COVID list grows

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Allen Robinson, Eddie Jackson, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Jesse James, Ryan Nall, and Isaiah Coulter have been added as well.

Pace give me a call I'll suit up. :frustrated:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Funny from a football The Bears Season Is A Joke Anyway standpoint.

Less funny if this is indicative of Delta & Omicron being that much more contagious.

If they sign the entire PS to the roster, do they have 53 bodies?
Maybe not, although should still hit 45 without problem - except that certain positions are more hit than others.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It gets better...
Eight other players did not practice Thursday due to non-COVID illnesses: Running backs David Montgomery and Khalil Herbert, tight ends Cole Kmet and Jesper Horsted, receiver Jakeem Grant Sr., guard James Daniels, tackle Teven Jenkins and nose tackle Khyiris Tonga, who also has a shoulder injury.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roste ... ie-jackson
Let's hope this other illness doing the rounds isn't serious or long lasting or this team could be massively depleted for MNF.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Sheesh!
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Right now - assuming everyone with regular injuries can play, everyone with the (maybe) non-COVID virus is better in time, and no one else goes on COVID - they can just barely field a functional NFL team. This is 46 bodies, so they could add 2 more - except they're nearly out.

Those 3 assumptions are pretty dicey, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Dalton + Shelley added to COVID list.
They weren't going to play, but just shows that the spread isn't done.

Wilkinson is finally back. This may be the happiest anyone's ever been to see him before.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears very fortunate the non-COVID virus impact seems brief

Still - projecting 11 PS players forced into action, 7 of them on defense. That includes 2 guys off the street being handed a helmet and tablet and being sent out to play. (They've briefly played in the NFL, but have no time with the playbook, coaches, or teammates at all)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Dalton was put on the list. Teams need to suit up 46 guys, I believe the Bears are about at that limit now. I don't know if any vaccinated players who have tested positive will be cleared by Monday night with negative tests.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:32 am Dalton was put on the list. Teams need to suit up 46 guys, I believe the Bears are about at that limit now. I don't know if any vaccinated players who have tested positive will be cleared by Monday night with negative tests.
Well so much for a 4 INT shit show.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears’ situation improves: No new positive tests for COVID, DT Eddie Goldman activated

The Bears’ situation improved Saturday with defensive tackle Eddie Goldman being activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list. He could be joined by star Akiem Hicks, who appears close to returning from an ankle injury.

There were also eight players out due to non-coronavirus illness Thursday, but seven were back Friday. There were no setbacks among that group and apparently no additional spread of whatever they had.
They’re also optimistic about inside linebacker Roquan Smith being able to play through a hamstring issue. Nagy listed him as questionable.
With Goldman’s return, the Bears have 12 players on the reserve/COVID-19 list. That includes four starters: wide receiver Allen Robinson, safety Eddie Jackson, cornerback Artie Burns and right tackle Larry Borom.

Backup quarterback Andy Dalton also tested positive, and the Bears signed former Virginia Tech quarterback Ryan Willis to their practice squad as a contingency. They also signed outside linebacker Ledarius Mack — Khalil’s younger brother — from their practice squad.
(If the co-ordinators remain out) Senior defensive analyst Mike Pettine, who has 10 seasons of experience as an NFL defensive coordinator or head coach, will fill in for Desai. Assistant special teams coach Brian Ginn will take Tabor’s spot. Quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo will be the offensive coordinator, but Nagy ducked the question of who would call plays.
Even with good news on the coronavirus front and the potential of more players coming off the list by Monday night, the Bears still had their share of commonplace injuries.

They ruled out starting left tackle Jason Peters, and Nagy said rookie Teven Jenkins likely will start in his place. Assuming Borom remains out, they expect to activate Germain Ifedi from injured reserve to start at right tackle.

They figure to go without wide receiver Marquise Goodwin (foot) and defensive tackle Khyiris Tonga (shoulder). Both are doubtful.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... kiem-hicks
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Oh man, we're about to witness the worst secondary in Bears' history...
Bears CB Jaylon Johnson, S Tashaun Gipson out with COVID-19

The Bears placed cornerback Jaylon Johnson and safety Tashaun Gipson on the reserve/COVID-19 list Sunday, further depleting their already short-handed roster for Monday night’s game against the Vikings.

With the addition of Johnson and Gipson, the Bears have 14 players on the reserve/COVID-19 list. That includes their entire starting secondary — cornerbacks Johnson and Artie Burns, safeties Gipson and Eddie Jackson and nickel cornerback Duke Shelley, who is on injured reserve and had returned to practice Thursday before being put on the reserve/COVID-19 list Friday.

The Bears’ biggest issue, pending the availability of reserve/COVID-19 players, is in the secondary. With safety DeAndre Houston-Carson (broken arm) and cornerback Xavier Crawford (concussion) out for Monday night’s game, the only available secondary players on the roster are cornerbacks Vildor and Teez Tabor and safeties Deon Bush and Marqui Christian.

The Bears likely will have to dip into their practice squad pool to fill in. They have four defensive backs on their practice squad: Cornerbacks Thomas Graham, Jr., Michael Joseph, Thakarius Keyes and Dee Virgin.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... ie-jackson
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dee Virgin is a highly unfortunate name choice, WTF Mr and Mrs Virgin?
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:34 pm Dee Virgin is a highly unfortunate name choice, WTF Mr and Mrs Virgin?
Sure, "Mrs Virgin"... another holy ghost, huh? lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ormazd
MVP

Welp. At least I have Cousins in fantasy. Should be like fish in a barrel.
Z Bear
MVP

There will be almost no man coverage, expect Cousins to 5 yard gain us to death.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:27 pm Oh man, we're about to witness the worst secondary in Bears' history...

I pretty much though we had been doing that all year.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:34 pm Dee Virgin is a highly unfortunate name choice, WTF Mr and Mrs Virgin?
"I'd be straight down the court in the morning if that was my name. I'd have that changed straightaway."

IE wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:02 am
Sure, "Mrs Virgin"... another holy ghost, huh? lol
I wonder if his mother's name is Mary?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

So here's our starters:
CB Kindle Vildor
CB Virgin? Graham? I mean I hope Graham is the best option here considering he was a drafted player and Virgin is a guy with zero starts who got cut by the Lions
NB Marqui Christian
S Deon Bush
S Teez Tabor
xyt in the discord chats
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Remember the good old days of having Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Deon Bush in the same secondary?

Dix and Bush.

Together.
IE
Hall of Famer

You can betcha that after Jefferson's first TD they bust out a low-hanging no-longer-a-Virgin joke.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The good news... and the bad:
Bears return 2 starters from reserve/COVID-19 list

Safety Eddie Jackson and rookie right tackle Larry Borom, who both missed Monday night’s game against the Vikings after getting the coronavirus last week, were activated. So was practice squad outside linebacker Sam Kamara.

Tight end Jesper Horsted, who caught a touchdown as time expired in the 17-9 loss at Soldier Field on Sunday, was put on the reserve/COVID-19 list. He is vaccinated.

The Bears are still practicing without offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. Both tested positive early last week. Bears head coach Matt Nagy said he expects them to return soon.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... oronavirus
I'm keen to see Borom and Jenkins on the field together for the first time.

I'm disappointed Horsted might miss out on an opportunity following his second quality TD reception of the season, although he may yet be cleared in time. Mind you, Nagy probably wouldn't play him anyway...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From the Sun Times:
Andy Dalton returned from the reserve/COVID-19 list Thursday and practiced in full.

Defensive end Akiem Hicks was put on the reserve/COVID-19 list, putting his status for Sunday’s game in doubt. With Dalton and defensive end Mario Edwards being activated Thursday, the Bears have 10 players on the reserve/COVID-19 list, including wide receiver Allen Robinson, cornerback Jaylon Johnson, safety Tashaun Gipson and defensive lineman Bilal Nichols.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... id-19-list
Gutted to see Hicks on the Covid list. I was really hoping he'd have a chance to make his case over these last few games for sticking around next year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Think he’s unvaxxed too (based on mask wearing for interviews). If so he won’t be back this week. What a shame, he already has availability problems and can’t afford this shit. He will feel this in his pocketbook this offseason as will every other unvaxxed player IMO. We’ve seen the impacts on player availability this season, guys are devaluing themselves missing more time than necessary. Modern day reality I’m afraid.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It would be bullshit if this is how Hicks' time with us ends. Hopefully somebody seriously pays him on the open market, but if he came back to us at a market price or discount I'd love to have him back.

Part of changing an organizational culture is treating your loyal players well. Within reason.

Hicks is a guy that's done everything right. I'd rather have him back than not.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Hopefully the list is beginning to shrink. From the Sun Times:
The Bears will get several key players back from the reserve/COVID-19 list heading into their final two games.

Wide receiver Allen Robinson, cornerback Jaylon Johnson and safety Tashaun Gipson — all starters — tested negative and were cleared to return Monday after missing the last two games. The Bears also activated tight end Jesse James and Ryan Nall.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... free-agent
Not sure it matters over much, as Robinson and Gipson are unlikely to be back next year. We still can't be certain exactly what we have in Johnson so getting him back out there for another couple of games will be good though.

Hopefully more will follow as the week progresses...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From the Sun Times:
The Bears finally emptied their reserve/COVID-19 list Monday by activating tight end Jesper Horsted and linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe.

At the height of their outbreak last month, the Bears at one point had over a dozen 14 players on the list. Their entire starting secondary was out when they hosted the Vikings in Week 15.
Will we finally get to see more of the lesser-spotted Horsted?
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 pm From the Sun Times:
The Bears finally emptied their reserve/COVID-19 list Monday by activating tight end Jesper Horsted and linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe.

At the height of their outbreak last month, the Bears at one point had over a dozen 14 players on the list. Their entire starting secondary was out when they hosted the Vikings in Week 15.
Will we finally get to see more of the lesser-spotted Horsted?
Not til fall. Nagy (RIP) is fighting for his job, and doesn't want anyone catching TDs out there. :sick: