Head Coach

To the song by Rod Stewart “Maggie May”

Wake up Nagy I think I’ve got something to say to you
It’s late fourth quarter and the bears are 4th down and 2
I know you’re feeling confused, but Fields is being misused
Oh Nagy why couldn’t you try, to score?

You punted away the ball
Because you don’t know what play to call
You broke the bears and that’s what really hurts.

“Go back and watch the tape to see, where we’re at”
But bears fan expect to hear
a better plan than that
You’re always looking for “the why’s”
But the truth is in front of our eyes
Oh Nagy your offense is worse than Detroit

You call a wild cat on first and ten
Your receivers are never open
They run your route and the bears go 3 and out.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I don't see any way the don't fire Nagy.

But the more I look online, there seems to be a chance that happens. Only a completely dysfunctional organization would do something like that. Oh wait. . .

Or is this a trick question. Nagy doesn't get fired, simply his contract is up at the end of the year.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:52 am To the song by Rod Stewart “Maggie May”

You punted away the ball

a better plan than that

Priceless.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:27 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:52 am To the song by Rod Stewart “Maggie May”

You punted away the ball

a better plan than that

Priceless.
Somebody had a lot of time on their hands over Christmas! :lol:

Nice effort Ditka’s dictaphone.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Thanks pus and HRS

Time, plus enforced listening to a lot of old compilations

Every time I heard “Wake up Maggie”, in my head I heard “wake up Nagy”. :D

Burl
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:31 pm
I can certainly see Coaches who wouldn't want Fields (See The NFL Draft)

Why we would want to hire those coaches though - that doesn't make any sense. The pick is in - Drafting him high after the trade means this is a 3 Year window on Fields somehow someway

Lets hope its the good kind

I'm not sure I agree with this.
If it were the case that there were multiple good coaches available (those capable of consistently fielding well-coached, competitive and successful teams) and you could pick among two more-or-less equal options, one of which preferred or believed in Fields, I think it would make sense to go that direction.

In reality, there are not several good options. In fact, the vast majority of coaching hires will be abject failures never seeing a single extension. Most of the teams hiring a HC this offseason will be back in 4years doing it again.

And the fact of the matter is, Fields could be bad, and so you'd be committed to building your franchise around a single, non-proven entity, which we've seen time and again, fail. I think we have to get out of this mindset.

Yes, Fields is the KEY young piece to the roster. But that should be, IMO, a GM concern, amassing talent for the coaching staff to employ. The GM should also be focused on hiring a coach that can make any QB he is given realize his utmost potential, not one whose fate is tied to the success of a singular player who is an unknown quantity. It's a recipe for disaster. We've seen it.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Why we would want to hire those coaches though - that doesn't make any sense. The pick is in - Drafting him high after the trade means this is a 3 Year window on Fields somehow someway

I'm not sure I agree with this.
If it were the case that there were multiple good coaches available (those capable of consistently fielding well-coached, competitive and successful teams) and you could pick among two more-or-less equal options, one of which preferred or believed in Fields, I think it would make sense to go that direction.

In reality, there are not several good options. In fact, the vast majority of coaching hires will be abject failures never seeing a single extension. Most of the teams hiring a HC this offseason will be back in 4years doing it again.

And the fact of the matter is, Fields could be bad, and so you'd be committed to building your franchise around a single, non-proven entity, which we've seen time and again, fail. I think we have to get out of this mindset.

Yes, Fields is the KEY young piece to the roster. But that should be, IMO, a GM concern, amassing talent for the coaching staff to employ. The GM should also be focused on hiring a coach that can make any QB he is given realize his utmost potential, not one whose fate is tied to the success of a singular player who is an unknown quantity. It's a recipe for disaster. We've seen it.
I like how you put it in this statement >> ".....be focused on hiring a coach that can make any QB he is given realize his utmost potential....."

My original point was intended to suggest that they should not proceed very far into the interview if the candidate expresses any serious doubts about Fields.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

pus wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 pm I like how you put it in this statement >> ".....be focused on hiring a coach that can make any QB he is given realize his utmost potential....."

My original point was intended to suggest that they should not proceed very far into the interview if the candidate expresses any serious doubts about Fields.
I agree, we’re committed on our QB and there’s no reason to change that.
Find the right HC to work with Fields.

Artbest
Player of the Month

Interestingly (or not), the Bears hired a head coach who, as it turned out, wasn't particularly high on Mitchell Trubisky - he had him rated third behind the QBs coming out in 2017 (Mahomes #1, Watson #2).

If Pace is making the hire, it likely will be someone who, at the very least, has a positive view of Fields' potential . If it's a DC or ST coordinator, the selling point will be bringing in an OC who can design an offense that gets the most out of fields. If it's an OC, it will likely be someone that had a high grade on Fields coming out.

If Pace is replaced? Then I think all bets are off.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Artbest wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:13 pm Interestingly (or not), the Bears hired a head coach who, as it turned out, wasn't particularly high on Mitchell Trubisky - he had him rated third behind the QBs coming out in 2017 (Mahomes #1, Watson #2).

If Pace is making the hire, it likely will be someone who, at the very least, has a positive view of Fields' potential . If it's a DC or ST coordinator, the selling point will be bringing in an OC who can design an offense that gets the most out of fields. If it's an OC, it will likely be someone that had a high grade on Fields coming out.

If that’s true maybe Nagy should have been the GM instead of coach. Although I’m not sure there were any people in the NFL that graded Trubisky as the number one. We know his own coach certainly didn’t.

But in all seriousness, given the Nagy/Trubisky thing I don’t know how a competent ownership group could allow him to make another coaching hire that will impact the new QB.
Artbest
Player of the Month

It WOULD be mildly amusing listening to George rationalize why he's keeping Nagy (and Pace)....ditto the apathy and empty seats in 2022

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:20 am I don't see any way the don't fire Nagy.

But the more I look online, there seems to be a chance that happens. Only a completely dysfunctional organization would do something like that. Oh wait. . .

Or is this a trick question. Nagy doesn't get fired, simply his contract is up at the end of the year.
GSH
MVP

even the coach we had at the time, Fox, wasn't high on Trubisky. I dont think thats a particularly glowing reference for Nagy.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:13 pm Interestingly (or not), the Bears hired a head coach who, as it turned out, wasn't particularly high on Mitchell Trubisky - he had him rated third behind the QBs coming out in 2017 (Mahomes #1, Watson #2).

Texans might win more without Watson then with him - at worst (with worse players to boot) they will be equal record wise (*)

(*) Both versions basically just beat up on the Jags and do nothing else - especially not scoring points
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Yes, Fields is the KEY young piece to the roster.
"I'm not sure I agree with this."

When you make the decision - USUALLY - be it a Mitch Top 3 or Fields where you trade up and give your next years 1st - And there was ALWAYS Going to be a Learning Curve for the QB (and the Hope - Not Fact - but HOPE - is the Fields learning curve is very different from Mitch's)

When you take that QB - you are marrying that player for 2-3 years. (Usually)

This is even more true IF you are assuming that Pace stays - Since the Coach won't be the one trading Fields or finding his replacement.

If you hire a Coach that doesn't believe in Fields - EVEN IF THAT COACH IS ULTIMATELY CORRECT ABOUT HIM - You are committing Malpractice.

And you are putting up a Hurdle to Fields development that doesn't need to be there. And there is no plan at all.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

The Cliff Kingsbury/Josh Rosen kind of malpractice?

"Josh is our guy!"

I'm not sure I've articulated my point very well. It is largely that leaning on the coach to evaluate the roster talent is the sort deferential, consensus-building, self fulfilling prophecy leadership style that we attempted with Nagy and that frankly sucked.

"Of course I can develop him. Hire me!"

I want a coach who has a solid system he knows, who can plug and play talent to the best of their strengths, and who builds an organizational/team culture first and foremost. Was Tomlin brought in to make the most of Rothlesberger or because of his offensive prowess? No. He was brought in because he's a good leader and coach. He was a defensive guy and they already had a legendary DC on staff when he was hired, if I recall correctly. Was Vrabel brought in to develop Mariota?

Look, If Fields is the goods, he'd thrive under such a system and leadership. If not, so be it. Yes he is due a significant evaluation/development period due to the resources spent to obtain him, but there are 52 other players trying to win as well. Hire the best coach. Not the best coach you can find who confirms your preconceived notions.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I’m sure I’ve said it before, butI think Nagy is a really good head coach. However, I think he should’ve spent the last four years looking for his own Brian Daboll. Unfortunately he’s spent this whole time thinking he IS Brian Daboll.

If, and I mean IIIIIIIIFFFFFF Nagy stays, he should have no say in who’s OC. And be fired if it even looks like he’s calling a play.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Nagy is as good as gone
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 pm The Cliff Kingsbury/Josh Rosen kind of malpractice?

"Josh is our guy!"

I'm not sure I've articulated my point very well. It is largely that leaning on the coach to evaluate the roster talent is the sort deferential, consensus-building, self fulfilling prophecy leadership style that we attempted with Nagy and that frankly sucked.

I want a coach who has a solid system he knows, who can plug and play talent to the best of their strengths, and who builds an organizational/team culture first and foremost. Was Tomlin brought in to make the most of Rothlesberger or because of his offensive prowess? No. He was brought in because he's a good leader and coach. He was a defensive guy and they already had a legendary DC on staff when he was hired, if I recall correctly. Was Vrabel brought in to develop Mariota?

Look, If Fields is the goods, he'd thrive under such a system and leadership. If not, so be it. Yes he is due a significant evaluation/development period due to the resources spent to obtain him, but there are 52 other players trying to win as well. Hire the best coach. Not the best coach you can find who confirms your preconceived notions.
"Hire the best coach" is a general statement by itself, but I follow your reasoning, Burl, and I agree it's a worthy overarching goal. I don't have any argument against that.

IMO the interview process should provide multiple opportunities for clearing up both parties "preconceived notions" about the other. Hopefully that's where the parties will be able to gain a realistic, and more specific, idea of the degree of their compatibility. The (prospective) new HC and the owner/gm should confirm that they are both "on the same page" regarding expectations for Fields and how he will be coached and evaluated, to begin with, at the very least.

I doubt that Fields will be the only player under discussion during the interview process.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

I doubt there are any coaches that would be turned off from the job because we have Fields. But I bet there are a bunch that would absolutely love to have him to build an offense around. It’s a non issue IMO, hire the best coach
wab
Mod

I want to start by saying I don’t WANT this to happen, but it’s something I think MIGHT happen.

The list of available candidates isn’t particularly inspiring. There’s a lot of re-treads and guys that give off serious Nagy vibes.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it’s entirely possible that they give Nagy one more year because of it. I think he has to be stripped of playcalling duties if this happens. Like it has to be made painfully clear to him.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Man, you'd have to strip gameday management from him as well for me to get on board with that.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:15 pm Man, you'd have to strip gameday management from him as well for me to get on board with that.
Basically all the HC duties.
I might let him speak to the media but I’m kind of passed all the “watch the tape, see where we’re at, find out the why’s”.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He can still run the egg toss at training camp.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I don’t believe teams - even the bears - think this way. How we look at candidates is very different than how gms, team presidents and owners do. Finding a quality OC (Bill Lazor ain’t it)to work for one year with Nagy will be virtually impossible.

quote=wab post_id=282478 time=1640815646 user_id=61]
I want to start by saying I don’t WANT this to happen, but it’s something I think MIGHT happen.

The list of available candidates isn’t particularly inspiring. There’s a lot of re-treads and guys that give off serious Nagy vibes.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it’s entirely possible that they give Nagy one more year because of it. I think he has to be stripped of playcalling duties if this happens. Like it has to be made painfully clear to him.
[/quote]
GSH
MVP

haha, so we're saying he can basically only be the mascot next year
GSH
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:07 pm I want to start by saying I don’t WANT this to happen, but it’s something I think MIGHT happen.

im trying to think of other HC's that everyone was sure would be fired and they received a stay of execution. Hue Jackson in clevo maybe?
Artbest
Player of the Month

Marvin Lewis in Cinci?

GSH wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:49 pm
wab wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:07 pm I want to start by saying I don’t WANT this to happen, but it’s something I think MIGHT happen.

im trying to think of other HC's that everyone was sure would be fired and they received a stay of execution. Hue Jackson in clevo maybe?
GSH
MVP

Artbest wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:41 pm Marvin Lewis in Cinci?

for sure, that one was wild
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 pm The Cliff Kingsbury/Josh Rosen kind of malpractice?

"Josh is our guy!"

Kliff and Rosen, etc was very much the reason I used the term USUALLY. Specifically was the reason in fact.

But even that was that was buttressed by - They had the #1 pick the next year (We don't have a pick in the top 30)

Josh Rosen has Dwyane Haskins vibes - (uh oh is the a cross racial comp?!?!). He was a polarizing prospect coming out and many felt alot of teams were out - out-out on them - Where if they didn't go where they did - they might have potentially had a Jimmy Clausen type slide

I do not think that is the case on Fields (OR Mitch Trubisky for that matter) - It unforunately doesn't guarantee that the QB is good.

One thing I ABSOLUTELY should note about this married to the High QB pick thing - The Cap ramifications for whiffing on a top 5-10 pick at QB (or even top 3) are much different "New CBA" (and by new I don't even mean that new sadly - but when a guy like Stafford came in he was a top 3 paid QB whereas Rookie QB contract is now an NFL Cheat Code)

So there is more wiggle room

Still- Pride is a thing. AND a guy like Mitch OR Fields - there was always a "he has talent, it needs time" factor - Assuming the same GM - and in 1 year he goes from he has ALL this talent that I will trade up at heavy cost to get him - to we should walk away? That is tough.

New GM? That could change I suppose

BUT I was never the High guy on Fields (feels like that is accurate) - but you can't walk away from him after 1 season either.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I feel like this was true on Ron Rivera in Carolina at one point years ago