Nagy Hot Seat

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Artbest
Player of the Month

re: Josh McDaniels, I don't see him having (any) interest in the Bears job - a. Justin Fields doesn't appear to be his kind of QB and b. I still believe he sees himself as Belichick's heir apparent. IF he did become the next Bear head coach, it would be because a. he actually (and surprisingly) LIKES Justin Fields ALOT and b. being the head coach of the league's charter franchise in its third largest market is a more appealing long-term opportunity than, say, coaching in Indianapolis
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:30 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 pm The majority of Bears fans like any head coaching hire simply because the reason they're getting hired is that the last guy failed. That's just natural for the followers of any team in any sport. A new hire brings fresh hope that maybe this time things will be different. It will be the same thing this time around. A few will always be pessimistic, a few will have their doubts but buy into the hope, most will be optimistic and happy with the signing, and some will convince themselves before a game has even been played that he's a sure thing who will lead the team to multiple championships on his way to the Hall of Fame.
I don't know man... I don't think I would be excited about McDaniels at all.
I could make a case for McDaniels (I have before).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm re: Josh McDaniels, I don't see him having (any) interest in the Bears job - a. Justin Fields doesn't appear to be his kind of QB and b. I still believe he sees himself as Belichick's heir apparent. IF he did become the next Bear head coach, it would be because a. he actually (and surprisingly) LIKES Justin Fields ALOT and b. being the head coach of the league's charter franchise in its third largest market is a more appealing long-term opportunity than, say, coaching in Indianapolis
Why isn't JF1 his kind of QB? He doesn't like guys who are accurate even when on the run & to the left & who have a great deep touch? Would he not have even more ability to be creative if he had Mac Jones only with a bigger arm and mobility? I'm sure Josh is too busy during the season, but I imaging him watching tape of the Bear offense and feeling sorry for JF1 and thinking "holy crap what a clusterfuck and criminal use of that kid".

I'm not sure he has the patience to wait for Belichick to step away. Especially with Jones now I see Belichick sticking around to prove that it wasn't Brady by winning for a while with the new kid.

Brady and Belichick are like Jordan and Pippen. lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Artbest
Player of the Month

Just my hunch re: McDaniels and a QB like Fields...

I see his success with Tom Brady, him actually getting a fair amount of production from Kyle Orton, and their prioritizing of Mac Jones. While the skill levels (obviously) vary, there's a similarity among these QBs - particularly Brady and (clearly not in the same league - but I'm only referencing style) Jones. Very accurate short to medium range passers, more ball distributors than great individual playmakers, can see the entire field and effectively run a high volume spread passing attack.

While Fields doesn't display similar petulance or aloofness, I DO see some broad comparison in Fields game and Jay Cutler's game - huge arms, good (or in the case of Fields, great) athletes, can make the wow throws, struggles with seeing and processing the entire field. Jay never overcame the latter - but, at the time McDaniels was hired in Denver, Jay widely viewed as an elite talent who was on the rise. McDaniels preferred a different (type of) QB.

Again - I could be way off base. Perhaps McDaniels sees in Justin Fields a QB he can work/thrive with. I don't, however, believe he'd consider the Bears if his plan is to ultimately replace Fields. He'll either stay in NE OR go to a team where he can draft "his kind of QB."

IE wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 pm
Artbest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm re: Josh McDaniels, I don't see him having (any) interest in the Bears job - a. Justin Fields doesn't appear to be his kind of QB and b. I still believe he sees himself as Belichick's heir apparent. IF he did become the next Bear head coach, it would be because a. he actually (and surprisingly) LIKES Justin Fields ALOT and b. being the head coach of the league's charter franchise in its third largest market is a more appealing long-term opportunity than, say, coaching in Indianapolis
Why isn't JF1 his kind of QB? He doesn't like guys who are accurate even when on the run & to the left & who have a great deep touch? Would he not have even more ability to be creative if he had Mac Jones only with a bigger arm and mobility? I'm sure Josh is too busy during the season, but I imaging him watching tape of the Bear offense and feeling sorry for JF1 and thinking "holy crap what a clusterfuck and criminal use of that kid".

I'm not sure he has the patience to wait for Belichick to step away. Especially with Jones now I see Belichick sticking around to prove that it wasn't Brady by winning for a while with the new kid.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Josh McDaniels is Niedermeyer from Animal House. Hard pass.
otis
Pro Bowler

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 am Josh McDaniels is Niedermeyer from Animal House. Hard pass.
Niedermeyer=Tool. Thank you
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Fields and Mac Jones are very different QBs

Then again - McDaniels went for Tebow as well - Who is also quite different from Fields overall - but 2 Clear similarities (Athletic and accurate deep - they ONLY passing type that Tebow was accurate on mind you as he was AWFUL at other aspects of accuracy)
GSH
MVP

funny how soon as cordarrelle patterson gets out of nagy's scheme he's putting up 400 rush yds and 500 rec yds
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am funny how soon as cordarrelle patterson gets out of nagy's scheme he's putting up 400 rush yds and 500 rec yds
From nfl.com:
Three 2022 NFL free agents teams must keep
Cynthia Frelund
NFL Network Analytics Expert

Cordarrelle Patterson
Atlanta Falcons · RB

NGS shows that Patterson has +18 rushing yards over expected, which is by far the best mark among the Falcons' primary ball-carriers (Wayne Gallman: -31; Mike Davis: -103). However, the bigger story is how special he's been in the passing game, whether aligning in the backfield, slot or out wide. Patterson has been targeted 17 times out of the backfield, making 15 grabs for 135 yards and two touchdowns. He's caught eight of his nine targets from the slot for 84 yards and one touchdown. He's 17 of 24 out wide for 280 yards and two more touchdowns. The fun thing about tracking Patterson's progress is that we saw flashes of his ability on offense during his previous eight seasons, but Falcons coach Arthur Smith appears to have fully unlocked his potential in 2021. The versatility Patterson provides causes headaches for defenses and is especially complementary to a QB with more pocket-centric traits like Matt Ryan.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/three-2022-nfl ... m-will-ups
IE
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:30 pm Just my hunch re: McDaniels and a QB like Fields...

I see his success with Tom Brady, him actually getting a fair amount of production from Kyle Orton, and their prioritizing of Mac Jones. While the skill levels (obviously) vary, there's a similarity among these QBs - particularly Brady and (clearly not in the same league - but I'm only referencing style) Jones. Very accurate short to medium range passers, more ball distributors than great individual playmakers, can see the entire field and effectively run a high volume spread passing attack.

While Fields doesn't display similar petulance or aloofness, I DO see some broad comparison in Fields game and Jay Cutler's game - huge arms, good (or in the case of Fields, great) athletes, can make the wow throws, struggles with seeing and processing the entire field. Jay never overcame the latter - but, at the time McDaniels was hired in Denver, Jay widely viewed as an elite talent who was on the rise. McDaniels preferred a different (type of) QB.

Again - I could be way off base. Perhaps McDaniels sees in Justin Fields a QB he can work/thrive with. I don't, however, believe he'd consider the Bears if his plan is to ultimately replace Fields. He'll either stay in NE OR go to a team where he can draft "his kind of QB."

Of course JFI can distribute the ball in that sort of offense, and has short & medium accuracy. It is like you're ignoring that just because he can do more. You're making enormous assumptions about what McDaniels likes & thinks... and as far as I can tell that opinion seems sort of made up - did McDaniels say anything like that? You have no idea whether or not NE would have taken Fields and been even more excited.

I don't think for a second that because McDaniels had success with a certain type QB that he second-guesses his own ability with a slightly different QB with an even bigger skill set. It is sort of absurd where you went with this. It also sort of seems like you don't like JF1, since you're ignoring his demonstrated skill set WHILE establishing fact (in your mind) that he can't "see the field" while also ignoring Nagy's criminally bad offensive strategies and tactics.

i don't think anything you said is "how it is".
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 am Josh McDaniels is Niedermeyer from Animal House. Hard pass.
That may be the best comparison I've ever heard for McDaniels.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am funny how soon as cordarrelle patterson gets out of nagy's scheme he's putting up 400 rush yds and 500 rec yds
I'm kind of shocked myself (sarcasm alert). That's kind of the production it would have been nice to get out of Cohen.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Matt Nagy has to go, and quickly, for 1 reason alone; conflict of interest.

Matt Nagy is fighting for his coaching life, or of what little still lives. Everything he does from this point on is to save himself and nothing more.

It's too late!

The organization needs to look towards the future and that means playing young guys to see if the cupboard is bare or full of goodies, win or lose. The idea that Nagy would use Tevin Jenkins only as depth even if he is healthy is ridiculous. I cant believe he actually said that.

This organization needs to move fast and I feel like a blowout loss to Greenbay next week will provide the cover for the McCaskeys to make their first in season firing.

Then this thread can die!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 pm The organization needs to look towards the future and that means playing young guys to see if the cupboard is bare or full of goodies, win or lose. The idea that Nagy would use Tevin Jenkins only as depth even if he is healthy is ridiculous. I cant believe he actually said that.
The McCaskeys are allowing a bad situation to deteriorate even further. Really not surprising with them but it doesn't speak well for future Bears teams. Rather than admitting that the season is lost and playing young guys to see if holes in the '22 team actually have pieces in place, they are allowing Nagy's self-centered interests to hijack this organization. Enough already.
IotaNet
MVP

This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a while but I haven't felt like doing the research.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that Nagy is a crappy play caller. Does anyone remember Nagy's last game as the KC OC - a game they lost to the Titans? He called an an absolutely terrible game that day:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/220 ... ayoff-loss

Here are some nuggets from the article:
  • "The Chiefs, after scoring 21 points in the first half, were shut out afterward and wound up losing 22-21 in the wild-card round. The Chiefs had three first downs and 61 yards in the second half."
  • "Running back Kareem Hunt, the NFL's leading rusher during the regular season, had just five carries in the second half. The Chiefs led until the Titans took the lead with six minutes remaining."
  • "Tight end Travis Kelce, who was having a big game, left for good late in the first half because of a concussion. The Chiefs struggled without him, but Nagy assumed the blame. "You've got to adapt," said"
This is who Nagy was before he got here and its the same coach he's turned out to be the whole time he's been here. :frustrated:

A famous writer put it this way: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

IotaNet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 am This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a while but I haven't felt like doing the research.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that Nagy is a crappy play caller. Does anyone remember Nagy's last game as the KC OC - a game they lost to the Titans? He called an an absolutely terrible game that day:

• "The Chiefs, after scoring 21 points in the first half, were shut out afterward and wound up losing 22-21 in the wild-card round. The Chiefs had three first downs and 61 yards in the second half."
  • "Running back Kareem Hunt, the NFL's leading rusher during the regular season, had just five carries in the second half. The Chiefs led until the Titans took the lead with six minutes remaining."
  • "Tight end Travis Kelce, who was having a big game, left for good late in the first half because of a concussion. The Chiefs struggled without him, but Nagy assumed the blame. "You've got to adapt," said"
This is who Nagy was before he got here and its the same coach he's turned out to be the whole time he's been here. :frustrated:

A famous writer put it this way: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
3 first downs and 61 yards in the second half, where have we seen that before?

Good post Iota.

Tonight we either win our Superbowl this year, or Nagy is sent packing. We really cant lose tonight and I expect a much more jovial group in the discord
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

3 first downs and 61 yards in the second half? That's the sort of production we can only dream of most games!
IE
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 am This has been rattling around in the back of my mind for a while but I haven't felt like doing the research.

Great post. Holy crap that is such a perfect foreshadowing of Nagy's Bears....

This last run of games since the bye... the debacle loss against the Lamar-less Raven, the near-loss in Detroit and then the two pass-wacky games against the Card and Packer (two high powered offenses you want to keep off the field and limit their clock)... that's quite a string of conspicuous bad and blunders. The guy seems to be wanting/trying to win... but can't help himself in the end. He thinks the way to win is his way - and his way is not a winning way.

I can't believe he'll survive more than another game. They NEED to clearly open that spot for prospective replacements. The season is over - it is player development time.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Okay, George, the ball's in your court after another Bears' loss to the Pack and a prime time embarrassment. Unfortunately I think Bears' fans are that band who are playing on the deck of the Titanic in the movie while the ship goes down.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 pm The organization needs to look towards the future and that means playing young guys to see if the cupboard is bare or full of goodies, win or lose. The idea that Nagy would use Tevin Jenkins only as depth even if he is healthy is ridiculous. I cant believe he actually said that.
The McCaskeys are allowing a bad situation to deteriorate even further. Really not surprising with them but it doesn't speak well for future Bears teams. Rather than admitting that the season is lost and playing young guys to see if holes in the '22 team actually have pieces in place, they are allowing Nagy's self-centered interests to hijack this organization. Enough already.
Yep. I preach this all the time in business and life, know when you’ve gotten something wrong and don’t cling to your mistakes. It requires real confidence and maturity, but life moves fast so if you don’t keep up you are left behind.

Everything the Bears do happens in slow motion and lacks urgency.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am

Yep. I preach this all the time in business and life, know when you’ve gotten something wrong and don’t cling to your mistakes. It requires real confidence and maturity, but life moves fast so if you don’t keep up you are left behind.

Everything the Bears do happens in slow motion and lacks urgency.
Sold out stadiums, big TV deals, and high merchandise sales dampen the urgency of making changes.
UOK
Site Admin

docc
Head Coach

Awesome hindsight coaching Nagy..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Lafluer has not last consecutive games, ever. Nags has had 4, 5 and 6 game streaks the past 3 yrs. Bears are 1-8 last 9 games. That says kick ass righty?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:37 pm Awesome hindsight coaching Nagy..
well, after the game his head comes out of his ass so that's when he sees things clearly until he re-inserts prior to the next game
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Nagy still coaching? WTF?? Next Monday will be a spectacle and Virginia will hear the boos echo through her loins.🤢
wab
Mod

Hema2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm Nagy still coaching? WTF?? Next Monday will be a spectacle and Virginia will hear the boos echo through her loins.🤢
Eh, I think they will actually beat the vikings.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Could you imagine your career and life goal is on the line. Out of petrifying fear you submit.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm Nagy still coaching? WTF?? Next Monday will be a spectacle and Virginia will hear the boos echo through her loins.🤢
Eh, I think they will actually beat the vikings.
I'm not so sure about a win. But even so, I expect the boos and Fire Nagy chants to happen anyways.

Virginia is going to love another nationally televised shit show.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:02 pm Could you imagine your career and life goal is on the line. Out of petrifying fear you submit.
If you are talking about the 4th and inches, I totally agree. Tell your team you will go down fighting. Losing at that point didnt matter.