Justin Fields Injury

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 am So have Fields go out there and do what? For what reason?
Learn, grow, and develop? Remember, the only thing that mattered for this season according to most Bears fans was Fields development. The season being over doesn't change that at all IMO.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 am I honestly don't know if I want Fields to play another down this season.

Yes it helps his development. I don't argue the merits of that whole discussion.

But for what?

The season is fucked.
The team is fucked.
The head coach is fucked.

So have Fields go out there and do what? For what reason? IDK.
This.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 am I honestly don't know if I want Fields to play another down this season.

Yes it helps his development. I don't argue the merits of that whole discussion.

But for what?

The season is fucked.
The team is fucked.
The head coach is fucked.

So have Fields go out there and do what? For what reason? IDK.
This.
Even in these less-than-optimum circumstances, Fields can still gain beneficial experience against real-time NFL competition.

No matter what our hopes and expectations are, next year's situation will not be perfect either.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:03 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:25 am So have Fields go out there and do what? For what reason?
Learn, grow, and develop? Remember, the only thing that mattered for this season according to most Bears fans was Fields development. The season being over doesn't change that at all IMO.
But he'll be learning from the Village Idiot (Spoiler Alert: Matt Nagy) who is about a month or so away from being fired.

I know the speed of the game and all that. I don't argue it.

I just don't know.

Why do I want Barney Fife teaching my new deputy how to shoot?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 am I think I’d have Fields in there when he’s healthy because most of the players will still be here next season and he needs to develop an understanding with them.
Mooney, Kmet, Herbert, Monty - they’ll all be on the offense next season, that’s as close to guaranteed as it gets.
He needs the gamecraft that only comes from facing NFL defenses. I’m talking timing and decision making. Extending plays all come from facing elite defenses.

He has a free hit, the season is done, there are 5 games to go. There is nothing to lose but a lot to learn.
Yeah, live reps are more valuable than practice reps. Fields had no work during the off and pre seasons with the first team players, so any he gets now will hopefully benefit him and them going into next season. The top offenses in the league have developed such great chemistry between the QB and his teammates that they know instinctively how to connect even when everything isn't perfect. That only comes with time and reps.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure how many of these WR will be here next year. And chemistry with Kmet might not actually be a positive.

He also seemingly he gotten an injury in like 20-30% of the games hes played (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE)

The one thing I definitely think - those practice reps should largely be his in any scenario
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears QB Justin Fields (ribs) medically cleared to play, will start vs. Packers

Justin Fields is back in the driver's seat for the Chicago Bears.

Coach Matt Nagy announced Wednesday that Fields has been medically cleared and will start Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-qb-justi ... vs-packers
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm
Bears QB Justin Fields (ribs) medically cleared to play, will start vs. Packers

Justin Fields is back in the driver's seat for the Chicago Bears.

Coach Matt Nagy announced Wednesday that Fields has been medically cleared and will start Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-qb-justi ... vs-packers
Good! I don't care about Nagy or any of the receivers other than Mooney but live reps are live reps and all players need them. Plus this isn't just any game, Bears vs Pack is about as close as you can get to playoff stakes in a regular season game and I'm here for it (despite the fact we're going to get smashed).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
spudbear
MVP

Good news, as we'll get to see something a little more entertaining than Dalton dealing dinks. It does come at a price of having to hear the moronic Collinsworth comments. And yes, game reps will help the development of JF1. I do wonder if the NFL was urging the Bears to have their prize rookie playing on prime time.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
WP.1
Player of the Month

me just begin writing.
Last games Lamar Jackson not good. He is taking quite a lot of hits.

this moment now last play injury. Maybe out of game.
docc
Head Coach

Yep//
Running Qbs eventually have hits and shortened careers i think.. Just use them sparingly in runs.. Lamar is a Major part of Balts run game..
NFL..Not For Long
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well Fields is going to play tonight and is going to take possession of Lambeau
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Justin Fields has ankle injury, Bears hopeful he can play Sunday

The most valuable part of the Bears’ remaining season will be giving rookie quarterback Justin Fields as much game action as possible.

“Every rep he gets is gonna help him grow to become a great quarterback,” Nagy said.

Wednesday, though, those reps came into question.

The Bears made Fields a limited participant in practice, despite it being merely an indoor walk-through at the Walter Payton Center. The reason: Fields hurt his ankle in the second quarter of Monday night’s game against the Vikings.

”When you’re playing in the game, you’ve got a bunch of adrenaline going on …” Fields said. “So, that’s when I first felt it but I was still good enough to play through it. Of course, it got worse after the game and the next morning. But it felt better [Wednesday] morning. …

“Right now, I’m expecting to play, but it’s really day-by-day.”

Nagy reiterated that he didn’t think Fields would miss the Seahawks game.

“Obviously, he played through it [Monday],” Nagy said. “So now we’ve just gotta see how it goes and see where he’s at the rest of the week.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... -matt-nagy
G08
Hall of Famer

I said it ad nauseum in the Discord chat, but he takes soooooooooo many unnecessary fucking hits.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

“Every rep he gets is gonna help him grow to become a great quarterback,” Nagy said.
Ummmm, Fuck you Matt. How does this not make everyone’s blood boil????? This is the same guy that insisted Dalton get all the starter prep, practice in camp and was supposed to play all year. What happened to “the best way to grow him is to have him sit and learn”???? And why would you say last week that Peters is your LT when healthy instead of Teven, does his growth not matter?? Which is it Matt??

So many of us said this from Day 1 - EVERY REP HE GETS WILL HELP HIM GROW. Plainly obvious, but Nagy. He has no ethos, he’s just a glorified copycat that doesn’t know wtf he’s doing.
Z Bear
MVP

What did you expect dp? Nagy knew he was fighting for his job and in his eyes Dalton gave him the best chance to win early in the season. Fields is getting better but is still making rookie mistakes that need to be coached out him. Pairing a lame duck coach and a rookie QB is never a good mix.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dalton threw 4 INTs his last start so…..are they ALL rookie mistakes or does his offense blow?

The point here is regardless of how you think a rookie is best developed, Nagy has botched it. If you believe they grow best by sitting and learning, then fine. You’re wrong IMO, but fine if that’s what you believe then fucking do it. He didn’t. If you believe they learn best by playing, then fine do what Jax, NY, and NE did and give him starter reps in camp and let him play. He didn’t do that either. He claimed he wanted him to sit and learn all season, ok, why would that be the case if he also apparently believes that he needs every rep “to grow and become a great quarterback”?? And why wouldn’t he, as of just last week, apply similar thinking to Teven Jenkins when asked if he’d play over Peters for the rest of the year?

The guy is all over the place. That’s what happens when you have no actual skill and have made your career mimicking others. You have no base beliefs to lean on and everything appears scattershot.

Why is he still employed????? We are eliminated there is no reason to continue this charade.
Last edited by dplank on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I counted to 7 on one of Fields long sacks.

I can't put that on Nagy
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am I counted to 7 on one of Fields long sacks.

I can't put that on Nagy
I counted to 4 on the number of INT's that Dalton threw. I can't put that on Nagy. Care to address the actual point here? We all want to develop Fields, that is the org's #1 goal. If you believe that's by sitting him, then sit him. If you believe that's by playing him, then give him the reps in preseason and play him. Nagy has waffled and it exposes his lack of conviction on anything, because he's just a copy cat who doesn't have any actual convictions of his own.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:42 am
RichH55 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am I counted to 7 on one of Fields long sacks.

I can't put that on Nagy
I counted to 4 on the number of INT's that Dalton threw. I can't put that on Nagy. Care to address the actual point here? We all want to develop Fields, that is the org's #1 goal. If you believe that's by sitting him, then sit him. If you believe that's by playing him, then give him the reps in preseason and play him. Nagy has waffled and it exposes his lack of conviction on anything, because he's just a copy cat who doesn't have any actual convictions of his own.
Well if you are putting the Kmet one on Dalton AT ALL - then you are doing it wrong. Or perhaps the Rodney Adams drop ? First pick - although a tip was IMHO All on Dalton - it was a badly thrown ball.

I go back and forth on the DL INT. Ultimately its absolutely on Dalton (absolutely none on Nagy there) - but I kind of want to credit the DL making a great play? Is that allowed? No? Cool.

But again if the Kmet thing happened to Fields - you'd say it doesn't count (like when Nick Foles got sacked behind a Bad OL game) and petitioning the league to take it off his permanent record

Aside from it being 1 game sample size - which I do know is one of your favorite things

I don't think Nagy is all that great - Nor Andy Dalton

Why is Fields holding the ball too long their fault? Care to address that actual point there?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Also - You guys know the "every rep" matters thing is a bit of a cliche.

Like if Fields got 55 Reps in practice rather than 58 - It really doesn't actually matter

0 Reps? Ok. Fair.

But there is an easy middle ground on developing the kid too
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 am
dplank wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:42 am

Well if you are putting the Kmet one on Dalton AT ALL - then you are doing it wrong. Or perhaps the Rodney Adams drop ? First pick - although a tip was IMHO All on Dalton - it was a badly thrown ball.

I go back and forth on the DL INT. Ultimately its absolutely on Dalton (absolutely none on Nagy there) - but I kind of want to credit the DL making a great play? Is that allowed? No? Cool.

But again if the Kmet thing happened to Fields - you'd say it doesn't count (like when Nick Foles got sacked behind a Bad OL game) and petitioning the league to take it off his permanent record

Aside from it being 1 game sample size - which I do know is one of your favorite things

I don't think Nagy is all that great - Nor Andy Dalton

Why is Fields holding the ball too long their fault? Care to address that actual point there?
Oh boy, old Rich is back. Not getting pulled into the mud, bye!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Fair enough - I certainly do not want to make it personal - so you do you

7 Seconds is pretty solid for Bull Riding- Not so much for holding onto the ball as an NFL QB. I wouldn't try and explain why that isn't a negative either

Holding onto the ball too long- Reading NFL Defenses (with a side of taking too many hits?) Are the biggest worries on Fields right now.

For folks who haven't already put the Ferrari in the Hall of Fame that is.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From the Sun Times:
Bears quarterback Justin Fields did not practice Thursday after being limited in Wednesday’s practice — an apparent step back in his recovery from an ankle injury he suffered against the Vikings that puts his status for Sunday’s game against the Seahawks further in doubt.

Andy Dalton returned from the reserve/COVID-19 list Thursday and practiced in full.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... id-19-list
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears quarterback Justin Fields did not practice Thursday after being limited in Wednesday’s practice — an apparent step back in his recovery from an ankle injury he suffered against the Vikings that puts his status for Sunday’s game against the Seahawks further in doubt.

Andy Dalton returned from the reserve/COVID-19 list Thursday and practiced in full.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... id-19-list

Dang it.

I wanted a Nick Foles/Ryan Willis tandem.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:29 am Dang it.

I wanted a Nick Foles/Ryan Willis tandem.
Your Christmas wish has come true Moriarty!
Bears will start QB Nick Foles vs. Seahawks, Justin Fields questionable with ankle injury

Bears coach Matt Nagy didn’t seem too concerned about quarterback Justin Fields’ ankle early in the week. He said he expected him to play Sunday against the Seahawks and portrayed scaling back his work in practice during the week as simply a precaution.

Turns out it was quite a bit cloudier than that, and Fields is likely to miss the game.

The Bears will start third-stringer Nick Foles against the Seahawks, and practice-squad quarterback Ryan Willis most likely will back him up.

Nagy said Friday that Fields would be available off the bench if he proves healthy enough in pre-game warmups, but specified that would be as an “emergency” option in case Willis doesn’t have a clear enough grasp of the playbook. Taking even the slightest risk with Fields wouldn’t make sense given that the Bears have nothing to play for in the standings.

Fields is officially listed as questionable against the Seahawks. The Bears also declared backup Andy Dalton out with non-throwing hand and groin injuries.

Foles has not played since Dec. 27 against the Jaguars.

The Bears signed Willis, 25, to their practice squad Dec. 18. He went undrafted out of Virginia Tech in 2020 and has never taken an NFL snap.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... act-rookie
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO BEARS FANS !!!!!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Foles is going to light it up
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:29 pm Foles is going to light it up
Not if Nagy can help it.
G08
Hall of Famer

This might be the nail in my 2021 coffin. Fucking hell.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS