UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm

There were reports that McDaniels came away impressed with George McCaskey and Ryan Pace, and that our leadership liked him as well.

Who knows, maybe the guy has grown or maybe he's still a pompous little shit. I don't care, his track record speaks for himself and we need someone to develop JF1.
Interesting. Is his pride okay with coming back for round 2 after getting passed up?

There's obvious reasons to find him scummy. So I can't say I'd fall in love with him from a fan perspective, but winning cures a lot and there's good reason to believe he could do that.
Well, he accepted and then backed out of the Colts job that year so he doesn't really have a leg to stand on IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:59 pm
pus wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm As long as he doesn't treat Fields like he treated Cutler I am on board 100%.
I think they're fairly different people.

Also - it's not like Cutler ever went out and proved McDaniels wrong. They pantsed the Bears in that trade.
They're different people and I'm thankful for that. :toast:

Just suppose Mcdaniels comes to the Bears along with a new gm that he is pals with. Is is not inconceivable that the two of them could cook up a reason to trade JF for a huge haul, and pants some other team?
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
G08
Hall of Famer

Pace gets kicked upstairs

Thomas Dimitroff comes in as GM

Josh McDaniels as head coach

Huh... I don't hate it!
IE
Hall of Famer

I'd be excited about McDaniels, if he was gettable. I'd be a bit more excited about Sean Payton. But either one would be a very positive thing for the development of an actual NFL offense in Chicago.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

pus wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:07 pmJust suppose Mcdaniels comes to the Bears along with a new gm that he is pals with. Is is not inconceivable that the two of them could cook up a reason to trade JF for a huge haul, and pants some other team?
Just to draft the next Tebow
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not knowing Cutler personally, it just seems from everything I read that he was difficult to get along with and to coach. JF seems like the polar opposite. I can't see him not checking all the boxes for a prospective coach, like Lamar Jackson but a better thrower and perhaps a bit slower but not much.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:18 pm Pace gets kicked upstairs

Huh... I don't hate it!
Pace would be a major upgrade over Phillips as Team President. At least hes an actual football guy instead of an accountant. How some one can run a football team for thirty years and still not know anything about the game is mind boggling? Move Ted out and out into the money side of the office but keep him away from on field decisions.
G08
Hall of Famer

Kylo Bearen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:10 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:18 pm Pace gets kicked upstairs

Huh... I don't hate it!
Pace would be a major upgrade over Phillips as Team President. At least hes an actual football guy instead of an accountant. How some one can run a football team for thirty years and still not know anything about the game is mind boggling? Move Ted out and out into the money side of the office but keep him away from on field decisions.
Just keep Ted around to get the Arlington Heights stadium done, then ceremoniously launch him to the moon.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 am
cblaz11 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:24 am

Agreed…but who?

Harbaugh probably isn’t happening…

Shanahan probably won’t get fired….

Tomlin maybe….but probably won’t get fired

Doug Pederson? Who?
Vance Joseph, Cards D coordinator? Todd Bowles - Bucs D coordinator? Leslie Frazier - Buffalo D coordinator? Dan Quinn - Cowboys D coordinator? The problem with finding a former HC is that word 'former', as in failed in a previous HC job in one form or fashion. Maybe they learned from their failures.
Bill Behlicheck and Mike Shanahan failed their first go's as HCs then won multiple Super Bowls when given another shot. Like with a first time coach its 50/50.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

I would gladly welcome Harbaugh becoming Chi's next coach. I would also gladly accept Jennifer Lawrence's hand in marriage too. Neither of which are going to happen.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:14 pm I'm starting to lean towards Sean Payton as my "dream get" for the Bears at QB.
We've been down that road before and it wasn't pretty. I doubt he'll be any better 35 years on! ;)

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yeah I doubt it would happen but hes logically the top option if available.

I would never leave college if I was a coach. If you have a half way decent program you are treated as a god. Barry Alvarez in Madison is literally treated like a god. He was decent but the power he carries there is insane. You get paid an amazing salary. It overall seems way better then an NFL HC.
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 am Yeah I doubt it would happen but hes logically the top option if available.

I would never leave college of I was a coach. If you have a half way decent program you are treated as a god. Barry Alvarez in Madison is literally treated like a god. He was decent but the power he carries their is insane. You get paid an amazing salary. It overall seems way better then an NFL HC.
That's exactly how I would I do it.

Get into a college program, make it as top tier as you can, and stay there forever.
IE
Hall of Famer

Awesome pic!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Sugashane
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Dude the JF1 avatar was way better
I feel like it was bad luck :lol:
If disney plus stock starts tanking we will know it was you the entire time then lol
Sugashane
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:11 pm
Kylo Bearen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Just keep Ted around to get the Arlington Heights stadium done, then ceremoniously launch him to the moon.
Janitors can even Bears versions of the terrible towels that can be used to celebrate Ted going to the moon.

We can call them STDs - Sweaty Teddy Dishrags. :-P
G08
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:01 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 pm

I feel like it was bad luck :lol:
If disney plus stock starts tanking we will know it was you the entire time then lol
:lol:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Every time I open this thread, I can't stop singing:

He steals from the rich
And gives to the poor
Kellen Moore!
Kellen Moore!
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:51 pm
Sugashane wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:01 pm

:lol:
Um, when exactly did you change your avatar G08? :?

The Walt Disney Company stock chart for the last 3 months:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm
otis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:29 pm What about bill Obrien? A winning record. Coached Watson successfuly. Seemed to have a good team. Went to shit when he became gm. I'm more on board with a previous head coach than a oc, first time coach. Enough letting people earn their stripes on our dime.
Did he coach Watson successfully or did Watson make it appear that way if you weren’t paying attention and didn’t notice Watson getting out of sacks and making plays happen like a magician?

O’Brien failed as a GM and then ultimately as a coach in the NFL because he thought he was smarter than everyone else. That’s a fatal flaw.

Hard pass.
He was as winning with as much with Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as he was with Watson - Watson loves taking sacks - almost like he likes being in strong hands
RichH55
Hall of Famer

otis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:29 pm What about bill Obrien? A winning record. Coached Watson successfuly. Seemed to have a good team. Went to shit when he became gm. I'm more on board with a previous head coach than a oc, first time coach. Enough letting people earn their stripes on our dime.
Did he coach Watson successfully or did Watson make it appear that way if you weren’t paying attention and didn’t notice Watson getting out of sacks and making plays happen like a magician?

O’Brien failed as a GM and then ultimately as a coach in the NFL because he thought he was smarter than everyone else. That’s a fatal flaw.

Hard pass.

I think the magician thing is a trick of the mind too.

You know what doesn't look like magic? Reading the Defense properly and getting the ball out on time. It looks ho-hum but it's incredibly difficult to do - and its how you win games and score points

Watson last year with Texans - they were NOT top Half in Points Scored - And that was with 2 games against a tanking Jags team, Another against Lions, and 2 against the Titans who were a bottom 10 team last year in terms of Points Allowed

For baseball fans - it's very Devon White v. Jim Edmonds - Devon was vastly, vastly superior as a Defensive CF - He read the ball off the bat better, ran faster, and took better routes. But Jim Edmonds looked like he TRIED! (The magician!). Here's the thing: When you read the ball better, run faster, and take the better route - The ball that Jim Edmonds is Diving for - You are making look routine. And you are getting to alot more balls than Edmonds

But the casual fan? They like the showmanship.

There was an Athletic article on Rodgers v. the Rams that I was I could post - It shows just how absolutely crucial the QB is to Pass Protection - There were MULTIPLE plays were Aaron Donald beat his guy clean and INSTANTLY and didn't lay a hand on Rodgers - Read the D, get the ball out!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

You can tell Mickey is holding onto the ball too long as well
Sugashane
Player of the Month

@dplank Sorry man, I was piecing together this from another site on some of my posts while debating Harbaugh but we got some really bad news. Got it wrapped up now.

Harbaugh actually would be a really good get IMO.

Harbaugh was 44-19-1 with 5 playoff wins. Harbs also brought along a young Colin Kaepernick. SF was top 10 in Offense DVOA in 2012 and 2013. Bears under Nagy have never been higher than 20th. ( <------ This line was another poster's)

The offense was pretty basic and played to Kaep's strengths and was still a pro-style offense with bits of college schemes that helped Kaep feel comfortable and played to his athleticism. Kaep has never been a good passer but their cast was never impressive (skill positions overall, not the OL. OL was a bunch of bullies and I loved it). Their offense was also never meant to be super explosive, but rather beat the defense down with a punishing OL and run game. Frank Gore was the definition of a battering ram, Davis was a freak athlete but never the receiver he was hoped to be, and his best receiver at any point was either Crabtree (hell of a number two but not a real number one like Moony IMO) or Anquan Boldin (who was 33 his first season in SF). One year Bruce Smith was the 3rd most targeted player. If he had Fields, ARob, Mooney and the duo of RBs we have then I see zero reason his offense wouldn't work. He would have to keep adding talent to the OL but the one thing they actually do pretty well is run block. We have had more receiving talent here in Chicago since 2018 than they had in his 4 years in SF.

I'm not sure there is a need to adapt the system as much as the talent that fits in the system. Same thing with BAL. If they had a guy that wasn't a generational freak athlete at QB they would have to be more traditional in passing. But it works for them. If Kaep was a better passer then they likely would have put more on his plate. Fitting the system to the talent is a plus IMO, not a detriment.

That defense would be the strength of 31 teams in the NFL every year. Keeping them fresh with TOP being in SF's favor only meant they were able to keep their best players fresher, and more effective.

As for Harbaugh, dude literally won almost 70% of his games over 4 seasons and did so with a borderline incompetent GM. The last time the Bears had that kind of winning record was under Ditka with one of the top teams/rosters in NFL history. And like Harbaugh, Ditka is/was a loudmouth childish jackass too. But he won for a good long time. That is about all that matters in the NFL. Harbaugh won a lot of games and I've made fun of his tantrums and such on the sidelines, but from Stanford to SF to Michigan he has won a lot at every stop.

On why Jim and SF split -
The actual facts are there were struggles because Jim was annoyed with stupid moves by FO and them undercutting him - in his opinion. They were mad he went back at them and refused to let him have more control over the roster when they wouldn't accept his input on needs. York and Baalke wanted Jim gone because they thought they were the ones who made the team go to 3 NFC Championships, Jim said he'd be fine with leaving and would enjoy watching them fail essentially, and they split. He then got a monster deal to coach at his alma mater. Well now they have split and Harbaugh has helped resurrect Michigan while SF has had one winning season without Jim. Baalke has been fired and shown his incompetence in JAX already, and SF is looking like anywhere from mediocre to crap overall, again. All facts.

Harbaugh has had a hell of a lot more success than York and Baalke have since the split. I'd say Harbaugh has won that split in spades. And if you were told after averaging like 11 wins per year that these two dbags were trying to trade you to CLE, wouldn't you be pissed? I'd be livid. Then they compared it to the Warriors firing Mark Jackson for Steve Kerr too. Beyond incompetent. Baalke is also the one who took the Jags job and decided Urban Meyer was the man to develop Lawrence. You know, because he is so well known for working on a QB's mechanics and timing (poor Tebow). lol From everything I have read they moved on from him, it wasn't mutual or his choice.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:26 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:08 pm Bowles is still my guy.
I like him a lot, ditto on his first go round, but who is his offensive coordinator?

And do we risk continuing to shuttle OCs in and out on almost a yearly basis?
I'd love to get Rick Smith as the GM
Todd Bowles as the HC
Bill O'Brien as the OC (linked to Smith)

AZ on the other forum mentioned BOB and I love the idea. He's not going to be a HC anytime soon no matter how good the offense becomes because of the HOU disaster, but he has a lot of work done with Watson and the offense was pretty damn explosive with Watson. Get a guy who has experience as a HC, has ran a great offense, and headed the development of Watson from the get go - who is very similar to Fields. Plus no one will poach him as a HC? Sweet.

I love it. He can be the OC for me regardless of who the HC is.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Nice write up. If Harbaugh was only be hired as a HC, he'd probably be the clear top choice if available. Only reason he's questionable, IMO, is he'd probably require some level of roster control, which is an area he is inexperienced with at the pro level. But I'd be fine with hiring him first and then a GM, of which he'd lead the search on, but not necessarily have full control. That would be ideal.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Michigan is playing in the FBS championship series, they won the Big 10. Harbaugh's not going anywhere. Which is too bad.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Hard pass.

I think the magician thing is a trick of the mind too.

You know what doesn't look like magic? Reading the Defense properly and getting the ball out on time. It looks ho-hum but it's incredibly difficult to do - and its how you win games and score points

Watson last year with Texans - they were NOT top Half in Points Scored - And that was with 2 games against a tanking Jags team, Another against Lions, and 2 against the Titans who were a bottom 10 team last year in terms of Points Allowed

For baseball fans - it's very Devon White v. Jim Edmonds - Devon was vastly, vastly superior as a Defensive CF - He read the ball off the bat better, ran faster, and took better routes. But Jim Edmonds looked like he TRIED! (The magician!). Here's the thing: When you read the ball better, run faster, and take the better route - The ball that Jim Edmonds is Diving for - You are making look routine. And you are getting to alot more balls than Edmonds

But the casual fan? They like the showmanship.

There was an Athletic article on Rodgers v. the Rams that I was I could post - It shows just how absolutely crucial the QB is to Pass Protection - There were MULTIPLE plays were Aaron Donald beat his guy clean and INSTANTLY and didn't lay a hand on Rodgers - Read the D, get the ball out!
Well, that’s great for Rodgers but with Watson he was frequently able to escape arm tackles and make something out of nothing on scramble drills, so I’m not sure what you’re saying here is applicable.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:23 pm Michigan is playing in the FBS championship series, they won the Big 10. Harbaugh's not going anywhere. Which is too bad.
Apparently he had to take an extension at a discounted rate to stay at Michigan. Maybe he tells them to piss off by coming to the NFL. His buyout is less than $2 mil too.

I'm not betting on it but weirder things have happened.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:23 pm Michigan is playing in the FBS championship series, they won the Big 10. Harbaugh's not going anywhere. Which is too bad.
If he wants back in the NFL, he can make that happen. And we would be the likely destination IMO. I’m not sure he would be willing to give up the long term security of Michigan, but he’s a competitive guy and I bet he wants a Super Bowl ring. Can’t get those unless youre in the league.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:58 pm
If he wants back in the NFL, he can make that happen. And we would be the likely destination IMO. I’m not sure he would be willing to give up the long term security of Michigan, but he’s a competitive guy and I bet he wants a Super Bowl ring. Can’t get those unless youre in the league.
Cant see it happening this time around. If that is so, I hope it's a long time coming and not in 4 years.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.