Bears New Stadium Nonsense Repository

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Eriebear
Journeyman

I'm thinking they will do a Domed Stadium ,w/ a retractable roof . AND plenty of Parking ! A lot more events could be done . Can anyone say Super Bowl ? And I've been to Solider Field , not happy w/ "The Big Wall " getting to and from the current field is a problem .
Xee
Site Admin

I completely forgot about the this "potential" move. Is there anything more concrete about the Bears looking into it or is it still just a rumor?

Personally, as much as I would like it, I don't see it happening.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Eriebear wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm I'm thinking they will do a Domed Stadium ,w/ a retractable roof . AND plenty of Parking ! A lot more events could be done . Can anyone say Super Bowl ? And I've been to Solider Field , not happy w/ "The Big Wall " getting to and from the current field is a problem .
One thing my wife and I really love about the game is taking the ferry from navy pier over to the museum for drop off. I'm sentimental I suppose, but I'd hate to see the Bears move from downtown.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Eriebear wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm If the Bears move to Arlington
Bite your tongue
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

Just found an article from a couple weeks ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mayo ... -his-town/

Looks like the Bears have a lease until 2033 and that, if it was even possible, it would be very expensive to break.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:25 pm
Eriebear wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:33 pm I'm thinking they will do a Domed Stadium ,w/ a retractable roof . AND plenty of Parking ! A lot more events could be done . Can anyone say Super Bowl ? And I've been to Solider Field , not happy w/ "The Big Wall " getting to and from the current field is a problem .
One thing my wife and I really love about the game is taking the ferry from navy pier over to the museum for drop off. I'm sentimental I suppose, but I'd hate to see the Bears move from downtown.
100% agree
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:03 pm Just found an article from a couple weeks ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mayo ... -his-town/

Looks like the Bears have a lease until 2033 and that, if it was even possible, it would be very expensive to break.
Their lease is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. Unless there's some clause for breaking that's in excess of buying out the full lease, I have a hard time believing that would be a serious roadblock.

I'd imagine the McCaskeys finances are a bigger issue. With the McCaskeys having relative little wealth outside of the team, and Illinois in a poor position to finance... Unless Virginia kicks the bucket soon in time for a new owner to step up, who's paying for it?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If moving the Bears is even a remote possibility, the new locale will move Heaven and Earth to make it happen. With the way The Fed and therefore the financial system throws money around, I can't imagine the McCaskey's having a hard time securing financing for a deal.

To me it doesn't matter. Just because I have the money to spend $700 for one ticket to see them play the Packers doesn't mean I'm going to. I'm not stupid. If I can buy a brand new TV every time I take my wife and I to a Bears game, the economics of seeing a game are Fake News.
Hero
Player of the Month

Arlington Texas? That would be wonderful!!!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The NFL doesn't allow teams to break leases so this would be an issue. The scuttlebutt is a Stan Kronke type project, with shops and entertainment along a stadium. Sounds pretty expensive, I don't think the state has the finances nor political stomach to help out. I doubt Arlington Heights could help finance much of the construction unless their tax revenues are higher than I figure. The NFL has a fund to assist teams with some of the cost of new stadium construction but there would still be a significant chunk of change for the McCaskeys to come up with.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:09 pm
dplank wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:25 pm

100% agree
Ditto. Having had season tickets throughout the eighties, I'd hate to see it move. I also love downtown.

The one thing I don't understand is why they insisted on building entirely within the old stadium, particularly when they used such a modernistic design. Seems to me the could have just kept the Colonnades and actually tried to incorporate into the design that would have served to honor Soldier Field as an historical landmark than what they actually did. It also would have allowed for much more flexibility in increasing the stadium capacity than what they have now. It's not the site, they just boneheaded the remodel.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Hero wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 am Arlington Texas? That would be wonderful!!!
No. The national cemetery.

It’s blasphemous. Plus, just too many headstones.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, I'm on the record as saying football is a game that was intended to be played outside..........but maybe we should think about having two leagues, one for the domers and one for the outsiders.
Hero
Player of the Month

All quarterbacks and wide receivers I bet.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:10 am If moving the Bears is even a remote possibility, the new locale will move Heaven and Earth to make it happen. With the way The Fed and therefore the financial system throws money around, I can't imagine the McCaskey's having a hard time securing financing for a deal.

To me it doesn't matter. Just because I have the money to spend $700 for one ticket to see them play the Packers doesn't mean I'm going to. I'm not stupid. If I can buy a brand new TV every time I take my wife and I to a Bears game, the economics of seeing a game are Fake News.
I think you're right that Arlington Heights would bend over backwards and forwards to get the Bears. However, the City of Chicago has WAY more taxpayers--thus resources--than a suburb, even one as significant as Arlington Heights.
Only the federal gov't has access to the Fed and their money printing. So I think that idea is off the mark.

Personally, I haven't gone to a game in a long time, but moving the venue to the NW suburbs would suck for us Indiana folks. It's very convenient to take the South Shore and just walk 15 minutes to Soldier.

It totally sucks for me that they moved TC from ONU to Halas Hall. A 70 minute drive with little traffic was very tolerable and I went almost every year for a day or two. I don't see myself fighting the traffic to go any more. But for Bear fans up north, the traffic nightmare to go way south for 20 years had to be disappointing--even if it was way better than Platteville. I guess it's the northerners' turn. Forever.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:31 pm
Hero wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 am Arlington Texas? That would be wonderful!!!

You can't just move the headstones, didn't you see Poltergeist?
wulfy
MVP

Well, as a Bears STH and PSL owner, I'd very curious how they would intend to finance the team's part of the stadium, which was funded in large part last time by the sale of PSLs. To go back to that well and ask fans to pay up again would be problematic. I guess there is always the school of thought that says if that guy doesn't pay, then others will line up behind them with wallets out. Illinois' finances are a hot mess - but I think there could be significant private money that could be interested in investing. Keep your eye on Ken Griffin and Citadel.

Finances aside, the location of the Arlington Stadium would be a good one - there is a ton of land there between the racetrack and the stables and the train stops right there on the METRA from the City. Parking is plentiful and could easily support tailgating ... bu the money isn't made on tailgating, it's made on getting people to spend their money. You could build out "an experience" there with dining, hotels, etc.

For me personally, it would be 25 miles from my house vs 24 miles to Soldier Field, so not much difference there.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:51 am Well, as a Bears STH and PSL owner, I'd very curious how they would intend to finance the team's part of the stadium, which was funded in large part last time by the sale of PSLs. To go back to that well and ask fans to pay up again would be problematic. I guess there is always the school of thought that says if that guy doesn't pay, then others will line up behind them with wallets out.
Why not?

The whole concept of PSLs is insane to begin with - "You need to pay us for the privilege of being able to pay us for something."
Making someone pay multiple times for nothing except the right to buy something doesn't bump the Crazyometer much.

Wikipedia says "Most seat licenses are valid for as long as the team plays in the current venue", so it looks like owners thought ahead on this cash grab.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:10 am If moving the Bears is even a remote possibility, the new locale will move Heaven and Earth to make it happen. With the way The Fed and therefore the financial system throws money around, I can't imagine the McCaskey's having a hard time securing financing for a deal.

I think you're right that Arlington Heights would bend over backwards and forwards to get the Bears. However, the City of Chicago has WAY more taxpayers--thus resources--than a suburb, even one as significant as Arlington Heights.
Only the federal gov't has access to the Fed and their money printing. So I think that idea is off the mark.

Personally, I haven't gone to a game in a long time, but moving the venue to the NW suburbs would suck for us Indiana folks. It's very convenient to take the South Shore and just walk 15 minutes to Soldier.

It totally sucks for me that they moved TC from ONU to Halas Hall. A 70 minute drive with little traffic was very tolerable and I went almost every year for a day or two. I don't see myself fighting the traffic to go any more. But for Bear fans up north, the traffic nightmare to go way south for 20 years had to be disappointing--even if it was way better than Platteville. I guess it's the northerners' turn. Forever.
I work in finance. The Fed enables the financial systems through interest rates and various lending facilities. The banks and investment firms take advantage of that which enables all kinds of deals to happen. If the fed funds rate was 5% instead of the near 0% it is now, much less would be possible. I refuse to get political here and break the rules so I will say no more about that.

In terms of HOW something could get done.

Arlington Heights is in both Cook and Lake County. There would be a political fight like hell with Cook County I'd imagine. Rosemont isn't that far from there and they'd fight somehow. However in theory, an investment group (Any sort of consortium could do this and banks would line up. Arlington Heights or the Bears would find investors. I don't know if PE would want it because this is a multi-year project. They normally flip things between 3 to 7 years depending.) could buy up all that land and make a deal with Arlington Heights. I don't know who currently owns that land. If AH does, then they're pretty close to getting something done and they'd make a ton of money.

They would then make Bears Town or something like that. Recouping the money just via the stadium would be difficult. You can only charge so much for a hot dog or a ticket. Bears Town with bars, restaurants, stores, pay to park parking garages, would make this very profitable. Especially when you consider the centralized location, ease of access to transportation both public and private, and the Bears being the only football team in the area.

Other than the politics, the other problem is what do you do with the other 7 months of the year? Would people care about Bears Town in July? Something would have to be thought of there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If the stores and restaurants in "Bears Town" were top notch, kitchy, they would attract year round. I would assume some type of professional soccer team would be included. If it is done right you could even get a minor league baseball team in there.

No matter where the Bears play I would try to attend. I don't care if they are in Chicago or the burbs, it doesn't matter, it's the Bears.

I have done down town Chicago, after Bears games, in the summer, spring and fall, you can always do that.
wulfy
MVP

Churchill Downs Inc. owns all 326 acres.

I'm sure Rosemont would be interested in the Bears also, but they don't have the real estate that Arlington has.

I'd look to what the Cowboys did in Frisco with The Star as the blueprint of what you would do in AH. Has a massive Omni Hotel, a dining/night life destination, etc. Hosts concerts year round, etc.

The Star was 91 acres when acquired - this property is 3.5x bigger than that. The possibilities are practically off the chart.

While the lease goes to 2033 ... it will probably take at least 3 years to physically build it.

And I get it for the PSL ... it will just leave a very bad taste in many long-time fan's mouth, but welcome to the Real Life World.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:39 pm If the stores and restaurants in "Bears Town" were top notch, kitchy, they would attract year round. I would assume some type of professional soccer team would be included. If it is done right you could even get a minor league baseball team in there.

No matter where the Bears play I would try to attend. I don't care if they are in Chicago or the burbs, it doesn't matter, it's the Bears.

I have done down town Chicago, after Bears games, in the summer, spring and fall, you can always do that.
This is basically what the Cowboys have done with The Star in Frisco. Granted it’s their practice facility and not the game location... but there are year round activities there. Concerts, restaurants, shopping, etc.
IE
Hall of Famer

It would definitely have larger capacity and more opportunity for premium seating and such - so there is still ample opportunity to generate more $ via new PSLs and new ways to watch. I'd imagine they'd give the existing PSLs first option to buy in with some sort of discount perhaps - but still more, and rationalized as you're getting much more in the new environment.

All this is pricing Joe Blow out of games, though. It won't be long before you can't get into any game (or most) for under several hundred a person even in nosebleed & club-type tickets going for a grand.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think a move to Arlington Heights is genius and the Bears should absolutely do it.

It would modernize the team and the experience. Make them a crap ton of money and the suburbs would love the tax revenue.

The City of Chicago has a massive set of problems that make it unappealing for people. I'll leave it at that.

But if you put the Bears in AH. A stone's throw away from 290 / 355, public transportation and that whole Woodfield Mall area, you'd have something very special.

Like @Otis Day said, making the area applicable for all 12 months is doable. I love the idea of a minor league baseball team. It would be Wrigleyville West.

Since Churchill Downs owns it, developing all of that on their own might prove to be too much. They're publicly traded with a market cap of a bit less than $8 billion. This development would run into the multiple billions. The stadium alone would approach $2 billion. IIRC the Cowboys one was a bit over $1 billion. Factor in current costs and Illinois (I'm assuming.) being orders of magnitude more expensive than Texas. If an investment group was put together it would be pretty easy.

But when it's done it would look amazing and people would love it. Even those who think ticket prices are insane could watch the game in Bears Town at one of the bars or restaurants. It would create this whole culture.

And if the stadium is a retractable roof you could really do a lot there. Super Bowl. NCAA Final Four. All that kind of thing.

If the State of Illinois had a brain they'd actually demand that this get done.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:24 pm
The City of Chicago has a massive set of problems that make it unappealing for people. I'll leave it at that.
I love Chicago, it’s my favorite city in the world and I’ve been around. Food is amazing. People are amazing. Architecture is amazing. Bars are amazing. Sports are amazing.

