Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:16 pm Thank god we are playing him, he’s growing by leaps and bounds right in front of our eyes!

https://apple.news/A7SULKpMmRW-PNkXnE3nG4Q
Damn straight. Sweet. "Big Boy Quarterbacking".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am PFF grades are obviously infallible and I won't hear anything else on the matter
We're gonna be seeing a lot of that over the next few years.
docc
Head Coach

Win ..Lose really don't matter this year..actually it gets us a better draft pick (2nd)..
HOWEVER

WE GOT US A QB !
and Boron and Herbert looked good.
Monty strong..some of the D and O looked OK,,so a buildable team..

Build that O line for Fields !!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 am How many of us have been waiting years for the team being down late in the game and wanting the QB to lead a winning drive? Fields did his job. The receivers, RBs, and OL did their job as the Bears took the lead. Too bad the refs f*cked the Bears 2 ways from Sunday.
Let's pump the brakes just a little. This was just one game, so let's hope it's the first of many big boy performances late in games by Fields. Trubisky had five 4th quarter comeback wins in the last 3 years plus other games which were lost despite him putting his team in position to win including the infamous double-doink and the game where Nagy settled for a 40+ yard FG attempt instead of trying to advance the ball to make the kick easier. It's too early to get too excited, although I can understand the optimism.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

You pump the brakes if you want.

Pedal to the metal here.
otis
Pro Bowler

It didn't feel like luck when fields made those throws, unlike when trubisky did make the few he did.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Agreed - this is but one game….that said…

Mitchs comeback wins weren’t against top defenses - he did it at least twice against Detroit, I think a bad game he played against a terrible Arizona cardinal team in 2018 may count as one etc.

I don’t recall Mitch doing it against one of the leagues best defenses, on the road and on national tv. Mitch certainly wasn’t known for making the precision downfield throws Justin was hitting in the second half.

Nothing is guaranteed - but Monday Night did offer a glimpse of Fields’ ceiling, which is significantly higher than Trubisky’s

quote=HisRoyalSweetness post_id=277950 time=1636501865 user_id=1363]
Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 am How many of us have been waiting years for the team being down late in the game and wanting the QB to lead a winning drive? Fields did his job. The receivers, RBs, and OL did their job as the Bears took the lead. Too bad the refs f*cked the Bears 2 ways from Sunday.
Let's pump the brakes just a little. This was just one game, so let's hope it's the first of many big boy performances late in games by Fields. Trubisky had five 4th quarter comeback wins in the last 3 years plus other games which were lost despite him putting his team in position to win including the infamous double-doink and the game where Nagy settled for a 40+ yard FG attempt instead of trying to advance the ball to make the kick easier. It's too early to get too excited, although I can understand the optimism.
[/quote]
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:51 pm
If we can't get excited for Fields, there is no reason to watch the Bears the next two years. He's the only thing this team has going for it.

Pump your brakes all you want. I'm all in on Fields. If he fails this franchise is fucked for at least 5 years, probably longer.

And getting excited is what fans are supposed to do.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I was pretty encouraged by Fields the other night. Some big time throws there.
We did see Mitch do this in the playoffs against Philly (doink), but I feel there's something different with Fields. Some of those passes....
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I don’t think it is only one game.
That great performance against the steelers isn’t the reason I’m excited about Fields. It’s the general trend. The trajectory is all one way.

It won’t be all season, he’ll have some more poor games - but he’s a rookie so that’s expected.

No I’m excited to see his potential and that has been demonstrated perfectly. He has so much potential that as he develops he will be that franchise quarterback. There’s no more certain an outcome in my opinion.
He has a body of steel - unbreakable
He has a mentality of steel - unshakable
He has determination and ambition in abundance
He works harder than anyone else.

How can he fail?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I will stick to being 'cautiously optimistic' rather than 'deliriously excited' about Fields at this early stage simply because I've been burned too many times before by this team.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:45 am I will stick to being 'cautiously optimistic' rather than 'deliriously excited' about Fields at this early stage simply because I've been burned too many times before by this team.

Only way to get true joy is to open your heart and risk the possibility of getting it broke.

Smack that on a nice landscape and make a motivational poster out of it.
spudbear
MVP

Mitch would NEVER have completed the pass that Fields made as he sprinted to his left and threw on the run. Mitch made very few completions moving to his left. Fields is omni-directional, but his backpedaling can be worrisome.

Let's hope the refs will stop looking the other way as he's pummeled. League needs more star QB's and his star is rising.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am Mitch would NEVER have completed the pass that Fields made as he sprinted to his left and threw on the run. Mitch made very few completions moving to his left. Fields is omni-directional, but his backpedaling can be worrisome.

Let's hope the refs will stop looking the other way as he's pummeled. League needs more star QB's and his star is rising.
Re: throwing left. A big claim, from admittedly a source that is not unbiased (he's a Bears fan). But:

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm asking this question out of genuine curiosity - in absolutely no way am I poking or trying to stir the pot or anything like that. Just trying to see where folks are at with this....

For all the folks who believed strongly that you don't play Fields this year, that you risk breaking him mentally and/or physically - do you still feel that way now?

It looks to me like Fields has grown tremendously by the experience he's gained over the last month and a half. He's not just growing as a player, but he's growing as a team leader as well which is just as important. The plays he's making, the hits he's taking and bouncing back, the determination he showed through very hard times - it all adds up to him being our leader for the next decade of Bears football. We have far more clarity on what he is as a player and what types of players we need to surround him with. He clearly wasn't set back mentally/confidence wise from two disastrous games against Cleveland and Tampa Bay - rather he OVERCAME them as a mentally tough player should do.

Is anyone changing their opinions based on what we've seen unfold?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Fields was the top rated QB by PFF in the games last weekend. Not among rookies but all QBs. He'll have bad performances, all QBs do but his trajectory is up. That gives me hope I haven't had in many a year.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:36 am I'm asking this question out of genuine curiosity - in absolutely no way am I poking or trying to stir the pot or anything like that. Just trying to see where folks are at with this....

For all the folks who believed strongly that you don't play Fields this year, that you risk breaking him mentally and/or physically - do you still feel that way now?

It looks to me like Fields has grown tremendously by the experience he's gained over the last month and a half. He's not just growing as a player, but he's growing as a team leader as well which is just as important. The plays he's making, the hits he's taking and bouncing back, the determination he showed through very hard times - it all adds up to him being our leader for the next decade of Bears football. We have far more clarity on what he is as a player and what types of players we need to surround him with. He clearly wasn't set back mentally/confidence wise from two disastrous games against Cleveland and Tampa Bay - rather he OVERCAME them as a mentally tough player should do.

Well, all that is fine, and your case for starting him makes very good sense, but you're missing a very important point.

I think the enormous disparity between the roughing penalties is a real threat to Jason's well-being and future success. At what point in a young quarterback's career do the officials begin to protect him by calling more roughing the passer penalties?

Enjoy it while we've got it because the corrupt NFL officials have shown that THEY WON'T PROTECT HIM - we've clearly seen that and it does not bode well...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am I think the enormous disparity between the roughing penalties is a real threat to Jason's well-being and future success.
This Just in... Fields changes his name to Jason! :D
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

What I saw Monday night was a rookie QB who almost overcame the most lopsided refereed game I've seen in years. That's the kind of thing only a handful of guys on the Earth can manage. Once JF1 has a couple years under his belt, the sky is the limit.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am
dplank wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:36 am I'm asking this question out of genuine curiosity - in absolutely no way am I poking or trying to stir the pot or anything like that. Just trying to see where folks are at with this....

Well, all that is fine, and your case for starting him makes very good sense, but you're missing a very important point.

I think the enormous disparity between the roughing penalties is a real threat to Jason's well-being and future success. At what point in a young quarterback's career do the officials begin to protect him by calling more roughing the passer penalties?

Enjoy it while we've got it because the corrupt NFL officials have shown that THEY WON'T PROTECT HIM - we've clearly seen that and it does not bode well...
I mean that's an unfortunate reality. It will take some time, but he has to play, seemingly to get that respect. Maybe a coach willing to air it in the media as much as possible too. George should just create a fines trust for his GM and coach to dip into and rail against officials (or I guess they'll also submit tapes to the league, maybe that's more effective lol, I truely don't know).
dave99
Assistant Coach

I am of the opinion, based purely on casual observation, that if a QB is going to break mentally he will do so sooner or later. Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, Manning all spent most of their early carrier running for their lives. They got pummeled but survived physically and got stronger mentally.
I believe that Fields is a generational talent that will not only survive but thrive on adversity and experience.
But for the love of God please find a way to put some competent pass blockers in front of him.
Do that and I am not even concerned about receivers. Fields is good enough to make decent receivers good and good receivers look great.
Just give him a little time and the sky is the limit.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

General philosophy: no, I still firmly believe what I said here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15684&p=276733&hili ... ly#p276733

Fields specifically: I see some encouraging signs that would bump my estimates of him personally being in group A and reduce my estimates of him being in group B
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

That's a new objection - "the refs won't protect a rookie". I like the desperate creativity.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:45 am

General philosophy: no, I still firmly believe what I said here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15684&p=276733&hili ... ly#p276733

Fields specifically: I see some encouraging signs that would bump my estimates of him personally being in group A and reduce my estimates of him being in group B
I never believed there was a Group B in your hypothetical, there's no evidence of it. But, not here to argue just curious.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:01 pm That's a new objection - "the refs won't protect a rookie". I like the desperate creativity.
Thanks for the insight - maybe I'll just dry up for a while, then.

:frustrated:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was never terribly worried but any concern I have has been replaced with the belief that he needs the live reps to learn how to protect himself. It's a lost season but next season there is the off chance that wins actually matter so hopefully he'll already know how to avoid big shots off blitzes and in the open field.
xyt in the discord chats
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

JF1 talking about speaking up to the refs during the MNF game....

“He said he (the defender) rushed into me, which I thought was a late hit, so I don’t know whether you run into me after I deliver the ball.” ‘Big Ben just got that call, so I’m not sure why you can’t give me that call,’ I explained. All I needed was for him to call it both ways. That’s exactly what I said to him. That was the only time we spoke.”

I love that he's already jawing at the refs. The dude just oozes leadership.
IE
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm
IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:01 pm That's a new objection - "the refs won't protect a rookie". I like the desperate creativity.
Thanks for the insight - maybe I'll just dry up for a while, then.

:frustrated:
It was just a joke, dude. I share your fear of what the refs won't call. Monday was a clinic in bad refereeing.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:23 pm JF1 talking about speaking up to the refs during the MNF game....

“He said he (the defender) rushed into me, which I thought was a late hit, so I don’t know whether you run into me after I deliver the ball.” ‘Big Ben just got that call, so I’m not sure why you can’t give me that call,’ I explained. All I needed was for him to call it both ways. That’s exactly what I said to him. That was the only time we spoke.”

I love that he's already jawing at the refs. The dude just oozes leadership.
Good for the kid. He's showing he's got more balls than his head coach who doesn't have the courage to defend his players and call out the refs. I don't care what the rules about criticising the officials are, Nagy can find a way to speak out on his players' behalf rather than avoid questions or outright dismiss his players' legitimate grievances the way he did Marsh's. A leader doesn't do that. The guy simply isn't fit to be a head coach, not on any level.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

My concern about Fields starting was more the OL and receiving talent around him. Had we had better than I would’ve been more in the start him now camp. I expected we’d see him week 8 to week 11 at the latest, barring unforeseen transcendent season by Dalton.

I don’t like the beating he took some games, but yeah him starting as soon as he did appears to have helped more than I thought.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers