The "Gardner Minshew" Memorial Thread of Whatever

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Assuming the Jags usher in the Lawrence era here in a couple months, Minshew is likely to be available.

Personally I think you could do infinitely worse than Minshew. He’s got good athleticism, can read a defense fairly well, and isn’t afraid to sling it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Seems to have a little Fitzmagic in him, worth a shot if it's a VERY low cost acquisition.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well, maybe, if it's cheap.

Interestingly, I was poking around and saw he had an impressive 42 Wonderlic*

Fitzmagic had one of the best ever at 48
Tua had a really bad (especially for a QB) 13

* And an impressive mustache, obviously

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I would do it, if only so we could recapture the magic that was the 2019 Jaguars.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:48 am I would do it, if only so we could recapture the magic that was the 2019 Jaguars.
Hey, they went 6-6 under Minshew that year and .500 seems to be where the Bears have set their bar, so...

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't know.
Does he really 'sling it' well? His Y/A is fairly low with a solid completion %, which makes it seem like he's going short.

Also, unfortunately, he's under contract extremely cheaply, so the Jags have absolutely no need to move him, unless you give them enough to make it worth their while. How much would that be?

G08
Hall of Famer

I mean I'd give up one of our comp 6ths for him, I guess.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:48 am I would do it, if only so we could recapture the magic that was the 2019 Jaguars.
:rofl:

Minshew would be one of my top favorite options for "get-able" guys... but I've been thinking I just don't know if I could handle the jokes about the Bears becoming the "Jags North". The Glennon, Foles, Minshew story would likely not die. Ugh.

But... he is actually pretty good. Out of the gate, his stats have been really excellent. I mean... 20 games in, and he's tossed 37 TDs to 11 INTs... what the heck is not to like? It is entirely possible Lawrence won't throw 37 TDs and 11 INTs in his first 2 years. If he does, people will rave. Think about that.

Maybe people are REALLY overlooking Minshew because he's not part of the lucky sperm club. And he's odd. But he's also a cool character an fun to cheer for - a sort of Farve gunslinger guy with a McMahon spirit. I like it.

OK - talked myself into it. Given his real performance on a bad team and his low cost, how about a 2nd rounder this year and a high conditional pick (2-4) next year depending on starts. Steal him like the Packers stole Favre.

Do we think the Jags would take Foles back to mentor Lawrence? Might be a good fit.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am
:rofl:

Minshew would be one of my top favorite options for "get-able" guys... but I've been thinking I just don't know if I could handle the jokes about the Bears becoming the "Jags North". The Glennon, Foles, Minshew story would likely not die. Ugh.

But... he is actually pretty good. Out of the gate, his stats have been really excellent. I mean... 20 games in, and he's tossed 37 TDs to 11 INTs... what the heck is not to like? It is entirely possible Lawrence won't throw 37 TDs and 11 INTs in his first 2 years. If he does, people will rave. Think about that.

Maybe people are REALLY overlooking Minshew because he's not part of the lucky sperm club. And he's odd. But he's also a cool character an fun to cheer for - a sort of Farve gunslinger guy with a McMahon spirit. I like it.

OK - talked myself into it. Given his real performance on a bad team and his low cost, how about a 2nd rounder this year and a high conditional pick (2-4) next year depending on starts. Steal him like the Packers stole Favre.

Do we think the Jags would take Foles back to mentor Lawrence? Might be a good fit.
I think a 2nd is too much. I could see a 3rd or 4th and package Foles in the deal. Be better if they could push the draft pick to 2022.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I'd give them back Foles and a future 3rd. But Foles doesn't fit anything Urban Meyer is known for doing.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah agreed on Meyer. But to get a different (still decent) backup and a good pick, why not?

Minshew's draft status screams that giving a 2nd for him would be crazy. But his actual performance and stats pretty much justify a 2nd (at least IMO they do). Again - if one of these top QBs comes out and does what he did in their first few seasons, they'd get accolades. So... with the preconceptions about who he is based on his draft position, and with the benefit of the Jags deliberately tanking potentially having limited him... it seems like Minshew might be a steal for a 2nd.

I'll bet an NFL GM agrees with me.

Carr is my top realistic choice. I think Minshew is my 2nd favorite option besides trading up for Lance (which I can't help but want).
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't follow the Jags very closely lol...but why did Minshew end up on the bench this year while Glennon played? And why are the Jags seemingly so willing to part with a young QB with apparent upside? Yea, they are drafting Trevor, but they still have a need for a backup QB and Minshew has produced + is very cheap. Doesn't feel like the type of guy most GM's are eager to move on from.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:38 am I don't follow the Jags very closely lol...but why did Minshew end up on the bench this year while Glennon played? And why are the Jags seemingly so willing to part with a young QB with apparent upside? Yea, they are drafting Trevor, but they still have a need for a backup QB and Minshew has produced + is very cheap. Doesn't feel like the type of guy most GM's are eager to move on from.
The Jags were tanking.
Hoog
Player of the Month

If we miss out on Prescott, Watson, and Carr then I'd definitely jump in line for the "Stach". I think the guy is fun to watch, he fits Nagy's offense well, and he could be a place holder for Trey Lance. I would jump up to #8-10 to get Lance for sure. Say, 2021 first and 3rd with 2022 2nd/3rd. I think Lance has a shot at being a very high end QB in the NFL, just not year one. That is where Minshew comes in.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:38 am I don't follow the Jags very closely lol...but why did Minshew end up on the bench this year while Glennon played? And why are the Jags seemingly so willing to part with a young QB with apparent upside? Yea, they are drafting Trevor, but they still have a need for a backup QB and Minshew has produced + is very cheap. Doesn't feel like the type of guy most GM's are eager to move on from.
Like UOK said, the Jags were tanking, Minshew also had a broken thumb and torn ligaments in his throwing hand.

But I do agree that Minshew isn't exactly the type of player a GM would be too eager to move on from.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Just a guy.

Foles/Minshew, you're going to end up with about the same record. Not a starter quality player. No real upside that I can see even though he's young.

Might as well just trot Foles out there if this is just a bridge year.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I don't see him moving the needle much.

A SECOND ROUND PICK!!!! No freaking way.

A SECOND ROUND PICK AND MOVE UP TO 8-10 TO GET LANCE!!!! Smoking crack. We spend all of this years draft plus more to land 2 QBs in a year that Nagy and Pace need to win???? We wouldn't have fixed the OL or the WR room. That's has zero chance of happening in a rational world. But then again, Pace is calling the shots, so who knows.
wab
Mod

I think trading draft capital for a QB absolutely CAN move the needle this season, but it really depends on the QB. But I just don't see the Bears relying on 1st or 2nd round draft pick right now. They need to win 10-12 games in 2021. I don't think Lance or Minshew are guys that get you there.

I think Carr gets you there. Maybe Winston (I know people don't like the guy). Watson absolutely does. Mariota might get you close.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:09 pm I think trading draft capital for a QB absolutely CAN move the needle this season, but it really depends on the QB. But I just don't see the Bears relying on 1st or 2nd round draft pick right now. They need to win 10-12 games in 2021. I don't think Lance or Minshew are guys that get you there.

I think Carr gets you there. Maybe Winston (I know people don't like the guy). Watson absolutely does. Mariota might get you close.
That's fair. I was thinking more about how much Nagy and Pace needed to move the needle to be back. He's not a guy I see them going after as he won't keep them employed here.
UOK
Site Admin

Carr definitely gets you there. Winston is still too much of a wildcard for me (plus I think he'll stay in NO).

Mariota would be interesting, but I think Carr's more likely an acquisition.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Bears acquired Carr here in the next few weeks. Probably for Fuller and a small package of picks going both ways.

As far as Minshew goes, I'd be down. I think he'd be far more interesting than many may consider at a glance. Guy would be a hero in Chicago if he had some success. With the hair and mustache, people would be offering the guy free meals for life.
IE
Hall of Famer

Bear fans sure are critical of a guy that can throw for 37 TDs on 11 INTs in 20 games on bad team, for being fans of a perennially bad team that has actually never in history had a guy who could throw for 37:11 in 20 games.

You'd be lucky if you pick a first rounder who can do that - and that's a fact. Not crack - a fact.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 pm Bear fans sure are critical of a guy that can throw for 37 TDs on 11 INTs in 20 games on bad team, for being fans of a perennially bad team that has actually never in history had a guy who could throw for 37:11 in 20 games.

You'd be lucky if you pick a first rounder who can do that - and that's a fact. Not crack - a fact.
I mean Mitch's 2018 was pretty similar to Minshew's 2019.

Minshew also took 60 sacks and fumbled 18 times in those 20 games. Honest question though, do you think the Bears can make a deep playoff run with Gardner Minshew?
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm
IE wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 pm Bear fans sure are critical of a guy that can throw for 37 TDs on 11 INTs in 20 games on bad team, for being fans of a perennially bad team that has actually never in history had a guy who could throw for 37:11 in 20 games.

Minshew also took 60 sacks and fumbled 18 times in those 20 games. Honest question though, do you think the Bears can make a deep playoff run with Gardner Minshew?
For a short while I also bought into Mitch's "success" in '18. Now I believe field position and that defense were significant catalysts to Mitch's '18 season,, and without some ideal scenarios... he's less ideal. I know Minshew didn't have those benefits or the benefit of an offseason as the starter to really justify those comparisons. And like you said... he was running for his life. So I wince at an implied comparison.

Minshew's median performance really shows he's likely to put up 2 TDs and 0 INTs. He's accurate including on the move, and a real threat when he's airing it out -which is what I like, on top of a strong running/TE game.

I honestly don't know on the playoffs question. I like him better than Mariota for that purpose - yes. Winston is so talented... but the Bears are so unlucky I just don't feel comfortable this is the place for him to turn it around. For that reason I do think he'll stay in NOLA which is very friendly.

This is just all my gut on Minshew. What I've seen from him makes me wonder if maybe he could be another Matt Hasselbeck and have a nice long career and seriously compete at times. Maybe not. But I'm willing to bet a 2nd rounder (an Adam Shaheen? :) ) that Minshew could be good starter or at the very least a top long term backup if the Bears end up needing to pick a QB in the next few years. Even as a backup if he puts any more success on tape he's likely to command even more draft capital if someone wanted to trade with the Bears in the future. So I see very little downside with the guy. It's the same philosophy I had with Hurts last year.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm in the same boat as IE on 2018. Mitch had the benefit of a great team with an amazing defense that gave them short fields and leads to work with. Minshew had the 6-10 Jags. Same thing for 2020 - Mitch had a mediocre team and got to play in all the easy games, Minshew had some hand trouble and played on a horrific team.

Sacks and fumbles seem a little high. But last 2 years, Mitch had (24 games vs 20) 56 and 11. So it doesn't seem that awful to me.

Minshew has the excuses of a much worse supporting cast and less experience, so more room for optimism.
I could tolerate a R3 for him to find out (esp bc he's so cheap).
(Although I'm not necessarily saying I prefer that over drafting. Just saying if Pace is set on a vet, that's about my threshhold.)

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Honestly a lot of things on the table but a good trade you take it here. I think most of the "options" are not realistic for the bears. I doubt this is realistic. However why not try it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Jacoby Brissett, I am on that wagon. Completion % not where I would like it to be, 59.5% but he has a TD to INT of 31 to 13. He is 28 and would come cheap I would imagine. He could be a bridge for a guy drafted in 22 or 23.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The really unusual thing about Minshew is that he's still on his rookie contract with 2 years left, which is really unusual for an available guy with productive starting experience. As much as we don't want to hear it, that drives his price UP. They might very well get a R2 pick for him. For a cap strapped team like the Bears, he'd be a seemingly attractive financial option as the only future assets you're giving up is that cheap R2 pick going forward. As someone else said, You could also possibly get a late rounder back in the deal for more cap friendly help, too.

I'm just not sure how well he works as a WIN NOW option.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I mean is he a available though?
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:29 pm I mean is he a available though?
Not for the cheap. I imagine he's going to bring them at least a 2nd rounder. And probably a QB prospect.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

bear's fans seem pretty determined to trade away draft picks for options that arent going to get us any results better than if we start foles all year.