. I am happy Forte made the list cus I really liked him. Not sure if this is valid or not but I think Hester should have been a tad higher. I get it...he made his mark as special teams but damn for years I remember standing up and talking to the TV everytime he was back there for a return.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 am Who is that Walter Payton guy?

I agree with all the Briggs and Marshall comments. I too could never figure out why noone mentions Marshall and I remember being pissed when we traded him to Washington. I am happy Forte made the list cus I really liked him. Not sure if this is valid or not but I think Hester should have been a tad higher. I get it...he made his mark as special teams but damn for years I remember standing up and talking to the TV everytime he was back there for a return.
In the years following Papa Bear's death and the McCaskeys took over, they got rid of the executives who built the super Bowl team. They mishandled Marshall's situation and he signed a free agent contract with Washington, the Bears declining to match the offer but getting two 1st round picks as compensation.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I mean, any time you have the opportunity to trade a Pro Bowl linebacker for Wendell Davis and Trace Armstrong, you've got to take it. 🙄
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:34 am Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.
Love it. Perhaps the movie quote I use the most with my wife. She rolls her eyes at me a lot!!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:39 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:34 am Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.
Love it. Perhaps the movie quote I use the most with my wife. She rolls her eyes at me a lot!!!
Thanks. Still one of the best movies of all time BTW.

The movie we quote in my home constantly is Armageddon.