Updates on Jenkins and Borom

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:58 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 am I've intimated that Jenkins "could" comeback by week 11. That would put him at 13.5 weeks post-surgery. Question will be what strength and conditioning shape he is in at that point in time. Maybe keep him active as a swing tackle and get him some reps on special teams.

Borom... I think high ankle sprains can take 6 weeks, maybe 8 if it's more severe (not as severe as Kyle Long's though, woof). If he's feeling better heading into the 49ers game, I'd start ramping him up conditioning wise and maybe target after the bye week to activate him (will be 10 weeks post-injury).
This might hit :thumbsup:
Teven Jenkins to return to practice today:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... serve-nagy
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Good news on Jenkins. Has 21 days. So at the latest he has to be made active by the Packers game or he will go back to IR and end the season there.

I think the Cardinals game is a good bet. Maybe hell be ready for Thanksgiving against Detroit, but I imagine you don't want to run a guy out there on a weird week like that after a long layoff and injury. Give him a normal prep week to come back and dress.
LacertineForest
MVP

IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:00 am Good news on Jenkins. Has 21 days. So at the latest he has to be made active by the Packers game or he will go back to IR and end the season there.

I think the Cardinals game is a good bet. Maybe hell be ready for Thanksgiving against Detroit, but I imagine you don't want to run a guy out there on a weird week like that after a long layoff and injury. Give him a normal prep week to come back and dress.
I don't see it as digital - like he has to play a full game or nothing at all. Let him get some reps to give Peters some occasional rest. And/or Borom.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:11 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:00 am Good news on Jenkins. Has 21 days. So at the latest he has to be made active by the Packers game or he will go back to IR and end the season there.

I don't see it as digital - like he has to play a full game or nothing at all. Let him get some reps to give Peters some occasional rest. And/or Borom.
Well they can activate him but leave him off the gameday roster. But they shouldn't dress him if he's not ready to go in if needed. Usually they'd dress 8 lineman I think?
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:22 pm
IE wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Well they can activate him but leave him off the gameday roster. But they shouldn't dress him if he's not ready to go in if needed. Usually they'd dress 8 lineman I think?
Agreed they shouldn't dress him if he isn't ready to play. I just don't see it as necessary to start him or expect him to play a full game, if Peters is healthy. It doesn't have to be digital / all-or-nothing. Take advantage and ease in Jenkins while giving Peters some rest. It's a win-win. If Jenkins plays well then maybe look at starting to play him more going forward. But there's no reason why they couldn't insert Jenks for a series here & there and benefit everyone.
G08
Hall of Famer

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:07 pm
I saw that. Hopefully he gets activated and can start getting game reps after the Lions game.

Peters and Borom have been okay, so I'd like to see him start off with reps on FG and maybe in heavy packages doing what Bars has done. I don't like the idea of subbing him in at RT or LT for a series here and there. I just don't think that's good for the overall OL play.

At some point if he looks good at LT in practice you have to put him there as Peters is gone after this year and we need to know what we have.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s been around for 6 months now, doing what work he could + being in all team meetings and stuff. Once you have him physically ready, you play him over Peters IMO. And I bet we see improved play. The T play has been horrific on the whole this year, and I’m not nearly as high on Peters as most here are. I don’t care if he pancakes a DB that ran into his limited gravitational field, he can’t move and gets beat because of it. Borom immediately improved the RT spot IMO, could see Jenkins having a similar impact. And like everyone else has correctly noted, we need to find out before the off season.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 am He’s been around for 6 months now, doing what work he could + being in all team meetings and stuff. Once you have him physically ready, you play him over Peters IMO. And I bet we see improved play. The T play has been horrific on the whole this year, and I’m not nearly as high on Peters as most here are. I don’t care if he pancakes a DB that ran into his limited gravitational field, he can’t move and gets beat because of it. Borom immediately improved the RT spot IMO, could see Jenkins having a similar impact. And like everyone else has correctly noted, we need to find out before the off season.
I'd just like to maybe see him get a game where he doesn't have to shoulder the burden of being the LT. So give him a game with some limited responsibility and see how he does. If he handles that, if he is looking good in practice and the playoffs are all but dead (likely the most "given" of all of these) then the play of Peters doesn't matter. Even if he reverts back to the guy who won however many Pro Bowl spots, you sit him and play the young guy.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 am He’s been around for 6 months now, doing what work he could + being in all team meetings and stuff. Once you have him physically ready, you play him over Peters IMO. And I bet we see improved play. The T play has been horrific on the whole this year, and I’m not nearly as high on Peters as most here are. I don’t care if he pancakes a DB that ran into his limited gravitational field, he can’t move and gets beat because of it. Borom immediately improved the RT spot IMO, could see Jenkins having a similar impact. And like everyone else has correctly noted, we need to find out before the off season.
Take it with a grain of salt, but PFF has Peters graded at a 76.8 (Green) and Borom at a 55.0 (orange/yellow).

G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 am
G08 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:07 pm
I saw that. Hopefully he gets activated and can start getting game reps after the Lions game.

