Week 12 // Thanksgiving // Bears (3-7) @ Lions (0-9-1)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:25 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 am Bears inactives:

QB Justin Fields
RB Damien Williams
WR Allen Robinson
TE Jesper Horsted

DT Akiem Hicks
DL Mario Edwards (ribs)
CB Teez Tabor

Eddie Jackson is back. Goff is starting for the Lions.
Allen Robinson has a "hamstring" injury. He's on a franchise tag, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is just pissed off, and will end up with this nagging "injury" for the rest of the season. Someone is going to pay him next year, and he knows it.

I think he needs to be worried on his payday
dplank
Hall of Famer

So….we should still fire Nagy lol. Offense was basically the same shit show as it’s been under Fields. Dalton/Fields stat lines against Det are very close, nearly identical QBRs. 24 and 16 points, both wins. Dalton’s would have been lower if not for a very lucky dropped INT in the end zone, he should’ve had two of those yesterday. Generally looked bad offensively. Dalton plays with better tempo than Fields but was surprisingly inaccurate on a number of short throws and missing reads on his end zone turnover(s). He moved the ball some but it wasn’t like “oh wow look Nagys offense works now”, we scored 16 points and nearly lost to the winless Lions. Fire Nagy now, or wait till tomorrow if you feel boxed in George!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

"Now please fire his dumb a$$!"
When peoples minds are made up - either way - little to change it

Though I do like when people point out good things or bad things then ignore the other (Dropped INT counts, but not Dropped Passes)

That said - Dalton (on a Short week - if it were Fields this would be in all bold and would forgive many a sin) - NEEDS to score more points against a Lions squad there. No excuse for being under 20. None.

Also the Dalton and Fields stat lines were not particularly similar - They run different styles (Dalton had 24 Completions and Fields had 17 PASSES)

Robinson being out - Hurts yes. I know its Dalton in so we go into no excuse mode (can't ever be a middle ground) - But No Robinson hurts whomever is playing QB for the Bears. Grant and Goodwin seemed to be 2nd options

The running game was also working better against Lions previously(*******)

(******) FIELDS GETS CREDIT THERE. Running QB help the running back. Absolutely. It is one of the Good things about the ultra mobile QB
Artbest
Player of the Month

The second half offense, until the final drive, was inexcusably anemic - coming away with only 3 points against Detroit is bad - very bad.

That said, I thought Dalton, for the most part, did his job. He’s obviously a lot more efficient at this point than fields. Even with Robinson, the bear offense lacks explosive playmakers. Without Robinson, it’s pretty dire.
IE
Hall of Famer

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

I was yelling for him to high-five me but no... lol

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I thought it was nice of the Bears to turn back the clock for their Thanksgiving efforts ... back to sometime in the 70's when the most gracious comment that could be made about them was inept ... back to a time when the Bears and Lions routinely battled it out to see who was going to be at the bottom of the division

this almost loss to the Lions was befitting of those days gone by

ah, memories
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Those are nice vids IE thanks for sharing. I love end zone seats.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

End zone seats are great when the actions at your end, not so much when it's all down the other end.
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:00 pm End zone seats are great when the actions at your end, not so much when it's all down the other end.
Yeah - agreed. But the big screens they have at the stadiums now really help that. It's cool being so close to the action. We were on the side around the 30 a few years ago and even though you're down low it didn't feel as close. Turkey Day in the D is fun.
wab
Mod

I’ve been watching games all day and it amazes me that average WRs, even on bad teams, can still get open.

Why is Darnell Mooney the only Bears WR ever open?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really believe it’s Nagy / scheme more than anything else. It’s been this way his entire tenure.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I agree dplank. Nagy's scheme rarely appears to attack defenses at different levels. Pass plays in which all the WRs and TEs run straight up the field to the same depth before breaking seem commonplace and are easy for teams to defend especially if they're in zone. Other teams stress defenses by attacking at different levels with receivers running quick slants, swing passes to RBs instead of just using them as a last resort, attacking the middle of the field instead of just the sides etc. etc. It's little wonder there almost always seems to be at least one receiver getting open.
IE
Hall of Famer

I definitely blame Nagy. It seems weird that he has been recognized on occasion for creative play design... but then we're having this conversation.

But I think how that reconciles is while he has put some creative stuff out there that either did or clearly could have worked, more often than not his overall offensive design doesn't work because is it requires perfect timing and execution - which you mostly don't get in the NFL especially against teams that have really good players or coordinators who are good at disrupting your efforts.

People have commented & I agree that it seems like Nagy's offense doesn't accommodate a feedback loop from what is actually happening in the game, where in-game decisions and coaching is required to react and overcome challenges (or continue doing what has worked). I've commented and I believe many agree that he also then selects who plays by how he thinks they'll perform in his offense. So because of practice reps and experience he tends to not give less-practiced or less experienced players opportunities. He limits his own options through complexity. It comes across at stubbornness. That's what it is, actually.

Why is Mooney open? He might be better than I've been giving him credit for. I'm starting to re-think that. I'm starting to consider him sort of a poor man's Keenan Allen. Mooney is slightly faster deep but seems similar in his route running and reliability and short area quickness that enables him to get open. Regardless, the offense still sucks with Mooney getting all those touches and a long one or two every game.
Middleguard
MVP

Scores for game 11 predictions:
2 HurricaneBear
6 Artbest
8 dplank
18 Middleguard / Hema2.0
24 HisRoyalSweetness
26 IE
32 WagonForce
42 Mikefive
54 UOK
62 otis / G08
72 Bears Whiskey Nut
74 GSH / AZ_Bearfan
78 LacertineForest
86 pus
126 Otis Day
158 Grizzled
168 wab
182 The Marshall Plan
288 Boris13c
314 Ditka's dictaphone / spudbear
338 dave99 / Burl
344 RichH55
384 southdakbearfan
422 Atkins&Rebel

Duplicate predictions:
54 mshu7
86 Moriarty

BearsFanInMN, l8knight, mshu7, tjs, and WiNDycityfan all need 6 more predictions to qualify for my contest