Robinson

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

Since it appears to be a foregone conclusion that Robinson is probably gone at the end of the year, is his ' injury ' now him protecting himself so he doesnt get hurt in a losing cause?

Cant believe I can think of something so jaded, but I wouldnt put it past him.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Hero
Player of the Month

Add Hicks to that same category.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'll just remind you guys of: 1) Robert Quinn, who many said "got paid then quit caring" a year ago and 2) Eddie Goldman, who after missing the first couple games many said "His heart isn't in it anymore and he's going to fake injuries to collect paychecks".

Neither was true. These guys are football players who care about what they do, Robinson included. He will want to play as soon as he's able, at worst he may play it a little extra cautious so as to no risk a big injury - but he's not just blatantly not playing while healthy. Injuries happen.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Hero wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:20 pm Add Hicks to that same category.
Are you kidding? Hicks is as tough a guy as you'll find in the NFL. He's always played through pain. Remember him coming back after dislocating his elbow in London to play later in the season even though he was obviously in serious pain after every play? You'll never convince me that Hicks will not play unless he is absolutely unable to.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:16 pm I'll just remind you guys of: 1) Robert Quinn, who many said "got paid then quit caring" a year ago and 2) Eddie Goldman, who after missing the first couple games many said "His heart isn't in it anymore and he's going to fake injuries to collect paychecks".

Neither was true. These guys are football players who care about what they do, Robinson included. He will want to play as soon as he's able, at worst he may play it a little extra cautious so as to no risk a big injury - but he's not just blatantly not playing while healthy. Injuries happen.
Agreed. Robinson has a contract coming up. And he's never been a guy who wasn't a hard worker. Sitting out when he could play would not help his upcoming negotiations and word would get around on that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:16 pm I'll just remind you guys of: 1) Robert Quinn, who many said "got paid then quit caring" a year ago and 2) Eddie Goldman, who after missing the first couple games many said "His heart isn't in it anymore and he's going to fake injuries to collect paychecks".
Some people are very quick to attribute things to "effort" and "caring" that can be explained by other things.

Lumping Hicks in, after the way he's sucked it up and played hurt the last 2.5 yrs is really...something.

Robinson, I have some suspicion about. But I'm certainly not going to assume it. Hamstrings can legitimately be quite bad.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

can you imagine the contract offers they would get if they mailed it in because the season was lost and they wanted a payday? I cant either.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Hero
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:30 pm
Hero wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:20 pm Add Hicks to that same category.
Are you kidding? Hicks is as tough a guy as you'll find in the NFL. He's always played through pain. Remember him coming back after dislocating his elbow in London to play later in the season even though he was obviously in serious pain after every play? You'll never convince me that Hicks will not play unless he is absolutely unable to.
No you missed my point. I am a huge Hick fan. He knows the Bears aren't going to resign him so I don't blame him if he isn't playing for this bullshit ass team.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Robinsons big payday went out the window this year with his performance. He will make significantly less next season.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 am Robinsons big payday went out the window this year with his performance. He will make significantly less next season.

Swami says: He will take a 1 year deal for like 12M with a decent team so that he can try to build his value back up for a big deal the following off season.
UOK
Site Admin

Robinson got hurt making a huge catch. I don't know if he was dogging it before that necessarily, but I don't blame him if he was. Hicks keeps coming back too soon and re-injuring old hurts or discovering new ones.
spudbear
MVP

Part of me wants to believe ARob is dogging it, but I suppose it's mostly frustration to see the pass-catchers they're trotting out now: Mooney, some midgets and bobble-Kmet. ARob being out there the last three games would have made a difference. Pace is going to be scrambling to find decent pass catchers with size and speed. The Bears have plenty of fast small receivers, and it's not too difficult to find some more slow-big receivers.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
G08
Hall of Famer

Didn't he tear an ACL heading into free agency his first go round? I wouldn't blame him for trying to play it safe.

I also don't see him back here next season. Throw that $$$ at Michael Gallup and draft a corner high.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Very good post Dplank
RichH55
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:33 pm Didn't he tear an ACL heading into free agency his first go round? I wouldn't blame him for trying to play it safe.

I also don't see him back here next season. Throw that $$$ at Michael Gallup and draft a corner high.
I don't get the Gallup stuff to be honest

Also remember we need to be somewhat smart in playing the Comp Pick game this offseason

Between Robinson, Hicks, Nichols, and even Dalton - we could be in line for 3 good picks

I am not giving up a 3rd rounder for the right to overpay Gallup

Would I take on too much $$ on like a Brandon Cooks contract after he's cut - or pay a conditional 7th to get to overpay him? I believe I would
wulfy
MVP

Gallup has proven to be a good slot WR - his work on the outside in the absence of Lamb and Cooper showed he's best as the 3rd WR with two alphas outside.

I don't buy the ARob mailing it in scenario - his absence, after a very poor first half of the season, raises more questions about him for someone who wants to pay him huge bucks. Remember, ARob was putting himself on the list of the Top 5 WRs in the game - there is no way anyone has him anywhere near that now. Best thing he could do is get out there and finish strong.
wab
Mod

Robinson already dropping hints on Twitter that he'd like to replace Adams in Green Bay next year.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:28 am Robinson already dropping hints on Twitter that he'd like to replace Adams in Green Bay next year.
:rofl:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Woof
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

TEam is going nowhere. ARob will not be back next year. Bench him. Play Adams or whoever else you have on the practice squad. He has been dogging it. His body language throughout the game was awful.
IE
Hall of Famer

Man, I HOPE he replaces Adams in Green Bay. LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 am Woof
This is the kind of blocking effort he's been showing all along. BENCH HIM! He could very easily have cost us QB1. If I was Fields, I absolutely refuse to throw to him after that shit. Fuck him and the 18 mill he rode in on. I'm beginning to hate him almost as much as I hated Cedric Benson. Almost.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

God - I started this season having to bash Robinson and now must defend him? Must there be no happy medium

That CB is a good 15-20 yards downfield. Could Robinson have done better? Yes. Is everyone overlooking that if Robinson continues once that DB beats his block(15-20 yards downfield mind you) - the most likely result is a holding call (*)

(*) I do most love the folks that think the Refs are absolutely THROWING the game for the Packers - but that this probably wouldn't be a holding call

And to be fair - Robinson is a sub par blocker - that remains true
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 pm God - I started this season having to bash Robinson and now must defend him? Must there be no happy medium

That CB is a good 15-20 yards downfield. Could Robinson have done better? Yes. Is everyone overlooking that if Robinson continues once that DB beats his block(15-20 yards downfield mind you) - the most likely result is a holding call (*)

(*) I do most love the folks that think the Refs are absolutely THROWING the game for the Packers - but that this probably wouldn't be a holding call

I don't know what play you were watching, but robinson had to just get in the way but he lollygagged by his man. He didn't even attempt a block.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 pm God - I started this season having to bash Robinson and now must defend him? Must there be no happy medium

Very little happy anything this year. I don’t think anyone is expecting vintage Tony Boselli from ARob, but effort on that play looks consistent with the year as a whole. It seemed great that he was coming back for rivalry game due to the importance and even if it was an audition for GB so be it, but nothing was impressive this game.

For me it’s Mooney spent time working with Fields and Robinson didn’t. Maybe it’s because he figured desperate HC commits to Dalton so why bother but that’s reading the situation bad and/or that this his opportunity for what is likely his last big contract worse. Personally I have thought he’s a very good WR, was thrilled we got him, and all through last year wanted him extended. But this year makes me doubt it all.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
GSH
MVP

He's never been a good blocker and he's not that good of a receiver ( see Bengals game, but there are more examples ). Ive never heard him talk about wanting a ring, but heard his agent talking about wanting the bag a lot.

He signed with the bears instead of the saints, packers etc when it came down to it.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:53 pm

I don't know what play you were watching, but robinson had to just get in the way but he lollygagged by his man. He didn't even attempt a block.
Fair enough - I feel like the All22 would help here

Though you are probably correct
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Tagging him has turned out to be bad in so many ways.

We are paying what, $20 million, and getting almost nothing in return for that investment. We would have been better off signing Patterson (although I'm starting to like Grants play), a CB and a better OT (but again Peters has been a bargain for us).

But where it hurts more will be with the comp pick. Had we let him walk we would have netted at least a 3rd and maybe even a 2nd round pick which would go a long ways to giving Fields more weapons long term. With his play this year, I also think we will sign a one year deal to try and rebuild his stock and we will end up with a 5ht in the '23 draft.

Good move Pace, you turd.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I think his heart is no longer in it.
If he doesn’t want to put himself on the line for the team then it’s time for both parties to move on.

We need a new WR1 next season.
Mooney is a good WR2, Grant is a decent slot receiver, I’d pay him.
Maybe there’s a WR1 in free agency, otherwise we’re relying on the draft or an expensive trade.

I don’t hate Robinson, but it’s time for him to look for a new team after this season. We need players who play for the team.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

docc
Head Coach

Robinson is dead to me..