Nagy Hot Seat

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

As I understand it we can interview potential replacements in the new year (Jan 2nd).

So I expect Nagy to get his Christmas bonus in the form of a pay off.
He’ll be here until the end of week 16.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Z Bear
MVP

Hopefully the Steelers keep getting hurt and Tomlin is let go, he would be my first choice. We tried the hot offensive coordinator project in Nagy, can't see us doing it again with Daboll, Leftwich, or Moore (he would be my choice of the three). I am not a fan of having a guy trying to learn to be a NFL coach and run an offense, it proved way too much for Nagy, so going that way again would be a mistake. Bring in a guy that has coaching experience this time and let him hire coordinators to run each of the three phases.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not that either guy was seriously in the conversation. But Lincoln Riley jumped from Univ. of Oklahoma to USC and Brian Kelley from Notre Dame to LSU (bit of a shocker). The Bears are still hot on Pat Fitzgerald but he swears he won't leave Northwestern. Ryan Day's name has been in the press this week as a possibility. If Michigan had lost to Ohio State yet again, I think Harbaugh would have been out and a possibility but now I think he stays.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

ND playing at Illinois (hoops) last night ... the Illini students were yelling "Hire Nagy", mocking ND and putting a funny twist on the "fire Nagy" trend at games. Then later as the clock wound down, they shouted L-S-U! Which was all pretty mean and pretty funny.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I cringe, but Josh McDaniels' name has been floating around more often than I'd like.
He made enough chicken salad out of Tebow to win a playoff game against Pittsburgh, and he's bringing Mac jones along faster than I thought he'd be able to...
Annnnnd he's still an arrogant fuck who will alienate people from him...

Anyone else sold?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears fans are all just great judges of character. I think I remember the majority, probably an overwhelming majority, really liked the Nagy hiring.

How's that working for us and the team?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am Bears fans are all just great judges of character. I think I remember the majority, probably an overwhelming majority, really liked the Nagy hiring.

I loved the Nagy hire and started chiseling his HOF bust after 2018, thought we finally had our guy. Whoops. My only saving grace is that I don't get stuck on things and can admit when I get it wrong. I was ready to fire Nagy last offseason, I didn't need to see this year to know I was wrong about him.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:44 am I cringe, but Josh McDaniels' name has been floating around more often than I'd like.
He made enough chicken salad out of Tebow to win a playoff game against Pittsburgh, and he's bringing Mac jones along faster than I thought he'd be able to...
Annnnnd he's still an arrogant fuck who will alienate people from him...

Anyone else sold?
My biggest worry about McDaniels is that he will want to replace Fields with his guy. If the Mac Jones type is his type of QB thats not Fields. McDaniels is the same guy who wanted to pick Cassel over the coming off a pro bowl season Cutler right? Wouldn't put it past him to get the job and then try to move Fields
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree, he should have been launched after last season. I remember I was high on Dick Jauron. That didn't quite work out. After that I turned into a wait and see kind of guy. I honestly do not follow other OCs and DCs so can't comment on them much. I am not in favor of anyone until they start winning consistently. As a Bears fan conditioned that way as well.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am Bears fans are all just great judges of character. I think I remember the majority, probably an overwhelming majority, really liked the Nagy hiring.

I loved the Nagy hire and started chiseling his HOF bust after 2018, thought we finally had our guy. Whoops. My only saving grace is that I don't get stuck on things and can admit when I get it wrong. I was ready to fire Nagy last offseason, I didn't need to see this year to know I was wrong about him.
Even the 2018 playcalling was suspect. The Bears just had such a dominant defense that it really didnt matter. I too, was over Nagy last year.

But I will say that I dont think I've seen any 1 person on this message board question Matt Nagy the person.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The majority of Bears fans like any head coaching hire simply because the reason they're getting hired is that the last guy failed. That's just natural for the followers of any team in any sport. A new hire brings fresh hope that maybe this time things will be different. It will be the same thing this time around. A few will always be pessimistic, a few will have their doubts but buy into the hope, most will be optimistic and happy with the signing, and some will convince themselves before a game has even been played that he's a sure thing who will lead the team to multiple championships on his way to the Hall of Fame.
wulfy
MVP

I'm still waiting for Dave McGinnis to say Yes.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 pm The majority of Bears fans like any head coaching hire simply because the reason they're getting hired is that the last guy failed. That's just natural for the followers of any team in any sport. A new hire brings fresh hope that maybe this time things will be different. It will be the same thing this time around. A few will always be pessimistic, a few will have their doubts but buy into the hope, most will be optimistic and happy with the signing, and some will convince themselves before a game has even been played that he's a sure thing who will lead the team to multiple championships on his way to the Hall of Fame.
I don't know man... I don't think I would be excited about McDaniels at all.

But I also once thought Russ Grimm would be a good choice.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Picking a new coach is a crap shoot. Kind of like drafting QBs. People can look good on paper or coordinating, but becoming the man can be quite different. I have really no clue on who will work out, but would love to see Dave Toub get a chance somewhere.
otis
Pro Bowler

I'm not so sure everyone was on board with the Nagy hire. It was common knowledge that Reid called the offense and the one game nagy did call he lost. Not alot there that says offensive genius. I'm not sure who was out there to hire. It seems like they all had some warts.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

otis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:17 pm I'm not so sure everyone was on board with the Nagy hire. It was common knowledge that Reid called the offense and the one game nagy did call he lost. Not alot there that says offensive genius. I'm not sure who was out there to hire. It seems like they all had some warts.
He called more than one game, Reid turned over play calling around mid season.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More indictments of Nagy's abilities to run a successful offense, prepare players or get the most out of them:
Andy Dalton passed for 317 yards against the Lions on Thanksgiving, but the Bears still scored just 16 points. That’s the third fewest points scored this season in the NFL (out of 80) with a quarterback throwing for 300 or more yards. The Bears by the way, are 12-24 (.333) since 2009 when a quarterback throws for 300 or more yards — 4-4 (.500) under Matt Nagy.

With Dalton’s winning performance against the Lions “without one live rep the entire week” as Nagy said, Bears non-rookie quarterbacks are now 7-1 with a 99.3 passer rating (13 touchdowns, four interceptions) in impromptu situations in Nagy’s offense — either coming in cold during a game or on a short week with minimum or no practice time. It almost seems like less is more when it comes to operating Nagy’s offense. The only loss was with Dalton against the Ravens on Nov. 21, when Dalton threw two touchdown passes and had a 107.3 rating in a 16-13 loss.

Former Bears left tackle Charles Leno has one penalty in 11 games this season with Washington after having 40 in his previous four seasons with the Bears. … Leno is ranked 14th among NFL offensive tackles this season by Pro Football Focus. Peters is ranked 21st.

Falcons running back/wide receiver/kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson had 16 carries for 108 yards and two touchdowns and two receptions for 27 yards in a 21-14 victory over the Jaguars. Patterson has 911 total yards and nine touchdowns in 10 games for the Falcons — (93-411, 4.4 avg., four TDs rushing; 41-500, 12.2 avg., 5 TDs receiving). He had 550 total yards in 32 games over two seasons with the Bears.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... ting-bears
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Nagy has always been a gadget guy. Cohen got less effective as he went along, Patterson, etc. because Nagy designs special plays that they only run when they are in the game so defenses can key on them.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I don't think a former head coach is going to have much success.

I believe we discussed this question during our last coaching turnover, but its worth asking again: How many former head coaches have later won a super bowl?
Z Bear
MVP

Bill Bellichek sucked ass in Cleveland and was fired, that kills the argument alone. Bruce Arians was fired from Arizona and won in Tampa is as recent an example as you can get.
wulfy
MVP

I didn't think Arians got fired .... thought he left for health reasons.
Z Bear
MVP

Citing health concerns but is now healthy and coaching again = fired in my book.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:13 pm I didn't think Arians got fired .... thought he left for health reasons.
Yea he stepped down, maybe to avoid firing maybe not, doesn't really matter IMO. The thing with Arians is, going all the way back to his OC days in Pittsburgh where he unleashed Kordell Stewart on the league - the guy has great offenses everywhere. Doesn't matter where he goes or what personnel he has, that guy knows offense. Like Andy Reid, wherever he goes offense follows. This is why I have concerns about Leftwich, Arians can give all the credit to Leftwich as a good leader should, but we don't really know and history says that this is another classic Arians offense in TB right now.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Maybe the Arians tree would be more productive than the Reid tree has been.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:08 pm Maybe the Arians tree would be more productive than the Reid tree has been.
Also maybe trees are a myth. :?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:07 pm
pus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:08 pm Maybe the Arians tree would be more productive than the Reid tree has been.
Also maybe trees are a myth. :?
If a tree falls in a forest does it create Zeus?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I have this recurring nightmare in which the Bears stumble yet again into the last playoff spot and Nagy/Pace are retained. I don't ever root against the team but this is a year in which they just need to keep playing Bears football so Nagy and Pace get the boot.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 pm I have this recurring nightmare in which the Bears stumble yet again into the last playoff spot and Nagy/Pace are retained. I don't ever root against the team but this is a year in which they just need to keep playing Bears football so Nagy and Pace get the boot.
I don't think even falling into a wildcard spot saves him. I think he'd have to win a playoff game, and do it in a way where they actually look like they belong...not just sort of accidentally winning.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:11 am I don't think a former head coach is going to have much success.

I believe we discussed this question during our last coaching turnover, but its worth asking again: How many former head coaches have later won a super bowl?
Pete Carroll didn't do well at his first stop. Been pretty damn successful in Seattle.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 pm
pus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:11 am I don't think a former head coach is going to have much success.

Pete Carroll didn't do well at his first stop. Been pretty damn successful in Seattle.
Ok you're right. So...

Others have mentioned Rivera, Payton, Tomlin. I do like these names if we want head coaching experience.

But I also like Dave Toub and Byron Leftwich.