The Firing Of Lovie Smith: A Double Standard

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/24/t ... vie-smith/

A trip to the Super Bowl with Rex fucking Grossman as the QB.

A trip to the NFC Championship game.

Dominant defense after dominant defense.

None of it mattered.

His last season as HC, we won 10 games. If Green Bay beat Minnesota in the last week of the season we would've gotten into the playoffs.

Despite all of that, Lovie Smith was fired.

Now in comparison, how in the hell does Matt Nagy still have a job?
dplank
Hall of Famer

He won't for long.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:35 pm https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/24/t ... vie-smith/

None of it mattered.

His last season as HC, we won 10 games. If Green Bay beat Minnesota in the last week of the season we would've gotten into the playoffs.

Matt Nagy is in his 4th year and made the playoffs in two of his first three years.

Lovie was the coach for a decade and at the end would constantly lose crucial games and then when the season was basically over would just win meaningless games that only really served to cost the Bears draft position.

Also, it seems pretty clear Nagy is not going to be back next year, so I don’t even know what the point of this is.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Also, Phil Emery was a complete dumbass. So, there's that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:35 pm https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/24/t ... vie-smith/

None of it mattered.

if Lovie Smith had hired a legitimate offensive coordinator and simply turned that entire side of the team over to that person, he would have had a much longer Bears tenure ... because the problem with his Bears teams was the offense ... just think of that Monday Night game in Arizona ... the defense score most of the points and was the reason they won ... the offense unfortunately had Bad Rex running it that night and couldn't do anything of worth ... and that game led to the most epic head coach post game meltdown of all time, with Dennis Green completely losing his shit

I was always a bit puzzled he was canned after a 10 win season ... I suspected then there was behind the scenes stuff going on that we weren't aware of that played more into his firing than just team results
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:03 pm

None of it mattered.

Matt Nagy is in his 4th year and made the playoffs in two of his first three years.

Lovie was the coach for a decade and at the end would constantly lose crucial games and then when the season was basically over would just win meaningless games that only really served to cost the Bears draft position.

Also, it seems pretty clear Nagy is not going to be back next year, so I don’t even know what the point of this is.
If my original post has no point and yet you responded to it, then what point does your response have?

Any number times 0 = 0.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:35 pm

None of it mattered.

if Lovie Smith had hired a legitimate offensive coordinator and simply turned that entire side of the team over to that person, he would have had a much longer Bears tenure ... because the problem with his Bears teams was the offense ... just think of that Monday Night game in Arizona ... the defense score most of the points and was the reason they won ... the offense unfortunately had Bad Rex running it that night and couldn't do anything of worth ... and that game led to the most epic head coach post game meltdown of all time, with Dennis Green completely losing his shit

I was always a bit puzzled he was canned after a 10 win season ... I suspected then there was behind the scenes stuff going on that we weren't aware of that played more into his firing than just team results
And that was Lovie's greatest flaw. He was stupid when it came to the offense. He never had the Fangio level coordinator that Nagy had for the opposite side of the ball. Had Lovie ever had that, things would be different.

Angelo fucked Lovie over good and hard too.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:45 pm He won't for long.
I don't care if the Proud Bears, the Boogaloo Bears, and Bears Lives Matter have to band together and storm Halas Hall at the end of the regular season Matt Nagy cannot be coaching this team next season.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:58 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:03 pm

If my original post has no point and yet you responded to it, then what point does your response have?

Any number times 0 = 0.
My point was to express my confusion about you apparently not understanding what a double standard is and then using that lack of understanding to complain about a guy that will be fired in six weeks not being fired yet.
spudbear
MVP

TMP may have been wondering why Nagy was let go at the end of last season, when compared to Lubbie.

I had to look it up Lubbie's journey after the Bears. He was signed to a five year contract as HC for Tampa Bay. After two seasons and 8-24 record he was let go. He immediately went to U of Ill as HC again, and amassed a 17-39 record after 5 seasons before being shown the door. I was not aware that he is now in Houston as DC (and associate HC) under HC Cullers. Hmm.

I still contend that Lubbie lucked into having Urlacher as an on-field (and locker room) coach, and combined with the defensive talent they had on the team any semblance of a decent offense would have brought some more W's, including post-season. Ah well, it's piss down the drain at this point.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

Lovie gaining more power over draft/personnel is what doomed his Bears tenure. They went from drafting Matt Forte and Charles Tillman to drafting Garret Wolfe and Dan Bazuin.
Ormazd
MVP

2012 was such a weird season. Bears started 7-1, then dropped 5 of 6. Won the last two just to have a chance for the playoffs. IIRC, no one was clamoring for Lubbie to stick around.