Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Brett Kollmann talking about Justin Fields?

Artbest
Player of the Month

Agreed - this was AWESOME. It was also depressing to be reminded about just how horrendous, even in year 4, Mitch was at reading fronts and coverages.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I know it seems hard to believe after so many years of futility, but I think we are about to enter a decade plus of great football.

I grew up with the Patriots being laughing stocks along with Tampa Bay, and the cheeseheads were terrible for years pre Holmgren. It was this way for a looking time. The right coach / QB combo changes a franchise FAST. And I think we have it. These changes of guard happen and the NFCN is overdue. Erin’s career is nearing its end and I honestly believe that we are poised to rule the North for a decade or more!

I’m embarrassed that I wanted to fire Nagy, foolish hot headed behavior on my part.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

How weird will it be when the Bears have the best QB in the NFCN?

I don't think you should be embarassed by wanting Nagy fired, dplank. For a supposed offensive genius, he hasn't delivered in his first 3 seasons. He refused to modify his offense to match the available players. Now he has QBs he wants and thinks are capable of running his schemes. If the Bears don't make the playoffs but Fields plays lights out, he'll stick.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He's even good at golf.
TheSting
Practice Squad

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:32 pm How weird will it be when the Bears have the best QB in the NFCN?

I don't think you should be embarassed by wanting Nagy fired, dplank. For a supposed offensive genius, he hasn't delivered in his first 3 seasons. He refused to modify his offense to match the available players. Now he has QBs he wants and thinks are capable of running his schemes. If the Bears don't make the playoffs but Fields plays lights out, he'll stick.
If anyone hasn't seen it BK has a NFCN preview vid up on Bootleg Football https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWSxLq ... LDNMucX3uw and I think they sum Nagy up pretty well, good play designs but bad at calling a good offense
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Once again, I was amazed by how players rise and fall between playing their last college game and the draft as teams overanalyze to the nth degree. This time it worked out great for the Bears.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I saw a tweet this morning about Penei Sewell and Teven Jenkins that said how Jenkins was dinged hard for short arms, but Sewell's arms were actually a 1/4 inch shorter. Sewell rode the "generational talent" label he had from 2019 despite not playing last year. Will he be great? Who knows. But I'm continuously amazed at how strong early narratives are on players and how people then seek out ways to justify a position that was never on firm ground to begin with.

Like you said, this time it worked out great for the Bears. But I'll be forever leery of the "national narrative" going forward.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If you're excited about JF1, this pre-draft discussion may interest you.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Z Bear
MVP

The Fields Meet the Rookie Video just came out

https://youtu.be/aJYL_4Mo0hM
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Great! I really like his dad.
Cool video.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

More motivation for JF1
IE
Hall of Famer

It is incredibly clear to me that Fields' competitiveness is off the charts. It isn't just talk, and then acceptance of failure. When he said he never prepared for a game like he did Clemson in January, he really means it. But he doesn't say WHY - and even though it is obvious it should be noted: because he lost to them the year before. Simple as that. It isn't that the kid doesn't like losing... it is that he doesn't accept it as an outcome. The "bad" games he had last year? Who won? He may have more Tom Brady in him than anything. Tom Brady is a guy who will occasionally have a bad game. But he'll still win most of them through sheer will.

Fields: "I'm pretty good at dancing - you've probably seen me dance in team videos. And I can juggle... I'm pretty good at juggling. And I guess ping-pong too... so when we get into the facility... I guess I'll be whipping guys at that too." I just love that.

This is not a QB who is going to lose to the Packers more than once - and it doesn't matter who the opposing QB is. If Rodgers scores 35 ... Fields will find a way to score 38. That's who he is. There's not going to be post-game interviews where we see a QB and coach so easily accept failure and loss with detached coachy-speak white-washing of loss after loss against a hated rival.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Sadly, that 74 Madden rating they gave JF1 is the highest rated Bears QB in a while. Last year Foles was a 71, Trubisky was a 70 and Dalton was a 72.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

A few random thoughts on Fields that may seem "irrelevant" but which I find noteworthy.

