Bears Most Attractive Job?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

When's the last time Jay Mariotti was relevant? Obviously I don't follow every other local media market, but I think any media markets gets their clicks by being negative when things are bad. If things are good the press will be generally glowing. Other than just the function of size, I'm skeptical Chicago is unique in that regard.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:17 pm The Bears has to be one of the most desirable posts in the NFL, but it does have one major drawback that affects that--the Chicago Media.

Chicago Journalists are hellbent on their negativity towards the Bears. Look at Skippy Ballless and Jay Moronotti as two quick examples. The Chicago Media is unflinchingly negative towards the Bears and seems to want to gloat in casting flaming arrows at the franchise, thus also igniting the negativity of an otherwise premiere fanbase.
Completely disagree

While Major Market cities probably are in general a little tougher on players and execs, in general, the idea that Chicago Media is unfairly harsh is ludicrous. Nearly all of them absolutely LOVE when the Bears are doing well and fans are interested - more listeners, more downloads, more hits, more clicks.
The trouble is, the Bears are badly run and don't do well that often. If anything, Chicago Media is far too timid and lets nonsense go unchallenged far too often, unless the team is in Full Meltdown.
Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:17 pm And FWIW, I wouldn't give up on Nagy's chances of returning until we're actually knocked from the playoffs. Do you realize that we're only a game back from the final spot? Yeah, we have a tough road to hoe, but I'm not yet giving up on them. It starts with the next step. Yeah, we're facing the number one team in the conference next, but it's also a warm weather team that has to come to Chicago to play in the rain in 40 degree weather. We can beat them. That's what I think.
If the first half didn't give it away, this part definitely does

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 pm When's the last time Jay Mariotti was relevant? Obviously I don't follow every other local media market, but I think any media markets gets their clicks by being negative when things are bad. If things are good the press will be generally glowing. Other than just the function of size, I'm skeptical Chicago is unique in that regard.
I have spent extended periods of time in cities throughout the country: Chicago, Indianapolis Orlando, Phoenix, Denver, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and I can assure you that Chicago is the worst, BY FAR. The most successful sports journalists in Chicago are invariable those that dump on the Bears or are hypercritical of them. And believe me, it's not simply because the Bears haven't been good. They were doing it throughout the eighties as well. In fact, that's when I first really noticed it. Remember Mike Ditka's tangles with the Chicago Press:

Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:17 pm And FWIW, I wouldn't give up on Nagy's chances of returning until we're actually knocked from the playoffs. Do you realize that we're only a game back from the final spot? Yeah, we have a tough road to hoe, but I'm not yet giving up on them. It starts with the next step. Yeah, we're facing the number one team in the conference next, but it's also a warm weather team that has to come to Chicago to play in the rain in 40 degree weather. We can beat them. That's what I think.
If the first half didn't give it away, this part definitely does

No, Moriarty. The second part was simply an addendum. That's why I said FWIW. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the "attractiveness" of the Bear job. If it does, perhaps you can explain it to me, as I still can't see what it could possibly have given away.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 am No, Moriarty. The second part was simply an addendum. That's why I said FWIW. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the "attractiveness" of the Bear job. If it does, perhaps you can explain it to me, as I still can't see what it could possibly have given away.
Yogi, I mean that your viewpoint is wildly optimistic, pro-team, anti-anything that isn't pro-team, Homerific biased, and therefore your criticism of the media for being too mean isn't very trustworthy.

If I'd have come to this board for the first time yesterday, I would have been 95%+ sure that your post was some sort of tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic/comedic bit. Knowing you is the only reason I knew you meant it sincerely.

wab
Mod

IMO the only way Nagy returns is if he wins out and wins a wildcard game.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:10 am Remember Mike Ditka's tangles with the Chicago Press:
Remember Ditka's 'tangles' with fans?

players?

his own coaching staff?

I think you may want to consider that it's saying more about Ditka than the press

dplank
Hall of Famer

Having lived in Chicago, Denver, DC, Baltimore, and Miami I will agree that Chicago has the harshest coverage of their team of these 5. That said, they also have the most passionate coverage, and the most volume as well, and that passion can cut both positive and negative. Because Bears, it's slanted negative as it should. Negative coverage for a bottom 5 performing franchise with a very passionate fan base over the last 30 years makes sense.

I just don't think coaches give a flying fuck about this. I can't fathom a coach thinking "Wow, I have a chance to coach one of the biggest and most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, but their reporters are mean so I'm gonna go coach fucking Jacksonville instead." There's just no way. At most its a minor irritant.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Maybe our lack of cheerleaders bothers some coaches. It's an oddity these day's and some guys might be put off by that.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Bears inept ownership and upper management doesn't know how to hire a competent GM so it is no surprise that they lack the tools to evaluate performance.
Winning seasons, playoffs and championships are the most obvious metric but they are apparently subordinate to collegiality and communication skills. Pace survives because he convinces the dolts in charge that success is just around the corner.
The next guy may or may not get two or three extra years because of a winning smile and can do attitude or he may not.
I get why people say it's a great job on paper, but working for idiots, engaged or not is never an ideal situation.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:21 am Maybe our lack of cheerleaders bothers some coaches. It's an oddity these day's and some guys might be put off by that.
Probably a big deal breaker for Urban Meyer.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

One way I look at the desireability of a team is does it attract free agents. For example, the Bulls post-Jordan until last year seemed to be shunned by all top free agents despite the size of the market. Guys know when an organization isn't well run. That's changed with the hirings of Artūras Karnišovas as Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations and Marc Everly as General Manager as well as snagging Billy Donovan as Head Coach. The Bears, despite lack of real success on the field, though, have never had this issue getting a guy they set their sights on. They've just largely been a shit show actually playing consistent decent football and need to set a successful knowledgeable management in place.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Skip and Jay haven't been relevant in Chicago media in seemingly almost a decade

Maybe a Coach isn't coming here because Grantland Rice said something negative about Red Grange too?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am Having lived in Chicago, Denver, DC, Baltimore, and Miami I will agree that Chicago has the harshest coverage of their team of these 5. That said, they also have the most passionate coverage, and the most volume as well, and that passion can cut both positive and negative. Because Bears, it's slanted negative as it should. Negative coverage for a bottom 5 performing franchise with a very passionate fan base over the last 30 years makes sense.

I just don't think coaches give a flying fuck about this. I can't fathom a coach thinking "Wow, I have a chance to coach one of the biggest and most iconic franchises in worldwide sport, but their reporters are mean so I'm gonna go coach fucking Jacksonville instead." There's just no way. At most its a minor irritant.
That was my point DP. Prospective coaches don't even consider it, but they probably should. What do you think Nagy feels about being booed at his son's high school game? Think maybe he believes, "wow, maybe I should have considered this" now?
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am Having lived in Chicago, Denver, DC, Baltimore, and Miami I will agree that Chicago has the harshest coverage of their team of these 5. That said, they also have the most passionate coverage, and the most volume as well, and that passion can cut both positive and negative. Because Bears, it's slanted negative as it should. Negative coverage for a bottom 5 performing franchise with a very passionate fan base over the last 30 years makes sense.

If a professional coach can't handle criticism from the local media then he's not fit to be a coach.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:57 pm Chicago will always be a top tier job. Sometimes a little better than others depending on various circumstances, but the allure of coaching / GMing the iconic Bears franchise is a huge draw. Add in JF1 and it’s super hot, best available job for sure. Only a few franchises have the draw of Chicago and it doesn’t look like any of those jobs will have openings.

Don’t forget how big of football fans these coaches are, this stuff matters a lot to them. RBs and MLBs that play here feel the history, we all accept that, but coaches feel that stuff too. The city, the history, iconic all around. Coaches will be climbing over each other to coach here, that’s really never been a problem. We’ve had first choice of talent but have missed.

Looking at the other franchises that might be hiring this off season and none rate.
Chicago is one of the largest sports markets in the US. The Blackhawks hadn't won in decades, and when Quenneville accomplished that task, fans were ready to build a shrine to him. When Theo and Madden won with the Cubs they were instantly elevated to rock star status. Any coach would LOVE the opportunity to come to Chicago and get the job done after decades of championship drought. This is a premier market. This is a highly sought after job. Anyone who is competitive (and most NFL HC's are to a fault), wants to come into a train wreck and show everyone what they can do.
docc
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:12 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:57 pm Chicago will always be a top tier job. Sometimes a little better than others depending on various circumstances, but the allure of coaching / GMing the iconic Bears franchise is a huge draw. Add in JF1 and it’s super hot, best available job for sure. Only a few franchises have the draw of Chicago and it doesn’t look like any of those jobs will have openings.

Don’t forget how big of football fans these coaches are, this stuff matters a lot to them. RBs and MLBs that play here feel the history, we all accept that, but coaches feel that stuff too. The city, the history, iconic all around. Coaches will be climbing over each other to coach here, that’s really never been a problem. We’ve had first choice of talent but have missed.

Looking at the other franchises that might be hiring this off season and none rate.
Chicago is one of the largest sports markets in the US. The Blackhawks hadn't won in decades, and when Quenneville accomplished that task, fans were ready to build a shrine to him. When Theo and Madden won with the Cubs they were instantly elevated to rock star status. Any coach would LOVE the opportunity to come to Chicago and get the job done after decades of championship drought. This is a premier market. This is a highly sought after job. Anyone who is competitive (and most NFL HC's are to a fault), wants to come into a train wreck and show everyone what they can do.
While what you're saying is accurate there's a huge problem.

The Blackhawks were willing to change the whole Wirtz - Pulford disaster.

The Cubs were willing to hire proven winners with Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon.

The Bears never land THE GUY.

Ever since Ditka it has been some milquetoast beta male coordinator that is soft spoken and just goes with the flow. The lone exception was John Fox whom Ernie Arcosi sold to the McCaskey's.

But the McCaskeys themselves are incapable of landing the big one.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d be happy with Sean Payton if the Saints let us have him.
Local lad, bears fan, ex-player, winner, doesn’t take any prisoners, handles the media firmly, future coaching HoF and proven at producing wonderful offenses.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dave99
Assistant Coach

Whatever they do for coach, no more wonderkids. I want someone with a track record that can be objectively assessed instead of an up and comer whose chance of success has to be extrapolated based upon who they worked for or some very slim volume of experience.
Maybe some teams and management can make this work but it is pretty clear our current group cannot.
Pace and George may be the poster boys for halo bias.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am I’d be happy with Sean Payton if the Saints let us have him.
Local lad, bears fan, ex-player, winner, doesn’t take any prisoners, handles the media firmly, future coaching HoF and proven at producing wonderful offenses.
If we are allowed to dream about current HCs, Payton would top my list. I’d also love to get Tomlin or Shanahan. I don’t see any of them being available tho.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am I’d be happy with Sean Payton if the Saints let us have him.
If we are allowed to dream about current HCs, Payton would top my list. I’d also love to get Tomlin or Shanahan. I don’t see any of them being available tho.
Payton has lost 5 on the bounce so you never know.
Last edited by Ditka’s dictaphone on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm really not trying to be an asshole (for the first time in forever), but the Sal From Cicero element needs to leave this conversation.

Allow me to contribute though.

I want the Bears to trade Nick Foles to the Patriots for Bill Belichick.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 am I'm really not trying to be an asshole (for the first time in forever), but the Sal From Cicero element needs to leave this conversation.

Sal would never.

The demand must be a former '85 Bear.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:04 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 am I'm really not trying to be an asshole (for the first time in forever), but the Sal From Cicero element needs to leave this conversation.

Sal would never.

I mean, I'd trade Nick Foles for Leslie Frazier at DC. Heck, I might trade Foles for Leslie Nielsen or Frasier Crane.

But otherwise, yeah. Realistic options should be the focus of any speculation. Of course we'd all be thrilled to land Sean Payton. But that's as likely to happen as an NFL team hiring Mike Ditka.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am
Sign me up for any of those guys! :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:04 am

Sal would never.

HEY BERNSIE IT'S ME SAL FROM CICERO!

I'm sitting down at the Ale House with the guys from the lodge having a polish and I figured out how to fix Da Bears.

Can't we just trade Nick Foles, who beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl which means he's smarter than Belichick, and a vial of Dan Hampton's sperm to the Pats for The Hoodie?

IT'S A WIN WIN RIGHT?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Easy to mock.

Not so easy to tempt “Harbaugh” or “Ryan Pace”

🤔

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm
pus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:21 am Maybe our lack of cheerleaders bothers some coaches. It's an oddity these day's and some guys might be put off by that.
Probably a big deal breaker for Urban Meyer.
Bravo