Updates on Jenkins and Borom

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:38 am
wab wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:04 am Lotsa folks gonna be upset when Jenkins just gets some spot time and Peters remains the starter for the rest of the year
Once cleared and up to speed he almost has to get significant playing time just to see what they have.

I would predict 3-4 starts at the end of the year, if he is cleared. Otherwise you roll into next season just not knowing what you have again.
That's assuming this staff knows what it's doing and has job security. I don't think they have either of those. Nagy will play who ever he thinks is going to save his job by that point.
Z Bear
MVP

Peters ain't going to the bench unless someone is hurt, Nagy has shown he leans towards vets in almost all situations since he got here. Mustipher has been the worst lineman all season, so it would make the most sense to kick Borom or Jenkins to RG and let Daniels move over to C.
spudbear
MVP

If Peters does stay at starter then it would make the most sense to drop Borom to RG and then let Jenkins play his "accustomed" RT spot. Unless the Bears rip off three wins in a row after the bye, it would be stupid to keep Peters out there when you need to evaluate the current roster for best OT available.

I'd be a little surprised if Peters does not start breaking down by about game 12. If his quickness and strength start to decline due to nagging injuries then he needs to sit if Jenkins is ready.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:00 am If Peters does stay at starter then it would make the most sense to drop Borom to RG and then let Jenkins play his "accustomed" RT spot. Unless the Bears rip off three wins in a row after the bye, it would be stupid to keep Peters out there when you need to evaluate the current roster for best OT available.

I'd be a little surprised if Peters does not start breaking down by about game 12. If his quickness and strength start to decline due to nagging injuries then he needs to sit if Jenkins is ready.
If Peters loses any "quickness", he'll be this....

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Read this a.m. that Jenkins may start practicing after the bye week. But the article didn't say at which tackle spot.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Jenkins just got married. Good for him. In the pics he did not look in game shape - I'll just say that. Looks like he's been eating a lot of the smoked meat from his new Traeger.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:09 pm Jenkins just got married. Good for him. In the pics he did not look in game shape - I'll just say that. Looks like he's been eating a lot of the smoked meat from his new Traeger.
Most offensive lineman look similar.
IE
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:22 pm
IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:09 pm Jenkins just got married. Good for him. In the pics he did not look in game shape - I'll just say that. Looks like he's been eating a lot of the smoked meat from his new Traeger.
Most offensive lineman look similar.
Yeah - true. Must be the t-rex arms that make him look thicker.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Peters has been pretty damn good at LT and considering the safety of our MVP Justin Fields I don't think they should risk replacing him. Maybe Jenkins competes with Borom for RT if he can't play OG, or if Castillo doesn't want to move everyone around to get Mustifer off the field.
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:10 pm Peters has been pretty damn good at LT and considering the safety of our MVP Justin Fields I don't think they should risk replacing him. Maybe Jenkins competes with Borom for RT if he can't play OG, or if Castillo doesn't want to move everyone around to get Mustifer off the field.
I think they like Mustipher a lot more than most here do. Watching JF1 banter with him, I don't know if I'd want to make a change there. Let me rephrase that - I don't think I want a change there.

I expect Jenkins will come in to spell Peters and Borom. That's the way I'd play it. If one gets dinged then Jenkins is at RT and Borom at left.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:09 pm This arm length thing kills me. Borom's arms are 33 1/8. Leno's are 34 3/8. Thats one inch and a quarter difference between being abnormally long-armed and short-armed. On guys that are 6'5"? Seriously?

Every time this is brought up I remind that Joe Thomas had 32" arms & people were "concerned" about it when he was drafted. Maybe - just maybe - arm length plays a very small if any role in OT efficacy.

Aw, don't be that guy.

There's always people who want to discredit combine because it happens in shorts and games are played in pads.
Or someone discrediting run times for linemen, because they never sprint 20/40 yds straight in a game, anyway.
Or discrediting 40s for skill players because the difference between 4.6 and 4.4 in a 20 yard route is less than a yard.
They all still matter.

As for arms specifically - I meant that Leno's are very long, given how short he is for a T.
Yes, 1-2 inches is something when you consider how narrow the range you're talking about is.
You're considerably misremembering the Joe Thomas example. I see only 33 3/4 as the most common result for him (with a couple 33 1/2s). That's only slightly subpar (although perhaps a bit surprising, given his considerable height). I doubt any OT has succeeded with 32" even arms in the modern era. Not since the olden days when you could be a 6'2 OT.
https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7818
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:04 pm
IE wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:09 pm This arm length thing kills me. Borom's arms are 33 1/8. Leno's are 34 3/8. Thats one inch and a quarter difference between being abnormally long-armed and short-armed. On guys that are 6'5"? Seriously?

Every time this is brought up I remind that Joe Thomas had 32" arms & people were "concerned" about it when he was drafted. Maybe - just maybe - arm length plays a very small if any role in OT efficacy.

Aw, don't be that guy.

There's always people who want to discredit combine because it happens in shorts and games are played in pads.
Or someone discrediting run times for linemen, because they never sprint 20/40 yds straight in a game, anyway.
Or discrediting 40s for skill players because the difference between 4.6 and 4.4 in a 20 yard route is less than a yard.
They all still matter.

As for arms specifically - I meant that Leno's are very long, given how short he is for a T.
Yes, 1-2 inches is something when you consider how narrow the range you're talking about is.
You're considerably misremembering the Joe Thomas example. I see only 33 3/4 as the most common result for him (with a couple 33 1/2s). That's only slightly subpar (although perhaps a bit surprising, given his considerable height). I doubt any OT has succeeded with 32" even arms in the modern era. Not since the olden days when you could be a 6'2 OT.
From Reddit:

Heard an interview with Joe Thomas and he hates this stat and how much people talk about it
Bears Scout: "He has 32.5 arms. Too short to play OT."
Joe Thomas: "...And I took that personally"

IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Aw, don't be that guy.

They all still matter.

Seriously though here's an analysis using actual data:
https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm

From Reddit:

Heard an interview with Joe Thomas and he hates this stat and how much people talk about it
Bears Scout: "He has 32.5 arms. Too short to play OT."
Joe Thomas: "...And I took that personally"

The person claiming 32.5 for Joe Thomas is just some anonymous nobody who says they "heard it".
All arm length measurements for the current pros are found on https://nflcombineresults.com.
The reference to https://nflcombineresults.com is the same one I linked, which has him at 33.75

Same at NFL.com
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joe-thoma ... 7e76f9f5d8

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:28 pm
:-P

We've had this conversation before

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15336&p=265135&hili ... th#p265135

IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 pm
IE wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:28 pm
:-P

We've had this conversation before

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15336&p=265135&hili ... th#p265135
I remember - and I thought you had expanded your mind on the topic. hehe
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 pm
The person claiming 32.5 for Joe Thomas is just some anonymous nobody who says they "heard it".
If you walk into a room with a bunch of guys and make a joke about guys with small dicks, and one guy gets mad about it....

It's a well-known thing for Thomas since the draft. I'll take his side that it doesn't matter hardly at all.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:45 am
Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 pm
If you walk into a room with a bunch of guys and make a joke about guys with small dicks, and one guy gets mad about it....

It's a well-known thing for Thomas since the draft. I'll take his side that it doesn't matter hardly at all.
Not sure how many on here played the position, but I can tell you that long arms do help. It simply helps you cover for mistakes or laziness with your feet if you can reach out and corral your man back into your body, or use the force of your stretch arm to sort of boost your feet in the direction you need to move quickly and re-anchor (sorta like using the arm of a chair to stand up is the best way I can explain it). It can be a bit of a blessing and a curse, as you can't rely on your arms like that and it can lead to lazy footwork. But all things being equal, better to have long arms playing tackle than not.

In no way does it predetermine success though. I have insanely long arms and I sucked, for example. I also found long arms to be a detriment when I got kicked inside, as everything happened in a compressed space/time and you just had to keep your arms in tight anyways - it felt unnatural for me. But, to each his own and I wouldn't ever let a measurement like that dictate / project a players success.

I'm majorly pleased with Borom, he just looks like he belongs out there. TRex arms or not, he looks like a tackle to me, not a G. He plays high and I'm not sure he'd excel inside, but he clearly looks good outside, so why muck with that?
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:04 am Lotsa folks gonna be upset when Jenkins just gets some spot time and Peters remains the starter for the rest of the year
I mean, assuming Jenkins is genuinely fit and doesn't look like garbage in practice, they'd be right to be upset.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I find it hard to throw Jenkins out there any time soon. No practice even in camp. A major surgery at the beginning of the season. Combined with no nfl experience.

