Update: McCaskey addresses team - no Nagy firing after Thanksgiving

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:18 pm They should have told him first
Or they just move him into a area in the basement and seize his Swingline stapler?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Just when I thought I was out . . . they pull me back in!

I said the other day my Bears' give-a-crap meter was at an all time low and now this news so I'm all in again to see what happens.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:07 pm
I didn't hear all the comments from the presser - but that's a typical Nagy non-answer that has grown SO tiresome. "That's not accurate" doesn't tell us anything. It could easily mean "that's not exactly the wording as it was said to me", and they really did have a conversation with Nagy about him being at risk of being fired during the season & soon.

My guess is they DID have a conversation with Nagy about his job being at risk during the season (and soon) - especially if there were clear coaching problems against the Lions (maybe even in a win, if weird Nagy-ish stuff happens). I'm thinking there may be an element of truth to the rumor and "they" sat down with Nagy:

"They":
- This losing streak has to stop... if you lose to the Lions pack your things. As a matter of fact, pack your bag before thee rest of our games like you're on the Bachelor and it's a rose ceremony.
- Even IF you beat the Lions, if there is clear Nagy play calling on the field, any more bizarre Nagy-ish clock or time out management and generally embarrassing things that happen, you're fired.
- IF there are any clear signs of a lack of discipline on the team with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, you might be fired (we're going to watch the tape, and it had better be a bad call).
- We have tight ends that you said you wanted and running backs not named Jordan Howard or MIke Davis like you wanted... if you don't use them you're probably going to lose. And you know what happens when you lose, right?

'Nagy": You know I'm going to be myself, right? I'm from the Andy Reid tree and I coached Patrick Mahomes. I'm a play design guru... and some of them work. Haven't you gotten it yet that I'm not going to change.... at ALL?

"They": OK back your bag like we said, and to make sure you understand we're serious we're going to make sure the skids are greased here with a questionable-but-believable press leak.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Make it a two-fer, fire Pace also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:07 pm
I didn't hear all the comments from the presser - but that's a typical Nagy non-answer that has grown SO tiresome. "That's not accurate" doesn't tell us anything. It could easily mean "that's not exactly the wording as it was said to me", and they really did have a conversation with Nagy about him being at risk of being fired during the season & soon.

My guess is they DID have a conversation with Nagy about his job being at risk during the season (and soon) - especially if there were clear coaching problems against the Lions (maybe even in a win, if weird Nagy-ish stuff happens). I'm thinking there may be an element of truth to the rumor and "they" sat down with Nagy:

"They":
- This losing streak has to stop... if you lose to the Lions pack your things. As a matter of fact, pack your bag before thee rest of our games like you're on the Bachelor and it's a rose ceremony.
- Even IF you beat the Lions, if there is clear Nagy play calling on the field, any more bizarre Nagy-ish clock or time out management and generally embarrassing things that happen, you're fired.
- IF there are any clear signs of a lack of discipline on the team with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, you might be fired (we're going to watch the tape, and it had better be a bad call).
- We have tight ends that you said you wanted and running backs not named Jordan Howard or MIke Davis like you wanted... if you don't use them you're probably going to lose. And you know what happens when you lose, right?

'Nagy": You know I'm going to be myself, right? I'm from the Andy Reid tree and I coached Patrick Mahomes. I'm a play design guru... and some of them work. Haven't you gotten it yet that I'm not going to change.... at ALL?

"They": OK back your bag like we said, and to make sure you understand we're serious we're going to make sure the skids are greased here with a questionable-but-believable press leak.
He literally and explicitly says, “No, I have not,” in the quote Hoge provides.

Maybe part of the problem is people hearing or reading one thing that triggers them and not paying attention to the rest of the statement?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:50 pm Make it a two-fer, fire Pace also.
Yes, and while we’re at how about a three-fer and get rid of Phillips too.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Ryan Pace doesn't have to tell Nagy anything. But loose lips in the building could be leaking information coming down from Ginny and George. It's been rumored for awhile that the organization has soured on Nagy, and the team has recently become more vocal about their vote of no confidence. I don't think he makes it the whole season.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:50 pm Make it a two-fer, fire Pace also.
Yes, and while we’re at how about a three-fer and get rid of Phillips too.
Fuck it. Someone throw the franchise up on Craig's List while George isn't looking. Go big or go home!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 pm I’m calling BS on this. This report is from The Patch which covers big events like a new stop sign on Main and 3rd or pothole repair this weekend in Park Ridge.

When Scheftie, Breer or Rap Report confirms, let me know.
I also say BS. Why would you tell someone he's going to be fired and then ask him to do more work for you? Makes zero sense.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well that was fun for 5 minutes.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:11 pm
wulfy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 pm I’m calling BS on this. This report is from The Patch which covers big events like a new stop sign on Main and 3rd or pothole repair this weekend in Park Ridge.

When Scheftie, Breer or Rap Report confirms, let me know.
I also say BS. Why would you tell someone he's going to be fired and then ask him to do more work for you? Makes zero sense.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm
IE wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 pm

He literally and explicitly says, “No, I have not,” in the quote Hoge provides.

Maybe part of the problem is people hearing or reading one thing that triggers them and not paying attention to the rest of the statement?
Maybe part of the problem is people hearing Nagy for years giving complete non-answers to good questions, and STILL not grasping how he doesn't answer questions.

Enjoy your word salad.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:18 pm
Mikefive wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:11 pm I also say BS. Why would you tell someone he's going to be fired and then ask him to do more work for you? Makes zero sense.
Yeah - that is funny - but I agree it was obvious that the context was wrong if there was any truth to the rumor at all. Any conversation that was had was the *threat* of firing - not an actual firing. Or even funnier yet - a scheduled firing. That part was clearly wrong. But that doesn't mean the Come to Jesus meeting didn't happen.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I have my doubts about this ... lots of weirdness to the whole report

I do not expect the Bears to break with tradition ... if they fire him, I'm pretty sure it will be after the season

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:57 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:18 pm They should have told him first
Or they just move him into a area in the basement and seize his Swingline stapler?
the red one ... that's the important one
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:08 pm I have my doubts about this ... lots of weirdness to the whole report

I do not expect the Bears to break with tradition ... if they fire him, I'm pretty sure it will be after the season

Bears. Weirdness. Get the F@ck out of here, those 2 things never go together with this franchise, right? Dave Macginnis?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:18 pm
Boris13c wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:08 pm I have my doubts about this ... lots of weirdness to the whole report

Bears. Weirdness. Get the F@ck out of here, those 2 things never go together with this franchise, right? Dave Macginnis?
yeah, but in this case it isn't the Bears with the weirdness, it is some alleged info insider
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

This seems like a weird rant. Even if the report was wrong it's really not the coaches job to clarify behind the scenes doings, especially unprompted. If there was any sort of come to Jesus moment like theorized, it would be idiotic to expect a coach or player to blab the second a leaked report is in the ballpark. Although I think I saw somewhere say he explicitly said he didn't meet with George/Ted.

And hey maybe he just lied, but I don't see a word salad of nonsense in the answer.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:18 pm

yeah, but in this case it isn't the Bears with the weirdness, it is some alleged info insider
Yea, I get the skepiticsm, but it's still possible there is some bad Intel here.

Also for whatever it's worth I think this would be the first moment like this of George's leadership. All the big egg on face moments I can recall were under Michael's reign. It's not totally unreasonable to suspect they aren't still Dave McGinnis levels of incompetent.
bbaker
Journeyman

Correct. He specifically said he had not talked
with ownership or leadership this week, due to it being a short week. It was actually a fairly straightforward answer, for once.
Umbali
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am That would be a classy move UOK. As much as I want Nagy gone, I'm a softy and feel bad for the guy personally. He's just a person, with a family, facing getting fired for what was the mountain top of his career. He must be absolutely gutted about it. Best to rip the band aid off and get this over with.

I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
I sort of feel the same way, then I remember the millions they get paid...the nfl regurgitates coaches constantly etc. It not like his career will be over. He will be ok.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Umbali
MVP

Maybe Virginia is feeling her age and realizes its now or never to get shit right
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Dammit I wanna be there on the day that George McCaskey walks into Nagy's office and takes the Swingline. The whole time Nagy mumbling to myself about needing to watch the tape.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm Maybe Virginia is feeling her age and realizes its now or never to get shit right
The stupid bitch is what? 125 years old? Better late than never I suppose.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Urlacher was Phil Emery
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
You Americans are so polite at games. You think 'Fire Nagy' chants are bad, you should listen to the chants that go round soccer stadiums in the UK when a manager (i.e. head coach) is on the brink of losing his job or owners are hated. They're brutal.

Here's just one chant a soccer crowd might be singing:

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
Stick Matt Nagy on the top
Shove Ryan Pace right in the middle
And then burn the f'ing lot!

I was at game once where that one was being chanted (obviously with different names) and a bonfire (just a small one) was actually built and set alight in the stands. To be fair, the team in question had been run into the ground and was on the brink of bankruptcy, something that would never happen in the NFL.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 pm Urlacher was Phil Emery
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am I really cringe when I hear fans chanting "Fire Nagy". I get it, and I get that it actually helps move the McCaskey's to action as they can't like hearing that, but I just feel bad for the guy. He tried his hardest, it wasn't for lack of effort or desire to succeed. I think, honestly, he tried too hard and ultimately overcomplicated what should be a pretty simple game.
You Americans are so polite at games. You think 'Fire Nagy' chants are bad, you should listen to the chants that go round soccer stadiums in the UK when a manager (i.e. head coach) is on the brink of losing his job or owners are hated. They're brutal.

I was at game once where that one was being chanted (obviously with different names) and a bonfire (just a small one) was actually built and set alight in the stands. To be fair, the team in question had been run into the ground and was on the brink of bankruptcy, something that would never happen in the NFL.
Bonus points for bringing up soccer chants. They're glorious.

My favorite is....

Who ate all the pies?
Who are all the pies?
You fat bastard!
You fat bastard!
You ate all the pies!
Artbest
Player of the Month

Hughes is dead wrong - the bear organization botched this.

mshu7 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:42 pm
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 pm Urlacher was Phil Emery

Was at a game where the oppo was the team's main rival and their owner had just been sent to prison. Some uh, interesting chants at that game. The oppo were probably joining in as the owner was a deeply unpleasant man.

@The Marshall Plan Was at another game where the home stand was chanting that at a defender called Neil Ruddock during a break in play. He turned to the stand and mimed eating a pie to rapturous applause. A glorious moment.

A personal favourite was whenever Harry Redknapp was the opposition manager. "Stand up, if you pay your tax. Stand up, if you pay your tax." to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys. Shockingly enough he was being investigated for tax fraud at the time...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu