Akiem Hicks Presser

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I thought this was powerful... it also made me realize his career as a Chicago Bear will end with this season.

Sad to see it, but man, this dude is and always was a fucking warrior for us!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Glad I got to meet the big fella in London and get a great photo with him and Clinton-Dix. I ordered a nice display case for the Bears football they signed for me, which should arrive in the next day or two. It was gutting to see him suffer that nasty elbow injury right at the beginning of that game against the Raiders. To come back and face the Packers later that season and fight through obvious pain on every snap was incredible. He is one tough dude and it's such a shame that his body has kept on failing him. The best free agent signing Pace has made. He's been a great Bear and I'll be sorry to see him go.
GSH
MVP

yeah best FA signing for pace. I'll miss him, you could tell he was getting emotional when asked a few things and i think he was really trying to make a case for the bears re-signing him. Dont see it happening though. For the misgivings, pace is usually on the money when its time to let people go, apart from callahan.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

He has to know that he should only be a rotational player to maximize his effectiveness at this point in his career. If he was willing to be paid as such with escalating terms if he plays more than x % of snaps, I’d keep him on a two year deal
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:35 pm For the misgivings, pace is usually on the money when its time to let people go, apart from callahan.
I really liked Callahan, but it's easy to understand why Pace let him go. He gets injured every year. Callhan's never played more than 13 games in a season. From the point he was named the starting nickel corner in Chicago he missed 27% of games including the playoff loss to the Eagles.

After signing with Denver on a 3 year $21m deal he promptly missed the entire 2019 season. They reworked his contract the following year into a 2 year $12.382m deal and he played 10 games, then this year he played just 8 before getting injured yet again. The Broncos are now playing Kyle Fuller in his position. Callahan's one of the best in the league when he's healthy. The problem is he's not available for a lot of the time and for that reason it's hard to argue Pace made a mistake in not re-signing him, not when he's been injured 40% of his career overall and has missed 60% of games since he left for Denver.

Sadly injuries have taken their toll on Hicks too. His first 3 seasons with the Bears he didn't miss a game and played great, notching 23 sacks and 163 tackles including 116 solo. Then he had that nasty injury in 2019 and only played in 5 games before bouncing back last year when he played 15 games last year. He's missed 5 of 12 this season. He's still productive when he plays though. If he can play well for the rest of the year then an argument could be made for retaining him. The question would be determining his value. He's certainly not going to get anything like $12m a year at his age, but he clearly would like to stay. A 2 year deal with an out after one would be sensible at the right price. It seems unlikely to happen though.
GSH
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 am
GSH wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:35 pm For the misgivings, pace is usually on the money when its time to let people go, apart from callahan.
I really liked Callahan, but it's easy to understand why Pace let him go. He gets injured every year. Callhan's never played more than 13 games in a season. From the point he was named the starting nickel corner in Chicago he missed 27% of games including the playoff loss to the Eagles.

After signing with Denver on a 3 year $21m deal he promptly missed the entire 2019 season. They reworked his contract the following year into a 2 year $12.382m deal and he played 10 games, then this year he played just 8 before getting injured yet again. The Broncos are now playing Kyle Fuller in his position. Callahan's one of the best in the league when he's healthy. The problem is he's not available for a lot of the time and for that reason it's hard to argue Pace made a mistake in not re-signing him, not when he's been injured 40% of his career overall and has missed 60% of games since he left for Denver.

Sadly injuries have taken their toll on Hicks too. His first 3 seasons with the Bears he didn't miss a game and played great, notching 23 sacks and 163 tackles including 116 solo. Then he had that nasty injury in 2019 and only played in 5 games before bouncing back last year when he played 15 games last year. He's missed 5 of 12 this season. He's still productive when he plays though. If he can play well for the rest of the year then an argument could be made for retaining him. The question would be determining his value. He's certainly not going to get anything like $12m a year at his age, but he clearly would like to stay. A 2 year deal with an out after one would be sensible at the right price. It seems unlikely to happen though.
yeah fair on callahan, i was actually thinking of Amos!
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:21 pm I thought this was powerful... it also made me realize his career as a Chicago Bear will end with this season.

I said it at the start of the year and I'll say it again - we should do what we can to try and keep this guy. He's clearly a leader for the team, he's a warrior who bleeds Bears. We all credit Nagy so much for his ability to keep this team fighting even after long losing streaks right? Well, maybe as much credit or more needs to go to guys like Akiem who are leaders in the locker room and out there putting it on the line with their brothers every Sunday. And Pace frankly, for targeting and valuing player character in his assessment criteria.

He may take a pay cut when he realizes that his market value has declined, primarily due to injury/availability - his actual play hasn't really declined much IMO. It will be hard for him to swallow and as someone else posted it's even harder to take a cut and stay with that same team - but he's a smart guy who seems emotionally mature enough to make that decision. I'd like to see a way to make this happen and keep him on this team, but not where he's eating a lot of cap and is therefore relied upon because his availability issues have unfortunately continued to dog him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm still surprised teams needed run stoppers didn't make a stronger effort to trade for him before the deadline. Will he return to the Bears with a reduced salary and in more of a rotational role? Possibly, especially if he wants to finish his career as a Bear. There may be that team willing to take a chance on him and outpay the Bears.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:51 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:21 pm I thought this was powerful... it also made me realize his career as a Chicago Bear will end with this season.

I said it at the start of the year and I'll say it again - we should do what we can to try and keep this guy. He's clearly a leader for the team, he's a warrior who bleeds Bears. We all credit Nagy so much for his ability to keep this team fighting even after long losing streaks right? Well, maybe as much credit or more needs to go to guys like Akiem who are leaders in the locker room and out there putting it on the line with their brothers every Sunday. And Pace frankly, for targeting and valuing player character in his assessment criteria.

He may take a pay cut when he realizes that his market value has declined, primarily due to injury/availability - his actual play hasn't really declined much IMO. It will be hard for him to swallow and as someone else posted it's even harder to take a cut and stay with that same team - but he's a smart guy who seems emotionally mature enough to make that decision. I'd like to see a way to make this happen and keep him on this team, but not where he's eating a lot of cap and is therefore relied upon because his availability issues have unfortunately continued to dog him.

Big Hicks fan as well

Its tough to go backward in terms of salary as a human being though - He might find 5 million a year rather than 11 easier to stomach in Jacksonville rather than Chicago
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Sadly Hicks won't get one last shot at Rogers and the Packers after all. :(
Bears rule out DL Akiem Hicks for game vs. Packers

The Bears on Saturday ruled out defensive lineman Akiem Hicks for their game Sunday against the Packers. The announcement came less than 24 hours after Hicks said the plan was for him to play.

Hicks sprained an ankle late in the Bears’ loss Nov. 8 to the Steelers. He had not practiced since the injury before being limited Wednesday. He had the same designation Thursday and was a full participant Friday, when he was listed as questionable for the game.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... ain-tackle
malk
Head Coach

Would love to see him back at a reduced deal but it never happens. There's a good chance we're looking enviously at him being a good rotation piece somewhere else on a pretty team friendly deal.,
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears DT Akiem Hicks says goodbye to Chicago, just in case

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen,” he said. “I just know that I’ve got games to play and if I do end up leaving, I’ll miss it here. I truly love my time.”

It was with that sentiment that he celebrated his first-quarter sack of Kirk Cousins by pointing exuberantly at the crowd.

“I was pointing to the people that cheer for me, the people that love me, the people that love how I play the game,” Hicks said. “I was pointing at them, letting them know I appreciate them from my time. They’re always yelling my name. I wanted to show some love back.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... -matt-nagy
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I LOVE Akiem! I want him back. Hopefully, we can work something out.
UOK
Site Admin

You pay him for what he'll give you: 3-4 games of availability, 1-2 games of domination, and will likely miss the remainder of the season with injury.

He won't accept that, so he's gone, and that's fine. I'm tired of this fucking team paying guys who can't dress.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:08 am You pay him for what he'll give you: 3-4 games of availability, 1-2 games of domination, and will likely miss the remainder of the season with injury.

He won't accept that, so he's gone, and that's fine. I'm tired of this fucking team paying guys who can't dress.
That's a *little* exaggerated - but the point is still dead-on. He won't accept a half season of pay for playing a half season. So buh-bye. Youth movement!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I hope he gets paid to play high-leverage snaps on a playoff team next year. None of these older defenders should stick around to find out if the new GM can piece together an offense from the scraps that Pace leaves them
xyt in the discord chats
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:19 am
UOK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:08 am You pay him for what he'll give you: 3-4 games of availability, 1-2 games of domination, and will likely miss the remainder of the season with injury.

That's a *little* exaggerated - but the point is still dead-on. He won't accept a half season of pay for playing a half season. So buh-bye. Youth movement!
Yeah that is exaggerated. He played 15 games last season and if he stays healthy the rest of the way he will have played 11 this season. That would mean him being available for 4 out of every 5 games. Players get injured, it's the nature of the game. At least Hicks busts his backside to play, even when he's still hurting badly.

At his age though he's just too big a risk to pay big money to. I'd be more than happy if he agreed a 2-year deal with the first year guaranteed, but it would have to be for less than he's earning now. He showed last night just what an influence he is on this defense and I do think he's got a bit left in the tank. He'd clearly be happy to stay, but as ever it all comes down to the dollars and I doubt the two sides could reach an agreement. Much will depend on the whole GM/HC situation anyway.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

LOVE Hicks! But the nature of the sport is that you need to let these players go, and hope you can find younger versions of them elsewhere. It's a brutal business, and nostalgia and sentiment has no place in personnel decisions. It sucks, but it's football at the highest level.
dplank
Hall of Famer

When healthy he’s a tone setter and difference maker. Would love to keep him at a lower cost and reduce his playing time to keep him fresher and healthier.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Give him a baseline contract, plus incentives for games started. Maybe he'd agree with that.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'd be happy with that Yogi

I think he might be able to get better elsewhere though - So So crop of DL in FA it seems
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

As split with Bears looms, DT Akiem Hicks hopes his legacy in Chicago is secure
Hicks has endured various injuries, a mountain of losses and fruitless discussions with the Bears about a contract extension. He’s probably in his final weeks with the Bears, and that was in his mind during the 17-9 loss Monday to the Vikings.

‘‘I don’t know what’s gonna happen,’’ he said. ‘‘I just know . . . if I do end up leaving, I’ll miss it here. I truly love my time [here].’’

Hicks and the Bears were a perfect match when he signed with them in 2016. He relaunched his career and grew into a star, which gave general manager Ryan Pace a pillar for one of the best defenses in recent NFL history.

Along the way, Hicks became one of the most beloved Chicago athletes. His dominance and exuberance on the field, along with his vibrant personality, endeared him to Bears fans.
At 32, he still has been excellent when fully healthy and pretty good even when he’s not. But he missed 11 games (mostly with a dislocated elbow) in 2019 and was out another six this season.

But when he’s out there, he’s as feared as any defensive lineman in the NFL. He showed that Monday.

‘‘He’s done that his entire time here in Chicago,’’ Bears coach Matt Nagy said.

That’s exactly the kind of compliment that matters to Hicks, who thinks a lot about his legacy with the Bears.

There came a point in his postgame news conference when he was asked about it and wondered whether he had earned a spot among the greats.

‘‘Whenever I talk to the guys that came before me, just for them to say that they appreciate my game is enough for me,’’ Hicks said. ‘‘That’s who you’re looking to impress. They played it; they lived it. Talking to those guys — Tommie Harris, Dan Hampton, Richard Dent — it’s exciting [that they] even watch me play.

‘‘So I’m happy.’’

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... in-chicago
wab
Mod

I know this is me being overly sentimental about Hicks, but man I'd be happy to have him stick around for another year or two.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:47 am I know this is me being overly sentimental about Hicks, but man I'd be happy to have him stick around for another year or two.
Same here... it'll boil down to what he finds on the market.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

Any of you hear the stories coming out about Hicks recently? I was shocked to hear some folks on WSCR say that it has been going around about him not being a good locker room/team guy, and being very difficult. There are rumours of him having explosive arguments with Nagy (RIP) and the DL coach, including maybe some questions about him not being honest about injuries. He had walked out of practice earlier in the season and the story sort of just went away. But then last week he didn't practice and wasn't present at practice. He didn't even travel to the game - as if he was already off the team on Sunday.

I was in the car and distracted but I was very surprised to hear that stuff. It was in the afternoon yesterday when Mannelly and Olin were on... can't remember exactly when.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

IE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm Any of you hear the stories coming out about Hicks recently? I was shocked to hear some folks on WSCR say that it has been going around about him not being a good locker room/team guy, and being very difficult. There are rumours of him having explosive arguments with Nagy (RIP) and the DL coach, including maybe some questions about him not being honest about injuries. He had walked out of practice earlier in the season and the story sort of just went away. But then last week he didn't practice and wasn't present at practice. He didn't even travel to the game - as if he was already off the team on Sunday.

I was in the car and distracted but I was very surprised to hear that stuff. It was in the afternoon yesterday when Mannelly and Olin were on... can't remember exactly when.
First I've heard and, wow! Itll be interesting to see how this plays out.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm Any of you hear the stories coming out about Hicks recently? I was shocked to hear some folks on WSCR say that it has been going around about him not being a good locker room/team guy, and being very difficult. There are rumours of him having explosive arguments with Nagy (RIP) and the DL coach, including maybe some questions about him not being honest about injuries. He had walked out of practice earlier in the season and the story sort of just went away. But then last week he didn't practice and wasn't present at practice. He didn't even travel to the game - as if he was already off the team on Sunday.

Yeah, that's the first I've heard too. I know there were reports that he was pretty sour on Nagy after last season , but not the locker room cancer stuff.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Loved him but given the state of the team it’s time to turn the page most likely.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Yes - it was Mannelly right after Olin. Spiegel asked Pat about Hicks - I think looking for a 'Bears should do the right thing' type of answer, and Mannelly went the opposite direction. Pat said there have been locker room stories for awhile about Hicks - and that Hicks cancelled several appearances with Pat, including calling Pat 5 minutes before they were supposed to go Live and telling Pat he wasn't going to be there. These were contractual obligations Hicks signed on for.

Parkins said that Hicks cancelled several media spots with the morning show and they eventually dropped him.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Surely the new GM/HC will decide if he goes?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural