Updates on Jenkins and Borom

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

It's been rather silent out there on both of those guys since they went down. But I did find this buried in a piece on line:

"Jenkins remains in recovery from back surgery. He’s unlikely to see the field until late November at the earliest. Borom still hasn’t started practicing due to the ankle issue. It may be another couple of weeks before he is ready. Hopefully, Peters can hold up."

So looks like we will get through the bye week before either has a shot at returning.

Here's the whole thing (and yeah it's from Erik, who I know a lot of you don't like):

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... rry-borom/
:evilgrin:
G08
Hall of Famer

I've intimated that Jenkins "could" comeback by week 11. That would put him at 13.5 weeks post-surgery. Question will be what strength and conditioning shape he is in at that point in time. Maybe keep him active as a swing tackle and get him some reps on special teams.

Borom... I think high ankle sprains can take 6 weeks, maybe 8 if it's more severe (not as severe as Kyle Long's though, woof). If he's feeling better heading into the 49ers game, I'd start ramping him up conditioning wise and maybe target after the bye week to activate him (will be 10 weeks post-injury).

Unrelated, but I see some wins if we can stay healthy with the offense AND defense continuing to gel.

49ers
Steelers
Lions
Vikings
Seahawks
Giants
Vikings
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 am I've intimated that Jenkins "could" comeback by week 11. That would put him at 13.5 weeks post-surgery. Question will be what strength and conditioning shape he is in at that point in time. Maybe keep him active as a swing tackle and get him some reps on special teams.

Borom... I think high ankle sprains can take 6 weeks, maybe 8 if it's more severe (not as severe as Kyle Long's though, woof). If he's feeling better heading into the 49ers game, I'd start ramping him up conditioning wise and maybe target after the bye week to activate him (will be 10 weeks post-injury).
Question, G (seems like you know quite a bit about this) .... can Jenkins be lifting and/or doing hard cardio while he's recovering? What "can" he be doing to keep his strength and conditioning as good as it can be?

On Borom... that was effing horrible luck for him to get rolled so soon. He was just coming on... damn the Bears can be snakebit at times.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Would really like to see them both get a little action this year. Frankly, a lot of the offense rebuild gets easier if we could pencil in those guys on the outside. You could rebuild the middle of the line a bit (Daniels is a FA and Whitehair/Mustipher questionable long term), and still have plenty left to rebuild the WR unit.

Either way I think 2022 is gonna have a little bit of a wish and a prayer element, but luckily it mostly lies in the progression of Fields.
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 am
G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 am I've intimated that Jenkins "could" comeback by week 11. That would put him at 13.5 weeks post-surgery. Question will be what strength and conditioning shape he is in at that point in time. Maybe keep him active as a swing tackle and get him some reps on special teams.

Question, G (seems like you know quite a bit about this) .... can Jenkins be lifting and/or doing hard cardio while he's recovering? What "can" he be doing to keep his strength and conditioning as good as it can be?

On Borom... that was effing horrible luck for him to get rolled so soon. He was just coming on... damn the Bears can be snakebit at times.
Early on you want lighter cardio, so walking, stationary bike, pool work etc. Around the six week mark (between the Lions and Raiders game), assuming all is going well, they'll start more strengthening. It all depends on the person, he's a professional athlete so there's a very good chance he is ahead of this schedule.

If I had to guess: Assuming he's on-track, if not ahead of schedule, I like week 11 or week 12. If the line is playing well, Pace may play it safe and keep him off the field.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Cohen: Likely won't play this season at all, iffy for 2022, but all is mysterious

Borom: Should be back in a couple weeks, maybe after bye

Jenkins: If he plays in 2021 it would be way ahead of schedule
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I also don't have much hope for Jenkins. He has the physique of a bag of chewed gum and it just doesn't inspire confidence that he's generally going to be healthy.
Please let me be surprised.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Do we even know what type of surgery Jenkins had yet? Not sure how we can evaluate when he could come back without knowing that.

With him having had zero practices in training camp and mid season practices tending to be a lot less intense, I just can’t imagine him inspiring enough confidence in the staff to be thrown out there even if he is recovered soon which who knows if that will even happen.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am Jenkins: If he plays in 2022 it would be way ahead of schedule
Strongly disagree here. Unless something goes wrong, he will be playing in 2022.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:40 am
UOK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am Jenkins: If he plays in 2022 it would be way ahead of schedule
Strongly disagree here. Unless something goes wrong, he will be playing in 2022.
I think there's a chance he will be "active" at least.
G08
Hall of Famer

@UOK I guess I should clarify... do you mean the 2022 season? Or 2022 meaning weeks 17 and 18?

G08
Hall of Famer

For reference, Chris Williams had surgery around Aug 7, 2008. By Aug 25, 2008 he said his stiches were gone and he started doing rehab/cardio/lifting.

He played his first game Nov 2nd, 2008, on special teams (~12 weeks after his surgery).

IE
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am I also don't have much hope for Jenkins. He has the physique of a bag of chewed gum and it just doesn't inspire confidence that he's generally going to be healthy.
:o What?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am
Burl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am I also don't have much hope for Jenkins. He has the physique of a bag of chewed gum and it just doesn't inspire confidence that he's generally going to be healthy.
:o What?
Some people are just naturally angry.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Not knowing what to do about OT in the offseason is going to be a real liability
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:53 am Not knowing what to do about OT in the offseason is going to be a real liability
They should just try to find two starting tackles anyway since it’s better to have too much depth at that position than not enough. And if Jenkins back issues will limit him or even prevent him from playing they’ll still be set.
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:54 am @UOK I guess I should clarify... do you mean the 2022 season? Or 2022 meaning weeks 17 and 18?
Twas a typo. I meant 2021.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Moriarty wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:53 am Not knowing what to do about OT in the offseason is going to be a real liability
They should just try to find two starting tackles anyway since it’s better to have too much depth at that position than not enough. And if Jenkins back issues will limit him or even prevent him from playing they’ll still be set.
Do you know what starting tackles cost on the open market?

Worst case is buying one starter and letting Jenkins/Borom/vet min compete for the other spot, swing and final OL spot. To buy two would mean letting way too many other holes go.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:51 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:23 pm

Do you know what starting tackles cost on the open market?

Worst case is buying one starter and letting Jenkins/Borom/vet min compete for the other spot, swing and final OL spot. To buy two would mean letting way too many other holes go.
The cost depends on how good they are. Ifedi is a starting tackle and on a contract for 4 million, for instance. I’d imagine they can find at least a moderate upgrade without breaking the bank.

Plus, the Pace apologists tell me his cap management is fine and there will be tons of cap space next year.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't count on Jenkins this year. Missed all of camp. Hard major surgery. All back surgeries are major.
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:56 pm I wouldn't count on Jenkins this year. Missed all of camp. Hard major surgery. All back surgeries are major.
I had his same surgery (I think) but on my neck instead of my lower back. 8 weeks of not doing shit, couldn't even drive a car. Then slowly worked back into things, but was prohibited from ever power lifting again. And told, sternly, to drop at least 50 pounds - which I did.

Deltas are that he's still young so will heal much faster, and lower back vs neck. I have thought since it went down that he could come back 2/3 of the way into the season. I'd decide on that based on our playoff prospects. Even if he's healthy I'd still sit him if we're out of it.
docc
Head Coach

Yep..two burst in lower back..one in neck..all right side. Pitching (and 3rd) in college was no so good to me..(Ulnar, Librium tear, rotator, carpal/ulner opperation also). Same..no heavy lifting..lose weight (I did 55lbs..now another 20) and opted for Cortisone shots..but Neurologist told me ..
"Next I want to spend a hour in your neck"

Not seeing the nurse behind me
"Doc..you know how many girls I told that to..?
Heard her behind me..
"Uh..sorry.."
Nurse was laughing hard..said no problem.
When I came out of office all the nurses were laughing..so I lived..
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Had L3 & L4 discectomy just prior to thanksgiving my senior year due to football injury. Shot a deer and drug it a 1/2 mile 3 weeks later. Resumed basketball 1/2 way through January and never looked back. High jumped, ran the 1/4, threw shot and discus in track (qualified in all 4 for state). Catcher, first base and pitcher in summer baseball which continued until I was 26 playin amateur baseball. Still play competitively in basketballl and softball now at 44 with no issues and can still dunk on a good day.

Every surgery is different and every recovery is different.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm wondering if the Bears are considering Borom at G in case they don't want to re-sign Daniels to a big contract. Daniels is having a very good year but there is usually lots of guard talent in the draft and free agency.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
docc
Head Coach

SD..
I coached and played city over 35 league hardball..until.59. This Old moron was throwing 200+ pitches a week..during college scouts tryout week..got tired..told the kid (17 6"2 225 !) to throw so I took third. Already had L4-5 Ulner all the crap..
Second batter hits a bullet one hopper down the line.. Old Moron dives..shows glove like faking out a non existent ump..then throws from MY KNEES across to first. I could hear the pop in my neck.. Old man stupid..re injured and worse.
Dumb move..but smell the grass..feel the infield dirt and just habit took over..
DR says I could be in a chair..1.5 years in sport therapy U of Az here. I promised never to play or coach again..(I can't stop myself from hands on shit)

BUT..snuck out with my son..I said I want to throw one last pitch from mound.. Actually threw 2..and it hurt as I yelled "RETIRED"

More shots..just like taking the needle in college..

Now lighter weights and higher reps..Recomb bike and NO FREE WEIGHTS..just machines.

Done..
otis
Pro Bowler

I've been saving all my injuries up for next year and my new deductible. Elbows knees and shoulders, knees and shoulders. I've been fortunate to never have a back injury. I hope I never do. It seems once you start on the back it never stops.
G08
Hall of Famer

This might hit :thumbsup:

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This might be worth zero. But Jason Peters was asked about those guys and said that they are both in the meeting room asking questions all the time. When asked when he expected them to return, he said that Borom is supposed to rejoin this week and Jenkins in about 2 weeks.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:03 pm This might be worth zero. But Jason Peters was asked about those guys and said that they are both in the meeting room asking questions all the time. When asked when he expected them to return, he said that Borom is supposed to rejoin this week and Jenkins in about 2 weeks.
I suspect he knows fairly accurately.

Still,
a) Practicing and being in game shape aren't necessarily the same thing
b) If the Bears are letting desperation push their return up too soon - which I have zero difficulty imagining them doing - then it could be more steps backwards than forwards.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Wilkinson likely starts this week if available, could see Borom the week after. Although if it’s Simmons again, might just go ahead with Borom. Good news on both, we need to see them play this year so we know what we have.