Update: McCaskey addresses team - no Nagy firing after Thanksgiving

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 pm Urlacher was Phil Emery
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
You Americans are so polite at games. You think 'Fire Nagy' chants are bad, you should listen to the chants that go round soccer stadiums in the UK when a manager (i.e. head coach) is on the brink of losing his job or owners are hated. They're brutal.

Here's just one chant a soccer crowd might be singing:

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
Stick Matt Nagy on the top
Shove Ryan Pace right in the middle
And then burn the f'ing lot!

I was at game once where that one was being chanted (obviously with different names) and a bonfire (just a small one) was actually built and set alight in the stands. To be fair, the team in question had been run into the ground and was on the brink of bankruptcy, something that would never happen in the NFL.
Wanker! Wanker! lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Regardless of Nagy being fired now or after the season, ownership and Phillips have allowed a bad situation to totally devolve into a clown show. Gives potential GM and coaching candidates pause for working for such an organization. But someone will, they'll just ask for 5 year contracts.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'd say roughly half of Bears fandom wanted Nagy fired last year - that half was correct lol. This has absolutely devolved into a massive shit show, making the Bears a laughing stock yet again. This organization just doesn't operate with any urgency at all. They see failure and can't wrap their heads around it. They see mediocrity and view it as success. And they don't see success, well really ever, because Bears.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:02 am I'd say roughly half of Bears fandom wanted Nagy fired last year - that half was correct lol. This has absolutely devolved into a massive shit show, making the Bears a laughing stock yet again. This organization just doesn't operate with any urgency at all. They see failure and can't wrap their heads around it. They see mediocrity and view it as success. And they don't see success, well really ever, because Bears.
Man, I can remember that press conference where they confirmed Nagy would be back - the one where they spun a 6 game losing streak as a positive, and talked about their collaborative culture.

That was a highly disappointing moment.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Spin the current 5 game losing streak, the woeful offensive stats (practically last in about every category), it is time. There really has been no improvement made. nagy can't get out of his own way. A guy with this type of losing streak 3 yrs in a row, how can you keep that?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:04 am
dplank wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:02 am I'd say roughly half of Bears fandom wanted Nagy fired last year - that half was correct lol. This has absolutely devolved into a massive shit show, making the Bears a laughing stock yet again. This organization just doesn't operate with any urgency at all. They see failure and can't wrap their heads around it. They see mediocrity and view it as success. And they don't see success, well really ever, because Bears.
Man, I can remember that press conference where they confirmed Nagy would be back - the one where they spun a 6 game losing streak as a positive, and talked about their collaborative culture.

That was a highly disappointing moment.
Then the Deep Bear conspiracy about secret extensions.

This year was going to be a weird one anyway because of a rookie QB.

What would be interesting is where would we be today had Nagy been fired.

Would we have drafted Fields?

Who would we have hired?

I don't know if they would've gone with the Andy Reid tree again? Bieniemy?

There was a lot of talk about Pat Fitzgerald.

I still see us winding up with Fields, which is a good thing, but I do wonder if another coach would've had us take Mac Jones instead.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears will not be able to afford Ryan Day. Mel Tucker is getting $9+mil @ Michigan St, Franklin just got a hefty pay raise. Day will probably start getting $10+ mil real soon. Cross him off the list.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:59 am Regardless of Nagy being fired now or after the season, ownership and Phillips have allowed a bad situation to totally devolve into a clown show. Gives potential GM and coaching candidates pause for working for such an organization. But someone will, they'll just ask for 5 year contracts.
5 years is kind of the minimum now anyways.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 am Bears will not be able to afford Ryan Day. Mel Tucker is getting $9+mil @ Michigan St, Franklin just got a hefty pay raise. Day will probably start getting $10+ mil real soon. Cross him off the list.
This is one reason among many why big money ownership matters. It's not about the cap.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Nobody with options is going to come to the Bears, so you can just cross the top candidates off the list.

This team desperately needs to be sold to someone competent.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 am
Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 am Bears will not be able to afford Ryan Day. Mel Tucker is getting $9+mil @ Michigan St, Franklin just got a hefty pay raise. Day will probably start getting $10+ mil real soon. Cross him off the list.
This is one reason among many why big money ownership matters. It's not about the cap.
With the possible complication of needing to divert money to Arlington, I think the Bears still could afford a college guy like that if they wanted. And some might get full control so it's really HC+GM salary anyways. But it's crazy how big college salaries are.

But I guess if they get a college guy the Campbell's or Fitzgeralds are gonna be more in the cost range, yea.
Z Bear
MVP

Coaches and GMs (hopefully) will be lining up for the Bears job. 99% of the time when a regime is let go it does not have a QB, the Bears do.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am
Nobody with options is going to come to the Bears, so you can just cross the top candidates off the list.

Really depends on those other options, IMO.

Ownership probably as some impact, but I think GM/QB situations matter much more.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 pm You Americans are so polite at games. You think 'Fire Nagy' chants are bad, you should listen to the chants that go round soccer stadiums in the UK when a manager (i.e. head coach) is on the brink of losing his job or owners are hated. They're brutal.

Here's just one chant a soccer crowd might be singing:

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
Stick Matt Nagy on the top
Shove Ryan Pace right in the middle
And then burn the f'ing lot!

I was at game once where that one was being chanted (obviously with different names) and a bonfire (just a small one) was actually built and set alight in the stands. To be fair, the team in question had been run into the ground and was on the brink of bankruptcy, something that would never happen in the NFL.
Wanker! Wanker! lol
Ah, the classic chant of "The referee's a wanker, the referee's a wanker." It would have been most appropriate at the Steelers game don't you think?

Another classic that would be appropriate for tomorrow's game is one every under pressure soccer manager has heard in his career: "You're getting sacked in the morning, sacked in the morning. You're getting sacked in the morning." 'Sacked' being another word for 'fired' in the UK.
malk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am A personal favourite was whenever Harry Redknapp was the opposition manager. "Stand up, if you pay your tax. Stand up, if you pay your tax." to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys. Shockingly enough he was being investigated for tax fraud at the time...
The creativity and humour in British chants is great. I'm not a fan of vicious ones, but funny ones? Oh yes!

A few favourites include:

The song for striker Bobby Zamora when he was at Brighton, sung to the tune of Dean Martin's "That's amore":
"When the ball hits the goal, it's not Shearer or Cole, it's Zamora."
When he played for West Ham United and was somewhat less successful:
"When you're sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora."

When Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United was banned for missing a drugs test, sung to the tune of "Rio" by Duran Duran:
“His name is Rio and he watches from the stand.”

Leyton Orient fans about their 5'4 striker Dean Cox (whose nickname was 'Tiny') to the tune of "Knees up Mother Brown":
“We’ve got Tiny Cox, we’ve got Tiny Cox, we’ve got Tiny, we’ve got Tiny, we’ve got Tiny Cox!”

When it came to light that Glasgow Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram had schizophrenia, their fans adapted the chant of "One Andy Goram, there's only one Andy Goram, One Andy Goram! There's only one Andy Goram!" to “Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams. Two Andy Gorams! There's only two Andy Gorams!”

And one Lions fans might like if they lose tomorrow to the 'mighty' Chicago Bears:
"We lose every week, we lose every week. You're nothing special, we lose every week!"
Of course, if the Lions win Bears fans could sing the same song...
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:07 am
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am

Really depends on those other options, IMO.

Ownership probably as some impact, but I think GM/QB situations matter much more.
The Bears current GM is a moron that has repeatedly traded up for busts, has mismanaged draft capital, signed older players to bigger deals in favor of younger players, let superior players walk.

And in 7 years he’s won no playoff games and has built a roster with a myriad of holes.

If Pace is brought back he’s a liability and not an asset. And George and Ted have shown no capability to hire competently.

For this to be an attractive job, they’d have to start with getting rid of Ted and restructure everything to limit George’s involvement. Or sell the team.

I don’t expect either to happen any time soon.
Road
Pro Bowler

Bears are a sliding in shit show. They’ll end up stinking whoever they hire to replace Nagy. No one with any self-esteem wants to be on this team. Everyone knows accepting a job with this team will stick a dagger in your credibility.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I know it is not cap related, but me, as an owner, I am not paying a college coach with no NFL experience more than say a Sean Payton, a McVay, an Any Reid. Not happening in my world.
IotaNet
MVP

Road wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 amEveryone knows accepting a job with this team will stick a dagger in your credibility.
As bad as things are right now, I'd have to disagree with this.

Chicago is a world-class city and (for better or worse), the Bears are a charter NFL franchise. The team is about to build a new, presumably state-of-the-art, stadium and they have their franchise QB.

There are a LOT of things to like about the Bears HC job. While the devil is always in the details, a whole bunch of candidates will be lining up for a shot at this gig.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
IotaNet
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am

I know it is not cap related, but me, as an owner, I am not paying a college coach with no NFL experience more than say a Sean Payton, a McVay, an Any Reid. Not happening in my world.
TOTAL co-sign.

I think we need someone with NFL experience, who can establish credibility and properly develop JF1. I would love a Bruce Arians type -- gosh we blew THAT one. Perhaps it's time Dave Toub got his shot?

Or maybe (can't believe I'm saying this, but) Josh McDaniels, anyone? He isn't "Mr. Congeniality" but quarterback play has been excellent on his watch.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:48 pm
Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am

TOTAL co-sign.

I think we need someone with NFL experience, who can establish credibility and properly develop JF1. I would love a Bruce Arians type -- gosh we blew THAT one. Perhaps it's time Dave Toub got his shot?

Or maybe (can't believe I'm saying this, but) Josh McDaniels, anyone? He isn't "Mr. Congeniality" but quarterback play has been excellent on his watch.
Pretty sure McDaniels is still in NE because he's in line to take over from Belichik when the time comes.

I don't have a candidate in mind right now, honestly. But I don't think many people are going to turn down the Bears job, for all the reasons Iota said, plus: there are 32 of those jobs in the world.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I don't care if y'all think I'm a meatball or not, when I think of a coach who has had success in the NFL and who is also a personality capable of leading men generally (in the mold of a Mike Vrabel) my mind goes to Harbaugh.

It just does.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:12 am
IE wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am

Wanker! Wanker! lol
Ah, the classic chant of "The referee's a wanker, the referee's a wanker." It would have been most appropriate at the Steelers game don't you think?

Another classic that would be appropriate for tomorrow's game is one every under pressure soccer manager has heard in his career: "You're getting sacked in the morning, sacked in the morning. You're getting sacked in the morning." 'Sacked' being another word for 'fired' in the UK.
malk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am A personal favourite was whenever Harry Redknapp was the opposition manager. "Stand up, if you pay your tax. Stand up, if you pay your tax." to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys. Shockingly enough he was being investigated for tax fraud at the time...
The creativity and humour in British chants is great. I'm not a fan of vicious ones, but funny ones? Oh yes!

A few favourites include:

The song for striker Bobby Zamora when he was at Brighton, sung to the tune of Dean Martin's "That's amore":
"When the ball hits the goal, it's not Shearer or Cole, it's Zamora."
When he played for West Ham United and was somewhat less successful:
"When you're sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora."

When Rio Ferdinand of Manchester United was banned for missing a drugs test, sung to the tune of "Rio" by Duran Duran:
“His name is Rio and he watches from the stand.”

Leyton Orient fans about their 5'4 striker Dean Cox (whose nickname was 'Tiny') to the tune of "Knees up Mother Brown":
“We’ve got Tiny Cox, we’ve got Tiny Cox, we’ve got Tiny, we’ve got Tiny, we’ve got Tiny Cox!”

When it came to light that Glasgow Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram had schizophrenia, their fans adapted the chant of "One Andy Goram, there's only one Andy Goram, One Andy Goram! There's only one Andy Goram!" to “Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams. Two Andy Gorams! There's only two Andy Gorams!”

And one Lions fans might like if they lose tomorrow to the 'mighty' Chicago Bears:
"We lose every week, we lose every week. You're nothing special, we lose every week!"
Of course, if the Lions win Bears fans could sing the same song...
At the risk of derailing this thread I need to tell you that I've totally gotten into Premier League as the result of the Covid craziness.

And by sheer luck, the team I started following almost immediately is Liverpool and my favorite player is Mohammed Salah.

I just decided one day to start watching Premier League on Peacock streaming. I watched a few games from different teams and I'm like whose that goofy looking guy playing for Liverpool?

Then it just stuck. I'm LOVING it.

Here are some more chants.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:12 pm I don't care if y'all think I'm a meatball or not, when I think of a coach who has had success in the NFL and who is also a personality capable of leading men generally (in the mold of a Mike Vrabel) my mind goes to Harbaugh.

It just does.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting Harbaugh.

I'm just not sure it's even a possibility unless him and UM explicitly part ways. I don't think he'd get persuaded away from the gig by another NFL offer.

I also do think he may not play nicely. If you do it, I think you gotta give him the Pete Carroll role and build out the front office backwards from Head coach.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm
Burl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:12 pm I don't care if y'all think I'm a meatball or not, when I think of a coach who has had success in the NFL and who is also a personality capable of leading men generally (in the mold of a Mike Vrabel) my mind goes to Harbaugh.

It just does.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting Harbaugh.

I'm just not sure it's even a possibility unless him and UM explicitly part ways. I don't think he'd get persuaded away from the gig by another NFL offer.

I also do think he may not play nicely. If you do it, I think you gotta give him the Pete Carroll role and build out the front office backwards from Head coach.
Me neither, I'd be happy if we got Harbaugh.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

perhaps there is a different element to this we aren't considering

let's say the Bears were in fact contemplating giving Nagy the boot, but Nagy found out by over hearing the conversation due to ineptitude by the front office in their discussions

Nagy is confused and a bit pissed, and wants to finish out the year at least (he was still clinging to false hopes of a contract extension) ... so Nagy is who leaks the info about his pending dismissal

once the story gets out, the Bears front office starts a tussle with each other about who gave out their super secret plans, not realizing it was because they had inadvertently left the intercom open, so their convo was heard in other conference rooms, and of course Nagy was in one of them doing his Nagy thing, planning his latest disaster ... so with the news now out, they go into full disclaimer mode which results in them deciding if they fire Nagy now, people will think they are idiots (too late for that guys), so they then call the come to Jesus meeting with Nagy to assure him he will finish out the season but needs to show more progress prior to their post season discussion on future plans and or contracts

sounds kind of convoluted and a bit messed up, right? that only makes it more Bearsy
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:28 pm perhaps there is a different element to this we aren't considering

let's say the Bears were in fact contemplating giving Nagy the boot, but Nagy found out by over hearing the conversation due to ineptitude by the front office in their discussions

Nagy is confused and a bit pissed, and wants to finish out the year at least (he was still clinging to false hopes of a contract extension) ... so Nagy is who leaks the info about his pending dismissal

once the story gets out, the Bears front office starts a tussle with each other about who gave out their super secret plans, not realizing it was because they had inadvertently left the intercom open, so their convo was heard in other conference rooms, and of course Nagy was in one of them doing his Nagy thing, planning his latest disaster ... so with the news now out, they go into full disclaimer mode which results in them deciding if they fire Nagy now, people will think they are idiots (too late for that guys), so they then call the come to Jesus meeting with Nagy to assure him he will finish out the season but needs to show more progress prior to their post season discussion on future plans and or contracts

sounds kind of convoluted and a bit messed up, right? that only makes it more Bearsy
Do you really think Nagy is smart enough to attempt a 4D Chess move like that?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:55 pm
Necessary step. Will they publically address anything?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:57 pm
They are doing it on Friday.