Updates on Jenkins and Borom

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:03 pm This might be worth zero. But Jason Peters was asked about those guys and said that they are both in the meeting room asking questions all the time. When asked when he expected them to return, he said that Borom is supposed to rejoin this week and Jenkins in about 2 weeks.
I feel like bucs game was the first time i saw jenkins on the sideline with the team
IE
Hall of Famer

So when Borom comes back, how about Inserting him on the left right away. And then play Peters at LG (which is effectively what he's been playing anyway, with Bars outside of him a lot). And then move Daniels to Center. And then move Whitehair to RG and Wilk at RT so Bars can continue his role as the 6th lineman who is almost always on the field.

See if Mustipher is really the weak link he's being portrayed as, and also get more athleticism out on the left. Mustipher and Fields haven't built "that" much of a relationship that it would hurt Fields in terms of the snaps. If Daniels craters at Center it probably means he needs to be gone next year even though he's so damn young (because of Pace's money pit). Bars can play OG as well as Daniels, and could be plug & play next year.

I think as critical as it is to get JF1 developed some other important questions need to be answered: Is Borom really a LT? Can Jenkins play LT, or should he be the future RT? Do the Bears need a Center? Is Daniels a keeper at Center, maybe?

When Jenkins comes back in, Ihink using the configuration I'm suggesting would allow him to start spelling both Wilk and Borom to see what he's got. Work him in slowly - will be good for him and good for future insight. If Jenkins ends up mauling, try Borom on the Right. Etc....

To me all this makes sense. Maybe they wait until the Bye week to make such broad change - but I'd rather see it as soon as Borom is available, and what could it hurt to start answering important questions with long-term impacts?

Oh wait ... Nagy doesn't understand how fired he is, and so we'll see no changes at all unless a guy gets dinged. And it won't be enough to inform the GM in the future (of the future?).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Burl
Crafty Veteran

No offense meant toward IE (as he's only articulating the team's ostensible "plan"), but I just love the idea that the impending return of a 5th round rookie with almost zero experience is the key cog in reshuffling the entire OL.
God help Justin Fields.
Last edited by Burl on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Apparently Peters was a disaster at Guard. I’d put Borom at LT and Jenkins at RT and see what they can do. We are already the worst in the NFL, can’t hurt
G08
Hall of Famer

Peters, IMO, has been more than serviceable on the left side. Sounds as if he feels like he's back in football shape, too.

I'd put Borom at RT if Wilkinson can't go. Not sure how much longer Ifedi will be out either.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 pm No offense meant toward IE (as he's only articulating the team's ostensible "plan"), but I just love the idea that the impending return of a 5th round rookie with almost zero experience is the key cog in reshuffling the entire OL.
God help Justin Fields.
Yeah.
That's partly a reflection of the complete disarray of the OL (again)
Partly people setting their expectations for Borom awfully high
And partly an awful lot of moves in that plan

Still, I wouldn't feel terrible about an experiment of:

Peters/Whitehair/Daniels/Wilkinson or Bars/Borom

That leaves Peters & Whitehair at their regular spots
Borom where he's always played
and Daniels & Wilkinson/Bars at spots where they've spent lots of time
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE, I think that's way too much shuffling IMO.

I think you put Borom at RT when he's in game shape (or close enough). Even if you want him on the left side long term, you can still evaluate the tape on him at RT and know how he might hold up on the left side. There should be little concern about having him "make that switch" in the offseason if he proves his worth at RT. Or just have Jenkins go LT long term. I'm not too concenred overall about sides, I think it's overstated.

Mustipher is a separate decision, IMO. If they really feel he's too big an issue I'm open to Whitehair at C and Bars at LG. I don't love Whitehair at C at all, but could be the lesser of evil situation. Causes less upheavel and hopefully is a relatively stable situation for the line and Fields. Keeps two other spots stable.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think you start Borom at RT and leave the rest of the OL alone. See how that works out. It will be several more weeks before Jenkins returns so that lets the team see how that lineup works. If Borom and Peters are playing solid and we are somehow still in the hunt for the playoffs, maybe do nothing. If one of those two isn't holding his own out there, insert Jenkins into the lineup (if Peters is the guy you take out, maybe you shift Borom over there, maybe you stick Jenkins there I don't know). If we are out of the playoff race, I think you get Jenkins out there so we have an idea of what we have going into next year.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

All these moves that are being discussed here is crazy talk to me. Sub in at RT and stay put elsewhere.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I just don't understand all of this blind, and in my opinion, misplaced faith in Borom. He was a RT and RG in college with a handful of injury fill-in plays at LT. He was almost universally seen as a guard coming out of Mizzou.

If you are going to do anything with Borom, you slide Daniels back to LG, put Whitehair back at center, and put Borom at RG. These are all positions these guys have shown some level of comfort at (albeit in college for Borom).

Or you put Bars at whatever guard spot that is open after someone moves to center.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:52 pm I just don't understand all of this blind, and in my opinion, misplaced faith in Borom. He was a RT and RG in college with a handful of injury fill-in plays at LT. He was almost universally seen as a guard coming out of Mizzou.