1. He owns a dog. Say what you want but for a College senior to own his own pet and be responsible for its welfare is not a small thing. As many of you know, owning a pet means you have to get home to feed it, to walk it, to clean up after it...that's huge.

2. Fields father was a police officer. Given the context of the last year. George Floyd. BLM. The relationships between LEOs and young, black men...this is not insignificant. It gives him a unique perspective and balanced view on things which will suit him well as a leader, imho.

3. His parents were divorced when he was just a baby and yet they have both been a major part of his life growing up and seem to have a very amicable relationship. Not to say I know the ins and outs of their personal circumstances but the entire family can be seen traveling together, sitting together on draft night and generally tolerating each other. Justin is also really close to his step mom. All of this points to a well adjusted kid.

4. Justin went vegan in college. I know it's all the rage these days and it has become very easy to not eat meat but it is incredibly rare for a college kid to make the decision all on his own to take care of his body in that way. That's really quite remarkable and it bodes well for how he'll take care of his body once he becomes a pro.

5. He is actually isn't the complete sourpuss that he appeared to be on draft night. Getting more glimpses now into his personality I can see that he's not all work and no play. He does have a lighter side that is beginning to show. His lack of emotion and failure to really smile on draft night , I now attribute to one thing. He was fucking pissed about slipping as far as he did. He has a right to be too and the chip on his shoulder is going to be huge.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am It is incredibly clear to me that Fields' competitiveness is off the charts. It isn't just talk, and then acceptance of failure. When he said he never prepared for a game like he did Clemson in January, he really means it. But he doesn't say WHY - and even though it is obvious it should be noted: because he lost to them the year before. Simple as that. It isn't that the kid doesn't like losing... it is that he doesn't accept it as an outcome. The "bad" games he had last year? Who won? He may have more Tom Brady in him than anything. Tom Brady is a guy who will occasionally have a bad game. But he'll still win most of them through sheer will.

Fields: "I'm pretty good at dancing - you've probably seen me dance in team videos. And I can juggle... I'm pretty good at juggling. And I guess ping-pong too... so when we get into the facility... I guess I'll be whipping guys at that too." I just love that.

This is not a QB who is going to lose to the Packers more than once - and it doesn't matter who the opposing QB is. If Rodgers scores 35 ... Fields will find a way to score 38. That's who he is. There's not going to be post-game interviews where we see a QB and coach so easily accept failure and loss with detached coachy-speak white-washing of loss after loss against a hated rival.
I agree with you more than words can express on this IE. And its the number one reason he will be GREAT. It's that attitude he has that you just can't teach that is the difference between the elite and just very good. As you said with Tom Brady....how much of him was his skill vs his just pure determination to win no matter what? Look at what Bucs players said about Tom the week of the Super Bowl? Or Jordan, for all his ridiculous talent, just had that you will not beat me mentality which was his strongest attribute. Fields has it. The Bears now finally have it. I still can't believe so many GM's took stupid pills the same day and passed on this kid. Too bad for them.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 am A few random thoughts on Fields that may seem "irrelevant" but which I find noteworthy.

1. He owns a dog. Say what you want but for a College senior to own his own pet and be responsible for its welfare is not a small thing. As many of you know, owning a pet means you have to get home to feed it, to walk it, to clean up after it...that's huge.

2. Fields father was a police officer. Given the context of the last year. George Floyd. BLM. The relationships between LEOs and young, black men...this is not insignificant. It gives him a unique perspective and balanced view on things which will suit him well as a leader, imho.

3. His parents were divorced when he was just a baby and yet they have both been a major part of his life growing up and seem to have a very amicable relationship. Not to say I know the ins and outs of their personal circumstances but the entire family can be seen traveling together, sitting together on draft night and generally tolerating each other. Justin is also really close to his step mom. All of this points to a well adjusted kid.

4. Justin went vegan in college. I know it's all the rage these days and it has become very easy to not eat meat but it is incredibly rare for a college kid to make the decision all on his own to take care of his body in that way. That's really quite remarkable and it bodes well for how he'll take care of his body once he becomes a pro.

5. He is actually isn't the complete sourpuss that he appeared to be on draft night. Getting more glimpses now into his personality I can see that he's not all work and no play. He does have a lighter side that is beginning to show. His lack of emotion and failure to really smile on draft night , I now attribute to one thing. He was fucking pissed about slipping as far as he did. He has a right to be too and the chip on his shoulder is going to be huge.
All good angles regarding his mental makeup. And on the dog and taking responsibility for another living thing like a puppy. Although Anthony Miller has a kid (cute kid) and I'm not sure if or how that has helped him at all.

Even though all the exposure at such a young age, his Dad seems like the opposite of Todd Marinovich and other "Sports Dads" - and that is huge to have the right priorities and be accountable. His Dad seems to really "get" how to keep his kid grounded. I've heard his Dad was hard on him about his grades at times. I've been that way with my kids and it can be hard. I bet he IS a tough guy at times - but it seems like the respect and relationship is there.

I think the veganism came from his Mom and sister... IIRC they were trying some healthier eating program that was vegan and he decided to join in. And then he liked the impact it had on him and decided to continue. I'm not even sure his Mom and sis are continuing.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He's all in on it too. Watching him order a veggie plate at Morton's Steakhouse with the other rookies was hard core.
IE
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:53 pm He's all in on it too. Watching him order a veggie plate at Morton's Steakhouse with the other rookies was hard core.
Holy crap. It doesn't sound like much, until you think about it. Will power and leadership and sacrifice and all that rolled into one. It would be awesome if he then looked over at the big fatties and said "strap on the feedback, boys".
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

A quote from Quincy Avery in an interview after the workouts with Watson and Love......

“I WAS SHOCKED BY SOME OF THE KNOCKS ON HIM GOING INTO THE DRAFT. LIKE HIS WORK ETHIC. HOW MUCH HE LOVES FOOTBALL. JUSTIN IS ONE OF THE MOST FIERCE COMPETITORS THAT I’VE EVER BEEN AROUND. HE’S NOT ONLY A FIERCE COMPETITOR BUT HE’S WILLING TO LEARN FROM THE GUYS HE’S COMPETING WITH.

IT WAS COOL TO HAVE HIM, JORDAN LOVE, AND DESHAUN AT A WORKOUT AND JUST SEEING JUSTIN PICK DESHAUN’S BRAIN. LIKE ‘OKAY, HOW TO DO YOU USE THAT? WHEN DID YOU USE THAT? HOW DID THIS COME UP?’ HE’S A STUDENT OF THE GAME. I MEAN WE’VE SEEN THE THINGS HE DOES. HE’S BIG, HE’S STRONG, HE CAN DO EVERYTHING WITH THE FOOTBALL, AND HE’S ALSO SOMEBODY THAT GUYS WILL LOVE IN THE LOCKER ROOM.”
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:24 am
Interesting.

Does that mean he's more popular league-wide?
Or that Bear fans are that rabid/excited/desperate?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 am
Interesting.

I think more of the latter than former. But also a bit of the former.

All I know is I've never had the jersey of an active player. But I have a JF1 jersey now...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:13 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 am
Interesting.

I think more of the latter than former. But also a bit of the former.

All I know is I've never had the jersey of an active player. But I have a JF1 jersey now...

I agree, it is rabid Bears fans hoping this is finally the QB this franchise deserves. Throw in some diehard Buckeye fans and there you have it. I gave up buying jerseys of current players. I think the next one I get will either be a Tillman or going really deep, #29, Dennis Gentry. I loved that dude.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

IE
Hall of Famer

Well, this is encouraging...
riddick on fields.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricTighe
MVP

Love when I am right about drafting a player. Told everyone here Lawrence and Fields were the only two QB's worthy of trading up for. Only two QB's worth taking in the first round. We got lucky all those genius NFL draft guys overthought Justin Fields and allowed us to snag him.

My pops always said it better to be lucky than good! Damn, we got lucky.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Thank you sweet baby Jesus. I'm so tired of Rodgers killing us with free plays and watching our guys not even try.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Thank you sweet baby Jesus. I'm so tired of Rodgers killing us with free plays and watching our guys not even try.
Amen to the that!