Peters and Borom have been okay, so I'd like to see him start off with reps on FG and maybe in heavy packages doing what Bars has done. I don't like the idea of subbing him in at RT or LT for a series here and there. I just don't think that's good for the overall OL play.

At some point if he looks good at LT in practice you have to put him there as Peters is gone after this year and we need to know what we have.
Yeah I'm good with trotting him out there on special teams so he can get his feet wet. Some folks on #BearsTwitter think he'll slide in at guard, Mustipher get benched, and either Whitehair or Daniels move over to center.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Not surprised but, as often is the case with them, it doesn’t seem to line up with what I see. Does Peters get dinged if he’s too slow to make a block, but doesn’t actually miss a block because he never got there?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 am

Yeah I'm good with trotting him out there on special teams so he can get his feet wet. Some folks on #BearsTwitter think he'll slide in at guard, Mustipher get benched, and either Whitehair or Daniels move over to center.
I really don't want to see him or Borom slide inside right now. We need to see what the can do at OT.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Could Peters play guard?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:45 pm Could Peters play guard?
He was bad there last year, which is a large part of why he was available cheap.

However, he was also very injured, so it may not have been an accurate trial.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:16 pm
He was bad there last year, which is a large part of why he was available cheap.

However, he was also very injured, so it may not have been an accurate trial.
Well there's an idea. If we get to a point where Jenkins and Borom are holding down the OTs spots and we can slide Whitehair or Daniels over to center and then plug in Peters at OG that would let us see our OT for the future (or see they are not). But as I type this I think I'd rather see them plug in Bars on the interior since he might have a future with us and Peters clearly does not.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

All of this Madden-esque talk... Jenkins in... Peters out... Mustipher out... move guys around... Ignores some very important things.
1. Offensive lines suffer from lack of cohesion when guys are in and out of the lineup. The sum is greater than the parts... Unless you're changing everything around. Ask Nick Foles.
2. We have a rookie QB who is just getting to know the 1's. Changing everything up and adding more variables for him to process is a really counterproductive idea, particularly when you don't have to.
3. Jenkins is coming off back surgery a few weeks ago. There's no guarantee of anything. Extra rest before rigorous action might be a good thing.

Not a fan of throwing Jenkins into the fire this year. If you're going to play him, I'd start him on STs and see how he does. And if we don't play him at all this year when we're going nowhere, I'm fine with that. He's a big investment in a completely new and unknown circumstance. Protect that investment. He won't turn into a pumpkin. I promise. We can pretend he's our 2022 first round pick and be happy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Good point Mikefive
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

cblaz11
MVP

Let’s not get cute….

Let him practice the next 2-3 weeks while focusing on his conditioning. If he’s ready then, he’s our swing tackle. That said, we could bring him in like we’ve been doing with Bars in the TE role.

If he proves ready, let him start that last couple games of the year at LT. In no way am in moving Borom and halting the growth we’ve seen there.
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:16 am Let’s not get cute….

Let him practice the next 2-3 weeks while focusing on his conditioning. If he’s ready then, he’s our swing tackle. That said, we could bring him in like we’ve been doing with Bars in the TE role.

If he proves ready, let him start that last couple games of the year at LT. In no way am in moving Borom and halting the growth we’ve seen there.
Bingo
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He couldn't at Philly last year. Borom could possibly. There's thought of sliding him into Daniels' spot (although Daniels is the highest rated OL on the team), put Daniels at center and Jenkins at RT.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:23 am
cblaz11 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:16 am Let’s not get cute….

Bingo
One the sub/swing tackle to give those other guys a rest, I agree. And yeah - why not give him some reps in the Bars role or have both of them out there in an ultramax heavy package.

On where to start Borom and Jenkins (if you're going to), I don't agree at all with defaulting to putting Jenkins on the left. Borom's already shown some good stuff at LT and Jenkins might be even better on the right. There's more "continuity" in terms of experience with Borom on the left and Jenkins inserted on the right where he's more comfortable. If Peters goes down, who backs him up now? To me the answer is Borom. The success Borom's had against some good edge rushers won't be lost on the left. IF they're going to move Jenkins into a full time role, I say switch both tackles and let them settle in for hopefully a long future.

I think it is important to take advantage of the luck when you're presented with it and a guy performs better than expected when inserted into a role (same rationale for continuing to play Herbert). With Borom they got a gem that may actually work out as a long-term LT. If Borom is better at LT than Jenkins (he MAY be quite a bit better for all we know), they can't let that slip away because of prior assumptions... or poisoning-the-well nonsense like "he's a fifth round pick!".
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 am
He couldn't at Philly last year. Borom could possibly. There's thought of sliding him into Daniels' spot (although Daniels is the highest rated OL on the team), put Daniels at center and Jenkins at RT.
Why on earth would they take a guy who has basically shown he can play NFL LT and put him at Guard? They have Bars - if they were going to experiment with Daniels back at C this year then it seems the better answer is putting Bars at G. Borom's gotta stay at one of the two tackle spots. That horse (of Borom playing G) seems way out of the Barn.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:47 am
wab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:23 am

Bingo
One the sub/swing tackle to give those other guys a rest, I agree. And yeah - why not give him some reps in the Bars role or have both of them out there in an ultramax heavy package.

On where to start Borom and Jenkins (if you're going to), I don't agree at all with defaulting to putting Jenkins on the left. Borom's already shown some good stuff at LT and Jenkins might be even better on the right. There's more "continuity" in terms of experience with Borom on the left and Jenkins inserted on the right where he's more comfortable. If Peters goes down, who backs him up now? To me the answer is Borom. The success Borom's had against some good edge rushers won't be lost on the left. IF they're going to move Jenkins into a full time role, I say switch both tackles and let them settle in for hopefully a long future.

I think it is important to take advantage of the luck when you're presented with it and a guy performs better than expected when inserted into a role (same rationale for continuing to play Herbert). With Borom they got a gem that may actually work out as a long-term LT. If Borom is better at LT than Jenkins (he MAY be quite a bit better for all we know), they can't let that slip away because of prior assumptions... or poisoning-the-well nonsense like "he's a fifth round pick!".
Borom has played too mostly OK games at RT. There's very little evidence to extrapolate from a handful of LT snaps and two games at RT that he's a potential long term starter at LT.

They drafted Jenkins to play LT. They have to see if he can play LT.

They drafted Borom to play RG and/or RT. They have to see if he can continue to improve where he's at before you just uproot the dude and move him to the left.

If none of that works, then you go to plan B and move people around.
wab
Mod

And for all the consternation about Jenkins' arm length and how that could negatively impact him at LT...Borom's are nearly identical (he does have bigger hands though).

From the combine:

Borom:
HT: 6’5
WT: 322
ARMS: 33 1/8
HANDS: 10 3/8

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 08'07"
3-Cone Drill: 8.04

Jenkins:
HT: 6’5
WT: 317
ARMS: 33 1/2
HANDS: 9 1/2

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 36
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'10"
3-Cone Drill: 7.69
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

If Borom has settled in at RT I'm good with not rocking the boat.

I'll die on the hill that people make too much of L/R alignment. You don't want guys to constantly switch, but it's mainly a reps thing. And in today's NFL I want well rounded pass and run blockers on both spots. The old stereotypes of LT v RT need not apply IMO. If Borom is good on the right and Jenkins can stick on the left, I'm not worried about possibly not maximizing their roles in those spots.

The bigger issue really is just how quickly Jenkins should see reps and who's the odd man out if he does, plus how to move the other 3 in concert.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:26 am If Borom has settled in at RT I'm good with not rocking the boat.

I'll die on the hill that people make too much of L/R alignment. You don't want guys to constantly switch, but it's mainly a reps thing. And in today's NFL I want well rounded pass and run blockers on both spots. The old stereotypes of LT v RT need not apply IMO. If Borom is good on the right and Jenkins can stick on the left, I'm not worried about possibly not maximizing their roles in those spots.

The bigger issue really is just how quickly Jenkins should see reps and who's the odd man out if he does, plus how to move the other 3 in concert.
It's an easy answer IMO. You don't move a bunch of people around, you just replace Peters with Jenkins. Peters is one and done here, there's no value playing him once the season is over (which it basically is).
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:44 pm All of this Madden-esque talk... Jenkins in... Peters out... Mustipher out... move guys around... Ignores some very important things.
1. Offensive lines suffer from lack of cohesion when guys are in and out of the lineup. The sum is greater than the parts... Unless you're changing everything around. Ask Nick Foles.
2. We have a rookie QB who is just getting to know the 1's. Changing everything up and adding more variables for him to process is a really counterproductive idea, particularly when you don't have to.
3. Jenkins is coming off back surgery a few weeks ago. There's no guarantee of anything. Extra rest before rigorous action might be a good thing.

Not a fan of throwing Jenkins into the fire this year. If you're going to play him, I'd start him on STs and see how he does. And if we don't play him at all this year when we're going nowhere, I'm fine with that. He's a big investment in a completely new and unknown circumstance. Protect that investment. He won't turn into a pumpkin. I promise. We can pretend he's our 2022 first round pick and be happy.

Cohesion and continuity impact the line, no doubt.

But the 2 things that really matter in the remaining Bear season are:
  • Developing Fields.
    You can argue that maintaining the line or (maybe) improving the line are better for him. Probably the former, though.
  • Knowing what you have before the draft.
    And nowhere is more unclear, unsettled, and (probably) more necessary to draft than OL. And you can also argue that having OL properly settled and staffed for 2022 is also very important for Fields' development.

So you have 2 goals to balance, which are a little bit contradictory.
For me, I think some shifting on the line is less of a problem than going into next year with another crap shoot on the line.
Jenkins, I certainly wouldn't rush back. But, if it's safe, I really want something to evaluate. Maybe 3 games of sitting, 2 of light duty, and 3 starting?

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am And for all the consternation about Jenkins' arm length and how that could negatively impact him at LT...Borom's are nearly identical (he does have bigger hands though).
Yes, but I'd say Borom is still a good ways away from proving he's fine at T.

Right now we have 2 young lineman with slightly to moderately suboptimal physique for T, who were both considered possible G moves. One is off to a mildly promising start, one is off to a very discouraging start.