But mainly, it’s the people. Midwest friendly in a giant city, very unique in that way. The only one similar to me is Melbourne (sorry Aussie I know you’re from
Oz!)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Mikefive wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 am I think you're right that Arlington Heights would bend over backwards and forwards to get the Bears. However, the City of Chicago has WAY more taxpayers--thus resources--than a suburb, even one as significant as Arlington Heights.

I work in finance. The Fed enables the financial systems through interest rates and various lending facilities. The banks and investment firms take advantage of that which enables all kinds of deals to happen. If the fed funds rate was 5% instead of the near 0% it is now, much less would be possible. I refuse to get political here and break the rules so I will say no more about that.

In terms of HOW something could get done.

Arlington Heights is in both Cook and Lake County. There would be a political fight like hell with Cook County I'd imagine. Rosemont isn't that far from there and they'd fight somehow. However in theory, an investment group (Any sort of consortium could do this and banks would line up. Arlington Heights or the Bears would find investors. I don't know if PE would want it because this is a multi-year project. They normally flip things between 3 to 7 years depending.) could buy up all that land and make a deal with Arlington Heights. I don't know who currently owns that land. If AH does, then they're pretty close to getting something done and they'd make a ton of money.

They would then make Bears Town or something like that. Recouping the money just via the stadium would be difficult. You can only charge so much for a hot dog or a ticket. Bears Town with bars, restaurants, stores, pay to park parking garages, would make this very profitable. Especially when you consider the centralized location, ease of access to transportation both public and private, and the Bears being the only football team in the area.

Other than the politics, the other problem is what do you do with the other 7 months of the year? Would people care about Bears Town in July? Something would have to be thought of there.
Fair enough. I clearly misunderstood the direction you were going. You're 100% right about the Fed funds rate being so low that it enables stuff to happen. Thanks for supplying more detail for me.

I largely agree with you that if they made a Bears Town around the stadium, it would be a major hit. Not that I would be able to afford to go. lol
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Back when I was living in Seattle, Safeco was constructed. It cost approximately $517 million to build. The team kicked apprximately $145 million. The rest was publicly financed publicly through the issuing of bonds, which have been retired. There is a tax on each ticket sold to any event at the stadium and a tax on parking at the garage which was used until the bonds were paid off and is now used for maintenance. There was a tax instituted on hotel/motel rooms and rental cars also to retire the bonds. The stadium is publicly owned and the Mariners pay annually on a lease. With the amount of land at AH, much could be sold/leased to businesses for stores, restaurants, bars etc. which can operate year-round.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Most stadium complexes don't wind up being the Boon economically they pitch themselves as

(Little outdated but the principle keeps showing)

I will be interested in certain complexes like the new Atlanta Braves stadium where they very much incorporated the surrounding area more so than your usual complex

So maybe they cracked the code?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:41 pm Back when I was living in Seattle, Safeco was constructed. It cost approximately $517 million to build. The team kicked apprximately $145 million. The rest was publicly financed publicly through the issuing of bonds, which have been retired. There is a tax on each ticket sold to any event at the stadium and a tax on parking at the garage which was used until the bonds were paid off and is now used for maintenance. There was a tax instituted on hotel/motel rooms and rental cars also to retire the bonds. The stadium is publicly owned and the Mariners pay annually on a lease. With the amount of land at AH, much could be sold/leased to businesses for stores, restaurants, bars etc. which can operate year-round.
I happened to be in town the day they imploded the old Kingdome, that was pretty wild.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:41 pm Back when I was living in Seattle, Safeco was constructed. It cost approximately $517 million to build. The team kicked apprximately $145 million. The rest was publicly financed publicly through the issuing of bonds, which have been retired. There is a tax on each ticket sold to any event at the stadium and a tax on parking at the garage which was used until the bonds were paid off and is now used for maintenance. There was a tax instituted on hotel/motel rooms and rental cars also to retire the bonds. The stadium is publicly owned and the Mariners pay annually on a lease. With the amount of land at AH, much could be sold/leased to businesses for stores, restaurants, bars etc. which can operate year-round.
I happened to be in town the day they imploded the old Kingdome, that was pretty wild.
The place I was working was on the 38th floor of a building overlooking the Dome. We had a great watching party. I'll never see the like again.