Jeff Bezos & The Bears?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yes it's Sports Mockery. Almost like the Ancient Aliens of sports reporting.

Just let me have this fantasy until next offseason when we have a new HC and GM.

But there's a rumor Jeff Bezos is interested in buying the Bears.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... new-owner/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Not a fan of Jeff Bezos to be honest. He’s have to be a completely hands off owner for me.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

I hate Bezos, but I hate the McCaskeys so kind of a wash. But Bezos would bring ungodly money to the table.
Xee
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:21 pm I hate Bezos, but I hate the McCaskeys so kind of a wash. But Bezos would bring ungodly money to the table.
That money would not overcome my dislike of him. Really hope there's nothing to this rumor.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

I'd take Bezos over what currently stinks up Halas, in a heart beat.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I find people's hatred of Bezos miss placed. I am not a huge fan for reasons I doubt most people are. He did revolutionize the market place, and I'm pretty sure we all use his services. Amazon is super convenient. Is the guy an asshole? I dont think I would like him but my Visa wouldn't buy his appetizer order.

I dont really have a well formed opinion on what type of person I would like to own the Bears. I could be an elitist fuck, or a down home family person as long as they end the despair.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:17 pm I dont really have a well formed opinion on what type of person I would like to own the Bears. I could be an elitist fuck, or a down home family person as long as they end the despair.
Yep, this is exactly where I am.^^
Artbest
Player of the Month

I highly doubt there’s any truth to this
UOK
Site Admin

There's dots, but connecting them means a lot of mental gymnastics that I don't necessarily buy.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I guess my question is, what would make an owner likeable? At this point in time I don't think anyone could do much worse than the McCaskeys. IMO, you get someone who really wants to own something, they usually (exclude Daniel Snyder) put forth good effort and hire the right people to be successful.

I doubt the McCaskeys ever sell so these stories are mute anyway.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just as long as he's not a Stephen Ross-Daniel Snyder type of owner. My question is would he try to build the Bears a stadium in outer space?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

That'd be a lot of traveling just to watch the astro-refs hand the game to the space Packers.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I doubt the mccaskeys ever sell.
dave99
Assistant Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:40 pm I doubt the mccaskeys ever sell.
It's possible . When Virginia goes to her reward they may be looking at a killer tax bill coupled with a stepped up basis that would make a sale attractive if not necessary.
They will also need cash for the owners share of the new stadium.
As for Bezos, he may not be very likable but he is a world class, balls to the wall businessman with a proven track record of investing for success.
He will not tolerate mediocrity and drone wistfully about collegiality.
Plus Blue Origin Stadium has a ring to do it.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Was probably just a generic bald guy there. Hell considering the source, maybe it was just Lambert who showed up.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There's ways to avoid a killer inheritance tax bill. There are also a lot of vehicles for the Bears to obtain funding without dipping into family funds too much. But from what I've read, a lot of the grandkids are wanting to sell sooner than later. I don't know, though, if they'd be able to force a sale. I believe she doesn't own a majority of stock but controls 80%.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:11 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:40 pm I doubt the mccaskeys ever sell.
It's possible . When Virginia goes to her reward they may be looking at a killer tax bill coupled with a stepped up basis that would make a sale attractive if not necessary.
As for Bezos, he may not be very likable but he is a world class, balls to the wall businessman with a proven track record of investing for success.
Bezos is the exact kind of guy that needs to buy the team.

His ego will not tolerate being associated with a loser. That same ego will also allow for the Arlington Heights development to look great.

And Bezos doesn't need to know a damn thing about football or running a football team.

The person he HIRES to run the Bears will need to know that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:46 am Bezos is the exact kind of guy that needs to buy the team.

His ego will not tolerate being associated with a loser. That same ego will also allow for the Arlington Heights development to look great.

And Bezos doesn't need to know a damn thing about football or running a football team.

Bingo

the Bears would be just another investment for him, which he will care about and care for, but not need to be the hands on person running the team and most likely would have no desire to do so
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Money isn't the issue with the Franchise

I know we all know the Halas he throws nickels around like manhole covers quote - but the team spends $$

It just hasn't always done so wisely - Bezos doesn't get to go over the Cap
Artbest
Player of the Month

Jeff Bezos isn’t buying the bears. He likely wasn’t actually spotted at Halas Hall.

IF he were to buy the bears, he’d be able to build a new stadium from petty cash
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:51 pm Money isn't the issue with the Franchise

I know we all know the Halas he throws nickels around like manhole covers quote - but the team spends $$

It just hasn't always done so wisely - Bezos doesn't get to go over the Cap
This.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Don’t like Bezos but someone that understands business and putting knowledgeable people in charge based on what they’ve done in other areas would be a welcome change. Franchise wants to emulate the Steelers with continuity but we don’t have people at the top who have put the right people in place to say a bad year is just inevitable over a long period of time.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:46 am
dave99 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Bingo. I also agree that the McKnuckleheads will never sell. So this conversation doesn't matter.

What's weird for me is... I really appreciate that Green Bay is owned by the community. That said, there's now (likely unserious) discussion about the city of Chicago purchasing the Bears. Could you imagine that? One of the rare ways Bears owner ship could get significantly worse being talked about. Just shoot me if that happens.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:46 am

Bingo. I also agree that the McKnuckleheads will never sell. So this conversation doesn't matter.

What's weird for me is... I really appreciate that Green Bay is owned by the community. That said, there's now (likely unserious) discussion about the city of Chicago purchasing the Bears. Could you imagine that? One of the rare ways Bears owner ship could get significantly worse being talked about. Just shoot me if that happens.
The NFL won't allow the city to purchase the team. Green Bays ownership structure was grandfathered in.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 am
Mikefive wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 am Bingo. I also agree that the McKnuckleheads will never sell. So this conversation doesn't matter.

The NFL won't allow the city to purchase the team. Green Bays ownership structure was grandfathered in.
The City of Chicago can't even run itself. They don't even deserve to have the Bears in the city let alone try and run an NFL team.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The thing about real big money is it transcends the cap. You are able to spend so much money in so many other areas that your players benefit beyond just salary and your org functions without limitations. I was in a meeting with Steve Bisciotti talking about a scouting system/analytics project and he said he’d spend 10M to successfully ID a role player.

I credit the McCaskeys for upgrading Halas Hall, that was sorely needed and the type of spending I’m talking about - not salary cap limited in any way.
dave99
Assistant Coach

To be clear, I was not trying to suggest that Bezos would spend more than the McCaskey's. My point was that the family may find themselves cash strapped following Virginia's passing, especially combined with the burden of building a new stadium. It is possible that the right to build is worth more to the current owners than obligations associated with construction. At least in the short term.
They may have to sell or at least, following a mark to market valuation, decide this is their best opportunity.
Whether he spends more or not, I do think it is likely he will deploy those dollars more wisely, and find executives that know how to build and run an NFL franchise.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:44 am
The City of Chicago can't even run itself. They don't even deserve to have the Bears in the city let alone try and run an NFL team.
Oh their fiscal crisis, taxation, corruption etc... I think Chicago has proven you can bleed a turnip for a little while at least.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

He wouldn't buy the Bears because he needs revenue to make a living... he'd be buying it to win the damn superbowl. A huge step up from what we have now.
wab
Mod

I'm to the point right now where the devil himself could crawl out of the ground and buy the Bears and I'd be perfectly happy with it.