Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, I will try to temper my excitement over Justin until Nagy has been relieved.

Get the phony Nagy out of the way and then we'll see how the kid can plays...... :wheelchair:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
malk
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 am He also, remarkably IMO, didn’t turn the ball over even once. With all that happening you’d think he’s fumble or toss an INT somewhere along the way.

Learning experience!
This is a rally important point, for all the videos saying that he left some plays on the field, imagine if he had been throwing to those briefly open guys, milliseconds before getting creamed... and then one is a bit off, one comes out just as he's hit... it could have been a 4 or 5 interception game.

So whilst I would have loved him to have had the veteran poise and steel that makes plays from tight spots, I still quite liked him having the veteran mindset to not turn it over and live to fight another play. It's worth remembering that we were within one score for the whole first half, then down by 10 for a couple of drives in the 3rd quarter before bringing it back to one score. Then in the 4th they added another 13 points and and took the game away. Not risking turnovers when the defence is balling isn't the worst idea.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 pm JT on JF

Once again I'm mad at the play design issues more even than player execution issues. You can't lose on the chalkboard. You can't be sitting there on Tuesday night in your office and draw up shit that's gonna put your rookie in these situations. It's inexcusable. If you watch this video and want to hate on Robinson and Mooney for bad routes or Fields for being too indecisive or the oline for being... generally untalented... that's cool for you but I'm focused on the coaches that are making their mistakes in the comfort of their offices
Having watched that... Yes, Fields needs to make quicker decisions. However, there's a dramatic difference between that and what happened in the game. Fields had to be PERFECT to execute what JTO was talking about there. Anybody who expects perfection (or you'll get killed) in your first NFL start in rookie week 3 is a ridiculously unreasonable expectation.

Get the kid out of there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 pm JT on JF

Once again I'm mad at the play design issues more even than player execution issues. You can't lose on the chalkboard. You can't be sitting there on Tuesday night in your office and draw up shit that's gonna put your rookie in these situations. It's inexcusable. If you watch this video and want to hate on Robinson and Mooney for bad routes or Fields for being too indecisive or the oline for being... generally untalented... that's cool for you but I'm focused on the coaches that are making their mistakes in the comfort of their offices
Having watched that... Yes, Fields needs to make quicker decisions. However, there's a dramatic difference between that and what happened in the game. Fields had to be PERFECT to execute what JTO was talking about there. Anybody who expects perfection (or you'll get killed) in your first NFL start in rookie week 3 is a ridiculously unreasonable expectation.

Get the kid out of there.
He didn’t have to be perfect, he just had to be decisive and throw the ball. There are multiple instances highlighted in that video when he had a man and clearly recognized it but didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason.

I don’t know if he was gun shy because of the interception against the Bengals or what but there were opportunities that he recognized (which is good and better than Trubisky) but he has to pull the trigger when opportunities are there.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What is so God damn hard about understanding that the OL got their ass handed to them play after play after play? There was even a metric posted earlier this week proving it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 pm He didn’t have to be perfect, he just had to be decisive and throw the ball. There are multiple instances highlighted in that video when he had a man and clearly recognized it but didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason.
I suspect he's had ball security drummed into him day after day. That's enough to cause split second hesitations.
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:17 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 pm He didn’t have to be perfect, he just had to be decisive and throw the ball. There are multiple instances highlighted in that video when he had a man and clearly recognized it but didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason.
I suspect he's had ball security drummed into him day after day. That's enough to cause split second hesitations.
Totally agree. I've been thinking "Ball security" was the number one focus during the previous week, after the fumble and INT in the second game. So much that JF1 was at least implicitly instructed to not throw it if there was a chance at a TO.

You know - "Be You". LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:56 am What is so God damn hard about understanding that the OL got their ass handed to them play after play after play? There was even a metric posted earlier this week proving it.
Because thats not every play - I get that you can't blame Fields for anything ever - its dumb, but I get it

But he is the guy who held onto the ball longer than ANY QB in the Preseason

And when you go back to Ohio State here's what you get:
"Fields averaged 3.11 seconds before throwing the football, tied for fourth longest in the country; when under pressure, that number jumped to 4.10 seconds, and Fields was sacked on 25 percent of those pressures."

So- yeah - this is a pre-existing condition.

Does a Bad OL make that (AND everything else) worse? Yep. Certainly.

But it is the biggest flaw in his game nonetheless
RichH55
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 am He also, remarkably IMO, didn’t turn the ball over even once. With all that happening you’d think he’s fumble or toss an INT somewhere along the way.

Learning experience!
This is a rally important point, for all the videos saying that he left some plays on the field, imagine if he had been throwing to those briefly open guys, milliseconds before getting creamed... and then one is a bit off, one comes out just as he's hit... it could have been a 4 or 5 interception game.

So whilst I would have loved him to have had the veteran poise and steel that makes plays from tight spots, I still quite liked him having the veteran mindset to not turn it over and live to fight another play. It's worth remembering that we were within one score for the whole first half, then down by 10 for a couple of drives in the 3rd quarter before bringing it back to one score. Then in the 4th they added another 13 points and and took the game away. Not risking turnovers when the defence is balling isn't the worst idea.

This is looking for a reason to compliment when really one doesn't exist

Its akin to wrecking the family car but being "happy" no one was killed.

Its not a good thing though overall. It would be nice to have a working car.

He takes too long getting the ball out - I am not sure that will ever go away

Question will become: Can he overcome it with splash plays

Otherwise you get a Texan situation where there are good plays to be sure - but the negatives overcome the positives and the team isn't even Top 50% in Scoring. Which is a bad outcome
Artbest
Player of the Month

Fields does hold the ball too long at times, but that wasn’t the primary issue in Cleveland. Game plan, preparation, protection, ability to run the ball, overly predictable play calling and fields general readiness were the primary culprits imo.

I don’t see things getting better - the bears aren’t set up for a rookie QB to succeed, They don’t have the oline. They don’t have the monster running game and they don’t have the truly elite pass catcher that fields can simply chuck the ball to and, more often than not, find success.

A new head coach, play caller and more stout offensive front will tell us if fields has what it takes. There’s no credible way to say one way or the other after last Sunday. Josh Allen was terrible as a rookie - with a terrific play caller. On the flip side, Gardner Minshew was good as a rookie - what does it ultimately mean? Less than nothing
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

QB #1: Started every game as a rookie, threw 28 interceptions (still a rookie record), won 3 games
QB#2: Started 11 of 16 games, threw twice as many interceptions as TDs, didn't win a game
QB#3: Threw 4 passes, only completion was an INT
QB#5 and 6: Sat on the bench for several years before starting

Manning, Aikman, Favre, Rodgers, and Brady. There is no formula for when a guy is ready nor how to get him ready. He also has to be put in the best situation for his talents. But you have to have a coach who is able to evaluate groom a young QB. Nagy is not this guy.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Amazing what a little blocking will do. He looked great today. Projecting that he might have a hard time getting the ball out for the rest of his career is moronic. Here we are just one week later and it’s a very different story. Glad to see him rebound with a really solid game!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:32 pm Amazing what a little blocking will do. He looked great today. Projecting that he might have a hard time getting the ball out for the rest of his career is moronic. Here we are just one week later and it’s a very different story. Glad to see him rebound with a really solid game!
Agreed

I bet this guy Dplank thinks every good game against the Lions is gold right?!?!?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:43 pm
Don't know who that guy is but he does evaluations of QB based on would a "replacement level QB make that play" and goes on to define a replacement level QB as "an average backup QB"???? Isn't that setting the bar rather low????
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah - average backup is a joke. There are maybe 2-3 QBs not named Fields who can make that running TD and that throw.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

We'll see what Nagy does with Fields does against the Steelers - stick him back in the Nagy offense or actually let him use his skills. The way Russell Wilson is used would be better than Lamar Jackson although Fields has running skills like a deer.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:46 am We'll see what Nagy does with Fields does against the Steelers - stick him back in the Nagy offense or actually let him use his skills. The way Russell Wilson is used would be better than Lamar Jackson although Fields has running skills like a deer.
He was still in the Nagy offense last week and will be on Monday.

If they make any drastic changes to the offense it wouldn’t be until the bye week.

But I wouldn’t expect that to happen.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah - Lazor isn't installing anything that isn't in Nagy's playbook. He's just better at picking the ripest fruit at the right time. Even then, it seems due to scheme the fruit the Nagy tree bears is "bearly palatable".
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

IE wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am Yeah - Lazor isn't installing anything that isn't in Nagy's playbook. He's just better at picking the ripest fruit at the right time. Even then, it seems due to scheme the fruit the Nagy tree bears is "bearly palatable".
Well said. Think it’s pretty damning as well that I don’t think anyone was saying look at the great job Lazor did as OC in Cincy. They ran well, but I remember thinking why not through to AJ Green more a lot of the games I watched.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am Yeah - Lazor isn't installing anything that isn't in Nagy's playbook. He's just better at picking the ripest fruit at the right time. Even then, it seems due to scheme the fruit the Nagy tree bears is "bearly palatable".
That's true. Mayhaps Lazor whispered in his ear to take off when nothing else was available.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:02 pm
That's true. Mayhaps Lazor whispered in his ear to take off when nothing else was available.
That's what I think. I think Lazor might be inclined to whisper "I trust you & your choices" into JF1's ear than the current "Head Coach". JF1 looked quite comfortable out there last week, and maybe that had a bit to do with feeling like every iota of his being wasn't being hyper scrutinized by a guy he actually doesn't respect (which, reading between the lines in his presser, seems to be true).
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I am swoon.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:26 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:02 pm

That's what I think. I think Lazor might be inclined to whisper "I trust you & your choices" into JF1's ear than the current "Head Coach". JF1 looked quite comfortable out there last week, and maybe that had a bit to do with feeling like every iota of his being wasn't being hyper scrutinized by a guy he actually doesn't respect (which, reading between the lines in his presser, seems to be true).
I agree.

Everytime in the red zone when nagy called a timeout instead of just rolling with the flow I knew he would call some real "sweet" plays that had one options because the defense would never figure to cover old man Graham. Illegal formation was just icing on the cake.
IE
Hall of Famer

I really hate Nagy. I really love JF1.

I wonder if the wildcat thing is something Lazor just installed, or if that was something they had practiced with Monty before he went out. Since Nall and Juice were out there it smelled "new" and a wrinkle they put in to mess with the Pittsburgh D. I liked it sometimes and it worked well a couple of times. I get the concept of having better numbers near the end zone. But I'd rather have JF1's arm as a threat in the red zone personally.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

How many of us have been waiting years for the team being down late in the game and wanting the QB to lead a winning drive? Fields did his job. The receivers, RBs, and OL did their job as the Bears took the lead. Too bad the refs f*cked the Bears 2 ways from Sunday.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

PFF grades are obviously infallible and I won't hear anything else on the matter
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 am How many of us have been waiting years for the team being down late in the game and wanting the QB to lead a winning drive? Fields did his job. The receivers, RBs, and OL did their job as the Bears took the lead. Too bad the refs f*cked the Bears 2 ways from Sunday.
yeah, pretty much

I am very happy watching Fields learn and develop ... he clearly has the skills, so all he needs is the experience, which he gets every start
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thank god we are playing him, he’s growing by leaps and bounds right in front of our eyes!

https://apple.news/A7SULKpMmRW-PNkXnE3nG4Q