Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Ghost of Trubisky would probably be a pretty polite ghost to have. He'd do stuff like fold your laundry while you sleep.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... er-huntley

A pretty fair assessment. We all hope Fields will develop into a special player, but it's certainly not a given at this point.

Nagy has to go to give the kid a chance.
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:04 pm https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... er-huntley

A pretty fair assessment. We all hope Fields will develop into a special player, but it's certainly not a given at this point.

IMO the game plan and play calling yesterday was pretty darn close to being as bad as Cleveland. It isn't the play calls... it is just the entire thing - the strategy & design, the coaching, the team preparation and development, the game day reactions to what is happening, and time management... it is everything.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:37 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:04 pm https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... er-huntley

IMO the game plan and play calling yesterday was pretty darn close to being as bad as Cleveland. It isn't the play calls... it is just the entire thing - the strategy & design, the coaching, the team preparation and development, the game day reactions to what is happening, and time management... it is everything.
Nagy either refuses, or is simply unable, to actually assess what his players can and cannot to and build a game plan accordingly

have a mobile QB who is really effective rolling out and completing passes? force him to be a pocket passer

have a RB on a roll and ready to simply keep being fed the ball? no, gotta start passing now because they will be on to us soon

have a QB and RB both having a good day? can't have that - let's do a double reverse WR sweep for a loss of 12

I was encouraged when Nagy was hired, but he has not been true to his word .. instead, he is a laughingstock moron ... a Loser with a capital L ... and he seems bound and determined to ruin Fields rather than help develop him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:26 am
IE wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:37 am

Nagy either refuses, or is simply unable, to actually assess what his players can and cannot to and build a game plan accordingly

have a mobile QB who is really effective rolling out and completing passes? force him to be a pocket passer

have a RB on a roll and ready to simply keep being fed the ball? no, gotta start passing now because they will be on to us soon

have a QB and RB both having a good day? can't have that - let's do a double reverse WR sweep for a loss of 12

I was encouraged when Nagy was hired, but he has not been true to his word .. instead, he is a laughingstock moron ... a Loser with a capital L ... and he seems bound and determined to ruin Fields rather than help develop him
Yeah, man it sucks - doesn't it? The guy simply cannot seem to learn, appropriately assess situations or even just get out of his own way by completely delegating. He's a bad combination of Dunning-Krueger and compulsively controlling.
otis
Pro Bowler

Don't forget about the wildcat. That always fools the defense.
IE
Hall of Famer

otis wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:58 am Don't forget about the wildcat. That always fools the defense.
Yes - you definitely want to put the ball into the hands of a non-QB and put your QB out there as a decoy or in harm's way when you're a team that struggles to produce offense.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I didn’t see the game thankfully, but heard about the wildcat play. What I don’t get is: if you have a borderline RB at QB, what’s the value in going wildcat? Just run Fields, who has a far greater threat of throwing than Monty would.
dave99
Assistant Coach

I was just about out of this misery last year and then they drafted Fields.
That sucked me back in. The NFL Ticket, paid subscriptions, the whole ball of wax, all just to follow his progress.
And now here I am, wishing the damn game and season would just get over so I could do something productive or at least interesting.
This is a poorly coached team with too much mediocre talent.
If there was even the faintest reason to keep Nagy going into the season there was none at all Sunday night.
An honest to God NFL executive would have fired him on the spot. But we don't have one of those either.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The week before they scored the TD in the "Fields comeback" on the wild cat

For whatever that is worth
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not much RichH55. They enjoyed quite a bit of success running the wildcat against Pittsburgh, but you don't run it on 4th and 1! You don't run from the shotgun on 4th and 1. It's just stupid. Even more stupid than throwing deep on 3rd and 1 when you're at midfield although not quite as stupid as then sending out the punt team, hearing the crowd booing, throwing a tantrum claiming your headset is down and wasting a time out.

I can't recall ever seeing a head coach so out of his depth on game day. The guy's decision making is so bad it's off the charts. Good coaches put their players in positions to succeed. Nagy puts his players in positions to fail and does so time after time going all the way back to his very first game against the Packers. He's detrimental to Fields' development (and the development of all the young players) and has to go.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

We also scored 0 other points with Fields HRS too.

So it wasn't like it was just the Wild Cat
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Nobody said it was.
otis
Pro Bowler

I wasn't sure about fields in this one. Maybe the lack of Robinson had a bigger effect on the other guys getting open. But the no throw to Montgomery was a bummer. No throws to the tight ends. I would think a eight yard in route from kmet world be there all day. And hardly any roll outs. Kind of a fail from coach's and the qb. The run game looked good for a while tho.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I see the explosive plays from fields and the down field accuracy. My worry is twofold, the just maintaining positive plays where you can get them and his pocket presence.

