What to say when it's "Too Soon To Say?"

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:15 pm
wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:47 pm You keep bringing up fumbles lost like the 7 other ones don't matter, but they do. Sure not as much as losing possession, but it still puts the offense in a bad position in down and distance. 12 fumbles is a lot. 36 sacks is a lot. Fumbling on over 30% of your sacks is a lot.
Sure they all matter, and all yardage lost matters like I mentioned with the deep sacks.

Personally I consider fumbles lost to be far worse so that's been my focus. But OK - for total fumbles you can use that link for that as well. We have Kyler and Carr each with 11 to Justin's 12. And some years there are guys with 15, 16 even 18. So again... yeah, we should pay attention to it but the level of consternation is not commensurate with the reality around the stat. We all want him to fumble far less. Nobody wants their QB to fumble.

I attribute a good number of JF1's sacks and resulting fumbles to his lack of preparation before he started starting. I don't KNOW for sure that they will reduce - but it looks more likely than not, since they already are trending down and stabilizing within an expected range. Since that Cleveland debacle, he's averaging less than 3 sacks a game for 9 games. Other QBs are passing him up on this list. I don't think his number of sacks is as bad as how he gets them (trying to make things happen & making it worse, IMO).

It is useful when people want to "keep it real" in evaluation of Bear players. But keeping it real doesn't just mean being critical about something that is basically normal. It makes me wonder if it is really keeping it real, or if it is sometimes about something else (e.g. not liking a player in the first place).

My take on where he needs the most work is in the area of getting acclimated to the offense & where his team is going to be (blockers, receivers). He often looks surprised and mystified out there.... something we've seen with other QB's in this "system". To me this is the biggest current problem with JF1. Unfortunately I see no real ability to improve much in that area until spring when some new offense is introduced and he learns it from the ground up. That 4th down sack last night when Monty went out was like the poster play for the Nagy(RIP) regime. What was he supposed to do? Call a time out? I think maybe the coach /OC should have been paying attention and called it. Do we ever see that happening to other teams? I guess the Lions had that bad snap in the first Detroit game... but that wasn't nearly as bad.
I mean I absolutely love Justin Fields, so none of this is about me not liking him. I think while we disagree on the significance of the fumbles, we agree on the rest.
IE
Hall of Famer

Not you - but I do notice one or two folks who from my observation clearly just don't like him... quick to generically say "he's bad" and commenting that he may be a bust right away. It just gives them away as not being neutral, even if a post poses as neutral.

Which is fine of course - people can like and hate whoever they want, for their own reasons. But just be honest and own it. As time goes on, I expect them to have fewer and fewer things to latch onto. It'll be fun watching them grasp for things to hate. Already is, kinda.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pm I mean I absolutely love Justin Fields, so none of this is about me not liking him. I think while we disagree on the significance of the fumbles, we agree on the rest.
Speaking as someone who was positively giddy when the Bears drafted Fields, I can say without reservation that my attempts to be objective when looking at his rookie season have nothing to do with whether or not I like him. I'm actively trying not to dismiss what appear to be reasonably valid concerns due to my Bear-colored glasses.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:08 pm
wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pm I mean I absolutely love Justin Fields, so none of this is about me not liking him. I think while we disagree on the significance of the fumbles, we agree on the rest.
Speaking as someone who was positively giddy when the Bears drafted Fields, I can say without reservation that my attempts to be objective when looking at his rookie season have nothing to do with whether or not I like him. I'm actively trying not to dismiss what appear to be reasonably valid concerns due to my Bear-colored glasses.
I'm the same way. I cringe a good number of times per game and say "c'mon, kid!" - and I see him looking lost and missing things or making mistakes. A of of times I attribute it to something besides the kid (for good reason). I consider the circumstances and don't rush to judgement. The clock is ticking for him and to me it is later next season when the picture should gel and I'll be comfortable labeling what he is good at and where he isn't good. I suspect he's going to end up in my mind being around the level of Brett Favre or John Elway.

At no time in all the '21 cringing is a thought of "uh-oh... he looks like a bust" ... or worse, "see - I told those homers he's a bust".
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:59 pm Not you - but I do notice one or two folks who from my observation clearly just don't like him... quick to generically say "he's bad" and commenting that he may be a bust right away. It just gives them away as not being neutral, even if a post poses as neutral.

