Update: McCaskey addresses team - no Nagy firing after Thanksgiving

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I have no idea who that reporter even is, but I'd be happy if his report were true.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am I have no idea who that reporter even is, but I'd be happy if his report were true.
He's been covering news in Chicago for a long time, could be something could be nothing.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Curious if they bump Mike Pettine up into that role and hand the offense over to Lazor fully. Maybe they hand the offense over to Flip (Pettine and he have a history).

mshu7
Pro Bowler

670 The Score is reporting this as well.

Now we just gotta hope Pace is sent packing along with him.
-Shu
dplank
Hall of Famer

This would make me really happy, it would show urgency from the McCaskets that I haven't seen before. It sends a message to the team, everyone should be on edge and fight for their pay next year. And for the players that we want to keep here, I think they'll be happy to see that change is coming. I truly believe this team stopped believing in Nagy quite some time ago. He's a fraud, a copycat guy who couldn't execute on his own without Andy Reid around. Nice guy, wish him the best, but we need better.

I was thinking Pettine to G08, he would make sense to me since Desai/Tabor/Lazor have other responsibilities on game day. Plus Pettine has done it before, he'd be my choice. Or Flip.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pettine, IMO would be the obvious choice.

Why Flip? The dude has been turned down for quite a few jobs in the past, something is not right with him. Give me the guy with experience so the coordinators can do their jobs.
wab
Mod

Pettine makes the most sense to me, but they did hand over HC duties to Tabor when Nagy was out.

Pettine as HC - Lazor as OC - Desai as DC feels right.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:07 am
I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse about it happening.
WP.1
Player of the Month

but right on the field ??
I mean a reason to watch the game live.

UOK
Site Admin

Feels awkward, but if it’s true they may announce his firing tonight to spare him the indignity and embarrassment of lame-ducking an entire national broadcast on a holiday and let him be at home with his family.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I am hearing this as well from friends who follow Bears news a lot closer than I do. I'm guessing he announces his resignation today at the presser.

Don't expect Pace to be gone at the end of this year. My guess is that he gets another coaching hire. The cap situation is not as bad as everyone is claiming. The Bears have an out after next year on a lot of the big contracts that are in place right now, and would save the Bears upwards of $55M. Including Mack, Quinn, Goldman, Jackson, and Cohen. And the cap goes up quite a bit over the next couple of years. It goes from $187M this year to $218M in 2023, and that does not include any rollover from 2022.
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

That would be a classy move UOK. As much as I want Nagy gone, I'm a softy and feel bad for the guy personally. He's just a person, with a family, facing getting fired for what was the mountain top of his career. He must be absolutely gutted about it. Best to rip the band aid off and get this over with.

I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
Last edited by dplank on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
IE
Hall of Famer

This is so exciting. I was thinking of leading the "fire Nagy!" chants at the game Thursday (only if they lose - which I can't imagine because I live in Detroit and if you think the Bears are bad...). Man - I could be a fixture on national TV if I brought a big fire Nagy sign... sitting in the front row. Hmm....naw, that's a little over the top - I'm going to be holidy partying with my wife & that's too negative.

I kind of like Tabor as the interim coach. Not because I think he's a long-term answer, but I think he's kind of a fiery rah-rah and player's coach that can bring some energy and rally the team to some wins.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

I've wanted and tried to like Nagy. But he kept talking to us like we're complete idiots and insulted us with his word salad of nonsense. I can't stand people who get in over their heads and then are arrogant even as they fail... never listening or admitting a single wrong decision or mistake. There's always an excuse and moved goal posts. I've been around corporate American enough to have seen a thousand Nagys, destroying programs and business areas with incompetence while being purely political animals. I don't think these folks turn off their arrogance when they leave the office.
Last edited by IE on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am That would be a classy move UOK. As much as I want Nagy gone, I'm a softy and feel bad for the guy personally. He's just a person, with a family, facing getting fired for what was the mountain top of his career. He must be absolutely gutted about it. Best to rip the band aid off and get this over with.

I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
Feel the same way dplank. I don't like to see anyone lose their source of income. But this is also a monster of Nagy's own creation. He talked his way into a job he had no business being in.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth, I would like to see Pettine promoted to HC. We have enough problems on ST without promoting Tabor to HC.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

As nice as it is that they finally (about 365 days slow) figured out that he's in way, way over his head...

...if Pace gets to stick around, and they don't spend at least 1 year rebuilding, the odds of them getting further than "modestly above average" in their next run aren't very good.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 am
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am That would be a classy move UOK. As much as I want Nagy gone, I'm a softy and feel bad for the guy personally. He's just a person, with a family, facing getting fired for what was the mountain top of his career. He must be absolutely gutted about it. Best to rip the band aid off and get this over with.

Feel the same way dplank. I don't like to see anyone lose their source of income. But this is also a monster of Nagy's own creation. He talked his way into a job he had no business being in.

I'd have a tough time firing regular people making regular money who are genuinely trying, but just bad.

People who make 5M a year? 0.0 on the Mercy-omter. They'll be just fine.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I don't believe 670 has confirmed the story - they're just repeating the Patch report. Beat writers and national NFL types (Glazer, Rapoport, Schefter etc.) have not confirmed the story.

It's POSSIBLE - but I expect an outright denial during today's press briefings. Won't be surprised if this a. isn't true or b. is semi true - i.e. a loss to Detroit and Nagy is out. A win and he stays
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 am

I'd have a tough time firing regular people making regular money who are genuinely trying, but just bad.

People who make 5M a year? 0.0 on the Mercy-omter. They'll be just fine.

My feelings as well. He is set for a little while. He will get another coaching job, analyst job, he will be fine. His "Be you" mantra sucked. He was trying to be someone he could not be - Andy Reid. This is a business and he was not successful in it, those types of people get fired. You get into coaching 90+% will get fired at some point.

Time for the next victim.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I doubt that’s true but I’m choosing to enjoy it anyway.

UOK
Site Admin

Nothing happening today, looks like.
wulfy
MVP

I’m calling BS on this. This report is from The Patch which covers big events like a new stop sign on Main and 3rd or pothole repair this weekend in Park Ridge.

When Scheftie, Breer or Rap Report confirms, let me know.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I hope it isn't true from the standpoint that explicitly making him a lame duck makes zero sense. Just end it if that's the decision. The short week dynamics aren't that impactful. What if Nagy had covid, they'd have to figure it out on a short week.

Just embarrassing decision making from George/Ted if true.
wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

They should have told him first
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Xee
Site Admin

I still don't think the Bears buck tradition and fire Nagy mid-season. In this regard, I think they value appearances more than performance. Who knows, maybe this is a way to differentiate themselves when it comes to getting a coach, "Trust us, no matter how bad you coach we will give you the entire season to play it out".
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ryan Pace does not have a great track record of sharing news with everyone involved - Urlacher, Glennon, Dalton, Fox/Trubisky - so who knows
xyt in the discord chats