Hopefully both will improve, but he doesn’t have any sort of feel for the pocket, fumbles a lot, and struggles to take what’s there a lot for my taste.
Artbest
Player of the Month

While I do think Fields puts his body in harms way (way) too often & fumbles continue to be a problem, IMO there’s been an improvement in pocket presence and awareness since the Tampa debacle.

There’s a tendency to overreact to the bad (ravens) and good (over 200 second half passing game yards & what should have been a game winning td to Mooney in Pittsburgh). Fields is inconsistent- seemed to be fooled by what the ravens were showing him. If he’s still having games like this after next season (ala Jay Cutler laying eggs in year 11 against the Eagles and Bucs), that will be a problem
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm shocked that anyone is commenting about Fields' development, decision making and the result of plays and play calls without mentioning Nagy.

How would your pocket presence and decision-making be if YOU were Matt Nagy's QB and trying to execute his offense, game plan and play calls?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 am I'm shocked that anyone is commenting about Fields' development, decision making and the result of plays and play calls without mentioning Nagy.

How would your pocket presence and decision-making be if YOU were Matt Nagy's QB and trying to execute his offense, game plan and play calls?
Probably similar

I am not an NFL QB though

Dalton looked better
IE
Hall of Famer

Oh look - JF1 is injured and the troll is back.

I got a notification that you responded to my post, troll - but you're blocked and I don't see your crappy comments including whatever this one says. It's nice - that block feature. Don't bother interacting with me.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Been a Bears fan since I can remember (so sometimes mid 80s?) - That doesn't mean I have to say everything is awesome when it isn't

You want to come off as a fool - be my guest.

The whole none of it is Fields fault - he was a perfect prospect can't miss - Nagy is just that bad! crowd isn't for me.

The book on Fields was that he holds the ball too long - that predates Nagy sir.

We aren't tOSU - we can't outtalent the opposition - Despite what the block feature says
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:00 am While I do think Fields puts his body in harms way (way) too often & fumbles continue to be a problem, IMO there’s been an improvement in pocket presence and awareness since the Tampa debacle.

There’s a tendency to overreact to the bad (ravens) and good (over 200 second half passing game yards & what should have been a game winning td to Mooney in Pittsburgh). Fields is inconsistent- seemed to be fooled by what the ravens were showing him. If he’s still having games like this after next season (ala Jay Cutler laying eggs in year 11 against the Eagles and Bucs), that will be a problem

Fair post - and of course even this gentle critique is too much for the Fields can do no wrong crowd

Bears mentioning for the 1,000 time - He DOES have basically every tool in the toolshed - and he is only a rookie.

No red flags though? Cmon folks
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab
Mod

Just when I start to think Lambert has turned a corner...

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... future-qb/
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Yeah, I've read some stuff about JF1's trade value being the big reason a GM may be interested in the Bears. I threw up a little in my mouth when I read it.
IE
Hall of Famer

Controversy creates clicks and that creates revenue. Lambert deliberately parses quotes looking for controversy to expand upon and generate attention.

It may sound weird but no matter how much I love JF1 and hope (expect!) him to be the top QB that leads the Bears to the next dynasty ... if a truly amazing GM and HC come in and they want to go in another direction ... I'll be on board. But they had better be right & not trade Lou Brock!

I believe and predict JF1 will be playing very well and earn the respect outside of Nagy's incompetent and willful malfeasance. But of course we can always be wrong in our predictions and hopes and I've been wrong before. If JF1 wasn't playing well towards the end of next season in a new ostensibly good offense, I'll open my mind to the possibility he isn't The One.

Bottom line is I'm a Bear fan over all else.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I wouldn’t wipe my ass with that article.

Soldier Fields is the MF’ing man.

He just needs an OL. Then an HC that isn’t a moron.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 pm I wouldn’t wipe my ass with that article.

I got a visual of you wiping your ass with an iPhone and my brain is burning. lol
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 pm I wouldn’t wipe my ass with that article.

I got a visual of you wiping your ass with an iPhone and my brain is burning. lol
Lol.

It’s nice and smooth but not very absorbent nor pliable.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am Just when I start to think Lambert has turned a corner...

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... future-qb/
That tool got what he wanted - a bunch of attention / clicks on his shitty article. Guilty as charged.