Bears talked to Greg Olsen during 2020 offseason

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:43 pm So there’s been pages of argument when there was no actual disagreement? Lol. Because internet.

People lined up on sides then began arguing extremities.
Didn't answer my question :wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

So you’re going to press it? Foolish. I know more about this than you do bud. I was offering an escape hatch because I’m tired of trying to explain it when the audience doesn’t appear to be honest/earnest in listening to any point but their own. But, here’s your spanking since you insisted on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... on-manning

Enjoy the read, and mic drop. Kubiak has a system that many QBs have succeeded in. He tweaked a bit at first for Peyton, with bad results, and he worked him back to being comfortable in his system after benching him for Osweiller who could better run….ahem….his system. Sounds like what Nagy did with Mitch, tweaked his system at first to try and make him comfortable as he worked towards getting him into his system.

A wise man would accept the middle ground that’s been offered.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 pm So you’re going to press it? Foolish. I know more about this than you do bud. I was offering an escape hatch because I’m tired of trying to explain it when the audience doesn’t appear to be honest/earnest in listening to any point but their own. But, here’s your spanking since you insisted on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... on-manning

Enjoy the read, and mic drop. Kubiak has a system that many QBs have succeeded in. He tweaked a bit at first for Peyton, with bad results, and he worked him back to being comfortable in his system after benching him for Osweiller who could better run….ahem….his system. Sounds like what Nagy did with Mitch, tweaked his system at first to try and make him comfortable as he worked towards getting him into his system.

A wise man would accept the middle ground that’s been offered.
First, physically, Kubs’ offenses have always focused around the run game, with play-action and bootlegs that complement the runs.
This is precisely what I said, and they were not doing play-action bootlegs to complement said runs because Manning was a statue. It's almost as if... wait for it... he adjusted his offense to fit what Manning could actually do.
While there is still more audibling than most Kubiak offenses, Peyton is now under center and relying more on the run game, quick passing game concepts and his defense to win.
So, again, he adjusted his offense to fit Manning's strengths (audibling based on what the defense is showing is arguably his greatest trait as a QB). You also realize that was the worst season Manning had in his entire career, right? 9 TDs to 17 INTs, woof! (injuries, old age yatta yatta)

Here's your mic back and save the spankings for your "assless chaps night", plank :lol:

dplank
Hall of Famer

He adjusted his offense the same way, and in the same temporary manner as Nagy did for Mitch. Both then worked them back towards their system as the goal. You are citing Kubiak as an example that Nagy should have followed, and he did. Nice self own.

Check the ego homie, this is a bad look. Do you even understand the second thing you quoted blows your argument?? It’s saying that he got Peyton to play HIS OFFENSE. Hello? Comprende Englais???
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:48 pm He adjusted his offense the same way, and in the same temporary manner as Nagy did for Mitch. Both then worked them back towards their system as the goal. You are citing Kubiak as an example that Nagy should have followed, and he did. Nice self own.

Check the ego homie, this is a bad look. Do you even understand the second thing you quoted blows your argument?? It’s saying that he got Peyton to play HIS OFFENSE. Hello? Comprende Englais???
Dude, are you high?

The second thing I quoted laid out plain as day that Kubiak adjusted his offense and allowed for Manning to call audibles "more than most Kubiak offenses", which was his strength. Which part of that are you not comprehending?

AGAIN: "First, physically, Kubs’ offenses have always focused around the run game, with play-action and bootlegs that complement the runs."

There was no play-action and bootleg to complement the runs because Manning couldn't do it. Kubik adjusted and didn't call it, I can't believe I have to break this down to this level for you.

Yes, they ran the football and they threw short passes. That's not your typical Kubiak offense!
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:48 pm He adjusted his offense the same way, and in the same temporary manner as Nagy did for Mitch. Both then worked them back towards their system as the goal. You are citing Kubiak as an example that Nagy should have followed, and he did. Nice self own.
You're wrong there, I am not citing anything as an example that Nagy should have followed.

This has nothing to do with Nagy, Trubisky, or the Chicago Bears in general. I feel like I have to state this now when discussing various topics with you.

This is a simple football philosophy on either side of the ball: you always implement what your players do best. Look no further than the greatest head coach in NFL History, Bill Belichick.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Chicken : Egg

This is also a simple football philosophy: you always acquire players that matches your style. I.e if you run a 3-4 defense, you don’t draft traditional 4-3 defensive ends. You draft different types of players.

You’re statement is true, so is mine. Ask yourself how that can be? Then rethink the whole sequence of events with your boy (which, be honest, is why you’ve latched on to this).
G08
Hall of Famer

You have to let this obsession with Trubisky go. My posts on the matter have nothing to do with Nagy, Trubisky or the Chicago Bears in general.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wow, this thread blew up a quicker than I expected.
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:42 pm Yogi man, you gotta learn to read more carefully. You do this a lot. He clearly said that Olsen had shown that he was a good player
I’m still waiting for one of you others to show me how Andy Reid made major adjustments to his system to fit Patrick Mahomes or highlight some Texas Tech concepts in KCs offense. Or show me how Phil Jackson dumped his triangle offense to suit Jordan, Rodman, Kobe, or Shaq. What will happen? Nothing, because there’s no refuting this point, and yet it’ll come up again and again as if this wasn’t already thoroughly debunked. Frustrating lack of accountability.

This ongoing need to blame everyone but Mitch for his failure here is simply bizarre. The problem here is that Mitch can’t play, Jesus h get over it people
I absolutely read what IE said. That's why I posted the stats that I did. Olsen was far more than a simply good player at that time. He was the BEST receiver we had and the closest connection that Cutler had. He wasn't quite a great player yet, but he was close and developing. He was certainly more than simply "good."

I posted that comment to serve as a warning against simply dumping players who "doesn't fit your system." As G points out, you guys are the ones who brought up Trubisky. You should know better DP than to simply read into other peoples' statements. You know who does that, right? I was using Olsen as a general warning. You want another one? How about Steve Young? Yes, you brought up how Young was fitted into the Niners' system. But guess what? Tampa Bay traded him. I guess he didn't "fit into their system." Lol

I also take exception to your claim that nobody has explained how Reid has made changes to his system for Mahomes' benefit. I've already posted Mahomes' quote about how they took plays from what he liked when he played different offenses with the scout team and incorporated them into his own offense.

But it also goes beyond that. Remember those no look passes by Mahomes? How about this:
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes throws a no-look pass, it looks like improvisation. But it’s something he’s practiced, and something that both his NFL head coach and his college head coach have encouraged him to try.

Mahomes said that he started throwing no-look passes at Texas Tech, when he was coached by Kliff Kingsbury, now head coach of the Cardinals. He then kept working on them as a rookie, as Andy Reid encouraged him to throw no-look passes to keep the Chiefs’ defense off-balance when Mahomes was the scout team quarterback.

“It’s stuff that I’ve worked on – that’s the biggest thing. I did no-look stuff when I was in college with Coach Kingsbury, and he would encourage us to do stuff like that. Then, when I got to the NFL with Coach Reid, I started doing it on scout team and he let me do it,” Mahomes said. “He let me go out there, do some of that stuff and just tinker with things. He always says that training camp is the time to throw interceptions and the time to try stuff that you might not try in a game, so he lets us go out there and be who we are and it’s allowed me to have confidence to do those things in games.”

Mahomes is a uniquely talented quarterback, but that doesn’t mean his success was preordained. Some coaches would have tried to force Mahomes into playing a style of football that doesn’t fit his skill set. Mahomes has been fortunate to work for two coaches, Kingsbury and Reid, who encourage quarterbacks to get creative.
That explains it perfectly right there. Now, do you remember Nagy encouraging Trubisky to throw "no look passes?" I don't. lol Instead he kind of put a reverse leash on Trubisky. I remember much like Reid, Nagy encouraging Trubisky not to worry about interceptions. He wanted him to throw long. But that might be who Mahomes is. It's not who Trubisky is. Why wasn't he encouraging Mitch to run more? That's more who he is. It's also how he gets his head out of his ass and into the game. It causes his to react more than think. That's why he should have encouraged that.

But I think IE made the most sense in this tirade after this--if you're going to make a move like this, you better NOT fail. Martz did with Olsen. In a very big way. So did Tampa Bay. I worry we might have failed releasing Kyle. Also concerned about Floyd, Kwit, and Amos. I was concerned with Howard, but that really worked out for us. Would have been concerned with Trubs' release if we only had Dalton and Foles. But instead we also got Fields. Now, I'm happy. Much happier than I was with Trubisky. But I still don't believe that Nagy gave him a fair shake. For all Nagy's talk of "be you," he tried to turn Trubisky into somebody he's not.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 pm You have to let this obsession with Trubisky go. My posts on the matter have nothing to do with Nagy, Trubisky or the Chicago Bears in general.
Tupperware provides many solutions to your short, medium, and long term storage needs.

If you've ever captured a member of another tribe and have leftovers after cooking and eating him to appease your god, try storing them in our new Modular Mates product line. These prism (that would be a 3 dimensional rectangle) shaped storage solutions fit together nicely and won't even take up that much space in your hut.

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:43 pm So there’s been pages of argument when there was no actual disagreement? Lol. Because internet.

People lined up on sides then began arguing extremities.
It's just running to the middle after the fact... spin the topic a bit to appear reasonable when an unreasonable position or point is called out.

There's no comparison between guys like Payton Manning and many far lesser players. Manning was the boss. Of COURSE it makes sense to tailor your offense to the strengths of a really exceptional talent that can be built around - or especially a GOAT.

What is extreme, though, is to extrapolate and use that in defense of a bust QB who demonstrated he does not possess several critical traits for success... which is the original point (across multiple threads) that then gets lost in the fray when disagreements get abstract and run to the middle. These concepts are not transitive.

Go back to the original points made (again - across several threads, where these same discussions keep popping up) and that's where the disagreement is. It is so weird that there is such a desire to justify something (that nobody should really care about) that a thread about Olsen becomes a potential thing to throw against the wall in some other argument & see if it sticks/helps. "Let's make him the poster boy for why I'm right about this other thing." Everything is about one guy - I swear.

I hope it stops. The pretense around who these posts are about... it's absurd, when the argument is just carried over from other posts where that's exactly who it was about. It's ruining every thread. :sick:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 pm Chicken : Egg

This is also a simple football philosophy: you always acquire players that matches your style. I.e if you run a 3-4 defense, you don’t draft traditional 4-3 defensive ends. You draft different types of players.

You’re statement is true, so is mine. Ask yourself how that can be? Then rethink the whole sequence of events with your boy (which, be honest, is why you’ve latched on to this).
You didn’t answer my question ;)

Moving on, been trying to get you to admit Mitch sucks for years - you’re not gonna do it. You should man, you’d feel a lot better.

Hey Yogi, to your let Mitch “Be You” comment, I’m reminded of an older Cosby bit that goes something like “A friend was trying to get me to try cocaine and so I asked him why and what it does for you. He answered, it takes your personality and makes it all bigger and more! And so I asked, well what if you’re an asshole?” Hahaha. Be You for Mitch means “be terrible at football”, I’m fine with Nagy trying to change him from that. :-P

But yea IE is right, enough already I’m dropping it here. I always want to hope that folks will ultimately do right and come clean, but I need to reduce expectations.
Last edited by dplank on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

so is this going to be the offseason? where all the threads on this site turn into the same bullshit thread?
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:42 am so is this going to be the offseason? where all the threads on this site turn into the same bullshit thread?
I hope not, I just need to learn not to take the bait.
wab
Mod

Sigh