Bye Week Hijinx

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So it’s the Bye Week.

What do you do instead of watching the Bears?

For me right now even spending time with my in-laws (Lord save me from that day.) seems appealing by comparison. Ok not really.

I’ve got to catch up on Liverpool games in the Premier League. Just watched the game against Manchester United so I’m a couple behind.

Call Of Duty came out. Maybe. Although Vanguard is nothing special. The franchise peaked at Modern Warfare 2.

OMG the Bulls are fantastic. I could watch a Bulls game or two.

spudbear
MVP

Umm, rake leaves? Good healthy manly exercise, builds up the pecs.

San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

Headed to a friend’s lake house for the weekend. Nothing too terribly exciting. In-laws were just here house sitting while we were in Mexico so I feel your pain.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:28 am Headed to a friend’s lake house for the weekend. Nothing too terribly exciting. In-laws were just here house sitting while we were in Mexico so I feel your pain.
Yeah we got the invite to my Sister-In-Laws house for Thanksgiving yesterday.

There’s really no point in even trying to spin it. It’s a Death March for me. My big things are gonna be show up with Starbucks for myself to troll them because they love that and always bitch I never bring them any. Then if the or-dervs (that plate with the cheese and shit) are out I need to get to it before her dog does.

I’m the only Combat Age Male there. If I’m lucky my wife’s cousin shows up but who knows. I’ll have my cellphone.

Friendsgiving is coming up at a fishing buddies house. Now that’ll be something.

For my family we go out to Ruth’s Chris usually on Black Friday.
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

Today, I'm brewing and drinking beer and firing up the smoker, with an open invite to local friends, vets and otherwise, to drop by if they're in the mood.

This weekend, I'll probably play poker, play some music, and still catch whatever game piques my interest on Sunday.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Starting Pilates…it’s time (thx Yogi!)
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I might dust off the Xbox and try out the new Battlefield 2042. Probably head down to Tucson and help my dad out with some if his house projects. Other than that, just get outside and enjoy the AZ fall weather.
malk
Head Coach

Incidental to it being bye week tbh but I'm off down to London for a visit and to get a game with my old rugby club. So I'll probably be getting a train back north with a cast on some limb or other...

But either way, whenever I visit for a weekend I try and catch up with my old university mates, old workmates and my old rugby club. It's a nightmare to fit in and they're all big drinking groups so I'm going to be in a world of pain afterwards with the prospect of a lovely booze come down the week after.

Nice problems to have though!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:27 am Umm, rake leaves? Good healthy manly exercise, builds up the pecs.

Have a leaf blower and mulcing mower. But I'm going to let the leaves sit on the lawn all winter, I'll get them next Spring. This weekend: hours and hours of getting it on with the wife....yeah sure.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
UOK
Site Admin

Going to Chicago to see Alkaline Trio and hang out with my in-laws for a hot minute. Any weekend without Bears football is generally a good one.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hopefully the weather cooperates and get a long ride in Sunday. Saturday watching Arkansas-LSU and cooking on the grill.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Stay home and spoil my elderly hunting dogs - maybe keep track of the Vikings since we still get to play them twice.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
IE
Hall of Famer

I have a lot of work to do around the house. After spray-painting the entire ceiling 2 weeks ago (bare joists and ducts and pipe and such) I really need to get started on drywalling the walls in the great room in the basement. I gutted the entire 2300 square foot basement when we bought the place and re-did all the framing over a new vapor barrier and french drain system I had installed. I already framed out a utility room and a big storage room/workshop area. Then finished a big bedroom down there and have a full bath framed out plumbed, wired & ready to tile. So the great room space is last & biggest. It's about a 1200 square foot space, and ultimately will be my man-cave with a super-large screen, all my vintage audio stuff and a bar area that my wife and I are still trying to design. Sweat equity.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my football Sunday doesn't change much with no Bears game ... will still be watching football and doing laundry ... the multi-game screen on DirecTV is great if there isn't a specific game I want to see
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Have neighborhood birthday party I have to go to night before so probably sleep in a bit. Go for a long run as I normally do that Saturday but have a charity golf tournament that day.

Mess around outside for a bit and just check games that interest me for fantasy periodically.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
karhu
Head Coach

Got a new mower ten days or so ago, and it's rained ever since. With luck, I'll get out there.

Other than that, I'll just relax, run around with my boys, and try not to work more than 10 hours or so. Might not turn on the tv at all except to watch the new season of South Side.

Oh, who am I kidding? First three episodes are up, so here I go.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Busy weekend.

Saturday 8a - drinks some beers with a buddy whose last shift as a fire fighter ends at 7a.
1030 - visitation
1100 - granddaughters bball game
100 - finish working on my porch (new floor and skirting)
300? - hopefully start on the leaves. Probably got them at least 4" deep in the yard. I have 4 trees that empty into my backyard

Sunday 9a - road trip to Cambridge, IL to salvage store to check it out. Then road trip to Geneseo, IL to eat at this little diner that has off the hook breakfasts. After I get home probably back to the leaves and hopefully get in some work on some beer caddies I am making.
Last edited by Otis Day on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Player of the Month

I ain't doing shit.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:02 pm I have a lot of work to do around the house. After spray-painting the entire ceiling 2 weeks ago (bare joists and ducts and pipe and such) I really need to get started on drywalling the walls in the great room in the basement. I gutted the entire 2300 square foot basement when we bought the place and re-did all the framing over a new vapor barrier and french drain system I had installed. I already framed out a utility room and a big storage room/workshop area. Then finished a big bedroom down there and have a full bath framed out plumbed, wired & ready to tile. So the great room space is last & biggest. It's about a 1200 square foot space, and ultimately will be my man-cave with a super-large screen, all my vintage audio stuff and a bar area that my wife and I are still trying to design. Sweat equity.
I got tired just reading this list of work.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 am Busy weekend.

Saturday 8a - drinks some beers with a buddy who last shift as a fire fighter ends at 7a.
1030 - visitation
1100 - granddaughters bball game
100 - finish working on my porch (new floor and skirting)
300? - hopefully start on the leaves. Probably got them at least 4" deep in the yard. I have 4 trees that empty into my backyard

Sunday 9a - road trip to Cambridge, IL to salvage store to check it out. Then road trip to Geneseo, IL to eat at this little diner that has off the hook breakfasts. After I get home probably back to the leaves and hopefully get in some work on some beer caddies I am making.
One thing I don't miss about living up north is the Fall leaf cleanup deal - and snow/ice. Living in the tropics is just great this time of year, all the way through Easter. Nothing dies here, perpetually green jungle. 70's to low 80's and dry, damn near every day. The only downside is all the new yorkers and Quebec folks that invade our towns for the season. One deep frost to kill off some of these iguanas would be nice.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Raking leaves is something I hate more than most other outdoor work. I would rather shovel snow than rake leaves. I spent some extra cash and had Leaf Filters put on my upper gutters. I can blow out the lower ones.

Getting some sleet/snow shit going on at the moment. that is not going to help the raking or blowing one bit.

I am kind of a strange bird, I like winter. I like snow and I can take temps to a low of 10.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 am Raking leaves is something I hate more than most other outdoor work. I would rather shovel snow than rake leaves. I spent some extra cash and had Leaf Filters put on my upper gutters. I can blow out the lower ones.
I never understood the point of raking leaves growing up. Now I just put my lawnmower on the mulch setting and run them over. They feed the lawn and I don't need to spend anymore time than it takes to cut the grass to get rid of them.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I hate trees. Nothing but problems.

I don’t have any on my property. I had a couple huge ones when I bought the place but I had them chopped down.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I mulch some but at the moment my backyard is covered 4" deep, at least, with leaves. At times I blow the leaves up against the fence and pick them up in the spring.

It is fucking snowing here right now, that will not help. It will just make the leaves wet, heavier and not easily mulchable.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 am
Otis Day wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 am Raking leaves is something I hate more than most other outdoor work. I would rather shovel snow than rake leaves. I spent some extra cash and had Leaf Filters put on my upper gutters. I can blow out the lower ones.
I never understood the point of raking leaves growing up. Now I just put my lawnmower on the mulch setting and run them over. They feed the lawn and I don't need to spend anymore time than it takes to cut the grass to get rid of them.
Me, either.

Never successfully convinced my dad of that, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
otis
Pro Bowler

Hunting and high school football playoffs. Rake the front yard of leaves. Leave the back yard since no one sees it but me.
docc
Head Coach

Cactus don't shed leaves...
GSH
MVP

UOK wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:55 am Going to Chicago to see Alkaline Trio and hang out with my in-laws for a hot minute. Any weekend without Bears football is generally a good one.
small world! Skiba's a friend of mine
dplank
Hall of Famer

Goddamnit
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Didn't touch the leaves - wet and windy.'

Got my porch done (thank the Lord).

Built a little bench for my old neighbor woman. Finished a beer caddie for a buddy. Cleaned the garage so the car will fit in .

No road trip today.