Which is fine of course - people can like and hate whoever they want, for their own reasons. But just be honest and own it. As time goes on, I expect them to have fewer and fewer things to latch onto. It'll be fun watching them grasp for things to hate. Already is, kinda.
I’m not neutral, I’m not objective, I aim to be the antithesis of the description above.

I’m going to be as subjective and ridiculously biased as possible :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't know how you can't be concerned about the sacks and fumbles, I certainly am. The INT's concern me a little less because so many have been on the receivers, like an odd amount it seems. The early sacks (CLE/TB) didn't really bother me much, our OL was getting whooped in microseconds and Fields had little chance. But some of the sacks he's taken recently are 100% his fault and while maybe it's because he's pressing it's happening enough for me to worry about him being slow to process things - I don't believe it's all coaching and worry it's processing by Fields. Any moron, even McNagy, can tell his QB to throw the ball away when a play is dead and not take unnecessary sacks, but it's on the QB to be able to process that in his head lightening fast and do the right thing - Fields is failing at this too often for my liking even as a rookie. I'm genuinely surprised by it.

But most of all, the fumbles. I mean, holy shit, the fumble thing is just insane to me. I used to dig on Mitch for his fumbling issues but this kid is not taking care of the football. I do think this one is more coachable / preventable though.

I just keep thinking about Josh Allen though and try to remember that we really don't know squat yet. He's flashed brilliant potential and he's flashed bust potential. We need another year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

INTs are probably the most incorrectly assigned stat in the game.

WR runs the wrong route and the QB throws it correctly.
WR falls down.
WR tips the ball.
The QB thinks the play is dead because the DL jumped offsides 2 seconds before the play even started. The QB throws the ball. The WR quits on the route. The DB INTs the ball. (Where have I seen that before?) No flag is thrown.

INTs should only be assigned to the QB if he throws the ball to a defensive player without the ball being touched by another player.
Z Bear
MVP

Fields is the most athletically gifted and well groomed QB the Bears have ever drafted and I expect him to break every single lifetime Bears QB record. But right now he is a rookie making rookie mistakes. The major point is he is making these rookie mistakes in his rookie year (not his 4th like Mitch) and in a lost season. I selfishly wanted him to sit because I thought the Bears had a chance to make the playoffs with Dalton. Was perfectly content they moved to Fields when they did because it was evident at that time this team was going no where. This is also why I want McDaniels next as he is a proven play caller that utilizes the talents of his players better than any other candidate out there. We will not have to worry about another Nagy situation who thinks his system is more important than the players running it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Fields leads the league in fumbles (12) and interception percentage (3.7%) and sack percentage (11.8%). I don't see anyway of sugar coating that.

The median rates for 32 qualifying QBs (Pro Football Reference) are 6 fumbles, 2.25 interception percentage and 5.9 sack percentage.

So Fields has fumbled twice as much as average, thrown interceptions 2/3 more frequently than average and been sacked twice as much as average.

You can point to tipped passes for example., but a certain proportion of every QB's INTs come about through no direct fault of theirs. There will be others that are due to poorly run routes where the receiver is not where they're supposed to be on a timing throw. There are no statistics that record INTs that are down to the QB and those that aren't. You can also point to outlier games, but you would need to trawl through every QBs stats to identify theirs too to be able to make any comparisons and draw conclusions.

The fact is Fields ball security (which is usually defined as fumbles and INTs combined) has been very poor and he takes too many sacks (which increases the risk of fumbling). It's something he needs to improve significantly next season. Better pass protection would help.
IE
Hall of Famer

I shared a link that shows where JF1 is on fumbles and fumbles lost. It shows that he's not in any especially rare air. It isn't just Josh Allen - there are a LOT of good QBs who have fumbled as much as him across recent years. Look. It isn't that I'm ignoring the fumbles. What he's going through is what a lot of young QBs go through and I trust that like most he'll improve on it. And at least he isn't losing most of them in the meantime. I fully expect this area to improve because QBs who are otherwise good typically clean it up.

On the sacks, he's already cleaned them up in terms of volume. The few big deep-loss sacks he's taken ARE his fault - and like I've been saying (it seems like some are responding without reading) I believe it is because of a combination of him not being prepared, him still having a bit too much confidence in his athleticism vs others, and also him trying to do to much and be a hero. All that stuff is understandable and again otherwise good QBs clean that stuff up. Which he is - and he will.

I maintain there isn't much to see here, and given his inexperience and situation there is far more reason to believe this is temporary rookie learning & not a sign of bust. JF1's average yards per game and anemic scoring are far bigger concerns for me. But recency makes me feel far better about that. He's gotten his yardage and some other stats on a nice trajectory. When it comes to scoring I'm thinking he's just not going to score with Nagy's (RIP) offense. I think he should have had 3 TDs on Monday and he barely had one cheapie at the end like Mitch's Graham TD at the end of the WC game last year. In both of those games, Nagy's (RIP) offense scored 3 points.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:38 pm
IE wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 pm

I dismiss data presented in a way to paint an inaccurate picture. Like you did here.

Has Fields been bad? Sometimes, clearly. Othertimes hardly. Sometimes he's been the opposite of bad. So what you said there is misleading. It is false.

Is his QBR bad? As an average for the 9 games he started? Sure. In all of his game? Hell no. In most of his games? Not even that. So there is no reason to say what you said unless you're predisposed to want to be able to say something bad about him. Which, IIRC, you are.

So yeah... I absolutely dismiss what you said.
I mean Burl isn't wrong. And I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that OVERALL he's not been very good. There are a variety of perfectly good reasons for this. And there's no evidence that suggests he won't improve.

You can say he hasn't been very good to this point and still think he's going to get better. I don't see the problem...

This is an excellent post

Though if you have noted concerns at all - you have been questioned on fandom, or called a troll, etc.

I have my concerns on Fields (Has anyone ACTUALLY called him a Bust by the way? I mean anyone?) - But anyone who is trying to judge him before Year 2 is on a Fool's Errand IMHO
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:00 pm
I just keep thinking about Josh Allen though and try to remember that we really don't know squat yet. He's flashed brilliant potential and he's flashed bust potential. We need another year.
Dplank - Honestly we probably need another 2 years before truly assessing him (Though you'd certainly hope to see some legit progress next year)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:34 pm
IE wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Yep - this. I actually have always advocated for using median and not average because it tells the better story. Or at least to take off the outliers on either side (the best and worst). This was the foundation of my comparison between Mitch and some other QBs... his outliers were just that, and his median stats betrayed his "averages". The problem with JF1's numbers is there are too few of them to really take off outliers. But that is the reason you can't form a judgement yet. It just isn't a sample. And that doesn't even consider the circumstances.

1) Mitch could not beat out a future XFL QB at UNC.

Always a weird neg on Mitch - North Carolina went 11-3 that year? 8-1 in Conference and barely lost the ACC Championship game to Clemson

Future XFL - Love that too - Tim Tebow is one of the greatest College Football Players of all-time - His NFL accomplishments ummmm pale.

If you are the UNC Coach - you can win 10+ games with a Senior - hold the stud sophomore back a year (and maybe get an extra year out of him??!?). Why wouldn't you do that? Because of the NFL draft 2-3 years down the line?

Really?

You know this is a True thing you can say about Justin Fields (I THINK THIS WOULD ALSO BE A NONSENSE POINT TO MAKE - BUT IT IS TRUE). Georgia saw both him and Justin Fromm play - and Justin Fields couldn't beat out Justin Fromm

That is true.

It means absolutely nothing. But it is true.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:49 pm
wab wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:38 pm

I mean Burl isn't wrong. And I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that OVERALL he's not been very good. There are a variety of perfectly good reasons for this. And there's no evidence that suggests he won't improve.

You can say he hasn't been very good to this point and still think he's going to get better. I don't see the problem...

Though if you have noted concerns at all - you have been questioned on fandom, or called a troll, etc.

I have my concerns on Fields (Has anyone ACTUALLY called him a Bust by the way? I mean anyone?) - But anyone who is trying to judge him before Year 2 is on a Fool's Errand IMHO
If we just keep this 💯, the heat you’ve received re: Fields hasn’t come because you “noted any concerns at all”. The gap between that comment and what you’ve been doing is enormous. It’s come because you’ve made negative posts about him repeatedly ad nauseum - almost exclusively - routinely jumping into happy threads to throw cold water and mock peoples excitement about the kid. What’s the harm letting people get a little carried away on a fan board?

“Noting concerns” makes it sound like you’ve been generally positive and just occasionally negative, this just isn’t so dude.

To your other point, 2 more years will tell the tale for sure I agree. But I do need to see significant improvement in his ball security and awareness (the long sacks vs throwing the ball way) next season. He can’t be fumbling like this, it’s really insane. I think we’ve seen enough good that if he can clean that up he should be a very good player.

Merry Christmas and let’s all hope for a better 2022!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:58 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:49 pm

If we just keep this 💯, the heat you’ve received re: Fields hasn’t come because you “noted any concerns at all”. The gap between that comment and what you’ve been doing is enormous. It’s come because you’ve made negative posts about him repeatedly ad nauseum - almost exclusively - routinely jumping into happy threads to throw cold water and mock peoples excitement about the kid. What’s the harm letting people get a little carried away on a fan board?

“Noting concerns” makes it sound like you’ve been generally positive and just occasionally negative, this just isn’t so dude.

To your other point, 2 more years will tell the tale for sure I agree. But I do need to see significant improvement in his ball security and awareness (the long sacks vs throwing the ball way) next season. He can’t be fumbling like this, it’s really insane. I think we’ve seen enough good that if he can clean that up he should be a very good player.

Merry Christmas and let’s all hope for a better 2022!
Yes- Holding onto the ball too long (check). Not being ready to (YET) read NFL Defenses (check). Injuries (Check)

This was met with "That's Racist!" & "THE TRAINING WHEELS ARE OFF - HE KNOWS THE WHOLE PLAYBOOK - LET THE FERRARI OUT OF THE GARAGE!!!!!!!"

People praised him ordering a Sandwich - One poster queriered "Is he the most accurate QB of ALL TIME"

Another gave him a Game Ball in back to back weeks when the one Week he was bad (especially ball security wise) and the SECOND HE LITERALLY DID NOT PLAY (and was deemed game ball worthy)

People acted like Ohio State was merely "kind of good" when it was full of studs

Praising Mac Jones after the Senior Bowl (Checks notes - Thats a pretty good rookie year) (Also on a team full of studs in College)

Then people said "This is the worst OL" (No.). Or I've never seen a team drop so many passes (Middle of the Pack in the NFL)

I also repeatedly said : He's tough, he's athletic, he's accurate generally (I actually think his accuracy will improve even more ). You can't judge by Rookie Year - I think every rookie QB benefits by sitting out a good chunk of their Rookie Year - Etc.

But the warts I was VERY SPECIFIC ABOUT IN ADVANCE (and in fairness: Certainly Repeatedly) - Are the exact Warts to worry about. (*)

(*) I didn't really foresee the fumble issue to this extent - though I do note you hold the ball longer, you get sacked/hit more - that's when you fumble as a QB
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I love the last post. LOL!
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

So, here's what I would say about Justin Fields.

I forget which group measures "Big Time Throws" (Pff maybe?), but Fields, despite the numbers, is in top 5 in the league in these throws, however they measure them.

If you look at how Fields has done compared to when Dalton was in, Dalton got rid of the ball quicker, but the offense still sucked to high hell. it still wasn't great last week with Foles, but Foles at least not only got rid of the ball quick, but was audibling a TON. Because he has the stones to know Nagy is in over his head, and basically has said as much.

The offense Matt Nagy runs is horribly irreparably broken. That's not even accounting for the Bears using 32 different personnel packages on offense (player combinations running on and off the field for plays), when most NFL offenses run between 8-12 personnel packages (if you ever wondered why we took so many bad time outs because the play clock was about to run out - there is your answer). Even back in 2018, when we thought things were good, Sage Rosenfels called Nagy's offense a collection of plays and said it didn't have any real identity or cohesion when he was calling one of the Bears games.

My point is, NO quarterback is going to walk into something like that and magically fix it. NO one. And Nagy stubbornly was going to stick to this, no matter WHO his QB is.

And we haven't even gotten to the fact that the interior of the offensive line has been a sieve, and the last few games, I have seen just about everyone on the interior, guard to guard, consistently get pushed back into Justin's face, giving him no where to step up into.

To think Fields could succeed or thrive in those conditions is insane. That is NOT making excuses. That is the REALITY of the Bears offense right now.

So, let's say we do accept all that. What CAN you trust on Fields?

Look at his skills. He's incredibly accurate, even on the move, and has a big time arm. That combo ALONE makes him a better prospect than any QB the Bears have fielded in our lifetimes. And now he has done that in the NFL. Also, if you look at his last 3-4 games, he doesn't have such horrible numbers - QBR in the 85-88 range. If you break out that section of games from the earlier ones, it shows the growth. Not to mention the kid is mentally tough, which is what you need to thrive in the NFL.

Bottom line - it is WAY too early to give up on Fields. Anyone calling him "Bustin Fields" should be slapped before they can even finish saying it, for no other reason than that impatient, stupid person deserves it because anyone saying that right now is going for a reaction, so give them one with the back of your hand.

Nagy was a horrible head coach and horrible play caller. He was stubborn to a fault and refused to tailor his system to best fit Fields.

NONE of that is to say "Fields is the bestest EVAR!" or "Fields is the next Tom Brady!" Fields has some ball security issues and tends to drift backwards too much on his drop backs (but some of that can be fixed by fixing the interior of the O-Line to give him a place to step up). Beyond that, the offense he was in was hot garbage, so I don't know how anyone can have a definitive take on Fields.

But from where I stand, I think Fields' floor is a Matt Ryan in his prime. A lot will depend on the offense he is in, but so long as whatever offense it is, is run by someone NFL competent, and they get the interior of the line fixed, I think Fields will have a much better sophomore season.

I know the defense has holes, but this offseason, I maximize the offense as best I can. No first round pick, so won't be able to get a home run WR. But in Free Agency, there are a lot of very good veterans. No true #1s, but a lot of solid veterans who you can count on to run a proper route. I think with a young QB, go nuts and bring in 2-3 of these veteran WRs to be along side Mooney so Fields can have dependable targets. Then focus on rebuilding the line interior in the draft - the best linemen you can get, you get in the draft, since teams rarely let REALLY good linemen go. It will also help the running game by light years.

So those things, and you will see an exceptional season from Fields next year....
dplank
Hall of Famer

I get some people went overboard so you feel justified, but that wasn't my point....

a) It's a fan board and is meant to be fun. Our franchises future rests on the shoulders of Justin Fields, and it's ok for Bears fans to be excited about him - even irrationally so - particularly on a Bears Fan Board! This should be a safe place for that. I'd expect all sorts of snark flying around on a Packers board, but not here. Occasionally pointing out that folks are getting a little overboard and having a different POV is fine of course, but....
b) You grossly misrepresent your role here when you say people fire off at you for having "any negative things to say at all". You were as over the top with your anti-Fields rhetoric as folks were with their pro-Fields excitement. It's not an arms race.
c) Just own it, for whatever reason you've chosen the role of board antagonist. The new Gib, if you will...So when the flack comes back, maybe don't act surprised by it?
d) Instead of maniacally searching for others, own your own fails (Trubisky, Watson, smoke screens, etc) and laugh at yourself sometimes. It's healthy. I'm trying to get better at this myself.

Trying to play Switzerland here and heal the chasm, probably failing. Just want you to understand other folks POV and would love this to be a happier place! Friendly advice, take it or leave it and have a great New Year.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

For what it's worth, I appreciate both Dplank's and Rich55's perspectives and like reading both of their posts.
UOK
Site Admin

Some of you guys need to learn how to agree to disagree on the internet. It's possible, believe it or not.

The season's almost over and we've got a lot to debate throughout the empty space between now and the draft. Let's all send e-beers back and forth and stay cool.
dplank
Hall of Famer

:toast: Agree guys! All good!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:31 am Some of you guys need to learn how to agree to disagree on the internet. It's possible, believe it or not.

The season's almost over and we've got a lot to debate throughout the empty space between now and the draft. Let's all send e-beers back and forth and stay cool.
Great post.
Stay cool Bears fans, it’s the time of year to let bygones be bygones.

From a personal point of view I learn a lot from everyone’s contributions and value them all.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

IE
Hall of Famer

Any opinions are welcome. Even baseless homerism. What isn't welcome, is in the middle of discourse (any - heated or otherwise), to take what someone else said out of context or parse individual words and attack them with it in attempt to "win" an argument even if it is taking a conversation off-topic.

There is "what" people say. And then there is "how they say it". I don't even think it is a problem to be mildly provacative and take the other side or arguments to add to discussion. But when someone creates an argument that is not there, makes things up and/or props up a strawman to attack simply to win? That's not valuable to anyone, even if that same person makes an occasional valid point in other conversations. Nobody should get to augment their dishonesty with occasional honesty and claim they don't do anything wrong.

If someone behaves this way and doesn't recognize it, that's a problem. And then if someone behaves that way and does recognize it but makes no effort to correct it even after getting feedback... then that is an even bigger problem. Call it whatever you want. The name isn't the problem - it is the behavior / style that is the problem.

This stuff happens all the time even between people who get along. People overreact and exaggerate to win arguments. But when it happens as a pattern and it is clear someone is head-hunting and intentionally creating unproductive stress? Time to block.
dave99
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:31 am Some of you guys need to learn how to agree to disagree on the internet. It's possible, believe it or not.

"It's a rare occurrence, like a double rainbow, or someone on the internet saying, "You know what? You've convinced me I was wrong."
~Michael, The Good Place
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
wab
Mod

It’s going to be a long offseason after Pace and Nagy are given another year.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm

It’s going to be a long offseason after Pace and Nagy are given another year.
"Long" yes, but it would also be a remarkably bold stroke of stupidity. If the team wanted to test the waters of plummeting ticket sales and fan backlash, that would be the way to do it.
Z Bear
MVP

I give Nagy a 0.01% chance of coming back, Pace is about 35% to come back. Too much angst amongst the fans and media to save Nagy, the pitchforks are not out yet for Pace amongst the media (which I wish they would be).
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:56 am I get some people went overboard so you feel justified, but that wasn't my point....

a) It's a fan board and is meant to be fun. Our franchises future rests on the shoulders of Justin Fields, and it's ok for Bears fans to be excited about him - even irrationally so - particularly on a Bears Fan Board! This should be a safe place for that. I'd expect all sorts of snark flying around on a Packers board, but not here. Occasionally pointing out that folks are getting a little overboard and having a different POV is fine of course, but....
b) You grossly misrepresent your role here when you say people fire off at you for having "any negative things to say at all". You were as over the top with your anti-Fields rhetoric as folks were with their pro-Fields excitement. It's not an arms race.
c) Just own it, for whatever reason you've chosen the role of board antagonist. The new Gib, if you will...So when the flack comes back, maybe don't act surprised by it?
d) Instead of maniacally searching for others, own your own fails (Trubisky, Watson, smoke screens, etc) and laugh at yourself sometimes. It's healthy. I'm trying to get better at this myself.

Trying to play Switzerland here and heal the chasm, probably failing. Just want you to understand other folks POV and would love this to be a happier place! Friendly advice, take it or leave it and have a great New Year.

Yeah - I tend to call out the extremes. Be that Preseason Allen Robinson is a Top 5 perenially 1500 Yard WR!!!! to Week 8 Allen Robinson is the worst WR in my Bears Lifetime. Call them both out

People want to say Gabriel was "Tremendous". or that Montgomery is "Walter Payton" -

Or G08's love of Matt Barkley (And I love G08's posts BTW) - No. I will be curmudgeonly and sadly right - and almost inherently without Tact .

Fun at parties??~?!??! Well. No.

Although - Who doesn't love mocking "safe places"?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:27 am For what it's worth, I appreciate both Dplank's and Rich55's perspectives and like reading both of their posts.
Dplank - in the spirit of the holidays and UOK's positively Friday Night Lights speech

Can we come together and note that Burl is the real problem??!?!?

Fight the real enemy!

(And dibs on ripping up Burl's photo on SNL)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Teddy KGB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 pm But from where I stand, I think Fields' floor is a Matt Ryan in his prime

Fields Floor hopefully is what you are seeing currently.

That is - ummmm- pretty far away (and a very different playing style) than Matt Ryan in his Prime