If you are going to do anything with Borom, you slide Daniels back to LG, put Whitehair back at center, and put Borom at RG. These are all positions these guys have shown some level of comfort at (albeit in college for Borom).

Or you put Bars at whatever guard spot that is open after someone moves to center.
I like how he's light on his feet yet has strength in his punch.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:52 pm I just don't understand all of this blind, and in my opinion, misplaced faith in Borom. He was a RT and RG in college with a handful of injury fill-in plays at LT. He was almost universally seen as a guard coming out of Mizzou.

I do agree there's been a bit too much lift to the Borom hype train.

But as to G/T, based on need and potential payoff it's worth to think of him as strictly outside for this year. Given different circumstances, maybe a trial at G would makes sense. He could still move inside in time, but for now, T makes logical sense and while there was some reports of G flexibility I don't think the outside was ever closed for consideration.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the Bears are as unhappy with Mustifer as we are because they could have already made moves to play Bars on the interior somewhere and get Sam off the field, and yet we haven't heard anything about that. They even have Mustifer doing press conferences and whatnot. I would definitely try Bars out at OC and Borom at RT and try to keep the other three in their spots.
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Peters has been okay at LT but too many plays where he's just phoning it in versus fast defenders. Can Borom do a lot worse? Again, the Bears have until the end of this season to determine if he's the future at LT, it's not going to be done if he's at RT or on the bench.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Richie
MVP

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... -back-soon

Peters was talking about it with the press, apparently. Says Jenkins is "a few weeks away". Might not matter by that point. However, it is good to hear that our 2nd round pick (which most everyone liked) is getting close and the injury may not be quite as bad as we had feared.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It matters a great deal that he plays this season in my opinion.
We need to see what he’s got. We need to see Fields behind some decent linemen.
I think if we can get him back after the bye week it’ll be fantastic.
I’m not giving up on the season but more important is our future and I want to see Fields with some protection.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Apparently, the Bears have seen enough of Justin Fields and they are converting Jenkins to QB:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is getting loose? Wow, must be some new training.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:18 pm Apparently, the Bears have seen enough of Justin Fields and they are converting Jenkins to QB:

Borom at RT. Interesting
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not to be pernickety, but don't we already have a thread about this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15668&start=30
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

we do

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears activate rookie tackle Larry Borom from IR

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... il-mack-ir
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Couldn't watch the game yesterday. How did Borom do at RT?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 am Couldn't watch the game yesterday. How did Borom do at RT?
Seemed to do fine. Wasn't necessarily keyed on him.

Z Bear
MVP

That grade seems rather kind. Bossa lined up in front of Borom most of the day and was in the back field causing havoc just about every other play. He did move inside on some passing downs, but was mainly lined up at LDE. He did not look as bad as Bars did against Bossa though....that one rep was ugly.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Steelers are putting Watt against Borom, the 2nd game in a row a team has put their star DE against him. I'd suggest putting in a FB to block but I know that dog ain't gonna hunt. Doesn't look like the Bears will put Borom at LT so they'll go into the offseason hoping either Borom or Jenkins can play the position. Not exactly the best way to build the OL. They don't really have the draft capital to take a LT high nor is this a good class for them. On the plus side, they do have a 3rd and two 5ths if they decide to replace Daniels (not re-signing him) and/or Mustipher (upgrade).
Last edited by Grizzled on Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 am The Steelers are putting Watt against Borom, the 2nd game in a row a team has put their star DE against him. I'd suggest putting in a FB to block but I know that don't ain't gonna hunt.
Holtz is concussed anyway

malk
Head Coach

I'm not down with the suggestions to swap everyone around but with Borom I don't think it's misplaced faith but more taking the opportunity to see what we have with him. Protecting Fields from getting smashed is obviously a priority but we've now seen Borom not absolutely crumble against good opposition so I think we leave him at RT and hope to have a very good idea by the end of the year whether he can lock down that spot without being a liability.

Other than that I don't see much point in changing things. I guess you could look at moving Bars into one of the guard spots to and whomever over to centre to see if he could be a starter but for whatever reason that doesn't look like it's really being looked at. But fwiw I'd still "buy low" with a multi year extension for Mustipher. At worst you get a backup you have some confidence in and it takes away a tiny bit of pressure on a threadbare roster.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Z Bear
MVP

The only move that would makes sense would be to kick Daniels to C and bench Mustipher, who has gotten manhandled all season from whatever DT lines up over him. Figure out what the best combo on the right side is with Borom, Ifedi, and Wilkinson. If Jenkins come back he can back up Peters and take over in the offseaon.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think once Jenkins is ready, you have to really consider having to bench Peters. Look, Peters has been great and all, but they should get a good look at Jenkins to help them decide their offseason plans.

They probably need to replace at least 2 starter spots in the offseason. And maybe 3 if they don't retain Daniels. Getting an extended look at Jenkins and Borom is important. If all goes well they have those two spots penciled in and they can focus on rebuilding the interior.

We'll see....