Matt Nagy deserves a little credit

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hear me out on this.

When you consider what happened in the last week... Reports that a) He would be fired after the Thanksgiving game, and b) George McKnucklehead ordered him to start Fields, and c) he has lost the locker room, and d) Fans chanted "Fire Nagy" at his son's game... In response, his management team did a laughably terrible job of publicly supporting him, instead letting the coaching staff face that music. Amid all that craziness and ineptitude, he managed to keep the team focused enough to win a road game on a short week without several key players. He also had to change QBs without practice time, but that point may be somewhat mitigated, since it now appears that Dalton might be Nagy's current choice to start, although we did see some rusty miscommunication play out in the game.

Now it IS the O-fer Lions. No denying that. Still, indications are that he's the leader of that locker room, even if he deserves criticism in several other areas. He's not the Marc Trestman clown show. The way he handled the last few days is praise worthy, even if (like me) you want to see him replaced.

Somebody had to say it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What happened this week is nothing different than what you'd see from Baghdad Bob telling the world that everything is fine while the building shakes from our bombs.

Or the stories from North Korea about Dear Leader's various achievements that are impossible while the population starves to death.

The high caliber KC offense he allegedly brought over here that takes half a decade to learn produced one TD against the Lions. It took a last second FG to win that game.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I give Nagy credit for not resigning but that's little enough credit, no one wants to lose their job. Dalton or Fields or Foles or Trubisky, Nagy offenses can not deliver the points needed to win consistently. That's the bottom line, that and ownership has allowed this to continue for 4 years.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:31 am Hear me out on this.

When you consider what happened in the last week... Reports that a) He would be fired after the Thanksgiving game, and b) George McKnucklehead ordered him to start Fields, and c) he has lost the locker room, and d) Fans chanted "Fire Nagy" at his son's game... In response, his management team did a laughably terrible job of publicly supporting him, instead letting the coaching staff face that music. Amid all that craziness and ineptitude, he managed to keep the team focused enough to win a road game on a short week without several key players. He also had to change QBs without practice time, but that point may be somewhat mitigated, since it now appears that Dalton might be Nagy's current choice to start, although we did see some rusty miscommunication play out in the game. Now it IS the O-fer Lions. No denying that.

He had a difficult, unpleasant few days and still managed to win (against the worst team in the league).

Mikefive wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:31 am Still, indications are that he's the leader of that locker room, even if he deserves criticism in several other areas. He's not the Marc Trestman clown show. The way he handled the last few days is praise worthy, even if (like me) you want to see him replaced.
But reports are that an overwhelming majority of players are completely done with him.

And Marc Trestman could have a bowling ball fall on his skull, suffer a traumatic brain injury, have to relearn how to walk and speak...and he'd still know twice as much about running an NFL offense as Nagy.

He can have a little credit for staying composed and not falling apart in a tough situation.
But he's still the worst Bear HC of the last 40 years.
And winning Thursday didn't actually accomplish anything for anyone, other than a teeny, tiny boost to his and Pace's future stock.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Matt Nagy is a super-tenacious bullshit artist. I bet Andy Reid was tickled pink when he got rid of him.

I've worked around guys like him and they will always have glowing references from their current employer....after you hire them you then find out why the last organization wanted to get rid of them so bad.

Fact of life.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm sorry but the time to give credit to Nagy for anything is long past ... he was hired to bring a new era offense to the Bears and success and happiness would follow ... instead the Bears offense still has no identity and apparently no plan on how to develop one, which has led to intermittent success wrapped in almost comical failure

Nagy is not the man the Bears thought they hired, which leads me to believe his resume is bullshit and that the offensive successes of his previous team was due to Andy Reid ... Nagy was simply a mouthpiece apprentice and apparently did not pay really good attention to his teacher
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:50 am And Marc Trestman could have a bowling ball fall on his skull, suffer a traumatic brain injury, have to relearn how to walk and speak...and he'd still know twice as much about running an NFL offense as Nagy.
I ran out of patience with Nagy some time ago, but I think you're somewhat over-exaggerating Trestman's offensive ability. Like Nagy he had a degree of success in his first year (better than Nagy) but his offense plummeted in Year 2 and that was the pattern throughout his career in the NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

When you consider what happened in the last week... Reports that a) He would be fired after the Thanksgiving game, and b) George McKnucklehead ordered him to start Fields, and c) he has lost the locker room, and d) Fans chanted "Fire Nagy" at his son's game... In response, his management team did a laughably terrible job of publicly supporting him, instead letting the coaching staff face that music. Amid all that craziness and ineptitude, he managed to keep the team focused enough to win a road game on a short week without several key players. He also had to change QBs without practice time, but that point may be somewhat mitigated, since it now appears that Dalton might be Nagy's current choice to start, although we did see some rusty miscommunication play out in the game.

Now it IS the O-fer Lions. No denying that. Still, indications are that he's the leader of that locker room, even if he deserves criticism in several other areas. He's not the Marc Trestman clown show. The way he handled the last few days is praise worthy, even if (like me) you want to see him replaced.

Somebody had to say it.
Good post Mike

He gets deserved criticism for his lack of ability at Head Coach. There’s no getting away from that.

Other aspects of his personality and professionalism are to be applauded.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:50 am

When you consider what happened in the last week... Reports that a) He would be fired after the Thanksgiving game, and b) George McKnucklehead ordered him to start Fields, and c) he has lost the locker room, and d) Fans chanted "Fire Nagy" at his son's game... In response, his management team did a laughably terrible job of publicly supporting him, instead letting the coaching staff face that music. Amid all that craziness and ineptitude, he managed to keep the team focused enough to win a road game on a short week without several key players. He also had to change QBs without practice time, but that point may be somewhat mitigated, since it now appears that Dalton might be Nagy's current choice to start, although we did see some rusty miscommunication play out in the game. Now it IS the O-fer Lions. No denying that.

He had a difficult, unpleasant few days and still managed to win (against the worst team in the league).

Mikefive wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:31 am Still, indications are that he's the leader of that locker room, even if he deserves criticism in several other areas. He's not the Marc Trestman clown show. The way he handled the last few days is praise worthy, even if (like me) you want to see him replaced.
But reports are that an overwhelming majority of players are completely done with him.

And Marc Trestman could have a bowling ball fall on his skull, suffer a traumatic brain injury, have to relearn how to walk and speak...and he'd still know twice as much about running an NFL offense as Nagy.

He can have a little credit for staying composed and not falling apart in a tough situation.
But he's still the worst Bear HC of the last 40 years.
And winning Thursday didn't actually accomplish anything for anyone, other than a teeny, tiny boost to his and Pace's future stock.
Trestman is the worst coach in my lifetime the Bears have ever had (I’m in my 30’s) You’re either too young to properly remember or time has made you forget how bad that era was.

And while Trestman had a one really good offensive year, he also had a lot more offensive talent.

Matt Forte was an elite RB and ahead of his time with his pass catching ability, Jeffrey and Marshall was probably the best WR duo the Bears ever had, Bennett was mercurial but a pretty good TE, and Kyle Long was one of the best guards in the league.

In contrast Ryan Pace has built a team designed to win with its defense despite having hired an offensive coach. Some of that’s because you had to seize on Mack being available but it’s also because Pace has been neglectful in addressing the offensive line and has repeatedly missed on offensive talent.

Anthony Miller and Adam Shaheen weren’t particularly helpful pieces in developing an offense as evidenced by them having done nothing elsewhere if they’re even still in the league.

People hate on Nagy because the defense carries the team but when you consider the salary cap and draft capital allocated to building the defense it should be carrying the team.

The Bears have not gone out of their way to build a super talented offensive team. People have joked but it might be true that Fields had a better WR corps at Ohio State than with the Bears, probably 3 future first round picks.

It’s been ugly and frustrating but under Nagy they’ve made the playoffs twice and this will be the first losing season. And the reason they lost the playoff game in 2018 is because foolishly signed a mediocre kicker coming off an injury to a big contract, so they couldn’t cut him even though he sucked during the season.

The Bears have been so pathetic that Nagy has sadly produced the most overall sustained success since Lovie.

And while he takes on almost all of the criticism because Pace hides during the season, it’s clearly not all his fault. So if he ever gets another shot with a competent GM I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he looked like the coach we expected to get.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Ok, he gets credit for beating the 0-win Lions on a last-second field goal.
He still sucks and should be fired.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea, that. Nagy sucks. I have a theory about 2018 too. I think John Fox created a typical John Fox team, remember he was brought in to toughen up our team that went soft and quit on Trestman. Our OL played it's best football under Fox, gashing teams with the run game / Jordan Howard. Our D got real tough, under both Fox and Fangio after the awful Mel Tucker years. That team was building a tough identity under Fox, who then was replaced by Nagy. Nagy put his little fancy Nagy sprinkles on top of an already tough team that kept Fangio around, and his Nagyness actually worked because it was unexpected and executed by tough discipline players. That all faded rather quickly as Fox left, followed by Fangio, and the team steadily took on more and more of Nagy's persona. We got worse and worse every year, softer and softer, more penalized particularly pre-snap, looked lost and confused a lot and lacked an identity. After 4 years, this is Nagy's team now and the remnants of Fox/Vic are no longer present - and the results speak for themselves. Nagy can't leave soon enough.

He gets nearly no credit from me now for 2018 given the benefit of hindsight. He rode someone else's team to achieve that, a historic defense built by someone else. He shocked some teams, particularly in the red zone, with zany nagy stuff - but that wore off quick and the naked emperor was exposed.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:31 pm So if he ever gets another shot with a competent GM I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he looked like the coach we expected to get.
Well I think that's highly debatable but you might have a point, TWB. I guess I could live with Matt finding a niche in Wisconsin somewheres. :D
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:31 pm So if he ever gets another shot with a competent GM I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he looked like the coach we expected to get.
Well I think that's highly debatable but you might have a point, TWB. I guess I could live with Matt finding a niche in Wisconsin somewheres. :D
Matt Nagy will never be a HC in the NFL again. He has literally no accomplishments to back up a resume. Between coaches that are actually worth a damn and the Coordinator Flavor Of The Month there won't be any jobs for him.

His ceiling will be a college HC or somebody could be dumb enough to make him an NFL OC.

I could also see him being an HC in the XFL.
spudbear
MVP

If it had been anyone else except the Lions, particularly after losing Roquan, the Bears would have lost that game. The Lions out-inepted the Bears. We pretty much saw the same Bears team performance we've seen over the losing streak, only with Dalton taking snaps. The team has enough vet presence to keep the other players accountable, in spite of Nagy's bumbling and inability to prepare the team.

Rather than tackling Nagy's problems, as there are several other long threads on them, Moriarity brings up an interesting point. Is Nagy the worst coach in the post-Ditka era? In some ways it's a tallest midget contest.

Wanny: Awp, he was foin but suffered during a time of limited FA's and poor draft picks the Bears had as a result of winning through the 80's and Finks gone.
Lubby: One dimensional coach who was fortunate to have a coach on the field, Urlacher. His cluelessness on offense cost the Bears at least one SB win, though Grossman turned out to be a bust.
Fox: Old pro, knew the game and had connections around the league. Saddled with a new GM and a bare Bear talent cupboard.
Jauron: Worked his way up the ranks to HC, but could not put it all together.
Nagy: Supposedly offensive genius who stuck to HIS game plan rather than plan around the players strengths.
Trestman: He should have stayed an assistant coach as he was no leader of men.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
EricTighe
MVP

If Nagy wasn't so cocky I may care.
Nah I don't. Fire his a$$!

Was there any Bear fan anywhere who wanted to give him another year after last year?
Doesn't matter. Fire his A$$.

So hooked on Nagy I forgot about Pace. The GM has robbed Peter to pay Paul and now we have no money available. Wonder how many people know that the Bears have spent more in Free agency than any other team in the league since Pace has been here? I may not like the front office too much and they should bear this weight of hate. But Pace has been running the show since he arrived and they have stayed out of it besides one report that says the McCaskeys made them start Fields. I call BS.

Pace sucks. Fire his A$$.
Nagy sucks. Fire his A$$.

Wish Momma McCaskey could pull the trigger on her Adopted and real son. She needs to fire both there A$$es.

Now we could start over and maybe have a chance.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:31 pm In contrast Ryan Pace has built a team designed to win with its defense despite having hired an offensive coach. Some of that’s because you had to seize on Mack being available but it’s also because Pace has been neglectful in addressing the offensive line and has repeatedly missed on offensive talent.

Anthony Miller and Adam Shaheen weren’t particularly helpful pieces in developing an offense as evidenced by them having done nothing elsewhere if they’re even still in the league.

People hate on Nagy because the defense carries the team but when you consider the salary cap and draft capital allocated to building the defense it should be carrying the team.

The Bears have not gone out of their way to build a super talented offensive team. People have joked but it might be true that Fields had a better WR corps at Ohio State than with the Bears, probably 3 future first round picks.

It’s been ugly and frustrating but under Nagy they’ve made the playoffs twice and this will be the first losing season. And the reason they lost the playoff game in 2018 is because foolishly signed a mediocre kicker coming off an injury to a big contract, so they couldn’t cut him even though he sucked during the season.

The Bears have been so pathetic that Nagy has sadly produced the most overall sustained success since Lovie.

And while he takes on almost all of the criticism because Pace hides during the season, it’s clearly not all his fault. So if he ever gets another shot with a competent GM I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he looked like the coach we expected to get.
People don't hate on Nagy because the defense carries the team, they hate on him because for the past three seasons he has proven to be utterly incapable of improving the offense and turning it into a vaguely competent one.

You talk about the Bears i.e. Pace not going out of their way to acquire offensive talent, yet since Nagy's arrival Pace has picked offensive players 6 times on the first two days of the draft versus 2 defensive players. In Nagy's first year Pace signed Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel from Nagy's former team, Trey Burton from the Eagles who supposedly ran a similar 'Andy Reid' style offense and even got him Chase Daniels as a back up QB who knew his system to help develop Trubisky. It wasn't until the Mack trade that he made a major signing on defense that year. Of course Pace has missed on some picks and free agents, but he's kept trying to get Nagy what he wants. His second year it was RBs, last year it was TEs, this year it was speed at WR and new OTs.

The problem has been that it doesn't matter who Nagy has to work with ,nothing changes. Players he has had have performed better with other teams (RBs Jordan Howard at the Eagles, Mike Davis in Seattle before joining the Bears and Carolina and Atlanta since , Cordarrelle Patterson in New England before Chicago and now in Atlanta for example). Every position group has been overhauled at least once.

Most damming of all though is that Nagy's had four starting QBs, two highly drafted first rounders and two experienced veterans, and none have been able to enjoy any degree of success. I'll say that again: he's had four starting QBs!

Then there's Nagy's repeated inability to manage games properly that goes all the way back to his first one where he blew a big lead versus the Packers. From his tendency to get aggressive at precisely the wrong moments to his clock management, he's the worst head coach I can remember seeing on game day. Oh and his players are consistently ill-disciplined. For starters three have been ejected in the last two seasons.

So if Pace gets another shot with a competent HC I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he looked like a significantly better GM.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:50 am But he's still the worst Bear HC of the last 40 years.
You've either blocked out the Trestman years or deliberately ignored them to make your hyperbolic point.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Artbest
Player of the Month

Pace was struggling before Nagy arrived - his missed opportunities in the 2017 draft will live forever in GM infamy.

quote=HisRoyalSweetness post_id=279434 time=1638061572 user_id=1363]
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:31 pm In contrast Ryan Pace has built a team designed to win with its defense despite having hired an offensive coach. Some of that’s because you had to seize on Mack being available but it’s also because Pace has been neglectful in addressing the offensive line and has repeatedly missed on offensive talent.

People don't hate on Nagy because the defense carries the team, they hate on him because for the past three seasons he has proven to be utterly incapable of improving the offense and turning it into a vaguely competent one.

You talk about the Bears i.e. Pace not going out of their way to acquire offensive talent, yet since Nagy's arrival Pace has picked offensive players 6 times on the first two days of the draft versus 2 defensive players. In Nagy's first year Pace signed Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel from Nagy's former team, Trey Burton from the Eagles who supposedly ran a similar 'Andy Reid' style offense and even got him Chase Daniels as a back up QB who knew his system to help develop Trubisky. It wasn't until the Mack trade that he made a major signing on defense that year. Of course Pace has missed on some picks and free agents, but he's kept trying to get Nagy what he wants. His second year it was RBs, last year it was TEs, this year it was speed at WR and new OTs.

The problem has been that it doesn't matter who Nagy has to work with ,nothing changes. Players he has had have performed better with other teams (RBs Jordan Howard at the Eagles, Mike Davis in Seattle before joining the Bears and Carolina and Atlanta since , Cordarrelle Patterson in New England before Chicago and now in Atlanta for example). Every position group has been overhauled at least once.

Most damming of all though is that Nagy's had four starting QBs, two highly drafted first rounders and two experienced veterans, and none have been able to enjoy any degree of success. I'll say that again: he's had four starting QBs!

Then there's Nagy's repeated inability to manage games properly that goes all the way back to his first one where he blew a big lead versus the Packers. From his tendency to get aggressive at precisely the wrong moments to his clock management, he's the worst head coach I can remember seeing on game day. Oh and his players are consistently ill-disciplined. For starters three have been ejected in the last two seasons.

So if Pace gets another shot with a competent HC I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he looked like a significantly better GM.
[/quote]
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 pm
pus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Matt Nagy will never be a HC in the NFL again. He has literally no accomplishments to back up a resume. Between coaches that are actually worth a damn and the Coordinator Flavor Of The Month there won't be any jobs for him.

His ceiling will be a college HC or somebody could be dumb enough to make him an NFL OC.

I could also see him being an HC in the XFL.
If Mel Tucker can succeed in college (just signed a 95M, 10 year extension with Michigan State), Nagy can have hope of the same.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:45 am What happened this week is nothing different than what you'd see from Baghdad Bob telling the world that everything is fine while the building shakes from our bombs.

Or the stories from North Korea about Dear Leader's various achievements that are impossible while the population starves to death.

The high caliber KC offense he allegedly brought over here that takes half a decade to learn produced one TD against the Lions. It took a last second FG to win that game.
Counterpoint:

It's actually very, very different than those things
RichH55
Hall of Famer

They were also without some of their better players (I know - even in a thread designed to literally give him "a little credit" - that probably isn't allowed)

I know the point of the message board is to ping and pong between extremes (*). Robinson goes from Top 5 Perennially 1500 Yard WR!!!! to - He's the worst and holding back our Rookie QB single handedly - I want to say that happened in like 4 weeks time?

But did Nagy just somehow not get credit for beating a (Bad) Lions team on a short week - but retroactively lose credit for the 2018 season?!?

(*) Note: I am kind of guilty on that mentality as to Nagy - I got way too high on him in 2018
dave99
Assistant Coach

Nagy's anemic offensives almost make you forget how poorly disciplined and prepared this team has been for most of his tenure.
If he was going to grow into the job he would have done it by now. He is simply not head coach material.
He will probably find a role as an offensive assistant somewhere that keeps as far away from any real responsibility as possible.

But he is not the worst coach in my lifetime. That would be Abe Gibron who managed 11 victories in 3 seasons.
His crowning achievement was leaving the Bears with the 4th pick in the 1975 draft which Jim Finks used to pick Walter Payton.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:06 pm

The trade for Khalil Mack happened in Nagy’s first year with the team. Roquan Smith was the first round draft pick that year.

The first first round pick the Bears had since Roquan under Nagy was Fields.

The second round picks were James Daniels who is okay but nothing special and Anthony Miller who was a bust. In 2019 he traded up for David Montgomery which is a good pick but costed multiple draft picks which is not good value for the running back position and Riley Ridley who is another bust. And after trading up for a RB he drafted another RB Kerryth Whyte another bust.

In 2020, he drafted Kmet who has been okay and Mooney who has been good except for the drops. Plus, two seventh round offensive linemen who haven’t done anything. Simmons played one game and gave up multiple sacks.

As far as free agents go, Mike Davis played like two snaps because he was more valuable in the compensatory formula. Taylor Gabriel came from Atlanta and had concussion issues which led to his retirement, Trey Burton had never played the role Pace brought him in to play and he also had injury issues and some mental health issues that Pace was either unaware of or didn’t care about.

And Pace had to sign him because Shaheen who he spent a second round pick on sucked.

Jordan Howard was at the end of his contract Nagy’s first year and it’s generally stupid from a value perspective to resign them. And Howard was so good for them they drafted Miles Sanders.

Patterson carried the Bears special teams and made several key contributions on offense. New England let him go despite being depleted on offense.

And the Bears couldn’t resign him because of how Pace mismanaged the cap.

Lol @ a journeyman backup like Chase Daniel being
signed meaning anything.

Justin Fields is a rookie and has had ups and downs as a rookie would have under any head coach. It’s a rarity for any coach to win with rookies.

Mitch Trubisky will go down as one of the worst draft blunders in NFL history. Any other team in the NFL would have fired Pace for that. By the way, Trubisky is a backup and throwing garbage time interceptions because he still can’t read defenses even under a new coaching staff.

Ryan Pace has had two coaches. Let me repeat that, Ryan Pace has had two head coaches. One of them won a SuperBowl with another organization. Even if you think Nagy is the worst coach ever, Fox had a track record of competence elsewhere.

The offense has looked like garbage with both of them and had an underwhelming amount of offensive talent.

Ryan Pace is the common denominator in the Bears string of offensive ineptitude.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

John Fox never won a Super bowl TheWorldBreaker, although he did lose two with different teams. Gabriel did indeed come from Atlanta not KC, my bad.

The point is that Pace has continually tried to get Nagy what he needs to make his offense work and no matter which players Nagy has had it hasn't improved one iota.

Now that could be down to the quality of players Pace has brought in both in free agency and the draft, but there are reasons to doubt that.

Pace steadily rebuilt the worst defense in franchise history to the best in the league in 4 years through a combination of astute drafting, free agent acquisitions and a blockbuster trade. He had misses along the way, but the results spoke for themselves. Can a GM succeed so well on one side of the ball and be completely inept on the other side? It's possible, but seems unlikely especially in light of finding obvious talents like RBs Howard, Cohen, Montgomery, Herbert and Patterson, WRs Robinson coming off an ACL injury and Mooney, OL Whitehair, Daniels and now Borom, TE Kmet (heck even Shaheen signed a two-year extension weeks after being traded to Miami and is still there). They might not all be Pro Bowl talents, but they have shown enough to demonstrate they belong in the NFL. The problem is It is hard to point to one offensive player who has shown any significant degree of improvement under Nagy.

Then there's the issue of QB. Nagy's had 4 of them and none have enjoyed much success. Trubisky was actually the most successful! A Super Bowl MVP who won playing in a supposedly similar offense didn't do any better. The guy who's started 145 NFL games has yet to put up more than a handful of points in a game. The great hope, who many believed was the 2nd best QB in the draft with an impressive record in college, has struggled so far in game plans that often don't play to his strengths.

And lets not forget the assistant coaches. Is Furrey is the only one Nagy has kept during the four years of his tenure? Did any of his current crop even have jobs when he hired them?

In short, the failure of the offense year-after-year cannot all be down to the GM, the players and the assistant coaches. The common denominator is Nagy. He's proven to be an abysmal play caller, a dire game manager and an utter failure at developing talent. Even his evasiveness in pressers hasn't endeared him to the media. At least this week he had the common sense to acknowledge the precariousness of his position and to heap praise on his players, even if it did seem a bit hollow after scraping a win against the hapless Lions.

I'm on the fence about the job Pace has done and wouldn't be bothered if he gets canned at the end of the season, but in the unlikely event Nagy ever gets another shot with another GM and looks like 'the coach we expected to get' then it would shock the heck out of pretty much everyone but you. Maybe he would be able to take time and reflect on his failings and come back a different man and different coach, but in four years he's shown no signs at all being capable of that type of self improvement.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:23 pm Yea, that. Nagy sucks. I have a theory about 2018 too. I think John Fox created a typical John Fox team, remember he was brought in to toughen up our team that went soft and quit on Trestman. Our OL played it's best football under Fox, gashing teams with the run game / Jordan Howard. Our D got real tough, under both Fox and Fangio after the awful Mel Tucker years. That team was building a tough identity under Fox, who then was replaced by Nagy. Nagy put his little fancy Nagy sprinkles on top of an already tough team that kept Fangio around, and his Nagyness actually worked because it was unexpected and executed by tough discipline players. That all faded rather quickly as Fox left, followed by Fangio, and the team steadily took on more and more of Nagy's persona. We got worse and worse every year, softer and softer, more penalized particularly pre-snap, looked lost and confused a lot and lacked an identity. After 4 years, this is Nagy's team now and the remnants of Fox/Vic are no longer present - and the results speak for themselves. Nagy can't leave soon enough.

He gets nearly no credit from me now for 2018 given the benefit of hindsight. He rode someone else's team to achieve that, a historic defense built by someone else. He shocked some teams, particularly in the red zone, with zany nagy stuff - but that wore off quick and the naked emperor was exposed.
This is exactly right.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:05 am Nagy's anemic offensives almost make you forget how poorly disciplined and prepared this team has been for most of his tenure.
If he was going to grow into the job he would have done it by now. He is simply not head coach material.
He will probably find a role as an offensive assistant somewhere that keeps as far away from any real responsibility as possible.

But he is not the worst coach in my lifetime. That would be Abe Gibron who managed 11 victories in 3 seasons.
His crowning achievement was leaving the Bears with the 4th pick in the 1975 draft which Jim Finks used to pick Walter Payton.
Jim Dooley: 3 losing seasons including the infamous 1-13 record in 1969.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I started my Bears fandom when Ditka was our HC. It's hard to put Nagy as the worst on the list when we have such a shitty list lol:

Ditka, Wanny, Jauron, Lovie, Trestman, Fox, and Nagy are the only coaches I've known. Ditka and Lovie were the only good ones. No one reached the lows of Trestman, but I'd also say Trestman probably had the best scheme / offense of the bunch. Jauron, Wanny, and Fox were just blah. And Nagy is a good leader, with a good W/L resume, but just a terrible offense and in rapid decline. He and Fox probably share the worst "game day coach/adjustment" label - both are just moronic in that regard.

Once you take Ditka and Lovie out, it's really hard to distinguish the rest. Kind of like trying to pluck a peanut out of a turd salad. Gun to my head I'd order them this way (best to worst, relative to each other): Jauron, Fox, Nagy, Wanny, Trestman. Trestman loses because a) he looks like a pedo and b) we reached our lowest of lows as a franchise with him. Putting Dick Jauron at the top of this list hurts, and is a stinging indictment of our franchise. He sucked.