Bears Interior OL / Running Game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:13 am
Incidentally, from the same article:
Credit where it’s due: The Bears looked lost at left tackle when they cut Charles Leno and had six players line up with the first team in the search for his replacement — including rookies Teven Jenkins and Larry Borom. Picking up 39-year-old Jason Peters looked like a desperate move — and perhaps it was. But it’s working out so far. Peters is ranked fourth among tackles by Pro Football Focus in overall effectiveness.

Peters’ performance against the Packers was “probably his best technical game,” offensive line coach Juan Castillo said. “In pass protection … we had talked about being able to play square and be consistent and this probably was his best game [with] those techniques. He’s getting a little bit [more] in shape every game, so he’s getting to that point we’d like to have him at.”
The very fact that Peters can step on to the field and move the way he does at 39 years old is a minor miracle. My respect for him is growing, and so is the decision to go out and use him as a stop gap. Just amazing.
IE
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:46 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:13 am
Incidentally, from the same article:

The very fact that Peters can step on to the field and move the way he does at 39 years old is a minor miracle. My respect for him is growing, and so is the decision to go out and use him as a stop gap. Just amazing.
Agreed on Peters. He kind of looks like a Dad out there playing with kids... maybe not quite as athletic but bigger and stronger and smarter so he's still getting it done.

I personally haven't see the Oline as being "as" bad as some of the concerns I'm hearing. All Olines give up some pressure and give up a few sacks. Overall I think they've been protecting JF1 adequately. A few games he wasn't stepping up when he should. They let him down a few times every game. They'll get better. It is hard to be overall negative on the Oline when they're running the ball to the tune of 4.5 ypc with 3 different backs.

I really do think they'll get better at pass pro and also at running. Monty will be back. Williams just started looking like his old self again. And what we've seen from Herbert looks like his floor. This is all really good. Last time the Bears had such a strong and deep running game they went to the Superbowl (TJ and Benson). And that was with a great D and an inexperienced QB with a big arm. :)
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears did rush for a respectable amount of yards against the Pack with Herbert and Fields. Herbert had only 19 carries. Nall and Pierce weren't used at all. The Bucs will present a big challenge, they are very stout against the run game.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Xee
Site Admin

I have to say, I was completely wrong on Peters. I know he's not perfect but after watching some Eagles fans breakdown horrendous playing on his part on Youtube I didn't think he would bring anything positive to this team. Glad that I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am I have to say, I was completely wrong on Peters. I know he's not perfect but after watching some Eagles fans breakdown horrendous playing on his part on Youtube I didn't think he would bring anything positive to this team. Glad that I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha
He's been a monster in the run game.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am I have to say, I was completely wrong on Peters. I know he's not perfect but after watching some Eagles fans breakdown horrendous playing on his part on Youtube I didn't think he would bring anything positive to this team. Glad that I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha
Nah, the first 3 games, Peters WAS bad. He's sort of hitting his stride now and seems to be getting into "football shape".
G08
Hall of Famer

PFF Grades... take it for what it's worth:

Peters - 79.6
Whitehair - 67.3
Mustipher - 44.7
Daniels - 61.4
Ifedi - 60.2 // Wilkinson - 65.4
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 am
Nah, the first 3 games, Peters WAS bad. He's sort of hitting his stride now and seems to be getting into "football shape".
This.

We'll see if his body can hold up at 39. (I know mine wouldn't have.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am PFF Grades... take it for what it's worth:

Mustipher - 44.7
Yeesh! @wab It's not only the eye test that he's failing.
IE
Hall of Famer

Peters - 79.6
Whitehair - 67.3
Mustipher - 44.7
Daniels - 61.4
This is about exactly what my eyes have been telling me overall (not focusing on individual plays). Physically Mustipher is the weak link and needs to get better. He'll have better parts of the season than playing against the likes of Donald or Kenny Clark (who is & has been really good for years - and to not mention his name as if he's a nobody is pretty disingenuous). The "pass" I'm giving Mustipher right now is based on the fact that the Center is the leader of the Oline and the Bear running game performance since he has been starting Center is undeniable. It can't be a coincidence. Orchestrating the blocking and individual blocking are two different things. So as long as the Center is presiding over a strong running game... I don't mind if his grade is in the 50s or whatever.

That said they had better move that pocket this week, or Vea (lol who is only listed as "345"... he's gotta be pushing 400) and Suh are going to feast. This might be the biggest interior DLine challenge they have all season. I don't know about trying a screen game against those LBs... I can see a lot of lost yardage plays. But with that Buc secondary if the Bear WRs can go off maybe it can be a game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Peters - 79.6
Whitehair - 67.3
Mustipher - 44.7
Daniels - 61.4
This is about exactly what my eyes have been telling me overall (not focusing on individual plays). Physically Mustipher is the weak link and needs to get better. He'll have better parts of the season than playing against the likes of Donald or Kenny Clark (who is & has been really good for years - and to not mention his name as if he's a nobody is pretty disingenuous). The "pass" I'm giving Mustipher right now is based on the fact that the Center is the leader of the Oline and the Bear running game performance since he has been starting Center is undeniable. It can't be a coincidence. Orchestrating the blocking and individual blocking are two different things. So as long as the Center is presiding over a strong running game... I don't mind if his grade is in the 50s or whatever.

That said they had better move that pocket this week, or Vea (lol who is only listed as "345"... he's gotta be pushing 400) and Suh are going to feast. This might be the biggest interior DLine challenge they have all season. I don't know about trying a screen game against those LBs... I can see a lot of lost yardage plays. But with that Buc secondary if the Bear WRs can go off maybe it can be a game.
Unfortunately I don't have any faith that Nagy is going to approve a game plan that would exploit any of TB's weaknesses.
dplank
Hall of Famer

You have to think Bars can outperform Mustipher. I hate shuffling guys around on the line as cohesiveness is so damn important, but I would be in favor of moving Daniels back to C and plugging Bars in at RG.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:49 pm You have to think Bars can outperform Mustipher. I hate shuffling guys around on the line as cohesiveness is so damn important, but I would be in favor of moving Daniels back to C and plugging Bars in at RG.
My prediction if they replace Mustipher with a guy who isn't a true Center is the run game sputters because the Oline isn't playing as aware. And then without running success, here they come.

I guess I'm saying that although Mustipher's physical stuff is a weakness of the Oline his leadership is a strength that will be conspicuously missing. I know I keep saying this but look at the run game effectiveness in games he's started going back to last year. The only "bad" one was the NO playoff game and I don't even know if they even tried to run... instead it was a Nagy dink fest IIRC. It can't be a coincidence that the run game is so much better when he's in there.

I guess no harm in trying it out (trying someone else out). I'd love to be wrong and have the best line out there possible. I've just been sort of in Mustipher's camp because I'm seeing causation. Maybe it is only correllation.