It's like pinch hitting with 2 strikes and using a reliever who hasn't swung a bat sense college.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:49 pm I find it hard to throw Jenkins out there any time soon. No practice even in camp. A major surgery at the beginning of the season. Combined with no nfl experience.

It's like pinch hitting with 2 strikes and using a reliever who hasn't swung a bat sense college.
I agree, we’re 3 and 6, unlikely to make the playoffs, very unlikely to win a playoff game.
So keep TJ on the sidelines until perhaps week 14 onwards just to get a look at him.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Honestly I wouldn't 0lay him either, but I say the same about Fields. I just hope if/when they do hes fully recovered and in playing strength, shape, and knowledge. I doubt any of those three will be.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Does any OL look like they're in shape?

Read this on Borom, said he's giving up fewer pressures despite facing 2 of the NFL's best the past 2 weeks:

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/11/11/ch ... dium=email
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:01 pm Not sure how many on here played the position, but I can tell you that long arms do help. It simply helps you cover for mistakes or laziness with your feet if you can reach out and corral your man back into your body, or use the force of your stretch arm to sort of boost your feet in the direction you need to move quickly and re-anchor (sorta like using the arm of a chair to stand up is the best way I can explain it). It can be a bit of a blessing and a curse, as you can't rely on your arms like that and it can lead to lazy footwork. But all things being equal, better to have long arms playing tackle than not.
I actually really like this explanation. I would like to suggest my theory. I think shoulder width might actually have a better correlation then arm length. Shoulder width is obviously a part of wing span, and wing span is a more accurate measurement then arm length.

As many know I like combative sports. I found guys with wide shoulders seem to hit harder. I believe it's works like gearing ratios. Big shoulders big gear. Waist is a smaller gear. Small gear turns big gear for more torque.

I also think wide shoulders allow for better angles when someone is inside. Lanky guys can struggle when someone's inside their reach.

Just my theory with no evidence.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am
dplank wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:01 pm Not sure how many on here played the position, but I can tell you that long arms do help. It simply helps you cover for mistakes or laziness with your feet if you can reach out and corral your man back into your body, or use the force of your stretch arm to sort of boost your feet in the direction you need to move quickly and re-anchor (sorta like using the arm of a chair to stand up is the best way I can explain it). It can be a bit of a blessing and a curse, as you can't rely on your arms like that and it can lead to lazy footwork. But all things being equal, better to have long arms playing tackle than not.
I actually really like this explanation. I would like to suggest my theory. I think shoulder width might actually have a better correlation then arm length. Shoulder width is obviously a part of wing span, and wing span is a more accurate measurement then arm length.

As many know I like combative sports. I found guys with wide shoulders seem to hit harder. I believe it's works like gearing ratios. Big shoulders big gear. Waist is a smaller gear. Small gear turns big gear for more torque.

I also think wide shoulders allow for better angles when someone is inside. Lanky guys can struggle when someone's inside their reach.

Arm length would be a bonus for an OT, not for OG. I'll take a guy who has a wide base, has light feet to move around as needed, and is flexible in the hips. Borom checks these boxes. The Bears need to start putting Jenkins at LT if he's physically able to see if he can play the position next year.
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't want them to displace Peters or Borom. I think the continuity is important. But I would like to see Jenkins rotate in to spell both of them & keep them fresher. And then also allow him to ramp up in live game situations. I see that as a win-win.

Maybe pick some spots early on - like only a few plays against Baltimore but let Jenkins get more time on Turkey Day.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Jenkins should only play:

1. if he's absolutely 100% good to go and in game shape
2. if (when) the Bears are eliminated from playoff contention
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am

Wingspan is absolutely the right way to look at it. And wide shoulders provides a much better power base than lanky ass arms on a thinner frame.
dave99
Assistant Coach

For what it's worth, Tom Thayer sees Borom at LT and Jenkins at RT.
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... e-changed/
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:15 am For what it's worth, Tom Thayer sees Borom at LT and Jenkins at RT.
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... e-changed/
A recognized solid OL guy says Borom has the stuff to be a LT and that the Bears won't go to a youth movement at tackle until/unless they're eliminated from playoff contention. Stubborness and stupidity seem to be the watchword for Bears management and coaching so it's entirely probable they ignore let the tackle issue stay unresolved heading into the offseason.