Something Different To Fight About (Johnson Fined)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Don't want to be fined? Be the fuck on time.

$2,745 is chump-change to him.
IDK. Kind of a hefty fine for being a minute late. Particularly when you consider how many veterans he just allows to take whole personal days off.
It's the equivalent of roughly $100 being taken out of a $60,000 yearly salary.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

A couple of points:

1. He never should have posted but that almost becoming the world we live in,
2. As stated I don't think this is "Nagy thing" it team policy and he just signs off on the letter,
3. Be on time. The guy got paid $1.4 M (??) to do his job. He doesn't punch a clock so if he has a meeting that starts at 8 a.m. be in your seat ready to no later than 8 a.m. Don't come walking into the room then, don't be late.

Granted all my views are based upon how I go about life. I'm 15 minutes early to everything. I don't expect others to do so and I'm happy to show grace to people when they are late and don't call head to let us know that. There are some people I deal with on a regular basis that I've had to pull aside and tell them if they continue to be 10-15 minutes to their hearings, I may have no choice other that to start on time and if they miss part of it they can take that up with their client. That tends to fix the problem.

So could there maybe be a better way to handle it - possibly. But we also don't know this was his first violation so maybe they already tried to do that.
Xee
Site Admin

IDK. Kind of a hefty fine for being a minute late. Particularly when you consider how many veterans he just allows to take whole personal days off.
I believe the amount is stipulated in the CBA. And see the posts above, who knows if he's had a pattern of doing this or if they're already given a 15 minute grace period and he was still late. This is isn't school where you can just laugh it off; multiple NFL players over the week have said this not something surprising because being on time is taken very seriously.

On the point of the veterans, I'm fairly certain they give notice when they get a personal day off and don't just not show up for meetings that day.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:01 pm

And you don't think being fined $100 for being a minute late is a bit harsh? If I tried to fine a worker even $10 for being a minute late, the whole crew would laugh, turn around, and walk away, and I'd never get a harvest in.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Jaylon Johnson gets paid millions of dollars to play a game.

He's going to get extended and be paid like one of the top CBs in the game.

Show up to the meeting on time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:25 am

And you don't think being fined $100 for being a minute late is a bit harsh? If I tried to fine a worker even $10 for being a minute late, the whole crew would laugh, turn around, and walk away, and I'd never get a harvest in.
I agree, 1 minute is silly. Unless it’s a recurring problem of some sort.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m sure there is a tolerance and also a limit.

I think the limit of the tolerance will be 0815 and he failed to show up with the tolerated time.

What’s his excuse?
No excuse.
Ok - you get fined
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

G08
Hall of Famer

I don't but I'm ruthless. Be the fuck on time.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Are your workers covered by a collective bargaining agreement?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

pus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 am

Its interesting that a CBA can work to the benefit of both sides in something like this.........both sides agree to live by the same rule book and the result is people on both sides don't have to waste as much time dealing with chronic lateness and penalties for same.

I think a good (pro sports) CBA would define the problem(s) and prescribe the penalty(s), so that the team(s) and the individual player(s) both know how things work. Everybody's on the same page, etc. It's pretty simple stuff: break these rules; suffer these consequences.

The social media whine is (yet another) part of growing up, maybe.
docc
Head Coach

Bears CB Jaylon Johnson on tardiness fine: “I messed up; I posted it when I didn’t need to,” Johnson said. “I’ve gotta own up to it. If I didn’t want that to happen in the first place, I shouldn’t have been late.

“I wasn’t worried about the discipline. It was more so a joke to my friends saying how much I got fined for being late. But that’s it.”

JJ says he thought he was sending to close friends..not the millions he whined to ?
Xee
Site Admin

While I'd usually think he was just trying to make an excuse after the fact, I'm going to say I believe him on this.

The way he phrased his text made it seem like something informal to be shared with friends rather than something he meant for everyone to see. And I'm not an Instagram user but I how I understand it is when you post something, you can either press a button to share it just with friends, or press a button to add it to your "story" which everyone can see.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

pus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 am

:rofl: Now that's funny. But yes it is:

"I'll pay you so much for a bucket of grapes?"

"Okay."

Collectively bargained. ;)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I've had several jobs where you can get fined for this behavior.
malk
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:05 pm
malk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:38 pm Jfc I'm glad I don't work with some of you!

If my job starts at 9am and you want me there before 9am, um, pay me to get there earlier and have that as my start time. I'm in the building for when I start getting paid not sitting at my desk salivating at the prospect of someone extracting the surplus value from my time.

Incidentally I'm also a manager and have been since my late 20s. My teams know pretty early on that all I care about is them getting shit done. You want to leave early occasionally? I don't care, does your shit get done? Occasionally show up late? I don't care, does your shit get done? And, amazingly, people get their shit done and more! If anyone takes the piss they get told not to take the piss.

Now if you're inconveniencing loads of people with constant tardiness then sure, that needs sorting but I've got more issue with whomever organised the meeting before 9am. Fine that person!
It all depends.

When you serve the public and the doors open at 8am you can’t really tell the public that Bobby needs 5 more minutes because he walked in with you.

But, I am salaried, my main staff is salaried and they all agreed to man the office during the hours we are open when they signed on. I typically exceed 40 hours a week by a ways, even though my salary is based on 40 hours a week.

Do we have times when any of us may need to leave early or start late, sure and it’s allowed given the fact that they get their shit done.
For me, if you want someone to start working in a public facing role you need to pay them 15 minutes or whatever before they need to be doing that. Turning on a computer or POS, checking till recipt roll etc. That's work and you shouldn't be expected to do it for free plus if the company values its customers then they'll stump up to give them better service.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/10/20/c ... ram-story/

JJ gets fined for being (probably) 1-60 seconds late to a meeting
Posts letter to social media, gets (probably) a talking to for it

Go!

so what was so pressing to him he could not be to a scheduled meeting at his workplace on time? had some important tic-toc to post? selfies? posting stupid shit to social media? and then he posts stupid shit to social media after being disciplined ... sounds like a true knucklehead to me

I do think it is hypocritical of Nagy to fine someone for something like this after he let Wims get away with much more stupid shit during games before finally seeing the light and dumping his ignorant ass ... if he had wanted to establish his authority and that he truly will not tolerate insubordination, he should have come down like a ton of bricks after the Saints game bullshit ... but he didn't ... Wims continued to start, continued to be an ass, and eventually outright dropped the most important pass of the Bears season

this fine of Johnson seems petty and an underwhelming show of authority, but Johnson has no reason to protest and can count himself fortunate Nagy is not a more aggressive disciplinarian
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin