Week 15 // Chicago Bears (4-9) vs. Minnesota Vikings (6-7)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I will say starting to think Desai might be good. Had almost no one on D besides Hicks and Smith and they played their asses off.

O sucks with Nagy, Lazor, or Flip.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

At the same time, Graham showed he has some skills and spunk, why has Desai not seen that. Why has Desai thought Vildor and Christian were better?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:14 am At the same time, Graham showed he has some skills and spunk, why has Desai not seen that. Why has Desai thought Vildor and Christian were better?
I don't know.

Maybe if Desai had a background in coaching secondaries he would've noticed this? Oh wait....
Ormazd
MVP

That game was like a shitshow and a dumpster fire had a baby.

All three teams were laughably bad.

I will give credit to the "Who's that guy?" Bears defensive backfield. They did what they could, and much better than anyone could have expected.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:14 am At the same time, Graham showed he has some skills and spunk, why has Desai not seen that. Why has Desai thought Vildor and Christian were better?
Desai doesn't have control over the roster. It's not like he can activate the dude from the PS.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 am
Desai doesn't have control over the roster. It's not like he can activate the dude from the PS.
He can't say "I want that guy to play"? Honestly I did not know that the DC didn't have some say in who suits up for games. I would think if he pounded the table for a guy or even just made a request because I guy was looking good to him, he'd be listened to.

I don't know if it is true or not what TMP said - does Desai have no experience with defensive back coaching? If he doesn't, well that certainly might explain some things & maybe we should reserve judgement on the Bear DBs until they shitcan Desai along with Nagy (RIP).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 am That game was like a shitshow and a dumpster fire had a baby.
that is a perfect summation of events
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:17 am
wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 am
He can't say "I want that guy to play"? Honestly I did not know that the DC didn't have some say in who suits up for games. I would think if he pounded the table for a guy or even just made a request because I guy was looking good to him, he'd be listened to.

I don't know if it is true or not what TMP said - does Desai have no experience with defensive back coaching? If he doesn't, well that certainly might explain some things & maybe we should reserve judgement on the Bear DBs until they shitcan Desai along with Nagy (RIP).
Desai was the DB coach before being promoted to DC...
wab
Mod

As the guys in the chat can attest, I watched only to see Thomas Graham.

IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 am
IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:17 am

OK I was maybe misremembering. LOL So he's just maybe not a great coach. Maybe he's like a Nagy (RIP)... a schemer and strategist but not a tactician or capable of quickly adjusting.

Anyway... I don't think there is anything about Desai's defense that looks special or attributable to him. Quinn going off this year? Ogle playing well? I don't know... maybe.

Graham being dry-docked all season is a conspicuous mistake by someone. Is it Desai or Nagy or Pace?
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:25 am
wab wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 am

OK I was maybe misremembering. LOL So he's just maybe not a great coach. Maybe he's like a Nagy (RIP)... a schemer and strategist but not a tactician or capable of quickly adjusting.

Anyway... I don't think there is anything about Desai's defense that looks special or attributable to him. Quinn going off this year? Ogle playing well? I don't know... maybe.

Graham being dry-docked all season is a conspicuous mistake by someone. Is it Desai or Nagy or Pace?
I think the Graham decision comes down to Nagy. I'm sure Desai has say, but it's ultimately the HC that makes the call on the gameday roster.
Z Bear
MVP

It is Pace's job to put the roster together and Nagy's decision on who plays with input from his position coaches. So Nagy and Desai are to blame for Graham sitting on the PS all year while every other CB opposite JJohnson has struggled. Would not be surprised at all if he goes back to the PS and gets picked up by another team with these ass clowns running the show. He should be promoted to the active roster ASAP and should be starting with Vildor/Shelly battling out for the slot.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Graham is just another example of mismanagement of the roster. Why, with the absolute inadequacies of the secondary didn't the coaches at least try all available players to staunch the bleeding? And the TD pass to Horsted is just another. The guy just catches the ball, why hasn't he been used more? Too frustrating.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

People should watch Thomas Graham Jr's presser:

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/thom ... conference

He talks a lot about working with individuals on his techniques, and you can tell from his description of the game that he's well-coached and well-studied in terms of watching tape and knowing tendencies.
xyt in the discord chats
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Even after landing Fields and Jenkins, my favorite part of the draft was Graham taking the call from Nagy when we drafted him.
IE
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:39 pm Even after landing Fields and Jenkins, my favorite part of the draft was Graham taking the call from Nagy when we drafted him.
Welcome to the practice squad, kid. You bide your time whilst I play lesser veterans because that's how I roll. Congrats!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Ormazd wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 am That game was like a shitshow and a dumpster fire had a baby.
Perfect 👌
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:57 pm
Perfect 👌
So a slow burning shit in a steel bucket? I can buy it.
GSH
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:31 pm People should watch Thomas Graham Jr's presser:

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/thom ... conference

He talks a lot about working with individuals on his techniques, and you can tell from his description of the game that he's well-coached and well-studied in terms of watching tape and knowing tendencies.
he also says he was awful in camp and pre-season and deserved to get cut and its the way the coaches and other DB's didnt give up on him and coached him up to where he is today. Credit where its due, he didnt play before because he hadnt shown anything to prove his real abilities, he took his shot last night and it paid off. Sounds like a good team effort from all in the org as well as Graham.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

"What were your emotions like when you were cut?"

"I was butthurt."

That was great.
malk
Head Coach

Yikes.

Feel kind of bad for Desai, really wasn't put in a position to succeed. Yes you have to coach through adversity but when you've got glaring, easily targetable holes in the starting 11 going into game 1 there's only so much you can scheme around. Depending on who the head coach ends up being I wouldn't mind him sticking around to see what he can develop if we can at least make sure there's a replacement level player at every spot at the start of next year.

Admittedly we didn't generate a lot of turnovers but that isn't surprising with the red sea secondary.

Anyway, back to the game. Yikes.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Middleguard
MVP

Scores for game 14 predictions:
62 Bears Whiskey Nut
122 otis
158 Otis Day
168 Hema2.0
186 WagonForce
222 mmmc_35
266 wulfy
294 spudbear
302 Grizzled
314 Mikefive
326 LacertineForest
362 The Marshall Plan
366 GSH
384 HisRoyalSweetness
434 dplank
450 Ditka's dictaphone
486 Middleguard / Boris13c
494 southdakbearfan
504 UOK
536 pus
614 wab / crueltyabc
674 Moriarty
726 HurricaneBear
950 AZ_Bearfan
968 Arkansasbear
1082 RichH55
1106 Ormazd
1736 IE
1824 Artbest

Duplicate predictions:
168 G08
494 Atkins&Rebel
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

How am I doing in terms of ranking Middleguard?

Cheers
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural