Game Balls and Horns - Wk 6 vs Packers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

Dang it if they didn't stomp on our hearts again. It felt a little bit like the SB game, when the Bears jumped out to an early lead but eventually squandered the game away to a vet QB. Did they leave a W on the field, or are we expecting too much of Fields? Bears should have won the battle in the trenches, but could not seem to take advantage of a young Puker OL as well as pounding the ball against an average Puker DL. Hard to believe that the Puker D was ranked 6th while the Bears were 8th before the game. The bend-don't-break D can rack up the yards.

GAMEBALLS
- Herbert: first start for the rookie and almost had 100 yards. He'll still need to work on his pass catching.

- Smith: Roquan continues to cement the D, not getting much help from the safeties or the other ILB.

- Kmet: had the game that they had envisioned when he was drafted last year. Unfortunately no Jesper today.

HORNS
- Fields: growing pains for the rookie, 2nd and 3rd quarters were brutal. He does give you more of a quick strike capability so that the Bears don't have to be perfect to win, but too many mistakes today.

- Edwards: yeah, Erin was holding his facemask but the taunting penalty seemed to be a turning point in the game. Wish he had just smacked his hand away.

- Gipson: this safety does not make me feel safe. Bush, DHC, somebody else. See if Pace can find someone in the offseason.

Round 2 of the Bay series next week, so out of the frying pan and into the fire facing another HOF QB. If Fields keeps progressing they should be near .500 at the break.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

Game balls:
Herbert and Kmet played really well.
Wilkinson had a good game I thought.
Mooney was OK
Roquan was everywhere
Mack and Quinn

Horns:
JF1 had too many rookie moments
Eddie Jackson still can’t tackle
Bilal Nichols has been invisible
The refs had their heads allllllll the way up their asses.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I thought Kmet looked better this week for what its worth
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Game balls

Kmet - finally seemed to have some plays designed for him to get the ball
Herbert - he has to become a better receiver
Quinn - continues to ball out this year.

Horns

I can honestly say I hate watching Eddie Jackson play. He is a puss. The one play it seemed as if he was pulling the GB RB 10 yds further down field. He cannot tackle for shit.

Fields had growing pains.
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:12 pm I thought Kmet looked better this week for what its worth
Yeah, it was nice seeing him involved.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:18 pm

Fields had growing pains.
This is ummmm putting it too mildly
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:12 pm I thought Kmet looked better this week for what its worth
Yeah, it was nice seeing him involved.
Agreed -Maybe his ceiling is better Brent Celek?
Artbest
Player of the Month

Game ball:
Mack
Quinn
Herbert
Kmet

Horns
Fields
Interior defensive line
Jackson & Gipson
Whitehair
wab
Mod

Mustipher went back to not being very good again.
spudbear
MVP

One of the supposed strengths of the Bears, the interior OL, all looked poorly yesterday. Mustipher getting pushed around, Whitehair pwned on a few plays including whiffing on a sack, and Daniels making some dumb penalties as well as being slow off the line. Makes you wonder how much better JF1 could have been with a half-decent pocket. With so many OL injured the Bears don't have the ability to make many if any moves.

I have a hunch Vita Vae will be rubbing his hands together with a big smile on his face when they go through reviewing the tape in preparation for the game Sunday.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The games where you get blown out are easier to take than these. You're resigned to your fate early in the game, and there is no sense of hope. This was a winnable game right up until the 4th quarter. So frustrating. The brightest spot was Herbert. He is a home run in a zone run scheme. That dude is money.

Game balls:
Herbert
Quinn
Kmet

Horns:
Interior OL
Fields
Secondary (again)
IE
Hall of Famer

Balls:
- JF1's arm
- JF1's legs
- JF1's demeanor and leadership
- Herbert
- Kmet
- Most of the defense

Horns:
- If Edwards gets another stupid penalty he needs to be cut on the spot. Don't tell me Anthony Miller was cut worthy and he isn't. Him getting suckered by AAron changed the game.
- Refs ... sheesh. The non-free play was horrible. One big thing I learned is if the D sees a yellow flag in the backfield they can pretty much unload and murder the QB without penalty.
- Byrd is shit
- Safties
- Not sure what Lazor was thinking sometimes. I'm sure some of it was JF1's decision making/learning. But I thought the offense looked a bit disjointed like we see with Nagy. So... disjointed but "braver"?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

Game balls:
- that drive to score a touchdown after the phantom holding call robbed them of it
- the defense in the first half
- Fields' brain for not being concussed on that cheap shot

Horns:
- officiating; all should be exiled from the NFL
- Aaron Rodgers for being a cunt
- Eddie Jackson and the defense for playing like shit in the second half
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:26 pm Mustipher went back to not being very good again.
So at what point do you throw in the towel and try something else? Yes he is good at zone run blocking, but if that's all he can do you're never going to have an effective passing game. Fields can't learn to play QB if the middle of the pocket keeps collapsing. Whitehair can't hike the ball to save his life. Daniels has proven to be a better G than a C. Do you try Bars at C? Try Daniels there again and put Bars at G?
wab
Mod

spudbear wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 am One of the supposed strengths of the Bears, the interior OL, all looked poorly yesterday. Mustipher getting pushed around, Whitehair pwned on a few plays including whiffing on a sack, and Daniels making some dumb penalties as well as being slow off the line. Makes you wonder how much better JF1 could have been with a half-decent pocket. With so many OL injured the Bears don't have the ability to make many if any moves.

I have a hunch Vita Vae will be rubbing his hands together with a big smile on his face when they go through reviewing the tape in preparation for the game Sunday.
They made a few mental errors, Whitehair whiffed on a block, and Mustipher got bullied a little bit....but that will happen. Even still, JF1 had a pocket to throw from.

They also helped a rookie 6th round RB run for 97 yards on 19 carries. Dude is averaging 5 yards a carry over the last two games. He's not doing that on his own.

Is the Bears OL great? No. But it's performing good enough to win games.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 am
spudbear wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 am One of the supposed strengths of the Bears, the interior OL, all looked poorly yesterday. Mustipher getting pushed around, Whitehair pwned on a few plays including whiffing on a sack, and Daniels making some dumb penalties as well as being slow off the line. Makes you wonder how much better JF1 could have been with a half-decent pocket. With so many OL injured the Bears don't have the ability to make many if any moves.

They made a few mental errors, Whitehair whiffed on a block, and Mustipher got bullied a little bit....but that will happen. Even still, JF1 had a pocket to throw from.

They also helped a rookie 6th round RB run for 97 yards on 19 carries. Dude is averaging 5 yards a carry over the last two games. He's not doing that on his own.

Is the Bears OL great? No. But it's performing good enough to win games.
This. The other guys get paid to beat their man too.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
spudbear
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:16 am
wab wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:26 pm Mustipher went back to not being very good again.
So at what point do you throw in the towel and try something else? Yes he is good at zone run blocking, but if that's all he can do you're never going to have an effective passing game. Fields can't learn to play QB if the middle of the pocket keeps collapsing. Whitehair can't hike the ball to save his life. Daniels has proven to be a better G than a C. Do you try Bars at C? Try Daniels there again and put Bars at G?
This may sound crazy, but Dieter was practicing at Center during TC where he was listed on the depth chart. The young man graduated from Yale so should be smart enough to call out the blocking assignments. I suppose it's up to the coaches on how long they want to stay with Mustipher, if he still has some growing pains like Fields.

I reckon I'll have to rewatch the game to focus on the interior OL. I don't recall that many good pockets or the fact that GB usually only rushed 4 and did not blitz much. Herbert got a good bit of yards eluding tackles or switching direction, rather than strolling through big holes opened by the OL. I do like how he quickly gets through a crease yet can change direction when needed.

George Halas
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Double Horn winner :

is Edwards really as dumb as he seems? I understand some penalties, like a DB tackling a WR rather than give up an easy TD ... but the penalties Edwards gets called for are simply not smart plays ... he gets baited by an opponent and he responds with his head firmly in his ass ... he helped extend a Packer drive with that bullshit taunting against Rodgers

at this point, if he can't figure out how to play aggressive without being a dumbass then I would prefer he go be someone else's problem
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
GSH
MVP

+
Jakeem Grant looks like a legit threat on kick returns, not seeing him getting enough credit
Robert Quinn is back
Goodwin showed up when called upon

-
Edwards needs to be cut and if the charges he's facing on domestic violence are warranted, cut him immediately
Arob simply does not give a fuck and isnt trying to hide it
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Game balls:

Front 7
Herbert
Kmet

Horns:
Both safeties. Gipson sucks at tackling but doesn’t lack in effort and Ejax is a flat out pussy when it comes to both.
Refs - bad spots, ridiculous holding calls, can’t see the QB call a timeout.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'd like to give one big ass old horn to Aaron Rodger for his comments. True or not, it still shows how absolutely classless the guy is. You know, nobody owned the Bears like Vince Lombardi did, yet Lombardi did nothing but treat the Bears and Papa Bear with respect. Hell, Papa Bear was the only guy, Lombardi called coached. Vince Lombardi was one class act.

Instead, Rodgers simply showed how absolutely boorish he can be and why everybody, including Packer fans and his own family, hates him. And in this era of "CRT" and "White Privilege," I can't think that having a wealthy white narcissist going around claiming "I own you! I've always fucking owned you" will end well. With that in mind, I'd like to leave him with this meme:

I can only hope that the Bears, our defense particularly, remembers this for our game up in Green Bay later this season. Maybe we can end his career early, the way they did Brett Favre.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 pm I'd like to give one big ass old horn to Aaron Rodger for his comments. True or not, it still shows how absolutely classless the guy is. You know, nobody owned the Bears like Vince Lombardi did, yet Lombardi did nothing but treat the Bears and Papa Bear with respect. Hell, Papa Bear was the only guy, Lombardi called coached. Vince Lombardi was one class act.

Instead, Rodgers simply showed how absolutely boorish he can be and why everybody, including Packer fans and his own family, hates him. And in this era of "CRT" and "White Privilege," I can think that having a wealthy white narcissist going around claiming "I own you! I've always fucking owned you" will end well. With that in mind, I'd like to leave him with this meme:

I can only hope that the Bears, our defense particularly, remembers this for our game up in Green Bay later this season. Maybe we can end his career early, the way they did Brett Favre.
Terrible post.

Call the truth the truth - He does own us - If a Bears QB dominated the Packers for a Decade - then some GB hottie (Duece/Duece and a Half) flicked him off after Scoring a TD and he said "I Fucking Own You"

Statute outside awful Arlington Heights is completed in
A) two weeks
B) three weeks?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 am Balls:
- JF1's arm
- JF1's legs
- JF1's demeanor and leadership

Not pictured JF1's reads and performance

But great gams on that guy!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:16 am Daniels has proven to be a better G than a C....Try Daniels there again and put Bars at G?
Yes.

Daniels was the top-rated center coming out of college but was really young. He struggled when they moved him there from guard in his second year, but he's more experienced now and should be given another shot.

Lazor clearly likes Bars, given the amount of use he's getting in those jumbo packages. He was the Bears best lineman in preseason and was particularly good in pass protection. He was projected to be drafted in the mid-rounds prior to injury. Quite simply he's a much better lineman than Mustipher.

The supposed upside of Mustipher was that he was good at making the right calls, but there seem to be occasions when he's not even doing that and he's struggling week after week to anchor. There was a reason he went undrafted. He looks like a backup at best.

Game Balls:

Herbert - Excellent first start. He should have had a 100 yard game and a second touchdown but was robbed by the officials. (That one wasn't on Mustipher.)

Quinn - What a turnaround from last year. It wasn't just the sack; he was firing upfield, disrupting plays and had a second TFL too.

Horns:

The officials - Multiple awful calls and spots. It's performances like this that fuel conspiracy theories. Apparently you're allowed to grab an opponent's facemask if your name's Aaron Rogers, heck they'll even give you another 15 yards! If you're a Packer you're also allowed to spear a sliding QB with a helmet-to-helmet hit without getting ejected as long as an official can find an offsetting penalty to call against the offense.

The safeties - Simply embarrassing tackling. Jackson needs to stop trying to force fumbles when opponents have already bulldozed their way into the secondary and just concentrate on bringing them down instead of being carried another 10 yards. Gipson's angles and weight distribution were awful and he just kept falling at players' feet.

Mustipher - See above. He just isn't good enough.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Don’t forget not calling a blatant off sides resulting in an INT, and a phantom hold on Mustipher to call back a TD. The fact we overcame that last one doesn’t change that the refs still cheated there. It’s quite blatant IMO, and I really want to know what the McCaskeys are doing about it. This is a league issue IMO.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:28 pm
Horns:

The officials - Multiple awful calls and spots. It's performances like this that fuel conspiracy theories. Apparently you're allowed to grab an opponent's facemask if your name's Aaron Rogers, heck they'll even give you another 15 yards! If you're a Packer you're also allowed to spear a sliding QB with a helmet-to-helmet hit without getting ejected as long as an official can find an offsetting penalty to call against the offense.
Totally forgot to give a horn to the officials. I've seen lopsided Bears v. Packers games, where the officials were stroking Rogers and the Pack for 60 min. But that was one of the worst I've ever watched. The non-call on the offsides needs to come with a fine or penalty for the officiating crew. You can't do that in today's NFL. It strikes at the integrity of the game.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I generally agree with the positives expressed for Fields. But when you make a series of mistakes at crucial times as he did, I'm not sure I'd give him a game ball.

I'm mildly surprised not to see any horns for Allen Robinson giving up on the interception play. And I love Allen Robinson.

I understand the people being upset with Rodgers. But he's allowed to state facts during a celebration, even if it wasn't the nicest move. Are you also upset with the fans who flipped him the double bird that started it? The way to shut him up is to beat his ass.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

The Refs were so biased in this game it makes me question their integrity. Herbert is looking like 1 more Pace mid round gem.
Most annoying to me was that after watching it a 2nd time yesterday, it was clear in the 1st half Lazor was calling some series, then Nagy took some. In the 2nd half, when the offense fell apart, Nagy was in control again...on the sideline with his laminated play sheet covering his mouth. He is just terrible as a play caller. This craziness with him putting Byrd in on running plays is just stupid. he did it 3x last week against the Raiders as well. Byrd is a liability on running downs, he just isn't a blocker. He showed up on the field on running plays a few times this week also, and when Nagy is calling. I do so hope he gets fired after this season, he is what holds the offense back; his blocking schemes are bizarre (last two weeks having LT pass inside trying to block across his body?), he calls plays because he thinks this will trick them (Byrd on running plays) with his arena league mentality, always calling curls, lack of situational football, the whole thing. We might have been real contenders the past 3 years without him at the helm. Personally, I want us to pursue Brian Daboll or Greg Roman. Either will create a scheme that will fit Field's strengths much better than the Nag.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'd really like to hear some suggestions about SOLUTIONS for this ref problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I get it doesn't matter, but just curious how we could tackle this problem. It's been happening to us vs the Pack for so long now, I just have a hard time believing that they are just making innocent mistakes, this regularly, in favor of the same team, for this long.

If our season is over when we play the Packers later this season, how might we make a statement to the league about this? Looking at it from the McCaskey's perspective, who can actually do something about it - what suggestions would you have for them? I want the mcCaskey's to DO SOMETHING about it - and just saying "beat them" isn't an answer - I want games called FAIRLY regardless of the outcome.

My first thought is don't' show up for the next game. That's never happened before and we'd get so roasted and tagged as being quitters, etc by the talking heads - I get all that. It's a terrible look. THAT SAID, what a shot to the league that would be. It would be talked about incessantly and drive conversation around the problem. I'd create a video cutup of all the terrible calls over the last 10 years of Bears/Packers games, and every time someone called us out for not playing, i'd show them the tape. I feel like something dramatic needs to happen or there's simply no reason for things to actually change? Any better ideas or, more realistic ones since this will obviously never happen?
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am Don’t forget not calling a blatant off sides resulting in an INT, and a phantom hold on Mustipher to call back a TD. The fact we overcame that last one doesn’t change that the refs still cheated there. It’s quite blatant IMO, and I really want to know what the McCaskeys are doing about it. This is a league issue IMO.
And the time out he called with a few seconds on the clock.

I really felt like the refs were saying "FU Bears - this isn't your game". After that first drive the bad officiating started coming.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!