Nagy: Fields is #1 starting QB going forward

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:42 am I’m not shitting on JT at all tho, I like his videos. I’m just saying everyone is guilty of confirmation bias. And I’m absolutely certain that had Fields thrown that pick in the end zone like Stafford did, that everyone would point to the fact that he’s a rookie as to why that happened. It was a terrible play. That happens to both rookies and vets. You have to take things “on the whole “ and you hope that Fields steadily improves each and every year he plays. The frequency of terrible plays should decrease over time, etc. But pointing out singular instances and drawing broad conclusions is just foolish stuff. A lot of people did that after the Cleveland game and I suspect are still out lurking to shit on Fields again if he has a bad game this week, or next, or whenever. Primarily so they can keep whatever narrative they have in their head - confirmation bias.
It is confirmation bias.

People like to shit on rookie QBs.

Now even The GOAT probably has bad throws, poor footwork or doesn’t see an open guy from time to time.

Anybody have the brass to spend 30 minutes ripping The GOAT?

And O’Sullivan can’t take a sample size of like 10 plays, 8 of which has Fields running for his life, and extrapolate anything.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea makes sense, like Steve Young said you need live reps to learn how to play at this level, there’s no substitute for live game action. The rate this kid is learning is impressive, I’m a strong believer that those who can handle failure and learn from it instead of letting beat them mentally are the ones most likely to succeed at whatever they are doing. I think we have found our pot of gold after 100 years of chasing rainbows. He is the one!
Artbest
Player of the Month

Fields has a very high ceiling - let’s hope he gets there. I wish he had the coaches, scheme and supporting cast that Trey Lance has - I fully expect the 49er rookie to put up better numbers than Justin - he’ll be put in better positions, Shanahan makes better use of his legs, they have a more effective all around run game, better overall pass catchers and players who can generate RAC - something the bears sorely lack
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Artbest wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:48 am Fields has a very high ceiling - let’s hope he gets there. I wish he had the coaches, scheme and supporting cast that Trey Lance has - I fully expect the 49er rookie to put up better numbers than Justin - he’ll be put in better positions, Shanahan makes better use of his legs, they have a more effective all around run game, better overall pass catchers and players who can generate RAC - something the bears sorely lack
I think Lance, even with better talent around him, is going to have a lot more growing pains than fields just based on his inexperience and past competition level.

I fully expect the niners to be a very run heavy offense for the time being, which is smart.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here is the link for Fields' pro day. One thing that I noticed right away, that I don't think I really appreciated before, was Justin's build. He has an insane base to his body. A lot of more athletic QB's have thinner or maybe not quite as stout legs. Fields has tree trunks man. Solid from the ankles to the hips. To me that screams power and durability. Watch some of these throws. I still can't believe he fell to us at 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqqKAdVQU8&t=336s
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:17 pm Here is the link for Fields' pro day. One thing that I noticed right away, that I don't think I really appreciated before, was Justin's build. He has an insane base to his body. A lot of more athletic QB's have thinner or maybe not quite as stout legs. Fields has tree trunks man. Solid from the ankles to the hips. To me that screams power and durability. Watch some of these throws. I still can't believe he fell to us at 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqqKAdVQU8&t=336s
Watching the video.

Listen to the commentary in there.

Some snippets....

What if you're Atlanta at 4?
San Fran at 2?
There's no way he'll be there at 12.

Then you see Urban Meyer and Ryan Day talking while they watch him work out. Urban Meyer is a fucking idiot for not taking him at #1. He was given the answer to the test so to speak and didn't get it right.

Those deep throws. Effortless. He's not even trying with his arm. If he just hauled off for the hell of it I wonder how far he could throw?

Damn near every single throw going to where the receiver can catch it WITHOUT the defender making a play and the defender isn't even on the field. Watch the throw at about the 18:50 mark. Again at 19:20. 24:12. Oh but we need to stare at his feet to validate him as a quarterback. Whatever.

It was a Draft Day Miracle that Soldier Fields was there for us at 11. A Miracle.

Now regarding his lower body power. I normally don't get into the minutiae of QB technicalities, but that's why his footwork etc. doesn't need to be perfect. He has such lower body strength from his natural build that this compensates sometimes for poor technique.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Aaron Rodgers has been throwing off his back foot for his entire career, successfully. It's the NFL, if you can't make off balance throws in imperfect situations, you typically can't play. Tom Brady is an exception, not a rule. He looks like he should be pretty durable with his build. He really shouldn't pack on more muscle, it'll limit his throwing motion and speed. It's all about keeping this Ferrari humming for the next 15 years - in this way, please DO copy Tom Brady!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:32 pm Aaron Rodgers has been throwing off his back foot for his entire career, successfully. It's the NFL, if you can't make off balance throws in imperfect situations, you typically can't play. Tom Brady is an exception, not a rule. He looks like he should be pretty durable with his build. He really shouldn't pack on more muscle, it'll limit his throwing motion and speed. It's all about keeping this Ferrari humming for the next 15 years - in this way, please DO copy Tom Brady!
Man - Mitch beat the Lions too - more than once even! That makes him what kind of Car?

Tom Brady is about the worst comp possible for Justin Fields - pure foolishness
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am
dplank wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:32 pm Aaron Rodgers has been throwing off his back foot for his entire career, successfully. It's the NFL, if you can't make off balance throws in imperfect situations, you typically can't play. Tom Brady is an exception, not a rule. He looks like he should be pretty durable with his build. He really shouldn't pack on more muscle, it'll limit his throwing motion and speed. It's all about keeping this Ferrari humming for the next 15 years - in this way, please DO copy Tom Brady!
Man - Mitch beat the Lions too - more than once even! That makes him what kind of Car?

How many times have you bought colloidal silver supplements online?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:32 am @dplank

Right.

JT O’Sullivan is a washed up hack who appeared in like 17 games. He never got a big contract most likely and now he needs money.

Well how does he get that money?

He goes on YouTube and talks like a teenage girl about quarterbacks.

He’s doing it to make a dollar and the more sensational and whoring you are the more you make.

Soon it’ll be OMG JUSTIN FIELDS’ MORNING LOAF WASNT SAUSAGE SHAPED! HES NOT EATING ENOUGH FIBER!

The next time you feel like watching one of his nitpicking videos play a video game or do a workout instead.

I tend to agree about Punditry generally (on the Hot Take factor - the money thing here is essentially Made up). BUT the concept that a guy who was never a Good Pro not knowing the game

Do you know how many Hall of Fame coaches you just eliminated not knowing the game?

In all Sports?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 am
RichH55 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am

How many times have you bought colloidal silver supplements online?
Is that your current Covid cure du jour?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rich I said he WASNT Tom Brady as a player but wish that he would emulate Brady’s amazing training regimen for longevity. Would you please stop trolling every fucking thread, why??? Why do you behave this way?

TMP if you don’t quote him I don’t see him. Hint. Block feature doesn’t hide quotes.
wab
Mod

Y’all need to get along.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Wab I’m ignoring but getting constantly harassed, thread after thread he pokes and I usually just look the other way. I’m not starting anything and only occasionally respond at all. I’m doing my part man, just read the threads. I never poke him first, minding my own business, but he’s constantly poking at me trying to get a response. I don’t know why. I’ve asked repeatedly for it to stop.

I’ll ask again. Rich we don’t get along, for the benefit of the board pls just leave me alone and I will do the same. Thanks!!
Artbest
Player of the Month

Fields has a LONG way to go, and the bear offense - talent and coaching - is far less than ideal for a rookies development - but he seems to have all the intangibles one wants at QB - he’s as tough as anyone and has a knack for making clutch plays.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:57 am Fields has a LONG way to go, and the bear offense - talent and coaching - is far less than ideal for a rookies development - but he seems to have all the intangibles one wants at QB - he’s as tough as anyone and has a knack for making clutch plays.
This is going to be an up and down growth trajectory. He'll have good weeks and bad weeks. We beat the Raiders, but I think the film will show that he left a lot out on the field. He got rocked early, and that may have hampered his willingness to let the ball fly. He'll learn that open in the NFL is a much smaller window than it was at OSU. That pass to Robinson, and the one to Horstead in the EZ are great examples of him learning to trust his receivers to make a play on the ball.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I agree - I'm guessing, given that Gus Bradley is the Raiders DC, that they gave Fields a heavy dose of zone coverage - there were likely receivers open he didn't see. I also got the sense, in the second half, that the Bears were trying to slow the game down and run out the clock.

I don't see this working against Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers. He won't get flustered ala David Carr. The Packers aren't likely to drop passes on what would have been huge plays against busted coverages. What little chance the Bears truly have to win rests with the run game and with Fields actually winning the game rather than not losing the game.

Still, Fields' toughness is off the charts and he shown a capacity to come up big when the team needs him.

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:15 am
Artbest wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:57 am Fields has a LONG way to go, and the bear offense - talent and coaching - is far less than ideal for a rookies development - but he seems to have all the intangibles one wants at QB - he’s as tough as anyone and has a knack for making clutch plays.
This is going to be an up and down growth trajectory. He'll have good weeks and bad weeks. We beat the Raiders, but I think the film will show that he left a lot out on the field. He got rocked early, and that may have hampered his willingness to let the ball fly. He'll learn that open in the NFL is a much smaller window than it was at OSU. That pass to Robinson, and the one to Horstead in the EZ are great examples of him learning to trust his receivers to make a play on the ball.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:19 pm Wab I’m ignoring but getting constantly harassed, thread after thread he pokes and I usually just look the other way. I’m not starting anything and only occasionally respond at all. I’m doing my part man, just read the threads. I never poke him first, minding my own business, but he’s constantly poking at me trying to get a response. I don’t know why. I’ve asked repeatedly for it to stop.

I’ll ask again. Rich we don’t get along, for the benefit of the board pls just leave me alone and I will do the same. Thanks!!
You could post better too - it's allowed

Any Tom Brady comp doesn't really make any sense as to Fields - like any of them - And I'm not sure anyone should train like Tom Brady (I read TB12 or whatever its called - Im not sure its a program )

Including your hobbyhorse that you should play right away - But Brady didn't - He threw 3 Passes as a Rookie.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:32 pm Rich I said he WASNT Tom Brady as a player but wish that he would emulate Brady’s amazing training regimen for longevity. Would you please stop trolling every fucking thread, why??? Why do you behave this way?

TMP if you don’t quote him I don’t see him. Hint. Block feature doesn’t hide quotes.
For longevity - its still not a Tom Brady comp - I would be looking toward athletic QB who have the instinct not to take big shots (Wilson and Rodgers come to mind in that regard)

Unfortunately I was seeing some Steve McNair there - Sure LOTS of toughness but only because he took a big shot to the Ribs that you probably just not have him take
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I didn't really see much in the way of Clutch plays this week IMHO

Toughness? Yes. Absolutely.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I thought the pass to Mooney to get the 1st down late in the game was a big time play when we needed it.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:32 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I thought the pass to Mooney to get the 1st down late in the game was a big time play when we needed it.
That pass to Mooney was pretty clutch. I feel like he ran for a big 1st on 3rd and long too...
RichH55
Hall of Famer

This is also certainly just a question of how one defines clutch

Though seemingly maybe Dalton was our most clutch QB yesterday based on this definition?

I think up late in the game - that's not really a clutch play (as described) - Good? Yes. Clutch? Not in my book - your book might have a different definition though - so fair enough
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:50 pm This is also certainly just a question of how one defines clutch

Though seemingly maybe Dalton was our most clutch QB yesterday based on this definition?

I think up late in the game - that's not really a clutch play (as described) - Good? Yes. Clutch? Not in my book - your book might have a different definition though - so fair enough
Fair. I'd just say that for where he is in his development and with his lack of experience as a starting NFL QB, those were clutch plays. Those aren't clutch plays for a 3 year starter, but for Fields yesterday...I'd say they were. But yeah, the definition means different things to different people based on the QB.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Obviously it's matter of opinion, but considering where the momentum was swinging with the score 14-9, the down and distance and the defense the Raiders were lined up in, it was, by any reasonable definition, a clutch play.

RichH55 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:50 pm This is also certainly just a question of how one defines clutch

Artbest
Player of the Month

In Chicago, 3rd or 4th year QB's generally haven't converted that third down. In similar circumstances in 2020, with Bill Lazor calling plays, against an inferior opponent, Mitch fumbled the ball away, leading to an unlikely loss at home to Detroit.

Is it "clutch" compared with elite QB's? No - but that's not the standard one measures a rookie QB.

wab wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Fair. I'd just say that for where he is in his development and with his lack of experience as a starting NFL QB, those were clutch plays. Those aren't clutch plays for a 3 year starter, but for Fields yesterday...I'd say they were. But yeah, the definition means different things to different people based on the QB.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Fields isn't being asked to do much. In these last two wins, he's been asked to throw 17 and 20 times. Meanwhile, we've rushed the ball 39 and 37 times. The fact that we've been ahead and these games doesn't remove his potential for making clutch plays unless you narrowly define a clutch play as an end of game, coming from behind to win sort of thing. In which case it's not that he hasn't had any so much as he hasn't had a chance to have any because he's had us ahead in the games - certainly not something to ding him on.

We've kept running the ball because it's working, kudos to Lazor and Nagy for sticking with it and building an identity while Fields gets more experience and can be given more and more chances in the passing game as the season goes on. Our OL is struggling mightily in pass pro, this is smart football that Lazor is running. IMO he had several clutch plays over the last two weeks leading us to victories. Plays that, had he not made them, may have led to losses. In the Detroit game, his late scramble for a 1st absolutely sealed that win when the Lions were making a comeback - had he not made that play we certainly may have lost that game. And I agree with wab on the couple clutch plays yesterday as well.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Fair enough - makes sense to me
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:36 pm Our OL is struggling mightily in pass pro,

I wonder how much of this is chicken-egg

The man likes to hold the ball