Pats v Bills

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If Belichek isn't the best coach out there, I don't know who is. 3 pass attempts!! 3!!! Talk about pounding the rock and sticking with it. Yea it was windy, but the Bills were throwing the ball. Pats OL just beat the shit out of the Bills. I was loving it. An OL dream type game, put the emphasis on them and let them work.

I don't see any other coach doing that. Most coaches love the pass and would not have confidence that they can run the ball to win.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pats OL consists of a undrafted FA, 7th rd, 4th rd, 6th rd and 1st rd. I would say they have a helluva OL coach and dig up talent, unlike what the Bears have done with their OL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It was a fun game to watch. Real old school stuff! The Patriots line was impressive but the Bills kept it close and could have won.

The Bears have run the ball effectively this year and their line consists of a 39 year old, 2nd round, undrafted FA, 2nd round, 5th round. That's not that different in terms of investment to the Patriots. The real difference is that the Patriots are always well-coached and the Bears have been stuck futilely trying to run Nagy's scheme. Let's just hope that Jenkins and Borom can develop into dominant tackles and the next head coach drop kicks 5-time fumbler Mustipher out of the line up.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

What a superb demonstration of power football - that offense is exactly what the Bears need in the Windy City.

I am coming around on McDaniels now.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The real reason that was successful was the willingness of the WR's and TE's to put everything they had into blocking. Harry is a big man who looked like he really enjoyed cracking down on the DE/LB who had contain to spring some of those big runs.
Definitely an enjoyable game that emphasized playing to strengths and hiding perceived weaknesses (rookie QB)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am I am coming around on McDaniels now.
Oh no, don't get G08 started! :?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:48 am The real reason that was successful was the willingness of the WR's and TE's to put everything they had into blocking. Harry is a big man who looked like he really enjoyed cracking down on the DE/LB who had contain to spring some of those big runs.
Definitely an enjoyable game that emphasized playing to strengths and hiding perceived weaknesses (rookie QB)
Confess that I don't have a TV - making do with XM Radio/YouTube/Laptop. I appreciate the finer detail and analysis from this place, so thanks to you and all the BFO contributors.

Very exciting stuff to see, even on crappy video.
IE
Hall of Famer

IF that wasn't McDaniels sending his resume to Chicago, I don't know what was. It was glorious. I'm not a Pats fan but credit where credit is due - that was exceptional coaching, strategizing and coordinating. They schooled the Bills.

You'll never hear Josh McDaniel say he wasn't brought in to run the I formation. He'll say "I'm here to win". I'm on board. I still like some other candidates but McDaniel probably became my favorite after last night.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
WagonForce
MVP

What a great game to watch. Not to be too flippant but I don't watch as much competent football these days and have kind of forgotten how good it can be. When the Bears are not good, I become less interested in the broader NFL. Last night was a good reminder of why I enjoy watching the sport: two talented teams with good coaching in a fantastic battle. The extreme conditions and the effect they had on the scheme was just the cherry on top for me.

The way the Patriots and Bills were able to modify their games both going into the match and then in response to one another as the night went on sure was impressive. That's great leadership and commitment up and down the rosters to execute the plan. Josh Allen is also a hell of a competitor, watching him trying to rifle the ball in that crazy wind (and often succeed) was fantastic. I'm looking forward to their rematch on Dec 26.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The wind was 25-30 with gusts to 40 & 50. Everyone acts like someone reinvented the wheel because they didn't throw the ball with a rookie QB in absolutely horrid conditions. The Pats were smart and the Bills were stupid.

I also remember games when the Patriots just didn't run the ball at all in the past because the team they were up against was super tough vs the run.

If you don't think that Bill isn't dictating exactly what is happening you are crazy. McD may call the plays, but I can guarantee you Bill was the one saying run, not pass Josh. You go ahead and pick what running play you want.

That's been Bill's MO for forever.
otis
Pro Bowler

You guys are starting to sway me on McDaniels. He may be a tool but he's starting to look like one of the better candidates for the bears job. If he would take it..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Belichick is the GOAT. Hands down. Any coach that will give the modern NFL the finger and win the game with only three pass attempts has my vote. Just epic.
IE
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm The wind was 25-30 with gusts to 40 & 50. Everyone acts like someone reinvented the wheel because they didn't throw the ball with a rookie QB in absolutely horrid conditions. The Pats were smart and the Bills were stupid.

I also remember games when the Patriots just didn't run the ball at all in the past because the team they were up against was super tough vs the run.

If you don't think that Bill isn't dictating exactly what is happening you are crazy. McD may call the plays, but I can guarantee you Bill was the one saying run, not pass Josh. You go ahead and pick what running play you want.

That's been Bill's MO for forever.
Yeah of course the weather was a factor in that decision making. But the ratio was still unexpected and extraordinary. And yes Bill - the HC - gets the strategy credit. But I'm going to guess that McDaniels was the one who took the strategy to an extreme in the play-calling, once it was working reasonably well. So I do give the OC the credit for making it especially notable.... "run-wacky?" LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Gives one hope as a Bears fan if they hire a former HC. I doubt he'll reach Bellechick's level but basic competence would be a nice start.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.