Nagy Hot Seat

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not that it was going to happen but it's the Thursday after the MNF game and Nagy's still coaching. Doubt the Halases would pull the trigger now.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

He will get the rest of the season to prove they can develop Justin Fields.

If the kid's play is ascending, there's a good chance Nagy isn't going anywhere. (be warned...)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 pm He will get the rest of the season to prove they can develop Justin Fields.

If the kid's play is ascending, there's a good chance Nagy isn't going anywhere. (be warned...)
yep ... Justin Fields progressing and playing well could save Nagy's job

and we all do want Fields to progress and learn and play well ... but we don't necessarily want Nagy to benefit from it because most want a change at HC

quite the quandary
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Artbest
Player of the Month

I think Fields progressing helps Nagy's (and Pace's) cause...but its likely no guarantee of employment beyond 2021. The Bears have to start winning some football games. They have to stop looking like they didn't practice all week at the start of games. If they go 7-10 or worse, I don't see Nagy returning regardless of Field's progress. Fields is starting to slowly overcome a deck stacked against him as opposed to thriving in an environment ideally suited for a rookie QB.

Nagy needs to win to keep his job imo.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am Not that it was going to happen but it's the Thursday after the MNF game and Nagy's still coaching. Doubt the Halases would pull the trigger now.
We still have the Thanksgiving game. Nagy scheming a stinker for a loss there could begin a new era in Chicago with an in-season firing. Wishful thinking on my part, I know.

I agree that winning is just as important as JF1 showing progression as it relates to Nagys employment. Both need to happen for him to remain coaching going forward in my opinion.

I cant fathom going into next year with Nagy. So it will probably happen.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:19 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am Not that it was going to happen but it's the Thursday after the MNF game and Nagy's still coaching. Doubt the Halases would pull the trigger now.
We still have the Thanksgiving game. Nagy scheming a stinker for a loss there could begin a new era in Chicago with an in-season firing. Wishful thinking on my part, I know.

I agree that winning is just as important as JF1 showing progression as it relates to Nagys employment. Both need to happen for him to remain coaching going forward in my opinion.

I cant fathom going into next year with Nagy. So it will probably happen.
What is the McCaskey's definition of progress? What if JF1 lights it up the rest of the year but the team muddles through with a below .500 record and misses the playoffs? I think they may roll with the Dynamic Duo for another year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

JMO, but even if Fields keeps showing progress this team needs to show they can score points to retain Nagy. Like, 2021 NFL points, not 1965 points. Nagy's offense has never shown an ability to do this, we rank near bottom in points scored every damn year. Points are literally Nagy's job. If we can start scoring points like big boys, even I'll be fine with keeping Nagy. If we don't, after this long, we must stop chasing ghosts and move on. Leadership 101 George!
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Problem is, the Bears definition of upgrade.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:32 amImage

That's what Big Boy Franchises do.

The Bears....
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

If a barely winning record and a 1 game playoff appearance every so often is what the McCaskeys are after, keep Nagy. I'm hoping with Fields and the possibility of Arlington, their expectations are much higher.
G08
Hall of Famer

I am not a fan of gutting GMs and Head Coaches every few years, you simply cannot build that way.

Now, if the Head Coach isn't producing results and you feel the team has talent, then I am not opposed to keeping the GM and hiring a new Head Coach.

Pace has done A LOT for this franchise, I'm not of the opinion ownership wants to get rid of him. Besides, there are some examples of GMs who have hired 3 coaches and found success:

Jason Licht - Lovie Smith, Dirk Koetter, Bruce Arians

Tom Telesco - Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn, Brandon Staley

Steve Keim - Bruce Arians, Steve Wilks, Kliff Kingsbury

John Elway - John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph, Vic Fangio

Howie Rosman - Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Doug Pederson, Nick Sirianni

Rick Spielman - Brad Childress, Leslie Frazier, Mike Zimmer
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am I am not a fan of gutting GMs and Head Coaches every few years, you simply cannot build that way.

Now, if the Head Coach isn't producing results and you feel the team has talent, then I am not opposed to keeping the GM and hiring a new Head Coach.

Pace has done A LOT for this franchise, I'm not of the opinion ownership wants to get rid of him. Besides, there are some examples of GMs who have hired 3 coaches and found success:

This is completely where I am at. I expect that Pace will be retained and Nagy fired. The McCaskey's are all in on Pace for the long term, and actually his track record is better than average for an NFL GM. You've got your GM, you've got your QB of the future, now you need the HC that can get the most out of him. Hopefully Pace recognizes that's not Nagy.
PaulM
Practice Squad

Xee wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:18 pm
I know we are Bear fans and are a pessimistic lot by nature .
IMO we mustn't be pessimistic after a good analysis of the game :pirate:
I Mean, well, for example: New England ist back after a short time Brady left the show.
I was watching just the last recaps of them...and, yes NE is playing nearly the same successful Football as under Brady.
So i come back to my conclusion and I stay with my opinion - Brady isnt the GOAT - he's average as many other QBs too.
But he was learning the better strategy, I guess invented only by Belichick?!
His knowledge is the GOAT - so the Bucs bought the hole package (Brady+Gronkowski) to learn from them
"Only from the Best you learn the best"! Thats a normal transaction!
Result? For a wonder: a SB Titkle

I just saw the same trick plays - an overkill on tricks, alternating plays, runnimg game, passing game combined with more good tricks and altogether an well interactioned team!

So if the bears wants to play on the same level, they have to change their hole OL strategy.
Yes Fields is just here, but thats no fast-selling item.
I guess if the Bears had hired Brady 20 years ago, he hadnt won any SB, and people woulnd say: "he was an awful QB" ;)

If i was Bears GM, i would analyse any play of the NE team and would copy all...
Especially if NE wins again back to back SBs while Bears need 50 years for 2 Finals.
Last edited by PaulM on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 am The McCaskey's are all in on Pace for the long term, and actually his track record is better than average for an NFL GM.
You're using very different metrics than I am
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

PaulM wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 am
So if the bears wants to play on the same level, they have to change their hole OL strategy.
I think you nailed it right there.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

3rd year in a row the Bears have had a 4 game (or more) losing streak..
wab
Mod

I can't stand Lambert or Sports Mockery. But...

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... he-season/

It's mostly just a handful of words with little substance.
docc
Head Coach

...and they...

lost
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 am
G08 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am I am not a fan of gutting GMs and Head Coaches every few years, you simply cannot build that way.

This is completely where I am at. I expect that Pace will be retained and Nagy fired. The McCaskey's are all in on Pace for the long term, and actually his track record is better than average for an NFL GM. You've got your GM, you've got your QB of the future, now you need the HC that can get the most out of him. Hopefully Pace recognizes that's not Nagy.
Realistically this is what I think will happen.

Pace will be retained. Even though his drafting of Mitch should be enough to fire him I'm guessing the McCaskey's are so happy about Fields' potential and the way Pace got him on draft day that Pace saved his job.

Nagy has to be toast. I can't see a scenario in which they keep him.
Artbest
Player of the Month

While I think it IS possibly, likely even, that Pace stays and Nagy goes, the case for Pace remains weak at best.

I don’t know that one winning season out of 7 is “above average.”

It’s difficult - for me anyway - to consider a GM whose roster after 7 years is this old, bereft of explosive blue chip talent and lacking in draft capital “above average.” Then there’s being compelled to trade up twice within 5 years for a QB…

I do expect pace to stay - for now - and I’m afraid the bears may seriously regret that decision
dplank
Hall of Famer

I truly hope not, he’s created a real mess here after inheriting a great cap situation. He pushed his chips in on the wrong side of the ball, and went all in.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:41 am Nagy has to be toast. I can't see a scenario in which they keep him.
I can ... just listen to the current rhetoric about being "one play away" and still being "in contention" and you get a clue

Bears go 9-8 or 8-9 and barely squeak into the playoffs as the 3rd WC due more to other teams screwing up than the Bears actually making themselves relevant ... and since this has been such a weird year of surprise wins, the Bears get one of their own with a first round playoff win and then get eliminated the next week

so here is Nagy with 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win in his tenure and the team rewards him with a 3-5 year extension
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The cap is okay for next year after being shot this one. Nagy's a disaster. The D has too many underproducing and ancient players. The OLwas allowed to atrophy and is now at the "sucks" stage. He drafted Mitch. What's not to like about Pace?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

This hot seat must have evaporated by now🔥
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears respond to a demand to fire Nagy and hire a competent head coach for once:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

2019 - 4 game losing streak
2020 - 6 game losing streak
2021 - 5 game losing streak (to date)

0-4 after a bye week
Team leads NFL in personal fouls

Lack of discipline all the way around.

Spells the guy needs to go. No "if", "ands" or "but", the proof is there.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I don't even think I care that it's a short week. Make the move now. Let Matt and Ryan spend Thanksgiving at home with their families.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Let's talk about basic football strategy.

You just scored a TD to go up 13-9. You're now up by four, already forcing the competition to go the length of the field and score a TD in a short amount of time. If you kick the PAT, and they do score a TD with a PAT, a FG allows you to win the game outright. Why in the FUCK are you going for a 2-point conversion?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm Let's talk about basic football strategy.

You just scored a TD to go up 13-9. You're now up by four, already forcing the competition to go the length of the field and score a TD in a short amount of time. If you kick the PAT, and they do score a TD with a PAT, a FG allows you to win the game outright. Why in the FUCK are you going for a 2-point conversion?
I honestly cannot fathom that decision.
It’s just impossible to rationalise.
Whoever made that call really needs to removed from all future decisions.
It’s just dumb. It’s not negligent, it’s dumb.
I speak as someone who is fairly tactically naïve.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural