My two HC guys for next year

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Eriebear
Journeyman

Kellen Moore - It's gonna happen sooner than later for him to be a HC . Not for nothing is Dallas leading in so many Offense Category's . He already has had a few teams look at him. I think him and Lazor could get along.
Brain Daboll - GREAT coach for a young QB . His background fills all the boxes .
I'm not saying expect miracles , but either one would be a step in the right direction w/ a young QB .
Still trying to find a new GM who would help too .
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Kellen Moore has too many shades of Matt Nagy to me. Very good QB, good offense in general, with a head coach known for offense. He even has a second former head coach as his offensive line coach.

Brian Daboll I wouldn't be upset with, but he's not my top choices. That would be Greg Roman or Jim Harbaugh. Altho I don't think Harbaugh is realistic.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I honestly don't even know what I want. Except I don't want a focus on only one side of the ball.

And I don't really want the Reid tree, but I know that's just negative recency bias speaking and I should be just fine if they went Bieniemy.

Of course the big Q is which GM is conducting the search.
UOK
Site Admin

Daboll would be my pick, I guess, but speculating is a bit premature.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

If they decide part with Pace I'm also kind of leaning towards wanting the Bellichek/Carroll role. Hire a head coach and let them build out the football ops. Give them the money and years and let them run it. One less decision for McCaskey and Phillips (and I hopefully never have to hear the word collaboration again lol)
Umbali
MVP

I wouldnt mind Daboll or Roman. I did want Harbaugh a few years ago although now I am not 100% sure why. Those that want Harbaugh please give some reasons. Yes he went to SB with Kap. He is an ex Bear. Kind of hardnosed..ok. His college stint is very underwhelming.

I think Bienemy is the same as Nagy. Does he call plays in KC? Cus Nagy only called 5 games I think. To me it doesnt matter who the HC is if our GM cant fix our oline.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Harbaugh- he turned Alex smith from a bust to all pro in one season, then made kaepernick viable after that. Meaning he can morph an offense to player strengths, always had solid defenses as well. I think he is a 5 year max at one spot coach. As far as Michigan goes he got them back to being in the conversation again.

Alex smith prior to Harbaugh, ratings of 40, 75, 57, 81, 82. With Harbaugh 90 and 104.

He has a 0.690 winning percentage in the nfl and 0.625 in the playoffs.
Umbali
MVP

Watching Peyton and Eli on ESPN. Lets offer Peyton the GM and HC job. He can do it lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

Why are people not high on Byron Leftwich? Arians and Brady praise him non-stop. Arians says he doesn't even enter the offensive meetings - it's all Leftwich.

Bring in Leftwich AND Chris Godwin. And you know what? Steal Antonio Brown from them too.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Roman or Leftwich if we are looking for the hot ticket offensive guy.

Joe Woods of Matt Eberflus if we are looking for an up and coming defensive guy.

Todd Bowles or Harbaugh (maybe) if we are looking for the experienced guy.

Matt Campbell or Ryan Day if we are looking for college guys.

Nathaniel Hackett, Joe Brady, DeMeco Ryans, or Kevin O’Connell if we are looking at under the radar/outside of the box guys

Daboll... I'm lukewarm on. I don't know what it is about him that gives me pause. Same with Kellen Moore.
wab
Mod

Another thing...

Mike Tomlin might be on his way out of Pittsburgh. I'd be cool with him too.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Why not warm on Daboll? Isn't he the best example of the "not a system guy" there is? Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air - a guy who builds to his players strengths.

I'm probably not as high as some - it's not like he's a slam dunk, but there's a lot to like. Brings a nice depth of experience as well. Spent time under Belicheck and Saban as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 am Daboll... I'm lukewarm on. I don't know what it is about him that gives me pause. Same with Kellen Moore.
My best friend is a die hard Bills fan, said the players LOVE Daboll. Genuinely good guy that knows offense.

He did express concern that he may not look or sound good in front of a microphone (not saying this matters, but he shared it).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 am Another thing...

Sounds like he has a contract through 2024. Pittsburgh ain't going to just let him force his way out. Would probably require compensation, which I don't think would be smart - NFL coach/exec comp has historically been stiff (unlike baseball where you just throw a couple A ball lotto tickets away).
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:21 am
wab wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 am Another thing...

Sounds like he has a contract through 2024. Pittsburgh ain't going to just let him force his way out. Would probably require compensation, which I don't think would be smart - NFL coach/exec comp has historically been stiff (unlike baseball where you just throw a couple A ball lotto tickets away).
I'm sure he has off-sets in his contract.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:21 am

Offsets aren't the issue.

Unless Pittsburgh wants to part ways as well, but him wanting out will be moot if not.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:42 am
G08 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am

Unless Pittsburgh wants to part ways as well, but him wanting out will be moot if not.
Yes, it is rumored to be a mutual parting. I don't know how much weight there is behind it, but it's out there.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:59 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:42 am

Yes, it is rumored to be a mutual parting. I don't know how much weight there is behind it, but it's out there.
Hadn't heard anything. Still Pitt would be smart to hold off and see if they can get some trade compensation. They still hold the upper hand really.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Daboll - has 5 SB rings so has experience with winning cultures. Fixes Josh Allen so he's become one of the best QBs in the league. Has a 'mad bomber' mentality of airing it deep often but recognizes the need for a strong run game.

Roman - turned Baltimore's TEs into the most lethal group in the league when he was TE coach. Completely revised their offense from a bomber mentality under Flacco to one working with the strengths of Jackson.

Shanahan might be out in SF, there's some friction there and angst over the way the team has regressed the past few years. What could he do with Fields? Tomlin, if he and Pittsburgh divorce, is a defensive guy who hires the best offense coordinator and is hands off. Ariens worked under him when Ben was so effective; he would be an interesting choice.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just no college coaches. Their success rate is low and do not even want to go thru that. College coach with the lack of all around talent and game breakers does not spell success IMO.

I have no clues, no favorites because, they come here and .............Bears.
wab
Mod

If Kyle Shanahan somehow ends up getting bounced from the Niners (in what would be a colossal mistake on the Niners part), the Bears should move mountains to get him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am If Kyle Shanahan somehow ends up getting bounced from the Niners (in what would be a colossal mistake on the Niners part), the Bears should move mountains to get him.
I've long loved Shanahan, but I feel like I need a good recap of his time in SF and why I should ignore it. Because the results showed up in 1 season and that's it.
karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:11 am Why are people not high on Byron Leftwich? Arians and Brady praise him non-stop. Arians says he doesn't even enter the offensive meetings - it's all Leftwich.

Bring in Leftwich AND Chris Godwin. And you know what? Steal Antonio Brown from them too.
I am. Was just thinking about him when I hit your post.

Specifically, I like the fact that he's not entirely a football lifer. Had his own things going on for four or five years after retiring as a player, and had to be talked into returning as a coach. Don't know if there's anything to it, but everything we hear about the guy suggests that he's loaded with executive skills that transcend systems and theories. That's HC stuff. Boring, but guys like that facilitate the cool stuff in a way that the Kid Genius OCs struggle to.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ryan Day
Jim Harbaugh
dplank
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:13 pm
IE wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:11 am Why are people not high on Byron Leftwich? Arians and Brady praise him non-stop. Arians says he doesn't even enter the offensive meetings - it's all Leftwich.

I am. Was just thinking about him when I hit your post.

Specifically, I like the fact that he's not entirely a football lifer. Had his own things going on for four or five years after retiring as a player, and had to be talked into returning as a coach. Don't know if there's anything to it, but everything we hear about the guy suggests that he's loaded with executive skills that transcend systems and theories. That's HC stuff. Boring, but guys like that facilitate the cool stuff in a way that the Kid Genius OCs struggle to.
There's a chance if we got a guy like Leftwich or Daboll that they'd keep Desai as DC. That would be nice.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Leftowich has been successful at Tampa. It's easy to say anyone would with Brady as their QB but he's earned high praise for his play calling.

I have to start wondering, especially after the clown show which Chicago has become, how attractive the job is. It's the 2nd biggest market, the original NFL team but so much negative press about ownership and management. A great candidate will be attractive to other teams and might not want the baggage. Overriding that is there are only 32 such jobs in the world.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:21 pm Leftowich has been successful at Tampa. It's easy to say anyone would with Brady as their QB but he's earned high praise for his play calling.

I have to start wondering, especially after the clown show which Chicago has become, how attractive the job is. It's the 2nd biggest market, the original NFL team but so much negative press about ownership and management. A great candidate will be attractive to other teams and might not want the baggage. Overriding that is there are only 32 such jobs in the world.
I honestly don't believe the press is as bad as you believe. Every local market drags their owners in times like these and makes them out to be the worst.

I suppose the fate of Pace/new GM is likely the big question. Either Pace has to have a very big and public show of support or it has to be a new GM. If those criteria are met, and with Fields to develop and a still strong D, I think they could be the top destination this cycle.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Agree. Historically, the only missed chances we've had a hiring coaches have occurred because we bungled the selection - not because we weren't a favored destination. These coaches are humans and the biggest football nerds you can imagine, the opportunity to coach a team like Chicago is very, very special to them. Others in this category include: Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, probably a few more. Not saying the talent/situation doesn't matter, but these guys absolutely value the iconic nature that we would offer. We have Fields, so that's probably enough to get whoever we want.
Artbest
Player of the Month

IMO Daboll HAS to be priority 1 - he's been Josh Allen's OC from day 1. Allen was a mess when he arrived in Buffalo - not so much now. After him? Kellen Moore is intriguing - particularly what he's doing with Dak - it's his offense, not McCarthy's.

Leftwich? I get what Arians is saying - but it's still his offense...and this success coming with Tom Brady and an elite set of weapons.

Harbaugh? I think George calls him - I believe the family likes him. Not sure he'll make the move, but I think this is call #1 IF Nagy is whacked.
GSH
MVP

Id like to hire Harbaugh but its the McCaskeys so we probably promote Pettine, despite appointing Tabor as interim while Nagy's got the rona. That's the cheapest coaching hire i can imagine.